-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why do they call them "APARTments" when they're so close together?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
der, die, das; den, die, das; dem, der, dem"

Der, die, das, die, dem, die das die dem der dem den. I think! LOL

Holy shades of High School german class! Over 40 years!

Ja, Ich auch!

I was stationed in Germany (West Berlin) for some 2 1/2 years but rarely got to speak the language, almost all Germans spoke English better than I spoke German. I'd get into a cab and ask "bitte, fahren Sie, uh, rechts, uh, um die, uh, Ecke und dann, er, gerade aus..." and the driver would turn around and say very clearly, "you want to go right around the corner and then straight ahead, yes?" They'd rather communicate to me in their good English than listen to me butcher their language. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why they call them "Mormans" , shouldn't be "More Women" ?

Persian.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by persiandog
why they call them "Mormans" , shouldn't be "More Women" ?

Persian.
You mean woe to men?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I hear what you are saying, even if I don't know how you spelled it. wink

What I've always wondered about is when the Brits decided to quit pronouncing the R in anything, and why. There's a lot of words that get butchered by them but maybe since they originated the language it's their right. Probably why their so lieberal, too. whistle

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
jorge,

Why is a Parkway a high speed road, and a driveway a place to park your car?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why Clinton and not Klinton ?

Persian

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why Clinton and not Inmate Number 367409?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Their, their...know knead to get a missed in your I's. Morning what sum right want make it moor plane.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Why Clinton and not Inmate Number 367409?

She will be pardoned by Trump or Obama.

Persian.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Many years ago I read an article that explained the reason for the English language (American version) is becoming the international language is because it can be twisted, misused, and mispronounced yet it is still possible to get the gist of what the talker is saying.

The usual way of saying that a ship is arriving would go something like - The ship is approaching the harbor.

But is can also be said in some of these ways the meaning can still be understood.

1. The ship she's a com'a.

2. There's the boat.

3. Here com'a da boat.

4. The boata be a here soon.

5. The ship she's a close.

6. etc, etc

The sentence structure is so complex in many other languages that it is very difficult to misuse so many words and still get the point across.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Although I'm bi lingual english is my first language it's the one I use day in day out in the USA. I was recalling a situation with a friend yesterday where I was sternly scolded by my wife for telling my then 6 year old son that " English is stupid"

Of course sons typically look up to fathers until about 13 or 14. So I still had his attention and was now implying that he did not need to learn to read because english was stupid. The nearly instant evil eye I received from his (step) mom was concerning. She explained to me that I cannot say that to him or he will simply quit making an effort to learn to read and write with proper grammar, or to spell properly.

But I defended my self (in error) that english is actually stupid. Take the letter C for example. What is the use of this ridiculous letter? It's either a S or a K, why bother with the C?

Or why in the world did people as intelligent as Americans who can land on the Moon come up with the silent P? Why are we adding letters we cannot hear? How about other insanity of silent letters, Isle, wrap, knit, wrinkle, listen, herb, castle, One that is fitting for this is dumb!

It's not just letters that cause this stupid language to be far more complicated then needed, it's the words spelled exactly the same that have a totally different meaning! Horn, mole, duck, Seal, yard, pound, jam, foot, light, and this list could go on for a long time!

For that matter is there any functional reason for the letter PH sounding like F? really....... can we confuse this any further? ......... Oh we certainly can, How about the lowly letter X, its almost as worthless as the C, Not even the geniuses at XEROX can figure this out, They managed to use this letter as both a Z and and X!

I never saw Porky pig sleeping in a cartoon with the Letter X streaming out of his pink snout. Yet it is pronounced as a Z much of the time. If the Lettering system is not bad enough the spelling rules can beat that hands down. " i before e except after C".......... Really? All the time...... NOT. That's weird...... oh wait, I guess that word is quite fitting for this rule eh!

Does the period go inside or outside the quotation marks? When quoting at the end of a sentence? ( Anyone care.) Who is a subject, Whom is an object...... really this matters anymore? what are we living in the 1600's UK?

Alright, thanks for listening. Sorry for the rant. As an American I'm okay with our national language being English and would fight to keep it that way...... Ha ha, easy for me to say now that I understand it!......... sort of.

(Did you find the five ( at least) grammar errors in this post? Ha Ha.... English is a funny language!)

IIRC the silent initial p comes from words with a Greek origin/lineage incorporated into English (e.g., pneumatic). Ditto for ph functioning like f. So you would have to ask some long dead Greeks the reason they used extra "unnecessary" letters. Wouldn't be surprised if many English language quirks are due to English borrowing from so many languages.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slavic languages are pretty tough to learn, the gender thing is rough. They also have words/phrases that are used with familiar people like family, and separate lingo for people you don't know, or elders.
They generally have more letters, so the pronunciation is a little clearer.
They also tend to be more polite. US/English is pretty harsh, and a bit disrespectful. I think this leads to a cultural divide.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is Ebonics a second language? smile

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
[quote=JJHACK]
Wouldn't be surprised if many English language quirks are due to English borrowing from so many languages.

I would not be surprised that is correct. Root words in english originate from numerous other languages.
EX: Savvy-corruption of Spanish sabe (usted) (you) know, from saber to know, from Latin sapere to be wise.
Why is it depot is not pronounced as de/pot or police is not po/lice?

Last edited by LostHighway; 11/04/16.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Years ago several Of us historian types were perusing the Bexar Archive Translations of list of contraband French trade goods seized by Spanish authorities in east Texas circa 1730. One word we came upon was a a description of a type cloth that was Spanish corruption of a French corruption of a common (at that time) english article of clothing. The description went something like " xxxxx bolts of cloth commonly used by the English for "redingotes". We pondered this word for several years and we finally ran across it in a french text. Redingotes = "Riding coats"

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Well, English does not require one to memorize silly irrelevant gender articles for every noun. There is but one article and it does not change depending on where it is in the sentence. Spelling aside, English is great. ;-{>8

Actually, English is the best language. You can express more ideas with more precision in English than any other language. There a reason it's the language of business, and continues to progress toward becoming the common tongue for everyone.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not to mention getting around the [bleep] bleeps. smile

Last edited by las; 11/04/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Why do they call them "APARTments" when they're so close together?

If someone told you to keep your feet only slightly apart, one could still say they are relatively close together.

If you pulled a lego model apart , you could still pile all the parts together in a heap close together.

Essentially 'apart' refers to separation, breakdown or division.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 17 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.