Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
RU can control Oak if it's mixed right, I kill poison ivy all year with RU at 2 %. I mix a little Arsenal in if I feel like it, but that is not necassary.

Last edited by TheOldTree; 10/23/16.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
Round up works fine on poison ivy. The only people that bitch about Round up, ain't the people that use it.

Yeah, we've killed a lot of poison oak here on our property with RoundUp. Follow the directions, and use distilled water if you are mixing your own.

I've had good results with TechNu but you have to use it right after exposure. Once the reaction starts in your skin it's kinda too late. I've had a few miserable experiences with poison oak. I have quite the eye for it now. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a blast SB!

I get PO and PI just by looking at it too long. Usually end up getting a steroid shot in the ass from the doc.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always got the job of cleaning out the growth around the tree stands.

Seems i was the only one that both of these plants did not bother.
Must have been from growing up in the swamps of MS.
Man i miss those days.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Troy, I feel your pain. I break out just looking at the stuff.

You've been given some good advice here. If I think I've been exposed, I wash in cold water with Dawn.

As far as Roundup goes, this version ( LINK) is what I use around the property when I can't spray it with GrazonNext HL. grin

Sounds like you've been living the dream. Well, except for the poison ivy nightmare...

It's good to see you back on here.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I haven't been around much as of late. Been camping and fishing on the creek property for the last month. The Holston River has been good to me for the last 2 months except for a prop that was completely destroyed and a mean azz case of poison ivy/oak. I have had it on the back of my thighs and between my fingers for 4 weeks. I have bathed in clorox, Aveno oatmeal powder and Epsom salt, taken prednisone, basted myself with Ivy dry, calamine, caladryle, ivearest, hydrocortisone, and steroid cream. I first had it on my feet and ankles and it dried up but the patch on my legs, between my fingers, on my arms and a patch on my stomach won't give up. I wash in poison ivy soap after I have been out and I still end up with a new patch every week. The smallmouth fishing has been awesome so it's been worth it but damn if it isn't torture when you get to digging at it.

I put out some limb lines and run them at night and caught a bunch of cats between 5 and 10 pounds, flat heads and channels. I hadn't put out limb lines since I was in high school. The Grass has been worse this year than I have seen it in 20 years up there. The last 6 weeks have been so bad the only thing you can fish is a grass frog or horns toad or punch the grass mats with a heavy Texas rig.

Back to the prop, I'm always prepared, prepared to bum a pair of pliers from a farmer to straitened the prop out. I'm also always prepared, prepared to fish sleeveless all day because I forgot to replace the tp in my boat. Holy hell I have been having a blast. Can't get pics to post. If you want pics go to bushcraftusa.com and look at creekside homestead under the preparedness/homestead forum. Come and see me, we will camp, fish, eat and drink.

Sounds like you are having a hell of a good time. Well, except for the poison ivy/oak part. I've had that stuff and it sucks!!!!! I still have scars from the chit and the hair on one leg doesn't look like it's growing back any time soon. I feel for anyone that gets that crap. Took a couple months for that to go away too, and caladryl and calamine lotion every day. Yuk!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Living the Dream like a weekend warrior. I'd give my right nut and a good portion of my left one to live up there.

I want to do it all off grid so idk exactly how I'm gonna do it. The well is 40 foot deep and the water is 17 foot deep, I don't know if a 12 volt system of some kind will work. Id like to do solar and led for lights, heat will be easy, a wood stove and a propane wall heater. Hot water and ac are the other concerns. I can't live without it, I'd give up hot water first.

Last edited by seal_billy; 10/23/16.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I always got the job of cleaning out the growth around the tree stands.

Seems i was the only one that both of these plants did not bother.
Must have been from growing up in the swamps of MS.
Man i miss those days.
You don't build up an immunity to oak or ivy. You just have it...for now. Overexposure, though, will kill your immunity and once it's gone, it's gone. Stay away from the stuff to preserve the immunity you have in case you need it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Living the Dream like a weekend warrior. I'd give my right nut and a good portion of my left one to live up there.

I want to do it all off grid so idk exactly how I'm gonna do it. The well is 40 foot deep and the water is 17 foot deep, I don't know if a 12 volt system of some kind will work. Id like to do solar and led for lights, heat will be easy, a wood stove and a propane wall heater. Hot water and ac are the other concerns. I can't live without it, I'd give up hot water first.

I run a 12VDC transfer pump when I'm filling my 300gal tank sprayer from a larger tank. The transfer pump I'm using has a 36' lift, so it would at least move water out of your well.

Look into a large steel tank that you can build a fire under for hot water. When I was little, I remember living in a house that had a coal/charcoal fired water heater. Maybe 40 gal.? I know it had enough capacity to let all four of us have a bath and my Mom washed dishes.

There are also some well pumps that can be hand powered and electrically powered. I think Lehman's carries them; LINK .

Lehman's also has some nice propane lighting fixtures and a couple of propane ranges. Their catalog is better than the old Sears Christmas catalog to me. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 33' is the max lift for water with a suction pump at sea level. If your pump says 36', they're stretching the laws of physics. You need a submersible pump to pull it from any deeper. At higher elevations, the max lift is less.
At any rate, be sure you have a check valve at the bottom. If the water drains out of the pipe, you have to bring it all the way up from the bottom every time you turn it on.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Brush killer will get it

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
if you do get itchy, take Benadryl or any anti histamine.

I have to admit an addiction to frying brush with herbicide.

That sh.. works.

Last edited by TheOldTree; 10/24/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
found your thread over there, and there is a lot of info on it. Thanks, and I am glad I caught up with you there.

Sam......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
About 33' is the max lift for water with a suction pump at sea level. If your pump says 36', they're stretching the laws of physics. You need a submersible pump to pull it from any deeper. At higher elevations, the max lift is less.
At any rate, be sure you have a check valve at the bottom. If the water drains out of the pipe, you have to bring it all the way up from the bottom every time you turn it on.

Good to know. The lift # came from the box. Always have a check valve. grin

Ed

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Interesting. I have been immune all my 57 years. Can roll in it and have accidentally done so with no harm. 10 years ago I got something trapped in a sock while brush busting that welled up pretty good. Since then I have brushed up against it several times with no adverse reaction. I have an aunt who would break out on skin when a neighbor was burning vines anywhere within a mile.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're lucky, so far. Some people will be immune their whole lives but many have found out that immunity can disappear at very inconvenient times.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Troy,
I wipe down with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels folded in quarters. If infected, it's usually through the dog. He'd get the oil on his fur and then deposit it on the couch, etc. So when he'd get in it, he'd also get wiped down. I always have a big spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol in the truck.

Glad to hear your enjoying your new place, with the exception of the poison ivy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go myself a minor case of it from hunting in it the other day. All the best precautions and it still gets me.

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Interesting. I have been immune all my 57 years. Can roll in it and have accidentally done so with no harm. 10 years ago I got something trapped in a sock while brush busting that welled up pretty good. Since then I have brushed up against it several times with no adverse reaction. I have an aunt who would break out on skin when a neighbor was burning vines anywhere within a mile.

Same here, I've been on hikes where several people, if not everybody else got it when we all walked in the same places, but I never got an iota. I was changing a flat one night literally crawling in it and laying in it getting the spare from under a SUV. I didn't even notice until a helper with a flash light pointed it out too late, but to even my surprise, still nothing.

I have a friend who the least little bit, and he blisters and scabs up bad--like hospital bad. Like concrete burns, etc., we all have different tolerances for it I guess.

[Linked Image]
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had it really bad and not so bad. When it's bad, I go straight to the doctor and get a steroid/cortizone shot. It's usually gone in 3-4 days.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 18 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.