Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
New AR shooter here with a trigger question. I have one with PSA's EPT trigger which feels good to me except that it is really heavy. Would Wolff's reduced springs be likely to help or is that a bad idea for function or safety?

The AR will be used for deer/coyote/pig hunting, not storming the walls.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I have that same trigger and installed a set of JP reduced power springs. It made a noticible difference. $12 very well spent in my opinion

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go with the JP spring kit. I've tried both and JP is the way to go.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The springs will help; it will never be a Geiselle.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

True that.
Will probably get you to about 5 lbs.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys, I just ordered the JP. I'm sure it's not as good as a Geiselle, RRA etc, but the trigger I have now isn't horrid, just heavy.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

True that.
Will probably get you to about 5 lbs.

All of them that I've put in (from Wolff) would only get to around 6-6.5 even using the PSA coated triggers & hammer..................as actually measured on an electronic scale.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hard for me to do springs when on sale a RRA varmint has been 60 dollar area. But it is 2 stage.

but anything is improvement on factory

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
New AR shooter here with a trigger question. I have one with PSA's EPT trigger which feels good to me except that it is really heavy. Would Wolff's reduced springs be likely to help or is that a bad idea for function or safety?

The AR will be used for deer/coyote/pig hunting, not storming the walls.

With the mil-spec trigger, you can do the JP Springs (yellow) and the "Set Screw Mod".

The set screw mod can be done with a 1/4"x 28 setscrew or the sexier Trigger Adjustment Screw.
Both require the grip screw bore to be drilled and tapped all the way through.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBob_s_Trigger_Adjuster_p/jb-triggeradjuster.htm

As with any trigger work, if you cut corners and do stupid things, you will win stupid prizes.
Proceed carefully and read/follow the instructions on the trigger adjuster.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Direct_Drive: when I got sick of the OEM trigger in my DPMS Panther I bought the Taylor Tactical hammer spring and trigger adjustment kit. The drilled and tapped grip screw comes in the kit and the installation is very simple. I spent the extra time to stone and polish the trigger/hammer engagement surfaces too. What a huge difference! Not equal to a high priced trigger but it's no bench rest rifle either.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ajHilgy
Direct_Drive: when I got sick of the OEM trigger in my DPMS Panther I bought the Taylor Tactical hammer spring and trigger adjustment kit. The drilled and tapped grip screw comes in the kit and the installation is very simple. I spent the extra time to stone and polish the trigger/hammer engagement surfaces too. What a huge difference! Not equal to a high priced trigger but it's no bench rest rifle either.

Yep, if the budget doesn't have room for a Geissele trigger,
the springs and adjustment screw will make a mil-spec trigger better.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Go to the DPMS web store enter the sale link. Geissele G2S for $109.

Its a very smooth first stage and a solid wall second stage with a clean break about 2 lbs each stage.

When I sell off the odds and ends I am collecting, my factory triggers (colt and a gen1 DPMS) will recoup some of the G2S's costs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a smoking deal for a G2S.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's an awesome price for that G2S. Recently I bought 4 Rock River National Match "VARMINT" 2 stage triggers direct from RRA during their sale, $98.00 delivered. Has anybody used these? After installing one, I took some Montana Extreme bore polish compound and put all over the working parts, sear etc., then hand worked the trigger about 20 times. Then cleaned with alcohol & lightly lubed. It's as good as the last 2 Geissele Super Enhanced triggers that I've bought. Probably done with Geissele.
Jim D

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No way a Varmint Is as good as a geiselle I'd be thinking, Bill wouldn't turn out junk.

but the varmint will satisfy most folks for most applications.

Damn they've gone up... i still have July 2015 invoice laying here, 62 each... I'm still waiting on that. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I don't know about that rost, I don't own a Geiselle trigger but several of the examples I've tried were not nearly as good as the RRA Varmint. I don't know what models those were, and I'm sure some of them are better than the Varmint, but definitely not all of them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You do have to compare apples to apples, but anything is possible.

I've not had an RRA that didn't have a bit of creep, but very workable and easily tuned out.

I'd suspect you are comparing a low line Geiselle product to an RRA "top line" effort...

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Probably so. To be fair, I don't think I've tried a 2-stage Geiselle, so it's not really apples to apples. I just remember them not being as good as my own triggers that I worked over.

On the other hand, my RRA Varmint triggers do not have any creep in the second stage; they are very crisp, and I'm really picky about triggers. Maybe I just got lucky there.

The only thing I don't like about the RRA Varmint is the longer reset, but that's a pretty minor complaint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
I don't think I've tried a 2-stage Geiselle,

With the exception of the 2 versions of the 3-Gun triggers, all the Geiselle triggers are 2 stage.

I have 3 different Geiselle models, G2S, SSA, & SSA-E; never pulled an RRA.

None of them have any real perceptible creep, to me, but there's a difference in how crisp they break & how they feel.

The G2S is not quite as clean as the SSA & the SSA is not quite a clean as the SSA-E which has a glass rod break & for me, is about dead solid perfect. But even on sale, it's a $168 dollar trigger & only belongs on a precision rifle, IMO.

The weights are 3.8 for the G2S, 3.8 for the SSA, & 3.5 for the SSA-E with an electronic gauge.

The best analogy I can give is to a 1911 trigger......as the top of the sear is slightly rounded from a sharp intersection of the primary angle & the breakaway angle, the break goes from very clean to "softer" though the weight is the same.

It's the same kind of feeling with an SSA-E vs the SSA & G2S.

JME, YMMV.

MM

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[color:#000099][/color][b][/b]We've been over this before. I like Geissele triggers but even with in the same model they can break different & have different 2nd stage break weights. I have 5 SSA-E's & 2 are great and the other 3 are ok. The 3 that are ok have between 2 & 2.5# 2nd stage pull weights. It all depends who's receiver they are installed in because the width between the trigger pin holes can vary up to .003 and that makes all the difference in the world how your trigger will break. That's the reason one piece contained drop in triggers are so consistent if only they would lighten the pull weights. My buddy has a CMC 2 stage 2#-2# and it's real nice.
JD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.