Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I want VERY lightweight shooting "sticks" - can be tripod, bipod or monopod (like the Primos Gen 2 Trigger Stick) - for shooting antelope from a sitting or occasionally standing position.

I tried a Harris S25 Bipod but it just ruined the weight and balance of my Tikka T3 Lite 25-06.

I won't be shooting prone because Nevada sagebrush obscures my view of everything when I'm laying down.

Has to be light and easy to carry, and ideally would be easy to deploy even when you already have a rifle in your hands, ready for the shot.

Any ideas?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by czech1022
I want VERY lightweight shooting "sticks" - can be tripod, bipod or monopod (like the Primos Gen 2 Trigger Stick) - for shooting antelope from a sitting or occasionally standing position.

I tried a Harris S25 Bipod but it just ruined the weight and balance of my Tikka T3 Lite 25-06.

I won't be shooting prone because Nevada sagebrush obscures my view of everything when I'm laying down.

Has to be light and easy to carry, and ideally would be easy to deploy even when you already have a rifle in your hands, ready for the shot.

Any ideas?

Three extra tall carbon-fiber XC ski poles. I've gotten some pretty high end pole sets inexpensively at garage sales and GoodWill stores. Usually less than 5 bucks a set. Tightly bundle together with several wraps of bungee cord. Slide the bungee cord to whatever height needed for the shooting position chosen. Spread the poles to form a tripod for shooting. Keep bundled together with a second bungee cord wrap for a sturdy walking stick. I remove the handles so the poles can be neatly packed together when bundled.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Cool idea, and certainly inexpensive! Seems like it would be a bit clumsy to set up, though, and the rifle would have to be on my shoulder while getting it rigged up - likely all the time in sight of the pronghorn.

How do you handle that?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cool idea, and certainly inexpensive! Seems like it would be a bit clumsy to set up, though, and the rifle would have to be on my shoulder while getting it rigged up - likely all the time in sight of the pronghorn.

How do you handle that?

Like most things, it becomes less clumsy with practice.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Light Weight

I've been using Stoney Point shooting sticks for several yrs.
they weigh 17 O Z. 3 sections, telescoping, Bi pod w/forked top rest.

They scope down for sitting, NOT prone. I'm 5'10" and they're plenty tall for standing. Stoney Point has new & newER models so I suggest you check out their W site.

Being Light Wt. they're NOT strong enuff for walking support.

Mine cost $50.00 several yrs ago. WORTH every PENNY.

I never leave home w/o them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use sticks pretty heavily for coyote hunting. I tried several of the DIY versions, as well as a few of the commercial varaints. I found that the Vanguard Pro fit my needs better than anything else I found.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I really like my black diamond flick lock hikers. I loop the wrist straps around the other hand grip and create a basket of sorts to rest the rifle in. Jam the tips in the ground and it's a very stable platform from a sitting position.

I've also used Primo's Trigger sticks extensively in Africa - heavy but amazingly good.

Hunt Africa while you can
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
trigger sticks. I like the tripod ones

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
czech,

This company might have some options for you.
Don't know if it quite meets your weight criteria but they'll last a lifetime.

http://www.ultrec.com/product_cf_qcb.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the tall Primos Trigger Sticks. They are lightweight and easily adjustable and quickly adjustable.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Another vote for the Primos trigger sticks - good product but maybe a little heavier than you want.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After several years of successfully using a Bog Pod tripod, I got the urge to try out a Primos trigger stick tall tripod. I find it easier, quicker, and very stout.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The trigger stick is a nice piece of equipment though overpriced IMHO.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought a trigger stick when I forgot to pack my bog pods for my Montana trip this year.I really like the trigger sticks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another vote for the Trigger Stick. Added a Hog Saddle, which aids a steadier hold.

Whatever sticks are chosen, go practice shooting off of them. Even a little practice will improve the odds of an accurate shot.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own the Primos tripod Gen 2 Trigger Stick, and IMO it is the best shooting accessory made today. I have sold off several other shooting aids since getting the Primos, including a Bog Pod and Stoney Point stuff.

I have found the trigger stick to be especially helpful when hunting with my scoped handgun, from sitting or kneeling positions. I highly recommend it.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Full-length fiberglass or aluminum archery arrows, with a rubber band wrapped around them at the pivot point, are the lightest and fastest sitting-setup that you'll find.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Stoney Point/Primos steady stix for years, they are compact, light, fast to deploy, and very steady from the seated position. A pack wedged under the right armpit adds stability for longer shots.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodhits
A pack wedged under the right armpit adds stability for longer shots.
[Linked Image]

That's a good tip - thank you.

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I really like the tall Primos Trigger Sticks. They are lightweight and easily adjustable and quickly adjustable.

I bought a tall Primos TS/bipod this year and will be using it in the coming weeks.
Can still use it sitting but I like the flexibility to use when standing too. It's not often I get to shoot from a sitting position (when on the ground) due to cover and flat land.

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Another vote for the Trigger Stick. Added a Hog Saddle, which aids a steadier hold.
[Linked Image]

I don't mean nor intend to be critical so...

do you carry/pack those when you're 'still' hunting ?
OR
do you use them from stand sites ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
3 pics of Stoney Point Shooting Sticks - compact--light

[Linked Image]

17.6 OZ
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are the 'cat's meow' to me.

Some people like Ford..Chevy..Dodge..EVEN Kia

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I carry the short primos mono trigger stick for hunting, because it allows me to sit and adjust the height rapidly. I can also set my binos on the yoke and glass. I recently bought the short tri-pod trigger stick and mounted a manfrotto 391RC2 on it for my spotting scope. Works great.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by jeffbird
[Linked Image]

I don't mean nor intend to be critical so...

do you carry/pack those when you're 'still' hunting ?
OR
do you use them from stand sites ?

Jerry

Can use it for either. That photo was from an elk hunt in Colorado last year, where we were hiking each day. Found that the Hog Saddle really improved steadiness and was no big deal to carry.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had been looking at the Trigger Stick. What are you guys using? Mono, bipod or tripod?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use the bipod since I mostly shoot from a stool. If I was standing I'd want the tripod, though. One thing about the Trigger Stick: sometimes a leg will extend and then not retract. The folks at Primos told me that it happens mostly in cold weather, but I had it happen here in Florida. I sent the set back and they replaced it, but evidently this isn't an uncommon occurrence. Check out some of the reviews on the online sites. And this is with the Gen 2 set. If being able to quickly adjust the height isn't an issue, or just doing it the old fashioned way by simply adjusting the spread of the legs, you might want to look at the heavy duty Bog Pod. I expect a heavy duty tripod will be my next set if/when the Trigger Stick goes south.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used my own Bog Pod several times and a borrowed Trigger Stick twice to maker shots. Bog Pod is a bit slower to get into action but seems sturdier once set up. I've also used the Bog Pod once in the sitting position and once kneeling.

The Trigger Stick (at least the one I used) didn't appear to be adaptable for any position other than standing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Snipe-pod is lighter than ANY of the suggestions in primos or bog gear or Stoney POS's.......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The Snipe-pod is lighter than ANY of the suggestions in primos or bog gear or Stoney POS's.......

I haven't ever heard of that one. I'll have to look it up.

I prefer my BogPod tripod. But it is bulky and heavy to carry. But of course, I usually don't walk very far at the Ranch hunting Whitetails here at home.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Have you ever used the Stoney Points ?

Mine have worked w/o flaw for several years.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I want VERY lightweight shooting "sticks" - can be tripod, bipod or monopod...

Has to be light and easy to carry,...

Here are the Ops requirements, not mine.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/24/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have both the bog pod and tall trigger stick tripods. Both shine in their own ways. For rapid deployment it is hard to beat a trigger stick, but it won't go low enough to shoot sitting on the ground.

The bog pod is slower to deploy but it can be used from standing all the way down to sitting on your butt and is a very stable platform. I used my bog pod about a week ago to cleanly take a bull elk in Utah at 450 yds.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Light Weight

they weigh 17 O Z. 3 sections, telescoping, Bi pod w/forked top rest.

They scope down for sitting, NOT prone. I'm 5'10" and they're plenty tall for standing. Stoney Point has new & newER models so I suggest you check out their W site.

Being Light Wt. they're NOT strong enuff for walking support.

Mine cost $50.00 several yrs ago. WORTH every PENNY.

I never leave home w/o them.

Jerry

This sorta.

I used Stoney point shooting stix for years but the 3-sectioned cross sticks meant for shooting while seated. The problem was the bunginess of the cords wore out quickly.

Several years ago I got a pair of Primos Pole Cate Steady Stix Magnum that are beefed up versions of the old Stoney Point product and they're EXCELLENT especially for $35!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/635392/primos-pole-cat-steady-stix-magnum-shooting-stick

I am like jwall... use em ALL the time nearly EVERYWHERE. They come with a belt holster that allows quick access and the design of the sticks themselves allow fast expansion right when needed. Combined with a Montana shooting sling I can shoot quite accurately out to 350 yards.

I've often flirted with the more sturdy and steady Bog Pod versions, but they're also
More complicated and time consuming to adjust. If hunting from a blind I am sure a three-legged Bog Pod would be excellent, but for speed & weight the steady stix are vastly superior.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
efw

My S Ps don't have 'bungy cords'. Mine are LW aluminum tubes that telescope and lock in by twisting. When they are totally loose there is no resistance in going up/down ( in/out). By twisting a tube it tightens up. The lower 2 sections (on each stick) scope in/out.

To adjust simply unscrew partially and you can find the height you want and then twist the lower section to lock down.

Caution - Don't over tighten !!

It's more difficult to describe than it is actually adjust. I've heard the sticks that are bungied (sp) and they make too much noise for me.

I don't know how to accurately describe their makeup and adjustability w/o writing a book.

Suffice it to say, IF I need another set--I want them just like these.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Light Weight

they weigh 17 O Z.

Jerry

Jerry, 17 oz isn't 'VERY' lightweight. Especially compared to 5 oz for the snipepod.........

Even homemade carbonfiber decoy stake sticks will weigh HALF of what the Stoney POS's weigh......

http://kramerdesignscorp.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My POS Primos stixs weigh 8 oz. I preferred the POS Stoney Points but left them stuck in the snow in the excitement of killing a great bull.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for Stoney Points!

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Light Weight

they weigh 17 O Z.

Jerry

Jerry, 17 oz isn't 'VERY' lightweight. Especially compared to 5 oz for the snipepod.........

Even homemade carbonfiber decoy stake sticks will weigh HALF of what the Stoney POS's weigh......

http://kramerdesignscorp.com/

Those look pretty slick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
"Stoney Point Shooting Sticks - compact--light"

+1

Rubber band the ends, wrap the legs in stretch tape so they don't clank and hooked it to the front strap of my pack as a rifle rest when walking.

I can adjust it from sitting to standing.

Pole Cat its light and lasted 10 years so far.

Last edited by Remy; 11/25/16. Reason: stick model
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Stoney Point

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have the Stoney Points and the newer Primos version. Prefer the originals. 8 ounces and have worked well for me and my sons. Quick to deploy, and easy to adjust for kneeling/sitting. You can get lower by just not connecting all the sections. Not ideal, but doable.

Have seen the original Snipepod on Huntsman22's rifles, and it is slick, but have not used it myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vern Howey if you can find em...

http://www.mypqb.com/PPP/specialtyitems.htm

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Huntsman,

Do you use that as a rifle bipod as well?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As in a bench bipod? No, but I have, and I have used it as a prone bipod. I don't like it in those uses as the sitting length model is segmented and I don't like the way the bungie system lets the leg segments flail around while in use without being velcro'ed up...... If a guy has time to tie alla that chit together first, I reckon I could like it more for those uses.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another vote for the snipe pod.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks for the above Don. I guess I should have been more clear. I was curious if you used it for hunting in the prone and sitting positions. In other words, I was wondering about it''s overall use as a possible replacement rifle bipod.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
to take a quick prone shot, they're fine without gathering up the leg sections, but I don't like to do a buncha shooting that way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought the tripod trigger sticks. Very fast deployment, infinite adjustment, lite weight, and very stable.

We hunt as a club and do large scale deer drives. You're either a driver or a watcher. This trigger stick will be outstanding for watchers. Very portable stability. Pricey? Yeah but I'm happy with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BCSteve
I had been looking at the Trigger Stick. What are you guys using? Mono, bipod or tripod?

I like bipods because that is what I used in Africa. This past October, I had no problems of the Trigger stick bipod at 330 yards uphill on elk. j

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lightweight and compact=Snipepod. On and off in a flash. not cheap though. You can't stand to shoot. It's more of a sit or kneel thing with the SP

Been using a set for years for everything from ground squirrels to elk. Like an sticks or pods everything has its drawbacks, but I won't leave home without them.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
3 pics of Stoney Point Shooting Sticks - compact--light

[Linked Image]

This is what I have, but I think mine are shorter. I've had them 10 years or more. They are probably 18" or less with legs retracted. Fully extended they work for kneeling or sitting in a chair. I carry them everywhere I go almost and use them a lot sitting on the edges of big fields. I have killed multiple deer beyond 350 yards using them. If I can get my back against a tree, it's like shooting on a bench....

Last edited by country_20boy; 01/05/17.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.