Print Thread
Hop To
B
bt8897 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a feather weight that I would consider a hunting grade rig (85%) but its all origianl. The stock has lost some of the finish in places down to the bare wood. There are about 3-4 small places, largest about the size of a quarter. Should I try to add some finish to these areas? I wouldnt worry about it too much but one of the spots is right at the butt plate and I am worried it might absorb water. Will it effect the value any by adding finish?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go to your local woodworker store and get a product made by Behlen called Qualarenu. Follow the directions on the bottle, it will dissolve the original finish and allow you to spread it around the areas where the original finish is gone. Woodworkers call this a solvent refinish, another product you may want to consider is Timberluxe finish. Go to Timberluxe's website and view the demonstration of this product being used to cover bare spots on a Winchester M/12 stock. I have used both of these products to successfully repair the finish on Winchester stocks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There was a guy from WI years ago who sold something called a Red/Brown oil finish. It involved stripping the stock, sanding where needed and a process of multiple coats to fill in the pores and then finish to your desired sheen. It was a good wintertime project. I lost track of the seller and product.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
There was a guy from WI years ago who sold something called a Red/Brown oil finish. It involved stripping the stock, sanding where needed and a process of multiple coats to fill in the pores and then finish to your desired sheen. It was a good wintertime project. I lost track of the seller and product.

Are you thinking of John Kay's Winchester Restorations stock refinishing kit? He also had a good rust blue formula. You can still buy the stock finish on eBay. Some guy bought the rights from John. It looks like the original Winchester finish only it's better.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Should this be a "sticky"? Mel

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by melchung
Should this be a "sticky"? Mel

Why?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by model70man
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Are you thinking of John Kay's Winchester Restorations stock refinishing kit? He also had a good rust blue formula. You can still buy the stock finish on eBay. Some guy bought the rights from John. It looks like the original Winchester finish only it's better.

Yes that sounds familiar. Now that I think of it, the new seller is located in Arizona.
I'll do some searching to see if something shows up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well "searching" isn't all that difficult sometimes. Here it is:

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1782.htm

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/13/16.

B
bt8897 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
So will this effect the value negatively? Or do I even need to worry about this on a hunting grade gun?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd just wipe the stock down with either John Kay's oil or the pre-64 Winchester formula Old West Snake Oil and be done with it....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bt8897
So will this effect the value negatively? Or do I even need to worry about this on a hunting grade gun?

Yes any alteration of the original finish will devalue the rifle. But if you bought it as a "shooter grade" version, its not a big deal. That red/brown oil is a long process that is fun to work on over winter. If you want a quick fix, the poster above had an idea. I have used True Oil after stripping and sanding. You can put on as little as three coats - hand rubbed or up to 7. Hung in the furnace room, you can do a coat a day.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I wouldn't touch it

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are truly planning to hunt with it, and use it hard as a real rifle, then yes you should fix up the stock finish somehow.

Do you want a collector only, or do you want a hunting rifle?

Otherwise, get a different stock altogether and hunt it with that.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What Pocono said. Old West snake oil will cover & protect the wood. Won't hurt the value on a 85% gun, might help it.

B
bt8897 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the input guys

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Old West Snake Oil. I read about it on their site but it really doesn't say if it "dries" or "hardens" or remains sort of "waxy"?
Does anyone know what its like when it "dries". Does it resemble Sheath or Ballistol?
Thanks

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
John Kay did sell the rights to a guy in Arizona. After several years, that guy sold the rights to a guy in Texas who now sells it himself and to other retailers. I'm sure Homestead buys it him.

I've only seen Old West Snake oil used as a protective oil and not a stock finish. Unless they have another product that I haven't seen.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.