Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
WCH -
Actually I hadn't noticed that only 3% of the 760s were produced in 35 Rem. That tells us something.

OTOH - The last 760 I had was a 35 R. I had it rechambered to 35 Whelen. smile I know the guy who has it; he lives in La. and doesn't hunt or shoot, just collects guns. He won't sell it at all. frown

That makes it a very RARE 760 (35 Rem) Whelen. wink

To make up for that, I have 1 of 3% of 36000 Model Sixes chambered for 6mm Rem. grin It AIN'T for sale.

hmmm.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
j, my old hunting partner gave a couple in Canada a 6mm Rem. pump.. He liked those folks, so did I, but he saw them more often than I.. He had given them a reloading outfit, then a pump 6mm.. He felt the odd caliber would force them into reloading.. Don't know what happened.. That was the only 6mm pump I ever saw.. He hunted Pa. quite a lot.. That is where he lived. He had shot deer with everything from the .17 Rem. through his .300 wea. A pump .243 was his pick.. I could never warm up to the .243 that much... But the pump is definitely a winner!!

Molon Labe
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is one of the 1% of the 760s produced in 6mm (made 1973). Probably will be my deer killer this year because it groups so well (100 grain Fed factory Hi Shok, blue box) and is pleasant to shoot. I used to lust after a 760 like this in the Rem catalog when I was a kid. Impressed checkering, RK-W high-gloss finish and white spacers were the rage, and I wanted one. Had to wait a few decades, but I got exactly what I wanted.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/14/16.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
RGK -

Yep, Style, Kool, Vogue certainly changes. Sometimes actually for the better. I don't mind white line spacers but I definitely prefer Cut Line checkering.

Even at that, I still like the RKW 'hard' finish. It certainly protects from mars and dings. I wish it wasn't so reflective.
Can't be pleased no matter what. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No shots to report.
I had season interruptus yesterday, a project could not be rescheduled.

Today Mother Natured 'mooned' me. Who says it's a super moon? It ain't in my opinion. frown

I saw absolutely nothing today AND...

I heard NO shot from any direction. frown I talked with a friend yesterday who hunts @ 70 mi E and S from here in a very good lease. They've only killed 7 bucks - way down for them - and yesterday some didn't even go out. Few were seeing anything moving.

Gotta get better.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No pic to post (in my phone) but took a 228 lb 8 point in Maine last week, my first up there in many trips, with an 06 carbine and good ol' 180 round nose corelokts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
No pic to post (in my phone) but took a 228 lb 8 point in Maine last week, my first up there in many trips, with an 06 carbine and good ol' 180 round nose corelokts.

If I had a dollar for every Mainer I knew that used that same exact setup I could retire a wealthy man! Fine choice!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RGK
This is one of the 1% of the 760s produced in 6mm (made 1973). Probably will be my deer killer this year because it groups so well (100 grain Fed factory Hi Shok, blue box) and is pleasant to shoot. I used to lust after a 760 like this in the Rem catalog when I was a kid. Impressed checkering, RK-W high-gloss finish and white spacers were the rage, and I wanted one. Had to wait a few decades, but I got exactly what I wanted.
Bob

I remember watching the woolrich Army come back late after a day of driving deer, they all looked half dead. They used to really work at it back then. My grandfather would always put his 760 in the corner of the kitchen along with his blaze. I would sit there and stare at that rifle in awe. I never dared asked to see it, because I was too young. Seeing all these nice pump guns brings back good memories.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TomM1
Seeing all these nice pump guns brings back good memories.

Wellll, get you one and join the Amish army grin

and make some memories. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You Remington pump gun hunters "Now" have me looking for a Rem 7600 in .270. I had a Rem 760 in .257 Bob many years ago and stupidly let it go. God that rifle would shoot.

That .257 would shoot the Hornady 100 gr and 117 gr bullets about under an inch.

Doc

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Doc my 7600 270 shoots like this grin
Originally Posted by MagMarc
This 270 may work.

[Linked Image]

1st load attempt. I looked at what I had plenty of and remembered several years ago I bought a bunch of 130 Nosler Solid Bases of off the classifieds here. I also have more than a few pounds of H4831. 55gr H4831 in a Winchester case with a Fed 210 got this.

Load workup done! grin

I also bumped up the other thread.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Doc my 7600 270 shoots like this grin
This 270 may work.

[Linked Image]

1st load attempt. I looked at what I had plenty of and remembered several years ago I bought a bunch of 130 Nosler Solid Bases of off the classifieds here. I also have more than a few pounds of H4831. 55gr H4831 in a Winchester case with a Fed 210 got this.

Load workup done! grin

That load will put meat on the table. I had a load years ago for a Rem 700 lefty with the Hornady 150 spire point and H-380, velocity was in the 2650 range....duplicating the 300 savage. It killed deer dear right there. As we get older we find you do't need a "wiz Bang" to kill a deer.

Doc

I also bumped up the other thread.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
You Remington pump gun hunters "Now" have me looking for a Rem 7600 in .270.
Doc

Welcome to the BRIGHT side. smile

Neighbor...it's been too long. grin

You'll never regret it. whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by TomM1
Seeing all these nice pump guns brings back good memories.

Wellll, get you one and join the Amish army grin

and make some memories. smile

Jerry

Ive got one, the one I drooled over as a kid. I took it out 2 years ago and killed a nice small buck with it. I need to get it out this year and make more memories. 2 days until bear season!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bear season opens Saturday in PA. I'll be carrying my early 60's 760 carbine in 30-06.

It has shot many a deer over the years but there are no Bear on it......Hoping to change that.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Tom -

Good for you having that rifle.

Lots a luck hunting bear.

Sykotik, hope you get a bear too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This has been a S L O W week in our area. We've been way too warm, clear skies, Super Moon, & some windy. More days than not I didn't HEAR a single shot in any direction.

Today we had a front go thru, cloudy, windy, Thunderstorms, and rain= .4" I was forced to leave @ 10: AM, crackling, running lightening. I give ! !

I'd like to show you some of what I've been seeing. Yesterday I was STILL hunting and in some places, STALKING.
I made it to this area just just as it was breaking light.

[Linked Image]

I was here when I heard the ONLY shot of the day.

[Linked Image]
This scatt was fairly fresh.
On my way to cross a draw I had this vista.
[Linked Image]

Across a shallow draw this is breaking more open.
[Linked Image]

continued

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
We had SSW wind so I was hunting NNW. It opens up with longer range.
[Linked Image]

Across the opening you come to a pond where the cows and deer water. You had BETTER be stalking.
[Linked Image]

On to the NW you come into another draw between thickets. I was here the other day and watched this 'fryer' till it FINALLY left.

[Linked Image]

Farther to the N past huntable thickets you come into a row of Pine timber the deer travel up/down/across.
[Linked Image]

These photos give you an idea of the areas I'm able to hunt. I can be in very close quarters and w/in a few yards looking across a long pasture. I always carry/use my shooting sticks. I don't have ANY stands, I'm on the ground, still hunting or stalking. I LIKE it.

That is what I've been looking at (hunting) this week. Timber, thickets, draws, pasture...few deer. They are definitely there but NOT moving much during the day this week.

?MAYBE? with the change in the Wx things will pick up.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well here's the place where I should be posting a pic or 2 of deer killed today.

I'm voluntarily going to show that I'm an honest guy.
I 'could' say nothing at all. No one would know whether I went hunting today or not.

I could say I saw a couple of deer, that'd be true.

I could have some excuses.....but,

I have to say I mm..., mmmm.., mmmmissed!! blush There is NO excuse at all. cry It's been several yrs since I missed a deer but today was exactly like the last few misses I've had.

It was a CHIP shot. I took it for granted. smirk I was already taking pics of the buck with my Mod Six. @ 130 yds broadside, standing still. I GOT THIS !! i thot. blush

The worst part of it is, THIS was the biggest buck I've seen on my Uncle's property since I started hunting there in 2012. I can't say it was 8,10, or whatever.

He was Hi, Wide, & Massive.

<edit to add> K M B, K M B, K M B

On the bright side...he's still out there. smile

I hope y'all had better luck than I had today.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/19/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
A Side Note:
We have have been so very dry since Aug.
We had 1" rain - Sept.
........ .8" rain - Oct.
........ .4" rain - Nov.so far.

Here's a pic of a Mineral Trace Salt block I put out the First week of Sept. I only have 2 horses and the local deer have full access 24/7.
I took this pic @ 11/15, so it's been more than 2 months since I put it out.
There have been deer tracks in the dirt frequently but you can tell that neither the horses nor the deer are hitting it hard SINCE hot Wx.

[Linked Image]

When I was a member of deer leases I put out the same kind of M T S blocks. Our deer NEED & HIT the salt HARD in HOT WX. But 'on average' for 9 months of our year the deer DON'T need a lot of salt.

Just an interesting tidbit.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/21/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.