Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by deflave
1911's rarely make sense.

The mini versions make even less sense.

Wants aside of course.

Dave
Agreed. For concealed carry, technology has passed them by. It's mainly nostalgia that keeps them going in this role.

About two years back, you sang the opposite tune, and you still have exactly the same level of actual experience (essentially zero).

TRH carries everyday and has since IIRC, the early eighties. That's hardly zero experience, unless you're talking gunfights. If you are then there are few here who should be commenting.

Chriss fantasizes about homesteading because he has a chicken coop in the chain linked yard around the crappy little house his parents bought him; he hauls ass from black guys in pickups; gets freaked out when he realizes that bugs are in his yard at night; pontificates about tactical shillelaghs and nunchucks; and has/had a vacuum sealed pistol in the shower.

About two years ago, he was ALL about 1911s for carry, and now he acts as if anything on-striker fired belongs in a museum; and NONE of his actual, practical experience, nor his irrationality in life, has changed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
1911's rarely make sense.

The mini versions make even less sense.

Wants aside of course.

Dave
Agreed. For concealed carry, technology has passed them by. It's mainly nostalgia that keeps them going in this role.

About two years back, you sang the opposite tune, and you still have exactly the same level of actual experience (essentially zero).

TRH carries everyday and has since IIRC, the early eighties. That's hardly zero experience, unless you're talking gunfights. If you are then there are few here who should be commenting.

Chriss fantasizes about homesteading because he has a chicken coop in the chain linked yard around the crappy little house his parents bought him; he hauls ass from black guys in pickups; gets freaked out when he realizes that bugs are in his yard at night; pontificates about tactical shillelaghs and nunchucks; and has/had a vacuum sealed pistol in the shower.

About two years ago, he was ALL about 1911s for carry, and now he acts as if anything on-striker fired belongs in a museum; and NONE of his actual, practical experience, nor his irrationality in life, has changed.
The point I made is that he does have a wealth of practical experience in concealed carry, going way back and that your statement to the contrary is then, inaccurate. Am I right or wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A wealth of concealed carry knowledge would be TLEE or EvilTwin or Mackey, or any number of other folks; due to their vefiable (key word there) history and their consistency. Chriss' opinions on CCW are, in my mind, about like his opinions on homesteading or teaching (two other areas that he is a fake and at best WAY overstates his actual experience, if not makes it up).

His mania about one style for many years, then an absolute sea-change to a mania in the opposite direction in just months, without ANY precipitous event intervening is something that, to me, undercuts whatever credibility on the issue he may have had.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe the fluoride finally got to him?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A wealth of concealed carry knowledge would be TLEE or EvilTwin or Mackey, or any number of other folks; due to their vefiable (key word there) history and their consistency. Chriss' opinions on CCW are, in my mind, about like his opinions on homesteading or teaching (two other areas that he is a fake and at best WAY overstates his actual experience, if not makes it up).

His mania about one style for many years, then an absolute sea-change to a mania in the opposite direction in just months, without ANY precipitous event intervening is something that, to me, undercuts whatever credibility on the issue he may have had.
The post I made was not about any other poster or any other area of expertise, it was specifically about your statement that TRH doesn't have CC knowledge, which is not factual. We could debate the term "wealth" but in context it meant years of experience, which he has...correct?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe the fluoride finally got to him?
In fact, if you look back, your statement was specifically about TRH not having CC experience. This is not factual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He says he does. He says he is homesteading, when he is actually living in small house on a small, suburban in north central FL instead. He has said that he's an experienced outdoorsman when in fact he is amazed and scared to insects in his backyard at night. Mom and Dad's house, and has said he was a public school teacher (when he wasn't as he had no FL license and no valid NY license), too. Chriss' "experience" needs to come with more than a little salt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He says he does. He says he is homesteading, when he is actually living in small house on a small, suburban in north central FL instead. He has said that he's an experienced outdoorsman when in fact he is amazed and scared to insects in his backyard at night. Mom and Dad's house, and has said he was a public school teacher (when he wasn't as he had no FL license and no valid NY license), too. Chriss' "experience" needs to come with more than a little salt.
None of that has anything to do with his experience in concealed carry which is what we were talking about. When you say he doesn't have any or much, that is an inaccurate statement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None of that has anything to do with his experience in concealed carry which is what we were talking about. When you say he doesn't have any or much, that is an inaccurate statement.

Actually, it has everything to do with his claim of experience; his claims elsewhere have been and are more than suspect. Ergo, his claims of experience here are as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope. You're broadening the claim out to include other areas. TRH has demonstrated experience in the area of CC time and again over the YEARS here. He's one of the first posters here on the site. Especially given the fact that this is a Handguns forum and can be directly related to concealed carry thereof but has nothing to do with the other two topics, his experience is significant and statements to the contrary are inaccurate. I am not debating other posters' experience, homesteading or schoolteaching. I am saying your statement in regards to his lack of experience in CC is inaccurate.

As to "proof", very few here are posting all their personal info and they would be stupid if they did. Most of his CC stuff posted over YEARS here will true right up with other posters' knowledge.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are those the years when he as an acolyte of the 1911, or these past few months when only striker-fired were worth ever considering or carrying?

If his credibility that he has posted for years on other issues is suspect, so too is his credibility on this. As for verification; have you ever met the guy? Has anyone here? He's refused invitations with and from several that live very close to him. Contrast that with TLEE or EvilTwin or many, many others whose words are and should be trusted because what they say has been verified. Chriss' claims on more than a few topics are more than a little suspect, there is no verification of or for any of his claims, and that's the point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are many here who have not "met up" with other posters, so if we're going on verified posters, as in, they've met up with other guys on this site, it narrows the experience field considerably. This is only about TRH's knowledge of CC, not about 1911 vs. striker fired or anything else. By normal standards of the site, his knowledge of CC is considerable, which is what you are disputing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are many here who have not "met up" with other posters, so if we're going on verified posters, as in, they've met up with other guys on this site, it narrows the experience field considerably. This is only about TRH's knowledge of CC, not about 1911 vs. striker fired or anything else. By normal standards of the site, his knowledge of CC is considerable, which is what you are disputing.

Yep, I am, because his claimed knowledge on other matters is highly suspect. You may choose to believe him on his supposed expertise on this subject while overlooking his claimed and highly suspect expertise elsewhere; I don't. I tend to believe that if he is bullschitting and more than stretching the truth on other subjects, he's quite likely doing the same on this one; especially given the dramatic and very recent 180 on what he believes is "best" with no precipitous incident the cause of that sea change.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I will chime in I guess. I would LOVE to have a 938 but it is just not in the budget in the foreseeable future.
I have carried the 238, Kel-Tec P3AT, Colt Government Model .380 and dehorned S&W M60 (Remember that one Sean?).

All have moved down the road with the exception of the Colt .380 and I now carry a S&W 431 (dehorned) .32 H&R Mag.
[Linked Image]

Years ago I went through quite a few: Colt Commander .38 super, Colt Cobra, Colt Pocket model M. 32ACP, Glock 42 & 19 and full size 1911. I am most comfortable with a 1911 style like the Sig or a J frame revolver.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep; I recall that 60. Nice piece but heavy. That .32 is just sweet, and the Colt is just about perfect. If someone finally came out with a copy of the Colt 1903/1908 with an alloy frame, adult size safety, and nothing else changed, it would be a very nice piece even today.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks, EE, for cluing me in to the developments in this thread.

It's actually been quite a few years since I was carrying the 1911 regularly. It's been a year and a half since my recent rediscovery, as it were, of the Glock series of pistols for concealed carry (I had a short stint with them in the 1990s). Prior to my recent switch to the Glock 17, for several years I was carrying a Model 13 Smith & Wesson revolver. Before that, the Colt Detective Special for several years. I'm still a huge fan of a good double action revolver of mid-size frame. My only reason for preferring the Glock 17 or 19 is the significantly higher capacity, and that they have an excellent track record in their class. They also carry, conceal, and shoot very well, IMO.

PS I have nothing against the vaunted 1911, and single actions of its type. I merely say that technology has advanced past it in automatic pistols for concealed carry, i.e., there are better choices. Not sure what all the hostility is about. Some people are very sensitive on this matter.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, EE, for cluing me in to the developments in this thread.

It's actually been quite a few years since I was carrying the 1911 regularly. It's been a year and a half since my recent rediscovery, as it were, of the Glock series of pistols for concealed carry (I had a short stint with them in the 1990s). Prior to my recent switch to the Glock 17, for several years I was carrying a Model 13 Smith & Wesson revolver. Before that, the Colt Detective Special for several years. I'm still a huge fan of a good double action revolver of mid-size frame. My only reason for preferring the Glock 17 or 19 is the significantly higher capacity, and that they have an excellent track record in their class. They also carry, conceal, and shoot very well, IMO.

PS I have nothing against the vaunted 1911, and single actions of its type. I merely say that technology has advanced past it in automatic pistols for concealed carry, i.e., there are better choices. Not sure what all the hostility is about. Some people are very sensitive on this matter.

There's no hostility nor is there any sensitivity on what people choose to carry. Many, many good to great options out there. As to the "experience" and opinions that count, well, there might be a few points on that subject though I'm not surprised you run from that issue. It's really the only play you had.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well the Colt 1903 has passed down but you are right and an alloy frame 1908 .380 with bigger safety would be just about the perfect auto-loader for discrete carry especially with a clip like mine.
Gramps was a smart feller.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Well the Colt 1903 has passed down but you are right and an alloy frame 1908 .380 with bigger safety would be just about the perfect auto-loader for discrete carry especially with a clip like mine.
Gramps was a smart feller.

Done right, I'd buy one of those FAST and carry it. Assuming my lovely wife did not lay claim to it (which she would, and T knows this for fact).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Roger that, and Sean would smile all the way to the LGS to get himself a replacement one. smile smile smile

Old cat turd!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (02bfishn, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.