K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Quick look at my app...for what it's worth

A .277 140 tsx.....says .404

A .284 140 tsx ....says .412

Again I know the 7mm has supierior bullets but you have to shoot them.

That's all I was saying. With regular hunting bullets they're more alike than different.

HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Great caliber (7mm), wrong cartridge.

7mm-08.

My brother killed a buck this year with his 7mm Rem Mag at 534 yards. The buck I killed with my 7mm-08 at 541 yards was just as dead.

P

How does that make the 7mm Rem Mag "wrong"?

I could say the same thing about a 280, 7x57, 270.....etc and say the 7/08 is all wrong.. smile

Or I could say the 7/08 sucks if I want to use 175 gr bullets.which a 7 RM handles far better...so....

Funny how people use a cartridge a couple times and suddenly everything else except their pet cartridge is "wrong". That's an emotional analysis.

I love these magic cartridges that make everything else "wrong".

I don't recall the OP asking about the 7/08 or the 280AI....... it's a real chore to stick with the cartridges the OP asked about without interjecting other opinions but that's common around here.... wink

You really

...really

Need to get laid.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I must have missed the memo....I thought all bullet conversations in the Hunting Rifle section were "hunting bullet" conversations.

But never mind.....carry on. I'm enjoying the discussions.

Anyone who doesn't think the Scenar is an excellent game bullet.... has their head in the sand...

Visa Vis....
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...4977783/1/Deceased_via_Scenar_bullet_pix

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How about a 175 ELD-X at 2850? That's a "Hunting Bullet"....

175/.689/2850 = -44", 10" drift, 2100 ft/lbs

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't think anyone was doubting the 7 having better bullets available. I know I sure wasn't. I was just commenting how it's funny that sometimes people bash a 270 and brag a 7mm yet don't take advantage of the "good" 7mm bullets. That's all I was meaning.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kaleb,

On the same page here.

Bob,

I'll leave all the Barnes in the world for you, if you let me have the Scenars. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Fotis
Forgot to mention this rifle will ingest only handloads

With handloads only the belted 7mm RM design requires delicate FL die settings to get their belted case web to last many sizing s.

On the practical side the veteran 7mm RM has been around for decades and the WSM s were made to sell just one more rifle.

With my RCBS dies I've been using sibce 1982, 'delicate' means slight contact with the shell holder, same as I do for my beltless cartridges.

I check the inside of the cases with a feeler gauge and toss the cases at 12 chamberings regardless of whether or not I feel anything inside the case near the casehead/belt. And I haven't had a case/head separation event before 18 with current loads. That's a lot of years of shooting.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Fotis
Forgot to mention this rifle will ingest only handloads

With handloads only the belted 7mm RM design requires delicate FL die settings to get their belted case web to last many sizing s.

On the practical side the veteran 7mm RM has been around for decades and the WSM s were made to sell just one more rifle.

With my RCBS dies I've been using sibce 1982, [/color]'delicate' means slight contact with the shell holder, same as I do for my beltless cartridges.[color:#FF0000]

I check the inside of the cases with a feeler gauge and toss the cases at 12 chamberings regardless of whether or not I feel anything inside the case near the casehead/belt. And I haven't had a case/head separation event before 18 with current loads. That's a lot of years of shooting.

That above is Wrong! The die setting must be made so that CASE just fits that rifles chamber by trying and adjusting the FL die.

NOT by touching the shell holder!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must have missed the memo....I thought all bullet conversations in the Hunting Rifle section were "hunting bullet" conversations.

I'd take a Scenar or Berger 10 times out of 10 over any Barnes bullet for hunting critters without sharp teeth, based on personal experiences with all three bullets.

Tanner

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grinning Don. Keep em coming...

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by starsky
Yes and if handloading why in the wide wide world of sports wouldn't you shoot them? That's the point I'm getting at.

Shoot what, Bergers?

No thanks.

I used 160g Speer Grand Slams in my 7mm RM for 20+ years, same load for antelope, mule deer and elk. Wasn't so much worried about B.C. as I was terminal performance.

After getting a .300WM and several .30-06s, where I use 165-180g bullets, I've pretty much switched to 140g in the 7mm RM.

B.C. is still a more minor concern that terminal performance.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Blonds, Brunette's or Redheads?

Here's what I can say. I do think the 7RM is better than the .270. More case capacity plus bigger bullets simply dictates more overall horsepower.

Does that mean anything on deer? probably not.

Elk at 700? maybe yes.

Eland at 287 yards smashing through the big shoulder with similar sd. as a 150 e-tip?

Nope, the 270 isn't going to match up to the 7mag. And the 7mag was light in this case.

[Linked Image]

This is the first of two shots on my Eland. The first shot slammed into the shoulder, shattering the big bone just below the socket. That 1800# Eland left up and slammed straight down - right foreleg unable to support anything.

That bullet was absolutely perfectly placed, on the right trajectory, exactly dead center...and if it had just a little more horsepower that Eland would have died on the spot. That 150gr. E-Tip didn't get to the heart. It stopped just short, knocked all the wind out of the animal whereby it laid there, for 15 minutes at 287 yards with barely it's horns showing.

When it stood up I took the second and only available shot, clinging to a boxers idea: if it bleeds eventually it fails.

[Linked Image]

Second shot spined it. You can see the dot...broke it. Straight down. By the time we got to it (*which was a damn difficult 287 yard distance to cover...through thorns, vegetation and hills) it had expired. There was no way it was moving...but it wasn't the super clean kill I'd have liked.

Would a .270 have done better on the exact same shot? Probably not. Maybe if I was shooting a 175 TSX perhaps I'd have had the penetration to get to the heart.

I don't think this matters not a whit. Had I missed that big humerous and tucked in just behind the wing into the armpit I'm pretty sure it would all have been academic in the end.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When you look at this photo you can see how that foreleg is rather bent at so many wrong angles.

PS: one last photo...this was the shot from the sticks.

[Linked Image]

In cases like this, there is no such thing as a "brush bucking bullet".

But we're talking about extremes, right? Splitting hairs to find an extreme?

Oh hell. It's 24hr. Why not? laugh

PS: I so miss Africa.

Last edited by rnovi; 10/27/16.

Hunt Africa while you can
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd take a Scenar or Berger 10 times out of 10 over any Barnes bullet for hunting critters without sharp teeth, based on personal experiences with all three bullets.

Tanner[/quote]

Couldn't agree more but then again target bullets don't kill. They just bounce off!😃

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by starsky
Kaleb,

On the same page here.

Bob,

I'll leave all the Barnes in the world for you, if you let me have the Scenars. grin

Starsky I see the pictures of your dead stuff....for what you do and where you hunt I don't doubt they work well for you. I see the utility of a high BC thin jacketed bullet to get expansion at distances past 500-600 yards.

But Im not interested in shooting animals at anything past 600 yards;and 500 yards is as far as I've had to stretch things in 40+ years of doing it,and I already know what works at those distances.

I don't use Barnes bullets either but for much of what I do they would probably work better for me than a Scenar.....I don't know.

How do you think the Scenar would have done with the same hit on Novi's eland?

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/27/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Anyone who doesn't think the Scenar is an excellent game bullet.... has their head in the sand...

Visa Vis....
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...4977783/1/Deceased_via_Scenar_bullet_pix

Yeah I read that entire thread 50 times at least. I notice some people kill animals with Scenars.

I've also gone to the Lapua web site a few times and despite careful review can't find a single reference by the manufacturer for their use as a hunting bullet. Did I miss it?

Dog shooter can you explain that since I assume you've used them on many animals?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great caliber (7mm), wrong cartridge.

7mm-08.

My brother killed a buck this year with his 7mm Rem Mag at 534 yards. The buck I killed with my 7mm-08 at 541 yards was just as dead.

P

How does that make the 7mm Rem Mag "wrong"?

I could say the same thing about a 280, 7x57, 270.....etc and say the 7/08 is all wrong.. smile

Or I could say the 7/08 sucks if I want to use 175 gr bullets.which a 7 RM handles far better...so....

Funny how people use a cartridge a couple times and suddenly everything else except their pet cartridge is "wrong". That's an emotional analysis.

I love these magic cartridges that make everything else "wrong".

I don't recall the OP asking about the 7/08 or the 280AI....... it's a real chore to stick with the cartridges the OP asked about without interjecting other opinions but that's common around here.... wink

You really

...really

Need to get laid.

P

No need to talk that way. I guess you can't answer the question.

If you are trying to convince anyone the 7/08 is the equivalent of a 7 Rem Mag, I could say you need to go do the same.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably best not to draw conclusions from internet sites, Bob.

Actually shooting them may clear thing up.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a deer rifle and lightweight package, I'd pick a 6.5x47 lapua or creedmoor shooting 136-140s. Sorry, off topic I know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For years I've believed the .270 Win is perhaps the best choice for most folks for a dedicated deer rifle. New cartridges and bullets in the last 20 years have not done anything to change that.

Among its features are relatively mild recoil, flat trajectory, enough of the 'good stuff' to reach out past 400 yards (how much further is open to discussion but for deer I'd say at least 500) and easy and relatively inexpensive ammo availability, with lots of ammo options. (Not that handloaders care much about factory ammo.)

If I was going for a long range rig, I'd probably step up to a 28 Nosler over a .270 WSM. Otherwise the .270 would handle about anything I would ask of it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd go with the 7 RM, more versatile.

All that aside, I sure hope this thread keeps going for a while.

Oops, just went back and read the OP. For deer in a light package, I'd go with the lighter recoiling cartridge. Personally, I'd go lighter than a WSM for deer, like .30338 said.

But I sure do hope this thread keeps going a while.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,443
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.