Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Not a drinker, but did like fighting cock when I had it years ago. Anyone tried that?

Channeling deflave:

Had one wild night with too much COCK about 7 years ago and don't need anymore of it.

-Sparky

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[/quote]
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cooper57m
[quote=SuburbanHunter]While on a recent business trip my associate and I were working late and our client called us and asked us to meet him at a country club (I had never been to a country club before) for a drink. He asked what we were drinking. I asked for Jack Daniel's on the rocks and my associate asked for <something> Reserve and Ginger Ale. The client laughed and said said "one of those is gay and the other is crap! I'll order you something decent".

He ordered us Hudson Baby Bourbon. It was really good. I am not an expert but I liked it a lot and drank a lot of it that night. I think it is about $50 a bottle but I can't find it in Colorado.

http://www.tuthilltown.com/tuthilltown-spirits/hudson-baby-bourbon/

I live the next town over from the Tuthilltown distillery and have bought a couple bottles of their Baby Bourbon and I always thought it was not a good value. It's not bad, but IMO you can find better at much better prices. You may not know this but is only aged like 6 months in very small casks and they use all kinds of things to "speed up" the aging process. It still tastes young to me. I think some people are enamored with it because it is expensive and made in limited quantity. In a blind taste test I don't think it would beat out many of the decent bourbons with an age statement.

For my taste the best scotch is the 18 year old Highland Park. I had the 30 year old Highland Park when my wife bought me a bottle when I retired, but that was too oaky and out of balance for my taste. Some of these very old whisky is for bragging rights. I did have a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B that was very good but at the $200 my wife paid, I wouldn't spend that on myself. It was very very good though.

Of the expensive bourbons that I've tried in addition to the VW Lot B, I've liked:

Jefferson's Reserve Small Batch
Noah's Mill's
Rowan's Creek
Four Roses Single Barrel
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

I have trouble paying big money for bourbon when the same money gets you a far better single malt. The Knob Creek 120 proof is probably the only bourbon in the pricier range I can think of that earns it.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is hard to match...
Aberlour A'bunadh is spectacular...
Lagavulin 16 is really good when you want to see how tough you are

Never had a 21 year old single malt that was not pretty impressive.

Hi Art. If you are saying that it's easier to find a good inexpensive bourbon than scotch, so just get the bourbons that give the best value, I would agree with that. I like bourbon enough that any of the ones I mentioned are, for me, worth the extra expense once in a while. In order to get a decent scotch or japanese single malt, you HAVE to spend the bucks. It's not easy for me to find a bottle of single malt (or even blended scotch) at a value price. Besides the HP, I like the Balvenie Double Wood and Caribbean cask expressions. For a cheap blended scotch sipper, I used to buy Teacher's Highland Cream but the quality started to slip and it's not popular around here with very few stores carrying it. I prefer the HP as it not so smokey as to mask the more delicate flavors that I enjoy. It's all in the balance. The real peat monsters are just too much of a one trick pony for me, but, that is why they make and sell so many different ones.

So I do tend to look for value when I buy bourbon and will snap up the Weller SR and Antique whenever I find them and I usually have a bottle or two of the Evan Williams SB around, but the days of good inexpensive scotch have been gone for awhile now. I know of no scotch that currently interests me that is under $50.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the replies. I've had many of the ones listed, and consensus seems to be that other than the Van Winkles that are hard to find and very expensive, the 20 to 50 dollar bourbons I've been drinking are the best way to go.

I'm going to have to try some of the scotches mentioned though.

I've had Laphroaig, Talisker 10 and Balvenie Doublewood, and liked all those.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lazyered
Thanks for all the replies. I've had many of the ones listed, and consensus seems to be that other than the Van Winkles that are hard to find and very expensive, the 20 to 50 dollar bourbons I've been drinking are the best way to go.

I'm going to have to try some of the scotches mentioned though.

I've had Laphroaig, Talisker 10 and Balvenie Doublewood, and liked all those.

From the Scotch side, I like Dalmore 16 and from the Bourbon side Four Roses Single barrel are reasonably priced and very enjoyable.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Macallan 12 good stuff. Not Bunnahabhain 18 but it will do considering the cost difference.

MACALLAN 12 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKEY .750

$56.99
+$24.28 shipping. No tax
LiquorLiquidators.com

Bunnahabhain 18
$118.99
+$13.00 shipping. No tax
WineAnthology.com

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glenfarclas 10 Year Old and Glenmorangie 10 Year Old are great for their price bracket.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Highland Park 18 yr
Jameson 12 yr

Who is John Galt?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
On the Scotch side Balvenie Doublewood 12yr and Highland Park 18yr. Laphroaig every now and then.

stranahans Colorado,George T Stagg and Blantons are some American whiskeys I like.

I've tried Red Breast and other Irish whiskey, while good I wasnt blown away by it like many are.

Those are about as much as i'm willing to spend. I've had Pappy, while really good it dont make much difference because you cant find the stuff.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bourbons:

- Rock Hill Farm
- Weller 107 Antique
- Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Scotch:

- Glenfiddich 15 Year
- Glenfarclas 17 Year

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Another vote for Laphroaig (10) here. I'm partial to the heavy peat scotch. I'll drink Talisker if the Laphroaig bottle is empty.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like many things, the value or worth can only be evaluated by the one doing the purchasing. If the individual feels that the enjoyment or satisfaction the item in question provides for him is commensurate with the cost, then that item is worth its price. A caveat that should be considered is that the person's perception of what qualifies as "worthy" does not give him the right to denigrate the less costly choice made by someone else.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glenfiddich 12 year when I'm drinking scotch and the fantastic 18 year on special occasions

eagle rare when im drinking borbon

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could drink nothing but those 3 for the rest of my life and be a happy man

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awhile back, somebody posted about the small whiskey barrels that you can fill with cheap whiskey.

The poster said to fill a fifth sized barrel with Jim Beam and come back in 8 weeks for a pleasant surprise.

I hope to try that, but for now I will stick with JD. That has worked for me for over forty years.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd never had Elijah Craig until I saw it reco'ed here .

Saw some at local liquor store and decided to try it.

Very smooth and tasty. We opened it last night and four of us polished it off, drinking it neat, though I did add an ice cube to my wife's second glass per her request

Sorry math man, I love the old gal

It's a moderately priced whiskey ime

I quite enjoyed it.

It won't be the last time it graces our cabinet

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, just not a fan. Last summer, I picked up a bottle of Blantons on the advice of some old guy on here, and just didn't really enjoy it, though I tried to the bitter end. Just not a whiskey guy I guess.

I also got a bottle of "better" gin, with the botanicals naturally infused by soaking the herbs and such in the gin rather than using extracts, and distilled in copper kettles. It was interesting, but not something I'd choose to drink straight either. Made a good gimlet and gin & tonic though. Must be something lacking in my DNA.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try Bookers, Bakers, and Basil Hayden. Three good, and very different, bourbons. Hard to find someone that doesn't like at least one of them.
You might find the need to spend more unnecessary.

Blantons or Pappy if you are buying. Grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cheap doesn't mean your getting a good bourbon. Like many things you have to find an acceptable balance between cost and taste.

One of my favorite bourbons that's reasonable in Bulleit, Makers 46, next and slightly more into the expensive area in Bib & Tucker. I like Old Grand dad when I get a chance to pick it up but with a state run liquor fiasco many good ones aren't around.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like Highland Park and Laphroaig. Lagavulin is a step up for me.

Macallan cask strength was a nice gift from my SIL. I don't think I can afford to replace it so it will be used very carefully.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Single Malt Scotches are a whole different thing. I've tried Laphroaig and thought it tasted like mouthwash. I also tried a couple other Islays and wasn't impressed.

My favorite is a Balvenie 21 PortWood though I don't buy it very often. It is amazing.

My go to is a Dalwhinnie 15, or The Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 8 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.