Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Of the last 8 or 10 bulls I have shot at least half been hauled out by myself. Most people I talk with think I'm nuts (they could be right) but it really is not that big of a deal if you know what your doing and have the proper equipment to do the job with you. Kind of made me curious how many others go elk hunting solo?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've done a few, but I really prefer to have help.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Help is always nice, but if I can't find somebody to go -then I just do it myself. I could always drive to town and call for help, but by the time I do that, wait for assistance, I can usually have it out on my own.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You need a sturdy frame pack and the patience to make several trips. Or you can rent a horse...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do it every year... if you're going to be dumb you'd better be tough.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've done it and its hard work but is the difference from filling a tag or eating tag soap. Most my friends won't shoot an elk any further then a mile from the truck but they don't harvest many elk either. My dad's about the only person who will help with the pack out, but he taught me how to hunt, so the pain is kinda his fault. 😠

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have done it several times. Many of the areas I hunt are behind gated roads, so I usually get things packed down to the road and then cart it out. Its a chore but one I don't mind doing - leaving in the AM to find a nice spike so I'm hoping to be doing it again in the next couple of days:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Amen.......short memory helps also.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do. Had help this year but we both tagged out at the same time around four miles in so the selfish bastard wouldn't help me pack my elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have multiple times. Furthest was 7 miles from the truck. This year was only a mile. I would rather pack solo then cut one up solo. They are just a pita to butcher in the steep stuff by yourself a lot of times.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by tuff
I would rather pack solo then cut one up solo. They are just a pita to butcher in the steep stuff by yourself a lot of times.

After cleaning one on my own Monday I can share that sentiment.

I packed out solo Monday. Luckily I was only about a mile from my truck. I packed out 1 quarter on the first trip and the remaining 3 on my second trip, 1 on my back and 2 in the jet sled.

Last edited by ajmorell; 11/09/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yo Meatstick!

So I, me, dad, only "help with the pack out" uh? You musta forgot I killed one of them two elk that "we" packed out last week.

Ok, you packed out half of mine too, but only cuz' you're harder headed than I am....

BTW - you're the only one I know tough enough to hunt elk with me and then kill one before I can...

grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I'm by myself, I hunt a little closer to the truck. But, several elk and two moose have been "boned-out" for packing. It makes the job a lot easier! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few, but fortunately for me the ones that I have had to do alone were only a mile or two.
Thank god I've had help on the ones that were in the middle of nowhere.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So you feel better, I hunt moose solo at times. But my limit is one mile from a trail or where I can get a wheeler in.

The only time I"ve harvested solo I was lucky, I managed to get the wheeler right there, but if not, it was only about half mile or less to a trail.

Frankly just making a moose small by yourself and getting it loaded and 12 or so miles back home at a snails pace, took a number of hours, along about 7pm to 4am, and I slept well that morning then until 9am...

I've done elk on my own but never shot one... but it takes time and stupidity.

The longest day of my life though was half a bull caribou about 6 miles as the crow flies in AK over some interesting terrain... and dumb enough to watch my buddy shoot one almost back to camp, where we dumped the packs and then had to deal with that one... and still go another half mile... for some reason that load was almost unbearable at the end of the day. Likely due to the fever I had at the time.

Boned out would make it even better, but illegal where we hunt in AK.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by centershot

Kind of like child birth...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

All but a handful of elk i've shot, i've had to pack out solo.

Every time I shoot one I swear I'm done with them, then a month later I'm making plans to go again.

It aint that bad..in hindsight.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well---I did it again by myself this year, don't know how I do it but I figure if I kill em I got to pack em. I'll turn 70 in a couple of months and each year while cutting up my elk I say" next year I'm going to leave the elk alone and just hunt mule deer" but I can't seem to break the cycle, been doing it for so long.
The pain has just stopped and I'm looking at the regs for next years hunt already! I told my son I wish to die packing an elk quarter. He replied "that would be a horrible waste of meat" -- guess he's serious 'bout hunting!
God,Family, country and hunting!----- I think that's the correct order
Good Hunting
Lj

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: I have done so many times and helped others do so even more times than that.
Of recent we have befriended a very competent horse wrangler and he brings in horses and pack trains our Elk out.
He does this for a VERY reasonable off the books cash rate!
He even transports said game to a regional butcher for us so we have the option to stay in our remote camp and enjoy more Deer Hunting in that area or we just "woods loaf" and enjoy the wildness.
I have also helped pack out Moose, Bear and Mt. Goats - the hard work was/is part of the Hunt - but horses sure add to my enjoyment anymore.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've done a few. That's when I said 'this is stupid' and set myself up with a string of pack llamas. Life is good.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nope.Never had,never will.At most,I maybe have carried quarters 50-60 yards to get them to the mules.

I did pack a Mountain goat off of a 14,000 ft peak once.

About 50 years ago I decided to sacrifice other things in life so I could live where I could have a few head of livestock and have been doing that way ever since

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Until this year, every elk I have killed I did so by myself. I often have horses with me, but often do not.

My 6x6 bull last year took me 2 days to get out. I actually prefer it that way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I actually prefer it that way.

I always enjoy packing out an animal. It'll be a sad day when the realization hits that I'm no longer up to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have packed out some of my own and several more for my Granddad, Dad and Uncle.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost every one I shoot comes out on my back, by myself.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 11/09/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I was younger, most of the elk I brought out myself.. Since I turned 65 about four years ago, I think I brought out one.. The others I had help.. Now, I doubt I move another by myself, I am about done with this game.. Too many birds to shoot, and whitetail does move easier..

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have only had to pack out one buy myself! I usually have my brother or one of the grandson's with me! Lots of work but worth everydrop of sweat!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have hauled them out myself several times over the years - wore me plumb out, but it felt GREAT. T'was a lot easier before I got old.

P.S. The first bull (in 1965 up on the Mogollon Rim) was the easiest by far - beginner's luck and was able to back my 1954 Chev station wagon right up to it. Good old days.

Last edited by CCCC; 11/10/16. Reason: afterthought

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Of the last 8 or 10 bulls I have shot at least half been hauled out by myself. Most people I talk with think I'm nuts (they could be right) but it really is not that big of a deal if you know what your doing and have the proper equipment to do the job with you. Kind of made me curious how many others go elk hunting solo?

I'm 60 years old and packed out my cow by myself this year.

Of course, I intentionally shot the smallest of the three elk standing there.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by k22hornet
I've done a few, but I really prefer to have help.

Same here.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've packed a bull solo. It got my full attention. I've also helped carry pieces and parts of a half dozen more- much more civilized! smile

Weather is a huge and crucial variable as far as the panic-factor in getting the meat out. It's been WARM generally speaking these last several years here in Oregon during rifle season. That adds a whole level of urgency.

I guess grizzlies add that for some of you guys.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This year's pack out...

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've done it twice and hope that I don't have to again. Gettin1 to old for that chit!

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I salute and envy you guys. Truly. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a cow in those panniers. Screw backpacking. grin Seriously, though, we all reach an age where backpacking isn't possible. I figure these guys added at least 5 years to my hunting career.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taking notes Rock Chuck. Thinking those are for me soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 30338
If you do, get hold of me first. I went through a number of them before I got 4 that are really good. There are lots of them out there with foot problems and I can save you some pain.
2 of the 4 in that 1st pic have been retired because of bad front feet.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1

Every time I shoot one I swear I'm done with them, then a month later I'm making plans to go again.

I'm usually planning the next hunt on the way home.......

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe I'm crazy but I've only passed up one animal because of the pack out. I normally don't let having to pack an animal out stop me from shooting big game. I've packed quite a few elk and deer on my back and a few caribou. The moose my wife and I have have killed we've been able to get to with a four wheeler.

I did pass on one 60"+ bull moose many years ago while sheep hunting. We were 8 miles from the closest place to get a four wheeler to and it was 75-80 degrees. I was 20 yards from a bedded bull but knew in that heat and that distance the chance of getting the meat out without losing much of it was slim.

I was a bit surprised this year caribou hunting. We spotted a herd in a non motorized area about a mile or a little more off the road. There were a half dozen vehicles on the road watching them so I asked each one if they were going after them. All said no, they couldn't or weren't going to pack a caribou that far. Most were some to much younger than me. I'm 57. I took out after the caribou and ended up killing a nice dry cow about 3/4 of a mile off the road on relatively flat ground. I made it out in two heavy packs. There were close to a dozen people on the road watching me pack out my caribou and it was only as I was getting almost back to the truck with the second load that a dad and his two teen age sons headed into the same area after the herd.

I don't know if they got one but I was surprised out of all those vehicles no one except that one man and his boys were willing to put in a little work. As far as packing on one's back that area was pretty nice ground. I guess they were hoping the caribou would cross the road into the motorized area.

There's nothing easy about packing out a moose or an elk and honestly a caribou or deer ain't that much fun either. But there is a great sense of satisfaction when that last pack drops off your back and onto the tailgate.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I'm 60 years old and packed out my cow by myself this year.

Of course, I intentionally shot the smallest of the three elk standing there.............

Casey

This is where I screwed up. I ran into a heard of about a dozen bulls had my pick - shot the 6 point instead of one of the spikes - rookie mistake....lol

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
On a couple occasions a few years ago, packed out myself. At 65, I still hunt solo, but I have friends to help if I harvest one.
And the last couple years, I've hunted more forgiving terrain and closer to home. Its way more now, that I just enjoy being out there, and never had expectations of great wall hangers, just some meat in the freezer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I failed to mention and give "much" credit to my wife, who has packed elk quarters out. Most of these were short packs(most under a mile), but give her much credit for doing it. Just last year,she packed (only about 600 yrds.),a front quarter of a young 6x6 bull I lucked into. And, she did that with a "bum" knee that she's been fighting for two years now! We don't hunt was hard as we once did,hunt closer to the vehicle, and use the Polaris Ranger when we can, but we're still hunting!!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My Wife quit helping a couple of years ago after packing a bull quarter in thick brush kept yanking her off her feet. Now I do it myself. I hope to pack out a cow next week, might even go for a calf since they are so tender.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
I do. Had help this year but we both tagged out at the same time around four miles in so the selfish bastard wouldn't help me pack my elk.

Between drinking all of my beer and playing Tiddlywinks with those bear, I'm surprised you had time to pack an elk out.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That wasn't tiddly winks, it was grab-ass.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rosco1

Sounds just like me! I talked myself into another trip in a couple weeks! Every elk that I ever shot has come out in a pack. Ain't fun, but it sure feels good after you do it!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That wasn't tiddly winks, it was grab-ass.

Kind of hard for me to tell, with all the bugling going on.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is how I prefer to pack elk out, I even help my buddies with theirs!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've packed out a few smaller elk solo. Nothing to be worried about.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338

If you're looking for someone to help with the investment, let me know.

Seriously.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

This year's pack out...

[Linked Image]

Nice!

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

This year's pack out...

[Linked Image]

That chunk of blaze orange on the skull is a really, really, good idea.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That chunk of blaze orange on the skull is a really, really, good idea.......
Years ago, my BIL's father owned a small business. He and several of his employees were deer hunting. He was sitting and watching a patch of quakies when he saw a buck walking through. He could clearly see the head and antlers as it moved between the trees. He got ready and when it appeared again, he was just about to touch one off when he thought he saw a glimpse of orange. He held off and saved an employee's life. The guy had shot a deer and was packing it on his back. The head was hanging over his shoulder with his head behind it's neck. The glimpse of orange was his hat.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got mules and a wife who wrangles. The packing out is actually the funnest part. Cold beer and the dogs get 2 come with.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tuff
I have multiple times. Furthest was 7 miles from the truck. This year was only a mile. I would rather pack solo then cut one up solo. They are just a pita to butcher in the steep stuff by yourself a lot of times.

What he said.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have packed two out alone. One was 1.75 miles and 2200 ft higher then the truck in super steep terrain. The other was 80 yds. from the truck on flat ground. So if you go by averages it was not bad, first came out over 2 days, Last one in a little over 2 hours........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This years bull I packed by myself. I was able to cheat by killing it in a road system closed to motorized access. About 2 5/8 miles all up hill to get my cart up to the Elk, the hard part. Then two easy downhill rolls back to the truck. It took all day to do it myself, But I was able to do it. Just put the last packages in the freezer after processing it in the shop.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm looking forward to the day that I get to do that.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Gutless method is key. Look it up on YouTube.

I've done several solo pack-outs and it's not so bad if you have the right gear and know what you are doing. That being said, it also pays to be in shape. I have a weighted vest and climb stadium stairs as part of my training. Our neighbor made a comment about me "being the retard (poor word choice, I know) always walking on the road...you know we have cars for a reason?!?"

He's a Texan and hunts from a 4-Wheeler. Guess who kills stuff and who doesn't?

If you are going to do it, get your butt in shape a couple of months in advance. If you are successful, your future self will thank you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last two elk were packed out solo. This years was little over a mile from the road, at least it was mostly down hill. Still took over six hours from the time of the shot until I was finished.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago....
My partner and I have used a wheelbarrow numerous times to pack elk. It works fine as long as you don't have any uphill. It's better than a game cart on narrow, rocky trails where 2 wheels are too wide.

Some years ago, I shot a spike a couple miles back. I pushed my wheelbarrow up there and loaded up the meat. I'd only gone a few hundred yards when one of the wooden arms broke. I jury rigged a splint with a limb and started off again. I got another hundred yards when that broke. Anyway, I ended up backpacking it and the wheelbarrow is still there, tucked away in some 100 year old mining junk left from the past.

moral: a wheelbarrow works but DO NOT use a cheap, K-Mart version.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wheelbarrows are underrated.

I left a hunt to get some supplies in Durango some years ago, stopped to check out an area I was interested in along the way. Killed a buck there, then had the epiphany, "Oh oh, Now What?"

I remembered a little rental shop back down the road. The wheelbarrow made pretty short work of the haul-out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had help with some, but I've packed about 30 elk out by myself:

Some on a packframe. Had to spend the night with a hind quarter once in the Whitefish range in NW Montana. Just me, my rifle, the quarter of meat, and a book of matches.

A couple on a kids plastic toboggan, the toboggan didn't fare too well.

One bull 1/2 at a time in a wheelbarrow. I shot him about a mile up a Forest Service road, behind a locked gate. Luckily the road was dry and it was mostly downhill.

I've pulled several out, 1/2 at a time, on a thick sheet of plastic from Cabalas.

A couple more, 1/2 at a time, just over the snow.

I killed a spike bull one year fairly high on a mountain in the Madison Range south of Ennis, MT. The side of the mountain was snow covered so I tried to drag him down to the flats where I could easily get my horses. The slope was so steep that each time I started to drag him he would get moving too fast for me to keep in front of him, so I would step aside and he would slide 30-40 yards down the hill then pile up against a tree. After several times of doing that, I decided to get him sliding, then I just hopped on and rode him down until just before he would hit a tree, when I would jump off. I continued doing that all the way to the bottom of the mountain where my horses could pack him out in quarters.

One year I was able to pull a cow elk down off a mountain almost all the way to my car, but the last 200 yards was uphill, so I had to cut her in half for that. Then I had to split the halves to get her into the back of my Subaru.

For about 20 years I had a couple of horses, and they carried out my elk every year. I miss having horses now every elk season.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have packed out many of them At 70+ I can still get the job done. Last year I packed out a spike by myself, an easy hike 1.4 miles down a nice trail. Got help on two this year, the first bull being the largest but only 2+'miles out. The second was 4 miles out and on a good trail. Made 5 total trips between the two. A great year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Wheelbarrows are underrated.

We used to use 'em to pack in our camp back in VA, and then pack out deer. You can do two bucks at a time. You can put a heavy load of camp gear in a good wheelbarrow, and live like a king. Coleman stove and lantern, folding chairs, steaks, pork chops, taters & onions, beer, you name it.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Last years "by myself pack out". The middle daughter was with me the week before and we packed her's out on our backs. She is a work horse and a good hand to have along. We even helped a couple of 70+ year old guys pack a bull out the day before we pulled hers out.

She wasn't along this trip so it was up to me. About a mile down a gradual incline. Just needed a little come along help to crest the incline into the pickup.

Brad couldn't have said it better, "if you're going to be dumb, you better be tough", lol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can remember as a kid just starting, sitting in a saddle freezin my azz off and thinking "I aint ever doing this again". Been back out there every year since for almost 40 years now. Yes, being dumb and having a short memory does have it's advantages!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I ever get to slide one out in a sled whole, right into the truck, I'm taking pictures too.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ha, ya, the conditions were just right is all I can say. The pack frame was with me just in case I couldn't get it done. Hardest part was trying to run the come along and get her onto the lip of the endgate by myself but I got it done. That otter sled paid for itself right there. A Vietnam era casualty sled works good as well. Brought a spike out whole once on one of those, but I had help with that one.

I shot my cow elk this year in very steep country and as is the case 95% of the time, I was solo. Took me about 2 hours to quarter it out and hang it in a nearby tree. Country was so steep, that when I took the quarters off one side and had to roll it over, it kept going down hill. Did not stop for about 30 yards. Packed out my gear, backstraps and tenderloins the first trip by the time I got to my quad I was exhausted. Estimated I had to go straight up approximately 1,500 ft. Two more trips later, I could barely move. Ibuprofen kept me going.

Hope to do it all over again next year.

I prefer life in the fast lane, but I am married to a speed bump.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago I read a story by Jim Zumbo. He said he shot an elk that went down in a patch of really thick brush. It took him 3 hrs just to turn it over to gut it. My thought was that there couldn't have been a better time for gutless field dressing.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sheepdawg
Ibuprofen kept me going.

That about sums up my trip this year too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
CENTERSHOT -
I think you are good and nuts too along with most of these members.
So glad to hear from hardcore sportsmen and women.
Last bull I packed out was in six miles took my old legs over
3 days. I out lived my horses and then llamas so was on my own.
Two days after home bought a single mule.Now pack in and stash
supplys for scouting.Return each trip backpack hunting till meat
on the ground,go home for old griz mule. Lots of fun.
Works great for hunting alone. It used to really bother me that
a lot of folks take shortcuts but let them have their machines.
There was an old indian that returned an old Model A to Burro
Bill in Death Valley during the depression. At returning the
broke down auto for demand of his burrows back he left a note
"Ford No Good,tires all gone,bring back my mules". Thanks folks
for you finding value in some burden.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A couple years ago I read a story by Jim Zumbo. He said he shot an elk that went down in a patch of really thick brush. It took him 3 hrs just to turn it over to gut it. My thought was that there couldn't have been a better time for gutless field dressing.

I have had two go under logs while sliding down a steep snowy hill. The first one I did upside down under the log on my side. The second required a much larger younger man to get him where he could be cut up. Getting old isn't for the weak of heart.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sheepdawg
Ibuprofen kept me going.

That about sums up my trip this year too.

Don't discount this, my knees and toes tell me it works. From my experience, don't mess with tablets. Get the crystals at GNC. However, if you are running bone on bone, probably won't help much.

I take approximately 2grams a day, which is above Arthritis Foundation recommendation.
Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...l/vitamins-minerals/vitamin-c-amount.php

Last edited by battue; 11/20/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Funny, 2 grams is my dose when I'm hunting in the mountains, and yes it works. Along with Voltaren gel.

Never heard of the crystals though, may have to check those out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Meloxicam 7.5mg is my drug of choice if needed.

Jeff probably just takes a puff. grin

Addition: If I don't get enough sleep, then guaranteed I'm going to hurt the next day. When you age-up, sleep is your mechanic.

Last edited by battue; 11/20/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've packed out the deboned meat of three elk, in a backpack, by myself. Two were cows and they each took three trips. One was a bull and it took four trips including the cape and antlers. The longest pack was a cow and it was 5 miles. But I haven't done that in this century.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've packed more out by myself than I've had help with. The cow I shot this yr I was able to drive my tk to but I didn't have a come-along and I still had to quarter her out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.