-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some confusion is created when religion gets ahold of a word and decides to assign its own meaning to it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then we have foreign names in languages that don't use our alphabet. Who the heck translates them to English, anyway? Why can't they spell them phonetically? Many are impossible to sound out to pronounce them right.
I used to know a Laotian woman who's name was pronounced Pat. Nothing hard about that, but some idiot translator added a silent H to spell it Phat. In English, that's pronounced Fat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I read your post two times. It was too good not to post a comment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Some confusion is created when religion gets ahold of a word and decides to assign its own meaning to it.
Welcome to the world of cults.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I read your post two times. It was too good not to post a comment.
That's actually one of the easier ones as each spelling has an entirely different meaning.

How about:
Bow to the guy in the bow tie sitting in the bow of the boat holding the pine bough.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Then we have foreign names in languages that don't use our alphabet. Who the heck translates them to English, anyway? Why can't they spell them phonetically? Many are impossible to sound out to pronounce them right.
I used to know a Laotian woman who's name was pronounced Pat. Nothing hard about that, but some idiot translator added a silent H to spell it Phat. In English, that's pronounced Fat.

Sometimes you nguyen and sometimes you lose.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever read any Russian literature like War and Peace? Names are a nightmare. Russians might have 5 or 6 names and which one they use depends on who they're talking to. Family will call you name #1. A close friend will call you name #2. A casual friend will call you name #3, etc. A good book translator will just pick one and stick with it all the way through the book. Otherwise, you'll be half way through it before you can figure out the names.
I tried reading the original War and Peace and got totally lost. Then someone loaned me a different translation with the names straightened out and it was much more enjoyable.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ever read any Russian literature like War and Peace? Names are a nightmare. Russians might have 5 or 6 names and which one they use depends on who they're talking to. Family will call you name #1. A close friend will call you name #2. A casual friend will call you name #3, etc. A good book translator will just pick one and stick with it all the way through the book. Otherwise, you'll be half way through it before you can figure out the names.
I tried reading the original War and Peace and got totally lost. Then someone loaned me a different translation with the names straightened out and it was much more enjoyable.

Yes! Read Gogol and Dostoyevsky. Need to start back on Bulgakov's "The Master and the Margarita", when I can!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Xcuse me while I go phuoc myselph.

Of course English is silly, the Brits invented it.

And we supplied most of the technical terms used by the rest of the world.

For example, phairly soon planet earth will seese saying whore and use Klinton instead.

HowamIdoin'?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent 5 years trying to learn German in High School, and never really got anywhere. Then on vacation in Germany, five beers and a pretty girl, and I really got somewhere!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Doin yust fine Dan.

Can you fix this auto correct doe?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Of course English is silly, the Brits invented it.

Actually, the language of the Brits had little to do with English. It survives in places like Wales though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Actually, English is the best language. You can express more ideas with more precision in English than any other language. There a reason it's the language of business, and continues to progress toward becoming the common tongue for everyone.

It's fun watching Japanese anime and hearing an English (or Engrish) word or phrase pop up among all of the Japanese, heavily accented of course.

"Okay" is a universal word understood by all - I've heard it in Spanish, German and Japanese language TV programs or conversations.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[

"Okay" is a universal word understood by all - I've heard it in Spanish, German and Japanese language TV programs or conversations.

Okey-dokey is about as ubiquitous, and funnier.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep four words the whole world knows. F.u.C.K, amen, coke cola! All english. Never been anywhere everyone didn't understand these words!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's incredible that no matter how badly a Chinaman screws up the instructions for some piece of crap that you buy, you can still figure out how to put it together.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Heym06
Yep four words the whole world knows. F.u.C.K, amen, coke cola! All english. Never been anywhere everyone didn't understand these words!

Actually, all are examples of words whose origin is not English.

That is of course one of the great features of the English language - it takes up words, plays around with them, and over time even changes the meaning, and sometimes the pronunciation and spelling of them. Words are allowed quite free rein, unlike some other languages.

That is why dictionaries are so useful, but need constant updating. They don't prescribe the words we can use, and how we may use them. They serve instead to describe them - and it can be a job for the lexicographers to keep up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two women got in an argument about the correct pronunciation of 'neither'. One insisted it's nee ther, the other insisted it's nigh ther. They couldn't agree so when they saw an old Scotsman walking by, they asked him to settle it. He listened to their arguments and said 'It's nay ther, lasses, nay ther.'

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not onry speak engrish know Vienamee.

Rong time back GI, I spend time near Phuoc Dat. Rittre boy serr his #1 mother for 50 P. "She virgin GI!", he say. They arr say that, sound rike burrchitt to me.

Thank you for chance to tark that tark again, it been rong time!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Actually, English is the best language. You can express more ideas with more precision in English than any other language. There a reason it's the language of business, and continues to progress toward becoming the common tongue for everyone.

It's fun watching Japanese anime and hearing an English (or Engrish) word or phrase pop up among all of the Japanese, heavily accented of course.

I hear "OK" over here every once in a while. "baibai" (bye bye) is nearly ubiquitous though...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 57 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.