Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I've always like PA. My mom and her peeps are from PA as well as some of my best friends, but some of their laws defy logic.

Can't hunt with a semi-auto rifle?

Can't hunt on Sunday?

A caplock rifle is not primitive enough for muzzleloader season, it has to be a flintlock?

You can barely get black powder these days without getting put on a Homoland inSecurity list, let alone the 4F required for priming flashpans.

If you weren't living on another planet....you could get BP rather easy!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One insane regulation is they have special early two day season when the old farts over 65-I'm one, if age counts for anything-can shoot a Deer. However, it can only be a Doe. Reason for the season is they can hunt Deer in a warmer time, and commission records show most have quit by 65. They are trying to give them incentive to stay in the game. Thanks.

However, its the same time of year when any from 12 to whenever can launch arrows at any Deer. I guess they think those few old Bucks will be too hard on the Buck numbers left come the regular rifle season.

I know of 4 Bucks so far this year that have taken an arrow and are still out there. Dead/alive?

Last edited by battue; 11/22/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can follow us around and pick up the empty so we don't get fined for littering, it does happen.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by battue
One insane regulation is they have special early two day season when the old farts over 65-I'm one, if age counts for anything-can shoot a Deer. However, it can only be a Doe. Reason for the season is they can hunt Deer in a warmer time, and commission records show most have quit by 65. They are trying to give them incentive to stay in the game. Thanks.

However, its the same time of year when any from 12 to whenever can launch arrows at any Deer. I guess they think those few old Bucks will be too hard on the Buck numbers left come the regular rifle season.

I know of 4 Bucks so far this year that have taken an arrow and are still out there. Dead/alive?
I think the best incentive would be to have more deer. Hunted by Erie last year, and it seemed the deer numbers were down pretty good. I know that was the idea, and the antler restrictions are loved by all, but if you want hunters to be happy, let them shoot something.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The SouthWest Region where I hunt has Deer back in almost old-time numbers. I passed on 50+ Does last year. This year there are more than enough. Then again, the hunters practically quit because they were not seeing any and the numbers came up.

Other regions, not sure of, but if not pass on the Doe tags for a few years. Hunters have the trump card, but most fail to use it. Can't have more by pounding the Does. That is how it got that way. The GC passed out tags like penny candy and we bought it.

Gotto go the Hens are clucking. May hear a cackle also.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the antler restrictions have been a boon.

and it's part if the reason there are more deer. as far as nor shooting doe? shoot them

the main reason people aren't seeing the deer they think they should be is the very way the hunting styles have changed. mostly gone are the big groups of people getting together to drive deer and move them

with ever increasing amounts of land being posted and hunters choosing to sit in treestand and deer being deer they don't have to move as much

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by crossotter
You can follow us around and pick up the empty so we don't get fined for littering, it does happen.

Pick-up your own damn empties if you are that worried about it. When was the last time you actually saw a GW back in the woods?

Was checked last year out in the field Dove hunting. Had empties around me from myself and others. GW never said a thing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12

and it's part if the reason there are more deer. as far as nor shooting doe? shoot them

the main reason people aren't seeing the deer they think they should be is the very way the hunting styles have changed. mostly gone are the big groups of people getting together to drive deer and move them

with ever increasing amounts of land being posted and hunters choosing to sit in treestand and deer being deer they don't have to move as much

Yes, the big groups are gone and with them total numbers. Lots on Monday, few on Tuesday, almost nothing till Saturday. Then Doe opens the following week, they fill a tag on the first one that comes by and quit.

I have open country all around me within an hours drive if I want to hunt it. I could add it up, but don't want to. Could probably hit 50,000 acres plus. After Monday, it is pretty much all mine.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Not sure where you are in Pa, or how old you are, but the deer numbers in NW Pa are down. Not sure about other areas. This is just an observation from being out of Pa for 40 years, and coming back to the same area. Not a lot of hunter success . Private land is ok, but public is pretty meager. Heard 60 shots the first hour last year. I was on 1700 acres, and you had to shoot a buck, an 8 pt. No way there were that many 8 pointers on that parcel. Didn't see any deer being dragged. Lotta missing, I guess. As far as semi autos, why not? Sunday hunting, why not? Never have seen the reason for banning either of them. There will be a whole bunch of squirrel hunters very happy to carry that trick 10-22 legally, in the field.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you hunt the game lands plan on seeing a warden , prick

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not everyone posting here knows what they're talking about, but I suppose that's par for the 'fire.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just home from hunting Pheasants on GL 95 in Butler. It was also the last day of Bear season and the hunters were out.
Didn't see a single GW that I knew of. Have also hunted there probably 8-10 days this season and have seen and talked with them. They have yet to check me, once for sure I know they saw us shoot. They have also driven past the truck when we were done and had Birds laying out. Waved and moved on. Didn't check licenses, didn't ask for empties. I just otta report them. Obviously, they are not doing their job of being pricks. They could have cleaned up, because none of us had our empties. I'm feeling guilty, maybe I should report myself. Love it.

As far as the above comment on you had to shoot an 8 point. Unless you were on private property that had an 8 point or better rule, there is no open ground in Pa that requires and 8 point minimum.

3 up with a brow tine or 3 up without a brow tine. Depending on WMU

Last edited by battue; 11/23/16.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Not everyone posting here knows what they're talking about, but I suppose that's par for the 'fire.

Steve.

Is it true you can't hunt on Sunday in PA?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, it isn't true. You can hunt Crows on Sunday. MOF you can only hunt them on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited by battue; 11/23/16.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well then I'd say you live in a schit hole.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd say you are full of schit.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
At least I can take my stomach full of schit out hunting on Sunday.

Dave

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, you're one up on that one. Wish I could say the same.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
No sunday hunting for most game species only foxes, coyotes and crows. The concern over semi autos are mainly due to the populated areas. In SE PA, homes surround most suitable hunting areas. And we do have nearly 900,000 hunters so the public hunting areas can get packed, especially close to the access areas.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Your public areas may get packed. Mine don't.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7887mm08, 44mc, Amos63, 3dtestify, 35, 8MMX57JS, 7 invisible), 974 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,207
Posts18,524,265
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.