Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I know that Deer season has ended for some, others are hunting currently and some haven't started yet. Here in Ark our gun deer seasons are just getting started.

This weekend is our Youth Gun Deer Season. Adults can/should accompany the youth etc. but are NOT supposed to kill deer. Well I guess you know how that goes with some people.

This AM I saw 5 deer in my pasture, 2 different bucks not together and 3 does who were also not together. We've had a front go thru and drop our temp to 50* this AM and it got the deer moving.

Next Sat. our regular Modern Gun Deer season begins for REAL. I'm kicking off my season with a Rem M Six in 30-06 (6 OH 6) I call it.

I've already had opportunity to kill 1 or 2 does with it this yr. We had a M G Private Property Doe ONLY season. I passed them up.

I'm EXPECTING to kill a few with 1 or more pumps this year. Whether it's a hunt with a Pump you'd like to tell about or post kills with a Pump Rifle in 2016...here's the place.

Good Luck to All

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check my AZ unit 8 thread. Killed with my Model 6 30-06. Great gun that has killed my first elk at 407 yrds, my first deer that is my avatar at 466 yrds and now this years buck on the run at 40-45 yrds.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Our season is 2 weeks away. A 7600 270 will be in my hands that morning.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Next week I'll be in Maine with a first year 760 in .300 Savage. It has a VXIII 1.5-5 in Weaver flip over mount (a previous owner drilled and tapped the receiver). I swapped out the old style butt stock for a newer monte carlo for a better cheek weld with the scope. And if I really get motivated I might take my Savage 170 in 30-30.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm going to carry mine for doe. I'll also be carrying it in two weeks for bear season here in Pa.

IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This AM I went to my Uncle's to do a little walk around and check things out.
I'ts LOOKING GOOD!
[Linked Image]

This scrape was smoking hot. It had just been made earlier.
I took this pic to show the relativity of its size. It's not huge but not small.
[Linked Image]

It is in close proximity where I saw deer, a coyote, and killed a buck in 2012 with my 6.5X55. There were tracks, trails, and hooks in areas where I generally stalk.

Gun Season starts Saturday. I'm ready!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well well, Today is the opener of our Modern Gun deer season.

Once AGAIN hunting a new/new to me rifle was lucky. It's been many yrs since I've hunted a 30-06 but I started our MG season with a Rem Model Six in 30-06. I call it 6-OH-6.
It worked again.

[Linked Image]

This 8 pt came slipping thru the brush into an opening at 9:35 AM. I bleated and he made his last step. He was an 8 and had broken his right side G 3...I had to check him as a 7 pt, oh well. I am shooting Hornady 165 BTSP and hit his withers. He dropped.

[Linked Image]

The butt stock is not red as it appears. Something about the light angle makes it look lighter than it is.
[Linked Image]

He weighed @ 170 lbs whole. In the field I couldn't see an exit wound and wondered but when I 'skunt' him the bullet angled down a little and exited high in the ribs. Nonetheless he only wilted.

[Linked Image]

I guess I need to keep getting new/new to me guns. This makes 11 as best I can talley that have killed a deer on the FIRST day to hunt one.

BTW - MagMarc, my pumps kill buck deer. <grin>

Good luck to all.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/12/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats Jerry! cool

Our rifle season opens next Saturday, going out to check the zero on a couple of rifles this afternoon grin

I only have 1 buck tag left, going to be picky for awhile. I'll be happy to break the new to me 7600 270 in on a big doe or two wink

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have 1 pic of the SAME rifle that gives you a better idea of the color of the butt stock.

The butt stock is not red as it appears. Something about the light angle makes it look lighter than it is.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is the same rifle/butt stock and you can see HOW MUCH the lighting conditions affects a photo. It almost looks like a different rifle but it's not.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice Jerry, might have to take the ol' 760 out bear hunting next week.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Either one of these is up on the rotation this year.
Bob

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The rifle season here opens on Wednesday 11/16. I'll be toting my 7600 in 35 Whelen with a Leupold 2.5 X 8 mounted on her.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx guys. Those are some nice looking rifles.
I thot the majority of deer seasons had already begun. I know that in some areas the seasons are already over.

I really don't spend a lot of time on my Uncle's property. There is deer sign everywhere and buck sign scattered around. This week our WX is warm in the afternoon so in the mornings I'll be observing the deer movement and population. I have 5 weeks so I'll take my time and look for better bucks.

My Uncle wants the population reduced so I will be taking some does.

Good Luck to everybody.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
This AM I went to my Uncle's to do a little walk around and check things out.
I'ts LOOKING GOOD!
[Linked Image]

This scrape was smoking hot. It had just been made earlier.
Jerry

This AM, Mon, 14th, I stalked back by this scrape and it has been hit once that I could tell, maybe twice. There were vertical drag marks on the right side that are not in this pic. IMO they looked more like anter drag marks than hoof marks.

WE had a full moon all night, it was still up at 5:30 AM, and clear skies. I expected more deer movement during mid day hours BUT I saw an aggregate of 8 deer. There were does, yearlings, and at least 2 fawns. The last deer I saw was a fawn by itself by 9:00 AM feeding. It fed in & out of a thicket and I just stayed put to avoid spooking it. Here it was less than 25 yds and it kept going in/out of the brush. Easy Peazy Fryer but too small.

[Linked Image]

I heard few sporadic shots given the first Monday of our M G season. ? ? ? I don't know how many people were hunting but normally a lot of guys take this week off work.

We NEED rain badly. Hopefully we'll get clouds & rain and make things better.

Good Luck
Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/14/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lost my dad this year, never remember him with anything other than his 760 for deer. Can't let it miss this season so it's going out with me for PA rifle season. Funny story was I dropped it off at my gunsmith to have it crowned and he texted me and told me I had won the prize for dirtiest gun he ever worked on. Dad kept the rust off, but wasn't real big on cleaning it I guess.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
M M -

Sorry about your loss.

I too have my Dads M Six, 270 and killed deer w/it last yr.
I hope you get UR limit w/his 760.

Lol about clean gun.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
LOL...I remember a buddy stopping buy after hunting season and was watching me clean a gun. He seemed very interested in what I was doing and I asked have you cleaned your's yet, he said no, Ive never cleaned it. He's older than me and I never seen him hunt with anything besides that 7600. Its been to AK on salt water based hunts, etc. I couldnt believe it. I offered to clean it for him, dont think I ever got all the crud out!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You folks look like you are having a great time.Our deer seasons are behind us, well my tags are filled.. We are bird hunting now, but the whitetail season is still on here..

I used to leave Wy. about this time or a bit before and go to the camp in Pa. But it has sold, decided if I get things arranged for another hunt there, I am getting a Remington slide action.. Not sure what caliber.. Made up two 20" barreled 700's for that country.. But never had a slide action big game rifle.. Pumps are my favorite shotgun.. We will be east in April.. I will have to look over the selection of pumps while there... You guys have some great hunts and keep the photos coming.

Molon Labe
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
.... decided if I get things arranged for another hunt there, I am getting a Remington slide action.. Not sure what caliber...
But never had a slide action big game rifle.. Pumps are my favorite shotgun..
We will be east in April.. I will have to look over the selection of pumps while there... You guys have some great hunts and keep the photos coming.

Don't let it be said that we 'enabled' a hunter to get another gun/rifle. wink

Yes, it was my use of the Rem 870 that got me to using a 760 then Model Sixes. (that doesn't look right,- 6s looks better) grin

WCH - the following copy came from THIS forum; Deer Hunting and pumps (thread- P 97), you will find the numbers Remington produced & % of different cartridges.
--------
BUMP -- in reference to "Hunting Rifles" discussion of no.s and % of cartridges produced in the Rem M Six.

I had filed this post for reference and easy access.

Originally Posted By hillbillybear

While thumbing through the October 2005 issue of the American Rifleman I found a full length article on the Remington 760/7600 rifles. On page 83 there was a breakdown of the production numbers on the 760 and Model 6.

According to this article the total production of the 760 1,034,438 units were produced. Of this figure 62,726 were in the carbine configuration. The production numbers of the various calibers were as follows:

.30/06 63%
.270 16%
.308 8%
.300 Savage 4%
.35 Rem. 3%
.243 3%
6MM 1%

All the following calibers comprised less than one percent of the production total:

.257 Roberts
.244 Rem.

The article lists the Model 6 figures as follows:

36,236 total units produced. Production breakdown:

.30/06 50%
.270 29%
.243 10%
.308 8%
6MM 3%

Hopefully, this will be of some interest and help.

-------- there is more info than copied here** that is if you're interested. Based on your statement that you've decided to get a slide action-- I thot I'd help. grin

Thanks for your complement and I know that some of us have seen and enjoyed your pics of hunts/game as well.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Jwall, thanks for the info..I was a bit surprised the .35 had so few produced, but I guess they are common in the 14 & 141.. My cousin has a .223, I tried to buy it but his daughter got it.. She doesn't hunt or shoot as far as I know..

Molon Labe
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
WCH -
Actually I hadn't noticed that only 3% of the 760s were produced in 35 Rem. That tells us something.

OTOH - The last 760 I had was a 35 R. I had it rechambered to 35 Whelen. smile I know the guy who has it; he lives in La. and doesn't hunt or shoot, just collects guns. He won't sell it at all. frown

That makes it a very RARE 760 (35 Rem) Whelen. wink

To make up for that, I have 1 of 3% of 36000 Model Sixes chambered for 6mm Rem. grin It AIN'T for sale.

hmmm.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
j, my old hunting partner gave a couple in Canada a 6mm Rem. pump.. He liked those folks, so did I, but he saw them more often than I.. He had given them a reloading outfit, then a pump 6mm.. He felt the odd caliber would force them into reloading.. Don't know what happened.. That was the only 6mm pump I ever saw.. He hunted Pa. quite a lot.. That is where he lived. He had shot deer with everything from the .17 Rem. through his .300 wea. A pump .243 was his pick.. I could never warm up to the .243 that much... But the pump is definitely a winner!!

Molon Labe
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is one of the 1% of the 760s produced in 6mm (made 1973). Probably will be my deer killer this year because it groups so well (100 grain Fed factory Hi Shok, blue box) and is pleasant to shoot. I used to lust after a 760 like this in the Rem catalog when I was a kid. Impressed checkering, RK-W high-gloss finish and white spacers were the rage, and I wanted one. Had to wait a few decades, but I got exactly what I wanted.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/14/16.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
RGK -

Yep, Style, Kool, Vogue certainly changes. Sometimes actually for the better. I don't mind white line spacers but I definitely prefer Cut Line checkering.

Even at that, I still like the RKW 'hard' finish. It certainly protects from mars and dings. I wish it wasn't so reflective.
Can't be pleased no matter what. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No shots to report.
I had season interruptus yesterday, a project could not be rescheduled.

Today Mother Natured 'mooned' me. Who says it's a super moon? It ain't in my opinion. frown

I saw absolutely nothing today AND...

I heard NO shot from any direction. frown I talked with a friend yesterday who hunts @ 70 mi E and S from here in a very good lease. They've only killed 7 bucks - way down for them - and yesterday some didn't even go out. Few were seeing anything moving.

Gotta get better.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No pic to post (in my phone) but took a 228 lb 8 point in Maine last week, my first up there in many trips, with an 06 carbine and good ol' 180 round nose corelokts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
No pic to post (in my phone) but took a 228 lb 8 point in Maine last week, my first up there in many trips, with an 06 carbine and good ol' 180 round nose corelokts.

If I had a dollar for every Mainer I knew that used that same exact setup I could retire a wealthy man! Fine choice!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RGK
This is one of the 1% of the 760s produced in 6mm (made 1973). Probably will be my deer killer this year because it groups so well (100 grain Fed factory Hi Shok, blue box) and is pleasant to shoot. I used to lust after a 760 like this in the Rem catalog when I was a kid. Impressed checkering, RK-W high-gloss finish and white spacers were the rage, and I wanted one. Had to wait a few decades, but I got exactly what I wanted.
Bob

I remember watching the woolrich Army come back late after a day of driving deer, they all looked half dead. They used to really work at it back then. My grandfather would always put his 760 in the corner of the kitchen along with his blaze. I would sit there and stare at that rifle in awe. I never dared asked to see it, because I was too young. Seeing all these nice pump guns brings back good memories.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TomM1
Seeing all these nice pump guns brings back good memories.

Wellll, get you one and join the Amish army grin

and make some memories. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You Remington pump gun hunters "Now" have me looking for a Rem 7600 in .270. I had a Rem 760 in .257 Bob many years ago and stupidly let it go. God that rifle would shoot.

That .257 would shoot the Hornady 100 gr and 117 gr bullets about under an inch.

Doc

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Doc my 7600 270 shoots like this grin
Originally Posted by MagMarc
This 270 may work.

[Linked Image]

1st load attempt. I looked at what I had plenty of and remembered several years ago I bought a bunch of 130 Nosler Solid Bases of off the classifieds here. I also have more than a few pounds of H4831. 55gr H4831 in a Winchester case with a Fed 210 got this.

Load workup done! grin

I also bumped up the other thread.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Doc my 7600 270 shoots like this grin
This 270 may work.

[Linked Image]

1st load attempt. I looked at what I had plenty of and remembered several years ago I bought a bunch of 130 Nosler Solid Bases of off the classifieds here. I also have more than a few pounds of H4831. 55gr H4831 in a Winchester case with a Fed 210 got this.

Load workup done! grin

That load will put meat on the table. I had a load years ago for a Rem 700 lefty with the Hornady 150 spire point and H-380, velocity was in the 2650 range....duplicating the 300 savage. It killed deer dear right there. As we get older we find you do't need a "wiz Bang" to kill a deer.

Doc

I also bumped up the other thread.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
You Remington pump gun hunters "Now" have me looking for a Rem 7600 in .270.
Doc

Welcome to the BRIGHT side. smile

Neighbor...it's been too long. grin

You'll never regret it. whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TomM1
Seeing all these nice pump guns brings back good memories.

Wellll, get you one and join the Amish army grin

and make some memories. smile

Jerry

Ive got one, the one I drooled over as a kid. I took it out 2 years ago and killed a nice small buck with it. I need to get it out this year and make more memories. 2 days until bear season!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bear season opens Saturday in PA. I'll be carrying my early 60's 760 carbine in 30-06.

It has shot many a deer over the years but there are no Bear on it......Hoping to change that.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Tom -

Good for you having that rifle.

Lots a luck hunting bear.

Sykotik, hope you get a bear too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This has been a S L O W week in our area. We've been way too warm, clear skies, Super Moon, & some windy. More days than not I didn't HEAR a single shot in any direction.

Today we had a front go thru, cloudy, windy, Thunderstorms, and rain= .4" I was forced to leave @ 10: AM, crackling, running lightening. I give ! !

I'd like to show you some of what I've been seeing. Yesterday I was STILL hunting and in some places, STALKING.
I made it to this area just just as it was breaking light.

[Linked Image]

I was here when I heard the ONLY shot of the day.

[Linked Image]
This scatt was fairly fresh.
On my way to cross a draw I had this vista.
[Linked Image]

Across a shallow draw this is breaking more open.
[Linked Image]

continued

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
We had SSW wind so I was hunting NNW. It opens up with longer range.
[Linked Image]

Across the opening you come to a pond where the cows and deer water. You had BETTER be stalking.
[Linked Image]

On to the NW you come into another draw between thickets. I was here the other day and watched this 'fryer' till it FINALLY left.

[Linked Image]

Farther to the N past huntable thickets you come into a row of Pine timber the deer travel up/down/across.
[Linked Image]

These photos give you an idea of the areas I'm able to hunt. I can be in very close quarters and w/in a few yards looking across a long pasture. I always carry/use my shooting sticks. I don't have ANY stands, I'm on the ground, still hunting or stalking. I LIKE it.

That is what I've been looking at (hunting) this week. Timber, thickets, draws, pasture...few deer. They are definitely there but NOT moving much during the day this week.

?MAYBE? with the change in the Wx things will pick up.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well here's the place where I should be posting a pic or 2 of deer killed today.

I'm voluntarily going to show that I'm an honest guy.
I 'could' say nothing at all. No one would know whether I went hunting today or not.

I could say I saw a couple of deer, that'd be true.

I could have some excuses.....but,

I have to say I mm..., mmmm.., mmmmissed!! blush There is NO excuse at all. cry It's been several yrs since I missed a deer but today was exactly like the last few misses I've had.

It was a CHIP shot. I took it for granted. smirk I was already taking pics of the buck with my Mod Six. @ 130 yds broadside, standing still. I GOT THIS !! i thot. blush

The worst part of it is, THIS was the biggest buck I've seen on my Uncle's property since I started hunting there in 2012. I can't say it was 8,10, or whatever.

He was Hi, Wide, & Massive.

<edit to add> K M B, K M B, K M B

On the bright side...he's still out there. smile

I hope y'all had better luck than I had today.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/19/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
A Side Note:
We have have been so very dry since Aug.
We had 1" rain - Sept.
........ .8" rain - Oct.
........ .4" rain - Nov.so far.

Here's a pic of a Mineral Trace Salt block I put out the First week of Sept. I only have 2 horses and the local deer have full access 24/7.
I took this pic @ 11/15, so it's been more than 2 months since I put it out.
There have been deer tracks in the dirt frequently but you can tell that neither the horses nor the deer are hitting it hard SINCE hot Wx.

[Linked Image]

When I was a member of deer leases I put out the same kind of M T S blocks. Our deer NEED & HIT the salt HARD in HOT WX. But 'on average' for 9 months of our year the deer DON'T need a lot of salt.

Just an interesting tidbit.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/21/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
You Remington pump gun hunters "Now" have me looking for a Rem 7600 in .270.
Doc

Welcome to the BRIGHT side. smile

Neighbor...it's been too long. grin

You'll never regret it. whistle

Jerry

Jerry,

I have searched all the gun auction sites for Remington 7600's and observed the obvious. The Rem 7600's are predominately 30-06's with few .270's along with some of the colder classic calibers. The averaged used price for a 7600 in 30-06 is $550.00. The market is saturated with Remington pump rifles and "NO" demand. The Remington 7600 rifle market is a Buyers market yet no one has told the sellers on Gun Broker.

Doc

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Doc, check Grice's gunshop in Clearfield, Pa. They usually have 10-20 used pumps in the used rack.. Now might not be best as deer season opens there Monday.. I will be there in April of this year checking out the used stuff.. PM me then, and I will let you know what is there.. Plus, they have dozens of new firearms.. Maybe thousands..

Molon Labe
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes Doc I assume you know prices of whatever it is that we want are higher at the beginning of seasons and are reduced after the season. They'd rather move it sooner than to sit on it for months.

I've been in this situation a few Xs and it's hard to wait for better prices.

Good luck on your search. They made more 06s than any other cartridge then 270 and 308, and 243, after those there are quite a few cartridges chambered but in far fewer #s.

Could be someone here on the 'fire' might see this and offer you one.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Doc also I suspect it's more of a 700 buyers market THAN a 7600 buyer's market.
That's MHO

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/23/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't checked GB lately, but $350-$475 is the going rate in local LGSs. It's rare to see one in really nice shape though, and a lot are the synthetic-stocked models that are of no interest to me. Just got to be patient, I guess. I'm thinking a .270 loaded with 160gr NPs would be the beans.

I'm also open to the notion of a Model 14 or 141, if I can find a decent one in anything but .32. Ammo can be found on occasion for the rare ones, and I wouldn't need a lot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone here ever install one of the Timney replacement triggers?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

My dad passed away in July this year, decided his gun should still go out for the opener. This is the only deer rifle I saw him carry my whole life while hunting in Pa and anywhere else for that matter. Bitter sweet day.

MM

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 11/29/16.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice MM!, I still carry my grandfathers 760 when the mood strikes me. Your having a hell of a year with the bear and now a very good buck. Shoot a turkey this Spring and you'll be sewing a patch on your vest.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
MM, your Dad is smiling down on you right now! smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
MM & Tom, I still carry my grandfather's old model 54 .30-06 once in a while.. For probably ten years from the time I was 15 til I turned 25, it was my number one rifle.. Nice to get it out in the hills..

Molon Labe
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
MM -
That's a GRAND commemoration IMO and one that would make your Dad very happy.

That's a good looking rifle to boot.

---------------

The Model Six 270 I'm hunting belonged to my Dad as well.

I've been hunting 'aplenty' but our blessed deer have gone nocturnal. The only deer I've seen are right AT dark. This morning I only heard 1 shot off in the distance.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/29/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
[Linked Image]

My dad passed away in July this year, decided his gun should still go out for the opener. This is the only deer rifle I saw him carry my whole life while hunting in Pa and anywhere else for that matter. Bitter sweet day.

MM

Congrats on getting that fine buck with your dad's rifle.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
M M -

yep, fine buck & fine rifle.

Last night I saw deer feeding between 8-9 PM. Nothing so far this AM. I'm staying with it till 1:00 PM if I don't kick one out. This is wearing me down, lots of hunting no deer seeing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jerry,
I've rifle hunted 9 days and it's been a tough year for the rifle season. Had a great bow season and have venison to eat though smile

I've carried the Six 06 8 of them and will go out tomorrow and Saturday with the Six to finish off the 2016 season.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Marc - I managed to see a Doe and fawn this AM but they were off property. These are the first deer I've seen in daylight except for several AT DARK and I couldn't tell what they were.

This is the longest spell of deer being nocturnal that I've seen in many years.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
my remington 141 in 35 rem
[Linked Image]

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That's a KOOL rifle.

Overkill ? >>grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
bother Bill's model 14 30 remington carbine his favorite
[Linked Image]

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
It still continues...

We had a slow drizzling rain all day, the kind I love to hunt. I began before daylight and stayed till noon....
nothing, nada, zip.

I talked with a long time friend and hunting buddy from NW ARk. He saw a few does & fawns at first light, that's all.

It has to change BUT WHEN ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, I don't know what to think of this year.

I've hunted more days than not the past 3 weeks. IIRC I've seen 3 in real daylight. I saw several on a couple days right AT dark and couldn't tell what they were except deer.

My Uncle lives toward the back side of his property. He has a long dirt driveway and close to his house & garden he has a motion detector alarm. More nights than not the deer sets off that detector. I'm going to take a couple of days break.

I've been in good places AT daylight, seen fresh hookings and tracks in muddy places. The deer are there just NOT moving in daytime. Sheesh, I'm exhausted.

I hope others are having better hunts than I am.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think your thread jinxed me laugh

My rifle season is over and I finally saw deer the last 2 days but it didn't work out this year. I did enjoy carrying the pump rifles around and it beat work by a wide margin wink

Back to bowhunting and late ML.

Happy Birthday Jerry!

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
First Marc -
I'm very sorry and HOPE I didn't jinx anyone. I don't wish this kind of season on anyone.

Thanks for the B Day wish. Actually it is tomorrow 12/7, Pearl Harbor Day but some yrs later. My mind says I can everything I USED to do....

My body says...oh no you don't !! grin whistle

Sadly my body wins too often !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was joking about the jinx wink

A huge acorn crop and a major weather shift on opening day moved the deer off the mountain. They can find food anywhere this year. The last 2 days of the season they started coming back in. The late season could be interesting this year.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep I understood.

The main problem where I hunt is the deer can eat and bed ANYWHERE they want and don't have to travel far to water. There are 2 bona fide ponds plus 2-3 mud pits that hold water.

Since I'm hunting alone it useless to push thru the thickets and jump the bedded deer out in the open WHILE I'm in the thicket.

One thing surprises me more than anything else is the lack of bucks **moving** looking for does. I know we have many more does than bucks. I've KEPT ON hunting so far expecting A, SOME buck/s to be prowling looking for hot does ?????

Good Luck w/bow & mzl

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, wouldn't you know it ! I'm taking a couple days off from hunting because I'm worn out.

This AM at 7:00 I went to feed my horses. There were TWO bucks at my S fence. I fed the horses and came back to the house and got my 6-OH 6 and eased back to the barn.

They had moved into the brush and I could tell they were TWIN 1 1/2 forked horns--MAYBE 6pts--MAYBE. I had a good shot on one of them but I could NOT tell if there was a THIRD point on one side or not.

If it weren't for the 3 pt LAW, I had meat 80 yds from my barn and myself. The 3 pt on 1 side can be VERY difficult to tell even on larger bucks. I've posted pics of at least 2 large bucks w/large racks and the 3rd points were HARD to see in the woods.

OH WELL ! ! It was nice to see them in daytime on my B day.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Always better than not seeing them grin

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I did take Wed & Thurs off (kinda).

I told you about seeing the 2 young bucks Wed AM. I didn't hunt anymore till Thurs late eve. Here on my place I watched the last hour Thurs afternoon. I saw something I've never seen before.

There wound up being at least 4 or 5 Does, yearlings, fawns. One of the Does was running around with a fawn TILL she got serious.

She was -really - SERIOUS about running the fawn off. She put her head down and was INTENSE (read FAST) chasing the fawn. It didn't take long for the fawn to get the message. After just 1 1/2 loops (sorta) the fawn disappeared and did NOT come back.

You could see the aggression - intensity. I've been around horses since I was a kid. There AIN'T a horse that can run and turn as fast as the Doe did. It was IMPRESSIVE.

We had our coldest night last night 23*. I hunted till 9: this AM and then the last few hours tonight. NADA.

I'll be back to full tilt tomorrow.

Good Luck to all.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a FIRST time TREAT today !

My Son and Grandson came and hunted w/me this AM. The Grandson is the one I pictured in the 2016 Dinkathon where he killed his FIRST deer/buck w/his Dad's-Grandpaw's-Great Grandpaw's Rem 700 243 BDL.

Since I don't have ANY stands AT ALL, we walked slow and actually stalked thru some places. The deer weren't moving, I hunted till 9: AM before they joined me.

However - at 1 place we split up and they went around a thicket and I stayed and paralleled them on the other side. They jumped a BEDDED pair of deer. 1 was a forked horn and the other was DEER. My Son had a shot at the forky but it wasn't legal. I saw the deer running thru thin brush but really had no shot.

They're still doing at night. I don't know IF it going to change.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After hunting Alberta for moose and MI and WI deer seasons with no trigger time, it only took me to the second afternoon to get this one in KS. My biggest buck ever! 270Win and Speer 150HC

And then...it was 'Miller Time!

[Linked Image]

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
After hunting Alberta for moose and MI and WI deer seasons with no trigger time, it only took me to the second afternoon to get this one in KS. My biggest buck ever! 270Win and Speer 150HC

[Linked Image]

That is a MAGNIFICENT Buck!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

[Linked Image]

7600 270 and Speer Hot Core, it doesn't get any better than that! grin

Congrats!

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
W N

Fantastic.
Thnx for posting here.
Keep it up.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Remington 760/7600 series should be considered classic deer rifles. Heck of a buck... "Whelen Nut".

Doc

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
brown is DOWN

well maybe. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
brown is DOWN

well maybe. grin

Yup! grin

Hey Doc E--pretty sure you would like a 270 Rem pump. Harder to find than a hot-6, though. Good luck with your search.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The 270 pumps are very slick but there are a few around, I stumbled right into mine laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=jwall] Well well, Today is the opener of our Modern Gun deer season.

Once AGAIN hunting a new/new to me rifle was lucky. It's been many yrs since I've hunted a 30-06 but I started our MG season with a Rem Model Six in 30-06. I call it 6-OH-6.
It worked again.

[Linked Image]

This 8 pt came slipping thru the brush into an opening at 9:35 AM. I bleated and he made his last step. He was an 8 and had broken his right side G 3...I had to check him as a 7 pt, oh well. I am shooting Hornady 165 BTSP and hit his withers. He dropped.

[/b]
[b]

Jerry, I missed this. I must have been in Michigan about then.

Nice buck, cool rifle! BUT, the cheek piece is on the wrong side!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That buck is awesome Paul!!
Congrats again!

Camp is where you make it.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Whelen
Hey Doc E--pretty sure you would like a 270 Rem pump. Harder to find than a hot-6, though. Good luck with your search. [/quote]

Yes Indeed. IIRC @ 50% of the pumps were made in 'hot 6'

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/12/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

[/b]
[b]

Thnx W N

The cheek piece is on the left side...

That's RIGHT for those who are in their LEFT brain.

My bucks don't compare to y'all's Kansas bucks...

but mine are WILD not PEN fed. whistle
grin grin

Kidding you. Of course.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[/b]
[b]

Thnx W N

The cheek piece is on the left side...

That's RIGHT for those who are in their LEFT brain.

My bucks don't compare to y'all's Kansas bucks...

but mine are WILD not PEN fed. whistle
grin grin

Kidding you. Of course.

Jerry

Dang it. Scott was supposed to 'photoshop' that section of high fence and the corn pile out of the picture! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
That buck is awesome Paul!!
Congrats again!

Thanks, Tom.

Buck of a life-time for me...but I ain't retiring just yet! laugh

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Buck of a life-time for me...but I ain't retiring just yet! laugh

Remember who said, "NEVER give up!" ? Jim V.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

HALELUJA ! HALELUJA ! I say twice because I have 2 reasons to be happy.

FINALLY I saw deer in the daylight (barely). At 6:50 AM I was going out beside the barn to watch for deer. I saw 4 dark shapes---it was cloudy and dim. I grabbed my binos and sure nuff DEER !

I grabbed my 6-oh-6 and picked out THE buck I'd been looking for since Oct.
[Linked Image]

The white is his belly. I took the orange barrel there to help me LRF and identify the spot. He was 135 yds - withers - DRT.

No.2, I'd seen this buck once or twice and I called him Freak Buck. I've also seen a NICE 8 pt but I WANTED Freak first if I had a choice.

[Linked Image]

I knew he was a small 3 pt right antler and 2 spikes straight up on the left. I've mentioned him in another thread but not this one. I've been hoping to REMOVE him from the herd. DONE.

He was with 3 other deer. A small forky and 2 Does (?)-no antlers anyway. The fork horn looked like 1 of the 2 I saw last week. Can't be positive.

Actually there is a 3rd point (1" long) behind the smaller one but it's not visible in the pic.

When I got to him, I saw a hole in the lower part of his neck. I knew I didn't shoot him in the neck. Upon investigation-- that was where he was GORED by another buck. I dug around and opened it up a lot. There were NO fragments or bullet and NO exit. Another buck had gored him.
[Linked Image]

Freak weighed 145 lbs whole. Our deer don't get that heavy in 2 1/2 yrs. I'm convinced he was 3 1/2 yr old. Also it may show in the pics but the amount of MASS is more than our 2 1/2 YOs.
The left tall spike was 9" around the curve PLUS the 2 short ones. This was NO injury. Those spikes grew out of the pedicle in somewhat natural looking way.

AGAIN the M Six - 30-06 scored this year.

[Linked Image]

A little humor (anti doke- grin). I was right behind the house and my wife was in the bathroom, very close. After I shot I went back in the house and asked her if she was awake. "I am NOW !" lol

Continued due to pic limitation...

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to see you at least got out of the house! laugh

Good choot'n, Jerry! It appears your '6 oh 6' was more than up to the job. Congrats!

I buy Kano by the 4oz can. Man, you must clean your guns pretty often! grin crazy

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
As I said early on in this thread, it's been many years since I've hunted any 06. They still work.

[Linked Image]

I'll only post 1 more pic to give a better idea of Freak's left side spikes. IF you look close in this pic and 1 of the others you can see that 3rd short spike. It AIN'T important to me but being 1" long he qualifies as a 6 pt.

[Linked Image]

Also if you look at his face and long nose he shows more age. Our MG deer season ends Sunday BUT we have 3 days after Christmas - 26,27,28.

I'm going to hunt some more but finally I feel some reward for all the long hours, walking, studying, scratching my head, and WONDERING. Remember this was EARLY and the deer were headed E and there is a LOT of uninhabited land. I might not have EVER seen this deer again this season.

WHEEOO--Relief.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good deal! And good shootin'....
The 30 Whelen in a self-shucker is still my go-to.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats Jerry!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker

HALELUJA ! HALELUJA ! I say twice because I have 2 reasons to be happy.

FINALLY I saw deer in the daylight (barely). At 6:50 AM I was going out beside the barn to watch for deer. I saw 4 dark shapes---it was cloudy and dim. I grabbed my binos and sure nuff DEER !

I grabbed my 6-oh-6 and picked out THE buck I'd been looking for since Oct.
[Linked Image]

The white is his belly. I took the orange barrel there to help me LRF and identify the spot. He was 135 yds - withers - DRT.

No.2, I'd seen this buck once or twice and I called him Freak Buck. I've also seen a NICE 8 pt but I WANTED Freak first if I had a choice.

[Linked Image]

I knew he was a small 3 pt right antler and 2 spikes straight up on the left. I've mentioned him in another thread but not this one. I've been hoping to REMOVE him from the herd. DONE.

He was with 3 other deer. A small forky and 2 Does (?)-no antlers anyway. The fork horn looked like 1 of the 2 I saw last week. Can't be positive.

Actually there is a 3rd point (1" long) behind the smaller one but it's not visible in the pic.

When I got to him, I saw a hole in the lower part of his neck. I knew I didn't shoot him in the neck. Upon investigation-- that was where he was GORED by another buck. I dug around and opened it up a lot. There were NO fragments or bullet and NO exit. Another buck had gored him.
[Linked Image]

Freak weighed 145 lbs whole. Our deer don't get that heavy in 2 1/2 yrs. I'm convinced he was 3 1/2 yr old. Also it may show in the pics but the amount of MASS is more than our 2 1/2 YOs.
The left tall spike was 9" around the curve PLUS the 2 short ones. This was NO injury. Those spikes grew out of the pedicle in somewhat natural looking way.

AGAIN the M Six - 30-06 scored this year.

[Linked Image]

A little humor (anti doke- grin). I was right behind the house and my wife was in the bathroom, very close. After I shot I went back in the house and asked her if she was awake. "I am NOW !" lol

Continued due to pic limitation...

Jerry
Good deer to take out and a great looking rifle.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Good choot'n, Jerry! It appears your '6 oh 6' was more than up to the job. Congrats!

laugh laugh Maybe I'll put a feeder in the den ? grin

This Fall alone I've seen 7 different bucks in my pasture. 2-3 illegal,
a VERY nice 8, FREAK, can't remember exactly but I have kept count.

Really Paul I don't clean my rifles excessively---I just don't handle them with GREASY hands. whistle

Thnx
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane

Maybe Whelen knew summin, huh ? whistle

I've killed many more with the Six 270 W, even tho it's a coyote rifle. laugh

Thnx
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx Marc & Troutnut

Appreciate your compliments & yeah I really WANTED to remove Freak

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I buy Kano by the 4oz can. Man, you must clean your guns pretty often! grin crazy

OKAY Paul, I'm up to speed now. blush

A little background. My dad was a backhoe/dozer operator for many years. He built several trailers, the first low-boy I ever saw in the early 60s; stock trailers; a few to haul backhoes and others.

I left home in 67 and wasn't back close till 86. Dad passed in 98. I have NO idea how long Dad had that barrel or IF he bought it full or NOT>>don't know.

I 'goggled' KANO cleaner to see what it was. That barrel of KANO was virtually empty. As I said I had never read the label. I emptied and CLEANED it out thinking I'd put diesel fuel in it. Well it leaked too much. I put a LOT of JB Weld on it and still had pin holes. So...

[Linked Image]

Now I can properly appreciate your jest. grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

This Fall alone I've seen 7 different bucks in my pasture. 2-3 illegal,
a VERY nice 8, FREAK, can't remember exactly but I have kept count.

Well this AM I saw ANOTHER different buck I haven't seen before. This makes 8>> He was chasing another deer hard. I hollered to make him stop so I could judge him at all.

His antlers were ALSO mismatched similar to yesterday's. Today's buck had a wide <read palmated> antler on his 'right' side and the left was almost not visible.

?? Maybe?? related to yesterdays. I can't say how similar but mismatched noticeably.

[Linked Image]

I didn't shoot because I wasn't sure he was legal. I could NOT make out a 3 pt on his right side. The angle was 1/4ing away from me. Maybe he'll give me a better look.

At least he's on the hit list if legal.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We should call you "Willie the wonky deer killer" laugh

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That's MIGHTY fine w/me.

REALLY I wanted to kill Freak before shooting the really nice 8 I've seen and a neighbor has told me about.

Whenever possible I KILL OUT <read cull> undesirable genetics. It IS a priority with me.

The buck this AM came running from the E and then turned N to come into my pasture. I had NOT seen that buck anytime this year. On my East there are 100s of acres for deer to live and hide. I only have a few neighbors who hunt OR eat deer.

I'll do their part.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, we both learned something. I didn't know the Kano brand was that old. I thought it was some new-fangled stuff. smile I mix it half/half with Shooter's Choice.

Good plan, getting rid of the freaks when possible. I had my eye on one this year prior to season then he disappeared. After the buck tags were filled he showed up one morning at 25yds while hunting coyotes. Never fails!

Good luck on filling your other tag. I didn't know you guys had a 3pt rule. How's that been working out?

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Good luck on filling your other tag. I didn't know you guys had a 3pt rule. How's that been working out?

I also have a few days of Mzl season in Dec BUT they are nearly useless in MY pasture. Most of my shots will be farther than I'm comfortable shooting a Mzl.

REGARDLESS of type of gun season the 3 pt rule is the same. The shortest point MUST be at least 1".

The 3 Pt Rule has had 2 particular results.

1. At first, it ONLY allowed young bucks to live ONE more year. That allowed them to be 3 points or more, visible.
Don't get me started on 'fawn killers' and yearlings. crazy

Too many don't or can't understand that every 'button' buck they kill IS an ANTLERED buck they will never see nor get to shoot. Makes NO sense to me. crazy

2. I'm used to the 3 pt rule by now, it's been several years. But I can tell you sometimes it's VERY difficult to see a 3rd point even on large INFERIOR bucks. frown
i.e.
[Linked Image]

This 6 (SIX) point was in a cut over pushing a doe. He is 17 1/2" inside spread and weighed 175-178 lbs. It took me a while-- glad they stayed in the c/o long enuff--to see A 3rd point.

Suffice it to say...I pass on smaller bucks UNLESS I can see 3 on 1 side. Sometimes it SUX. frown

Per tags - I have tagS available for use. I can kill 4 Does if I wanted. This yr. I don't need the meat. smile

Thanks Paul, I appreciate your input.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane

Thanks S

A good 06 is very usable & dependable. IMO it's overkill on the average WT. It certainly is more than needed BUT I'd rather have too much as too little.

I feel the 06 comes into its own, on game larger than average WT. Our own 458 W says it's dependable Brown Bear medicine. Even there I'd rather have too much as too little.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Jwall, great buck... I love freak heads... Well done, and with an 06, who would have thought that.. Must try mine next year.. Planned to take it this fall, but didn't get a chance to shoot it before the trip..

Molon Labe
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Jwall, great buck... I love freak heads... Well done, and with an 06, who would have thought that..

Thanks W C H. I haven't thot about liking Freak heads before, mostly I've seen INFERIOR racks.

This one is the FREAKIEST I've seen or kilt. I wouldn't spend the $$ but it would make a good mount. I may Euro it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I sure would save the horns, but I have all the horns we ever shot but a couple!!

Molon Labe
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
W C H

I keep antlers except the short spikes I 'USED' to kill.
1 set a dog drug (dragged) off.
I have 3 mounted but gave 1 to a neighbor for decor.

I definitely will keep this FREAK set, not sure what I'll do w/them but I'll have them thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Today is the last day of our 'regular' M G deer season. I haven't seen a deer since Thursday when I saw that 'other' possible freak.

Wouldn't you know it ? This afternoon I saw 9 ( NINE ) between 4:25--5:00 PM. There were 2 problems.

1. Not a single visible antler. They were Does and at most yearlings.

2. Not on my property. UGH!!

Oh well, I still have a little time later.
Next week, 26-27-28 is the 3 day after Christmas MG then

29-30-31 is Muzzleloader season! That will be the END of any/all gun deer seasons for 2016 . Archery runs thru Feb but I haven't hunted archery in many years.

I also haven't hunted a Mzl in a while but I may this year.

I don't remember how long it has been since we had such an extended period when the deer were nocturnal.

Never Give Up.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Nothing wrong with freak antlers. I killed this one 2 years ago with a 7600 carbine.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JDK--heck of a 'bull neck' on that guy! Nice!

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
JDK--heck of a 'bull neck' on that guy! Nice!

+2 PLUS he is hanging--pulling down-- from his head.

That stretches the neck SMALLER in dia. I've seen that on some big bucks. His neck was/is BIGGER laying horizontal.

GREAT buck.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
He was a nice deer. I killed him the last day of rifle season and he was pretty run down but was still chasing does. His back foot/hoof had a cyst or tumor which may have lead to the antler deformity.

My kids said he also needed glasses for me to get close enough to kill him.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
laugh laugh laugh

Congrats ANYWAY--regardless.

BTW I've killed a few suicidal deerS myself. wink

In the case of the one I call FREAK, there is no evidence of prior injury AND..
last Thursday I saw another buck that MAY be related to him. I don't know positively they are related but...

the one Thursday had a normal antler on his Right side and

his Left side looked small & WEIRD. Plus both live/ed in the area.

I think there's the likely hood it is GENETIC. IF SO I want to remove them from the gene pool.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well guys, I hope you'll forgive me.

blush blush blush

I'm so ashamed! I fell off the 'pump rifle' wagon today.

[Linked Image]

It started raining during the night and we've had rain off/on all day. I left the Six 06 (6 OH 6) home in the dry. I have 'SYNTHETIC' stocked rifles FOR bad weather.

I haven't shot the Tikka since Oct when I checked the scope.
I guess it stayed put. Her head was just about as long as that 4-12X40 AO scope.

[Linked Image]

It was after 8:30 AM when I saw the first deer IN the rain. It wound up being 6 Does & fawns. I watched them mingling in the brush feeding. It was hard to tell how many but finally they single filed across a small opening--6.

I held my fire not being sure which was which. After a bit I noticed ANOTHER (7) Doe alone. She was obviously an adult and none of the others paid her any attention. I MADE SURE it did NOT have ANY antler.

After several minutes it dawned on me that she was NOT going with or in the same direction as the others. Since it was raining I was not going to have to 'blood trail' her. I had an open shot on her neck or shoulder--took the neck.

DRT = Dropped Right There!

No looking, No wondering, No Trailing, No blood washed away by rain. SIMPLE. I like it that way.

[Linked Image]

She was an ADULT dry doe. I could not even squeeze any milk out of her udder (tits). She was either in heat or had just come out. Her vag was larger than normal and was 'odoriforus'.

I killed a Doe some yrs. back that STUNK as bad as ANY buck I've ever smelled. This Doe was not that 'loud'.

/|/|/|/

I was back to the house when a friend stopped by with his deer.
He lives about 1 1/2 mi from me. He didn't say and I didn't ask where he was hunting, I know it's on a lease.

[Linked Image]

We are FRIENDS so I told him it was a shame to shoot such a littleun, that it's mother was still looking for him. laugh
Obviously that a good deer and I'd kilt it as soon as the firing pin hit the primer. grin

I like hunting in the rain.

Good Luck Guys

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, I'll admit it, I once shot a doe with an old Marlin 38-55. So I will forgive you. blush

But...stainless, synthetic, and a Tikka? shocked

grin laugh smile

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
OK, I'll admit it, I once shot a doe with an old Marlin 38-55. So I will forgive you. blush
But...stainless, synthetic, and a Tikka? shocked
grin laugh smile

smile
Yep. aka - JWs - All Weather

I can't remember WHICH but..either Bill Jordan OR Skeeter Skelton said, (I think Skeeter)

"There's nothing more practical than SS & Rubber grips" talking about handguns.

That STUCK w/me BEFORE he/they passed.

Both of those guys helped mold me during my formative gun years. I miss 'em.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
" baduh, baduh, that's all folks". This wraps it up for me for 2016. Today is the last day of Gun Deer Season even tho it was Mzl.

Next weekend we have Sat-Sun Youth Hunt, but I don't have any yutes close enuff to take.

The Doe in the last post was the LAST deer I've seen this week. I've hunted some every day and decided to devote these last few days to seeing the second 'odd' buck I saw the other day. NO luck.

I've been thinking about the 2017 Deer Season. I have another project rifle "I THINK" is close to being huntable.

Project 1 is a 98 Mauser Custom 284 Win. Whatever 'dumbcluck' smith drilled/tapped the scope base holes did a YUCK up job of it. The rear base is 'noticeably' OFF left.

I don't know any smith close that I trust to fill & re drill & tap. I have found some "Windage Adjustable" scope rings and HOPE they will ALIGN close enuff. I've never used windage adjustable rings...so I don't know. MAYBE

Since the 284 is antiquated I'm loading a nostalgic powder, Surplus 4831 under 139 gr bullets. I've done a little testing and I'm NOT trying to find the fastest load possible. My goal in vel is +/- 3000 fps. I feel the 98 is capable of pressure = to modern rifles NOT the Win 88.

SOON and very soon I plan to mount the scope. Hopefully it'll work and I can get some graphing done.

Project 2 is my 6.5X55 (Swede) using 120 NBT at +/- 3000 fps. The load is ready I just have NOT hunted it yet. I really wanted to hunt the OLD 30-06, especially the Six 06.
I've very happy & satisfied with the rifle & load.

Happy New Year to all! ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
A Brief Update:

Today I went back to my Uncle's just to look around a little Post Season.

The First Pair of Pix are of the same scrape from 11-07 / 1-3-17
I didn't remember precisely how far away I was from the scrape & tree.

[Linked Image]

-----------

[Linked Image]

The second pair are close ups. 11-07 / 1-3-17

[Linked Image]

----------------------------

[Linked Image]

We had 7/10" rain yesterday ! Almost 2 months between the photos....it's still active.

PLUS
1 of the bucks I killed this yr. came from this 'area'. I don't have any game cams but it would be nice to see what/which/how many bucks used this scrape THIS year.
The size of this scrape doesn't make me think there is a large buck using it. ? ? ?

There was a scrape here in 2015-16 ALSO.

+ * + * This is the first time I am seriously considering getting/using A game cam. I see it as a 2 edge sword. It would be nice to know what is using the trail/scrape.....

It might make me wait for a buck that NEVER shows up!

Decisions, decisions.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/03/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a line on a really nice 760 in 222 for $650.

If I buy it, I would want to flip it for a $250 profit.

Anybody interested?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have a line on a really nice 760 in 222 for $650.

If I buy it, I would want to flip it for a $250 profit.

Anybody interested?

Gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Brief Update:

Today I went back to my Uncle's just to look around a little Post Season.

The First Pair of Pix are of the same scrape from 11-07 / 1-3-17
I didn't remember precisely how far away I was from the scrape & tree.

[Linked Image]

-----------

[Linked Image]

The second pair are close ups. 11-07 / 1-3-17

[Linked Image]

----------------------------

[Linked Image]

We had 7/10" rain yesterday ! Almost 2 months between the photos....it's still active.

PLUS
1 of the bucks I killed this yr. came from this 'area'. I don't have any game cams but it would be nice to see what/which/how many bucks used this scrape THIS year.
The size of this scrape doesn't make me think there is a large buck using it. ? ? ?

There was a scrape here in 2015-16 ALSO.

+ * + * This is the first time I am seriously considering getting/using A game cam. I see it as a 2 edge sword. It would be nice to know what is using the trail/scrape.....

It might make me wait for a buck that NEVER shows up!

Decisions, decisions.

Jerry

Does make and use scrapes, a LOT. Might be a reason you're waiting on a buck that never shows up, especially during daylight hours.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
" baduh, baduh, that's all folks". This wraps it up for me for 2016. Today is the last day of Gun Deer Season even tho it was Mzl.

Next weekend we have Sat-Sun Youth Hunt, but I don't have any yutes close enuff to take.

The Doe in the last post was the LAST deer I've seen this week. I've hunted some every day and decided to devote these last few days to seeing the second 'odd' buck I saw the other day. NO luck.

I've been thinking about the 2017 Deer Season. I have another project rifle "I THINK" is close to being huntable.

Project 1 is a 98 Mauser Custom 284 Win. Whatever 'dumbcluck' smith drilled/tapped the scope base holes did a YUCK up job of it. The rear base is 'noticeably' OFF left.

I don't know any smith close that I trust to fill & re drill & tap. I have found some "Windage Adjustable" scope rings and HOPE they will ALIGN close enuff. I've never used windage adjustable rings...so I don't know. MAYBE

Since the 284 is antiquated I'm loading a nostalgic powder, Surplus 4831 under 139 gr bullets. I've done a little testing and I'm NOT trying to find the fastest load possible. My goal in vel is +/- 3000 fps. I feel the 98 is capable of pressure = to modern rifles NOT the Win 88.

SOON and very soon I plan to mount the scope. Hopefully it'll work and I can get some graphing done.

Project 2 is my 6.5X55 (Swede) using 120 NBT at +/- 3000 fps. The load is ready I just have NOT hunted it yet. I really wanted to hunt the OLD 30-06, especially the Six 06.
I've very happy & satisfied with the rifle & load.

Happy New Year to all! ! !

Jerry

What are the details of your 3,000 fps 120 grain BT 6.5x55 load?

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
260 -

I got that load from Denton. It's in the Reloading Forum under Big Game Rifles, P 3 Campfire Pet loads, ScottfromDallas - Good 6.5X55 loads. THEN it's on P 1 by Denton. Pressure Tested

49.5 gr H 4350, 120 gr NBT - 3075 fps 24" bll.

I'm at 3000+ with 49.5 IMR 4350---22" bll. NO PROBLEM

I worked up to that load in MY rifle, Win 70.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
4ager -

"Does make and use scrapes, a LOT. Might be a reason you're waiting on a buck that never shows up, especially during daylight hours."

Never said that. RE read my post. MIGHT make me wait...

Yeah them old dominate Does even stand guard over their scrapes. smirk crazy

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.