Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Another year, another successful elk hunt.

Work issues kept Daughter #1 and me from driving out to Meeker together. Instead she followed a couple hours later in her own vehicle. That worked out well as she left before season’s end to get back to work keeping us safe. She is a petite lady and neither she nor I are capable of long, rough pack outs. Instead we planned to mostly hunt the migration where packs would be short and sweet. We did hunt two areas where if we got an elk down we would be able to get an outfitter to pack it/them out.

Opening morning we started out on the migration route, which we checked almost every morning, but shortly changed to head up to the top of Iles Mountain, a trek that took us from about 8300 feet to over 8900 feet. We heard a few distant shots, including one we know was a muley buck being taken and one on Three Points mountain where an elk was taken. We saw some less than fresh elk sign but no elk. Here is a photo of my daughter taken on the east side of Iles Mountain.
[Linked Image]

The next day saw us on the south side of Black Mountain, north of Craig, in an area where we have seen many elk in years past. Once again we saw some less than fresh sign but nothing to get excited about and no elk. Daughter didn’t know I took this picture and posted it on her Facebook page with the comment
“God's Country. This pic brings me to tears; I didn't even know my dad took it. I love you so much <my_name_deleted>”.

[Linked Image]

Seeing her post brought tears to my eyes, too. On the way back to Meeker we did see a few elk – about 200 – just east of Highway 13 and south of the sawmill about 10-13 miles north of Craig. The elk were ready to cross the highway but I don’t know if they did that evening or if they headed back up to higher country due to the warm weather.\
[Linked Image]

The next evening we saw these elk by the White River, half-way between Buford and Meeker. Private land, of course.
[Linked Image]

The weather simply wasn’t cooperating. By now we knew a few elk were being taken up high and Jeanne of Bar-H said they were finding some in the Salt park area (a 3 hour horse ride and impossible for us on foot). We also knew there were elk holding up on private land south of the White River and Oak Ridge SWA. We decided to go high and headed to the edge of the White River wilderness. Here is Daughter at a hair over 11,000 feet:
[Linked Image]

Daughter was really enjoying the day but commented there wasn’’t any air up there:
[Linked Image]

[To be continued…]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/22/16. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was beautiful country but we found very little sign and nothing really fresh. The hike was worth it though, if only for the view. Needless to say, any elk down by Crater Lake, 300 yards straight down, were perfectly safe.
[Linked Image]

My long time hunting buddy showed up that afternoon and did a little hunting before we got back. We all hunted the migration route again the next morning but it quickly became apparent they elk weren’t anywhere near. Daughter headed home while my hunting buddy and I headed north into unit 211. We got up on top of the ridge south of the Yampa River, west of Hamilton, and spent several hours watching and glassing but seeing nothing.

The next day, and the last day of our hunt, we headed north to our old stomping grounds, Bears Ears Mountain north of Craig where we had hunted together many times since the late ’90’s. We found a good spot to sit and watch, which we did until dusk. At the end of shooting light we headed to Craig for dinner and then back to camp in Meeker.
[Linked Image]

Ok, we didn’t get any elk, but that has never been my primary measure of success. At best, getting an elk comes in fourth and if I gave it more thought, maybe not that high. Everyone enjoyed the hunt and the mountains, everyone returned safely and we didn’t have any mechanical issues, let alone those of the expensive or serious types we have experienced in the past. (Those include problems like a blown clutch, broken shock, etc. The most serious mechanical issue this year was a leaking valve stem on the left front tire of my truck which took just a few minutes at a tire shop to diagnose and remedy.)

Last year my hunting buddy informed me he couldn’t hunt any more due to his diabetes-related problems. It was a joy to hunt with him again this year if only for a couple of days. Spending several days alone hunting with my oldest daughter was also a joy and a privilege. To top it off, Trump won the election. All hunts should be so good.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cool story, and great pictures.

A few years back a couple buddies and myself parked and watched the elk file out into that field near Buford one evening where you took the picture. We drove past one morning and they were moving through those fields like a snake, it must have been a couple hundred in there.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Here is a photo of my daughter taken on the east side of Iles Mountain.
[Linked Image]

Never seen quakies like that on the east side of Iles Mountain before. They musta just grew them this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a pic from the real east side of Iles. Before all those pesky aspens took over the cedars. You can see hiway 13 way down in the bottom.....

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyote Hunter didn't even know where he was?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice photos and a good story... Glad you had a good trip.. Elk have eluded us so far this year... But still have a bit of time..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story. That's the thing I love about elk hunting - even if you don't get one, the scenery and experience are exceptional. I call it armed hiking.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Coyote Hunter didn't even know where he was?

he thought he did...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Here's a pic from the real east side of Iles. Before all those pesky aspens took over the cedars. You can see hiway 13 way down in the bottom.....

[Linked Image]

Hellava good looking horse, there, Don! Is that a cat you got across your saddle, there?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. I trapped 'cats on Iles for a few winters.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another year, another successful elk hunt.

Really great post. Thanks.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah. I trapped 'cats on Iles for a few winters.....

Apparently you are not aware there are TWO Iles Mountains, just a few miles apart?

One is due west of Hamilton in Unit 211, where my hunting buddy and I hunted later in the season. The other is about 11-12 miles south of Hamilton in unit 12, where my daughter and I hunted in White River National Forest opening day.

This picture was taken in at 1:44 in the afternoon as we were coming down from the top and hunting our way back to the truck.

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

This Google Earth image shows the north end of the Iles Mountain that is south of Hamilton. The bowl behind my daughter in the photo is clearly visible in the Google Earth Image.

As are about a gazillion aspen trees.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe there was no elk there because you post your hunting spots on the World Wide Web?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Apparently you are not aware there are TWO Iles Mountains, just a few miles apart?

Gotcha. I should have figured it was the one you could drive on.....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Gotcha. I should have figured it was the one you could drive on.....

Drive on? There aren't any roads on the Iles Mountain where we hunted opening day.

The one west of Hamilton where my hunting buddy and I hunted later in the season and where I think you hunted cats, yes. Quite a few.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a good time with your daughter. There are plenty of people in my life that I'd love to have that time with (again) even if no blood was shed. Don't let a little acid rain electrons sour things for you. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool story, thanks for sharing.

tickled to hear you got to take your daughter along. Someday, I hope to do the same. Hoping to take my son in 2018. Daughter the following year.

all of that pending good grades, excellent behavior, and mommas approval. first two of those are looking pretty good.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Sounds like a good time with your daughter. There are plenty of people in my life that I'd love to have that time with (again) even if no blood was shed. Don't let a little acid rain electrons sour things for you. smile

My father-in-law, who I knew since I was a kid, used to go to Canada every year or two for a fly-in fishing trip to a remote lake. One of my few regrets in life is that I never took the time to make one of those trips with him. The excuses, real enough at the time, were family responsibilities and finances. Now that the kids are out of the house and out of my wallet it is much too late as he passed away years ago.

Now my daughters and nephews find themselves in the same position I was in. Every hunt with them, whether birds or elk or something in-between, is a gift to be cherished regardless of whether we take game or not. God willing I'll be healthy long enough to take my grandkids and grand-nephews/nieces along as well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Coyote Hunter, This is what it's all about, sharing time in the beautiful outdoors with those that you love. Cherish all those moments, time passes all too fast!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.