Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wow.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/10/leupold-introduces-hand-held-thermal-optic-for-hunters/

October 24th, 2016
Leupold Introduces Hand-Held Thermal Optic for Hunters

[Linked Image]

The new Leupold Thermal Optics (LTO) Tracker is a hand-held, heat-detection device designed as a multi-purpose hunting tool for game observation and game recovery. A high-performance thermal spotter, the LTO Tracker can detect heat sources out to 600 yards. The advanced thermal imaging engine fires up in less than three seconds and offers fast 30hz frame rates.

The hand-held unit features a 20-degree field of view and 6x digital zoom. Five different thermal filters provide multiple viewing options. The LTO’s CR123 lithium battery provides more than 10 hours of continuous use. A user-controlled reticle allow the user to quickly pinpoint a game animal or other thermal source. MSRP for the LTO Tracker is $874.99.

[Linked Image]

Use LTO Thermal to Track Animals and Guide your Hunt
From checking your ingress path to your stand, to helping track wounded animals, the LTO Thermal can perform many tasks. Hunters can use the LTO Tracker to spot their quarry’s heat trail and efficiently recover the downed animal. Using the LTO Thermal, hunters can also plan their walk to their stand or blind with minimal risk of scaring off game. Where legal, varmint or feral hog hunters can use the LTO Tracker to identify their quarry, leading to more successful hunts.

“We see thermal as a vital tool in any hunter’s kit, just like binoculars or laser rangefinders,” said Tim Lesser, vice president of product development for Leupold & Stevens, Inc. “For observation and recovering downed game, the LTO Tracker will help hunters find success in the field.”

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the way they skirt the issue of using it to locate big game.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You noticed that, too, huh?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
this opens a whole new can of worms in fair chase hunting

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Will it find your dopey BIL who fell asleep on stand?

The trend is to remove all human skill sets from the equation.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if this product allows for mounting in front of a conventional scope? Would certainly be handy for hogs after dark if such a device could be had for under $1k.

Now with even more aplomb
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
I wonder if this product allows for mounting in front of a conventional scope? Would certainly be handy for hogs after dark if such a device could be had for under $1k.

MSRP is $875. Street price should be somewhere around $600.

Size and compatibility with optical mounts is yet to be determined.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
this opens a whole new can of worms in fair chase hunting

Yep.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ethical big game hunters will always exist and those who look to take shortcuts will also always be around.

I can see some applications other than hunting for these units....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Scouting with one would be great, I mean locating deer and seeing where they bed ect... before season would increase ones chances I would think. I've actually considered purchasing a flir for scouting but never pulled the trigger.

Also night predator hunting would be a hoot with one that doubles as a sight.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It would be great as a tool to locate feral hogs,but I would not use one for deer,not legal for them here anyway.

But for hogs,I'd use landmines if they were available.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty impressive specs for the money. I've got a FLIR LS-X. I picked it up last winter for coyote hunting. I'd love to compare the two side by side.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It is a nice package, but fundamentally, you can gt the same thermal imaging performance for $300 if you are willing to hook up Seek CompactXR to your smartphone or better imaging performance with a Seek CompactPro for $500.

If you would rather have a self contained unit, Seek Reveal XR offers basically the same functionality as the LTO for under $500. Upcoming Reveal PRO offers a boost in resolution for $700. Seek's Reveal models also have a built-in flashlight, just in case.

I like that Leupold is going into thermal world, but I am not sure I am willing to pay a premium for what looks like a branding exercise.

ILya

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What I REALLY want to know is what is the main tube diameter. It isn't listed in the specs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Damn short skirt....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks cool. It would sure beat a flashlight for locating shot game after dark. I don't understand the posts concerning ethics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/thermal/lto/lto-tracker/

Under questions and answers they state it is not intended for mounting on a firearm.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by barm

Under questions and answers they state it is not intended for mounting on a firearm.

Intent and use are too different things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager

True. But it may fall into pieces if you try to use it for something it wasn't designed to do.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

True. But it may fall into pieces if you try to use it for something it wasn't designed to do.

Wouldn't have to be weapon mounted to raise ethical questions about fair chase, either.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,096
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.