Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
If you were in the market for a new press, rifle only and no case forming, which would you choose, single stage or turret? Why or why not?

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I really like the Turret Press!

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just yesterday goy my new Forster co-ax press. Had to decide between it and the Redding turret press. I think the Redding is faster but I think you can make more accurate ammo with the co-ax. Been using a Rockchucker for years before that a Jr. hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been loading ammo for my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle on a Redding T7 for several years, using Redding Competition dies. This isn't normal for benchrest shooting, where precise hand-tools are the usual deal--but I'm not a benchrest competitor, instead mostly using the rifle for testing various loading methods and components, along with a little varmint shooting.

Loaded ammo averages less than .0005-inch bullet runout, and with the rifle's best loads averages five shots into less than .2 inch. Might be able to beat that with another press, but I doubt it. And because of what I do, the T7 really comes in handy when loading ammo over a period of a week for article range-testing, which often involves 2-3 cartridges at the same time. I like being able to leave the press set up for more than one round, which saves a lot of time, and still maintain the level of precision desired.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use a single for rifle loading, and a turret press for pistol rounds.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If restricted to a one press, another vote for Forster Co-Ax. A single stage press with the speed of die change of a turret.

Exception: May need to reverse or even change out regular shell holder jaws if loading for cases that rims that won't fit.

Also, be advised that the lock rings of some die sets will not fit well in the press. Forster sells the correct size lock rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by carbon12
If restricted to a one press, another vote for Forster Co-Ax. A single stage press with the speed of die change of a turret.

Exception: May need to reverse or even change out regular shell holder jaws if loading for cases that rims that won't fit.

Also, be advised that the lock rings of some die sets will not fit well in the press. Forster sells the correct size lock rings.

My opinion as well, for the most part. Along with my Co-Ax, I have a Redding Ultramag for really long cases(like a 450 #2) that are a PITA to load in the Co-Ax.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've been loading ammo for my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle on a Redding T7 for several years, using Redding Competition dies. This isn't normal for benchrest shooting, where precise hand-tools are the usual deal--but I'm not a benchrest competitor, instead mostly using the rifle for testing various loading methods and components, along with a little varmint shooting.

Loaded ammo averages less than .0005-inch bullet runout, and with the rifle's best loads averages five shots into less than .2 inch. Might be able to beat that with another press, but I doubt it. And because of what I do, the T7 really comes in handy when loading ammo over a period of a week for article range-testing, which often involves 2-3 cartridges at the same time. I like being able to leave the press set up for more than one round, which saves a lot of time, and still maintain the level of precision desired.

MD - Do you use any extra turret heads with the T7 ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an UltraMag and a T-7, I'd hate to be without either, but I don't see any downside to the T-7 for your application.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two rockchuck presses and a single stage Lee and a hand held Lee and multiple old old Lyman hand squeezers. I've had a RCBS junior a long time ago and a CH press many years ago.

I had shared an ownership with a top of the line multi station press. I just sold my interest in it this month. Owner for 50 years. I may have used it once. It was a "Star" loader.

I am more concerned with checking my reloads during the middle of the operation, that is after the powder is in the case than I am with speed.

Nothing like being at the line and having a misfire or better yet squeezing the trigger and sending out the loudest click in the world as the trophy of a life time scampers away. Let alone, facing something on Kodiak island (never been there dang it) and the click happens. Same thing - Africa dangerous game.

For those of you who like convenience and or speed, good for you. It's not for me.

I enjoy decompressing at the loading bench and I have faith that my reloads are good.

Last edited by Bugger; 11/26/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
338Rules,

No, I don't use extra turret heads for the T7. Mostly I'm either experimenting with 2-3 rounds (and never know which they're going to be) or loading a LOT of one round. Then I'll set it up as a semi-progressive, including a powder measure. It probably would be a good idea to use extra turret heads for that, but space is already at a premium in my loading room!

So when cranking out, say, .204's for prairie dog shooting, I set it up specifically to do that, which takes about 20 minutes, then make enough ammo for at least a couple of years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
T7's ROCK.

That said, Turret presses (T7) are single stage presses.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for all the responses. I had in mind about 40 rounds per month when I asked the question. Would volume make any difference in your answers?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope, I still think the T7 is about the best single stage press going.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing that turned me off the Redding was buying all the turrent heads I would need at 50 bucks a pop. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why do you have to buy turret heads?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
The thing that turned me off the Redding was buying all the turrent heads I would need at 50 bucks a pop. Hasbeen

How many cartridges are you actively loading for ?

How many Turret heads would you really need ?

So, what is your alternative ?

Very Curious, because I'm looking at adding a T7 to my current bench setup of a RCBS Rockchucker w/ LnL inserts

Does anyone know if T7 turrets take Hornady's Lock'n Load inserts ? Would that be useful ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
38 special, 357, 45 acp, 45 lc, 40 s&w , 270wby, 300wm, 22-250, 30-06, 243, 7mag, 270win and last but not least 308.
It seems like I'm always changing dies. On top of that I need to get more organized. I'm going to start writing on the die box , which rifle, bullet, are the dies set to partial or fl resize etc. hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My favorite press is the Redding Big Boss II. I have a Rockchucker, but prefer the Big Boss system of spent primers dropping thru the ram into a plastic collection tube.

The RCBS primer tray doesn't work as well, primers bouncing out, falling on the floor. Occasionally one will pop out with the Big Boss system, but it's rare.

I don't have/want a turret press, other than my Dillon 550B.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've used a Pacific "O" frame press since 1974, have been thinking about replacing it......T 7 is on the (very) short list.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Redding T 7. Well worth the price.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys tried out the Forster today belling 38 special. Just throw em close and the auto jaws grabs em. I'm impressed so far. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
T-7 for the win.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got my T7 set up for 308 and 30-06. One each of Lee collet die, Redding shoulder die, and Lee seater die.

That still leaves one hole open for whatever.

I've got single-stage Hornady 007 press (for oddball stuff like 45-70, an revolver rounds), and a Lee Loadmaster as well (set up for 9mm), but the T7 is by far my favorite rifle press.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been loading for decades and I have several single stage presses and several progressives, and they are all good tools.

I can load 150/hr on the singles and 500/hr on the progressives.

But since it only takes me about 10 seconds to change out any die on any of them once the die is setup and locked, I don't have a use for a turret on my bench right now.

It's convenient having a progressive set up and dedicated to a high volume caliber, and if I needed to crank out rounds faster than that all I would need is more primer tubes.

But my obsessive need to visually check every powder charge in every case before seating the bullet is a self imposed limitation.

Any of the top maker single stage presses are capable of producing match grade ammo and case forming.

Good tools are good tools, and Redding certainly makes some of the best.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
T7 and 550B. Doesn't get any better.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Co-Axe

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I load on the Lee Classic Turret. Turrets are about $10 each, and hold 4 dies. Speed is about twice as fast as the single stage press. I have not yet discovered anything that the single stage press does better, so I gave that to a friend.

I do find reloading theraputic, but not so much that I deliberately opt out of inexpensive improvements to reloading speed.

Last I checked, the Lee Classic Turret was about $110-$115.

Lee's turret press was originally built for pistol rounds. When they created the Classic, which is both a pistol and rifle machine, they did not have a powder measure large enough to handle rifle charges. They have since tied up this loose end.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Hornady with the quick change LnL bushings. Changing from one die to another is 6-10 seconds and the dies stay adjusted. I'm not sure what a turret buys you if you can change dies that fast. I believe they sell a kit to setup any press with the bushings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by papat

Same here,, 550 with quick change 45 Colt and 500 S&W.
T7 with .308 and .260 permanently set-up and others as needed!

I tend to use more than enough gun
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used to use the T7 and now have a Forster Co-Ax. Both are excellent presses. I like the Co-Ax the best.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press. I use it without indexing, so it's basically a single stage with removable turret heads.

It works for me.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like this comes down to a Ford and Chevy discussion. Hasben

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by waterrat

550B for me
And a single stage RCBS for my 50 BMG cal.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
I use the Hornady with the quick change LnL bushings. Changing from one die to another is 6-10 seconds and the dies stay adjusted. I'm not sure what a turret buys you if you can change dies that fast. I believe they sell a kit to setup any press with the bushings.

I'm using the LnL bushings with 3-4 rifle calibers on a RockChuck SS
Still I've heard nothing but good things about the T-7, and for that matter All of Redding's products.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have an old Rock Chucker. I have a Redding T-7 also. I like the RC better.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by waterrat

You're a better man than I. I don't shoot my 500 S&W enough to need to load it on a progressive.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Changing from one die to another is 6-10 seconds and the dies stay adjusted. I'm not sure what a turret buys you if you can change dies that fast.

It's not just a matter of how fast you can change dies. It's a matter of how much you have to handle the brass.

With a single stage press, it's pick up the cases one at a time and form and prime them. Then you have to handle each one again to charge and seat the bullet.

With a turret, you pick up a case, pull the lever once to form, and push it once to prime. Then the turret indexes forward to the charging station, and you charge, etc. The brass never leaves the press until the cartridge is finished.

It's a lot faster.

Be not weary in well doing.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and even if you set up a single-stage turret press, such as a T7, to work as a semi-progressive, it's easy to index the turret with one hand while working the handle with the other. It's not as a fast as true progressive, but my ammo ends up just as precisely made as it does from a single-stage press, which I haven't found with any progressive tried so far. Production is a somewhat slower than with a progressive, around 300-350 rounds an hour, though that's at least 100 rounds more than I've ever been able to crank out on a single-hole single-stage. I mostly use my T7 set up as a semi-progessive to load prairie dog ammo, and prefer getting the accuracy desired to making less-precise ammo faster.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
Changing from one die to another is 6-10 seconds and the dies stay adjusted. I'm not sure what a turret buys you if you can change dies that fast.

It's not just a matter of how fast you can change dies. It's a matter of how much you have to handle the brass.

With a single stage press, it's pick up the cases one at a time and form and prime them. Then you have to handle each one again to charge and seat the bullet.

With a turret, you pick up a case, pull the lever once to form, and push it once to prime. Then the turret indexes forward to the charging station, and you charge, etc. The brass never leaves the press until the cartridge is finished.

It's a lot faster.

You can do the same thing with the co-ax, the only difference is you swap out the dies vs. rotating the turret.

I had a lyman turret press, got a co-ax and then sold the turret. I load quite a few different rounds and for me a turrets time savings requires having all the dies set in a turret vs. screwing them in and out. With the co-ax whether your swapping from sizing the seating or between calibers it's a matter of seconds.

So my vote is the co-ax, and I've paired it with a 550b for handgun rounds.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, and even if you set up a single-stage turret press, such as a T7, to work as a semi-progressive, it's easy to index the turret with one hand while working the handle with the other.

Do you use the slide bar primer feed system when doing so? If so, has it worked well for you?

Thanks,
Carl

Empirical results rule!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It works well, but you have to shorten the primer tubes to clear the powder measure as the turret's turned. I believe mine now hold 25 primers, but it takes less time to refill them so everything still goes quickly.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I bought a Lyman Spar-T when I was 17 years old and I suppose I really don't need another press, BUT, I bought a used Lyman Spartan because it was such a good deal ($12), and then I got a used Lyman Tru-Line Jr in a $10 box of odds and ends I bought at an estate auction. Then I bought an old Pacific C- type press because it was just like the one pictured in "Sixguns by Keith". I have enough loading presses now, I think, but they all work good enough for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It works well, but you have to shorten the primer tubes to clear the powder measure as the turret's turned. I believe mine now hold 25 primers, but it takes less time to refill them so everything still goes quickly.

I use a Forster priming tool so I cut that damn lug off my T-7, it was an embuggerance that annoyed me immensely.

That and I use my Harrell on a dedicated stand.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got 3 turrets and 2 single stage IIRC including a T7 and a CoAx. Started with a 310 tool and added an original Rock Chucker pretty quickly. The Rock Chucker gave fine service for years but was swapped off. I'd say I use a Harrell's 4 station and the T7 most. The Harrell's aluminum turret made me a little nervous about thread wear but I now know it will outlast me and turret heads are affordable if not cheap. I had no doubts the T7 will outlast me and the next user and go on working as long as reloading is still done in the mountain west.

So I say go with a T7 or whatever appeals.

That said I take pride and pleasure in the CoAx. Nothing else gives me the same smile.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had RCBS Junior and Rockchucker and Forster Co-ax presses and liked them for my needs at the time. Currently I am using Ponsness Warren presses, the turret for handgun calibers and the four hole press for rifle calibers. I like both especially the rifle press as I leave it set-up for the two rifle calibers that I load for. All I have to do is sit down and start loading everything is all ready, fortunately both calibers use the same shellholder so even that doesn't need to be changed. If you are looking for high quality loading equipment you should check out P-W's offerings. I have been a user since P-W debuted these machines at the St. Louis SHOT Show circa 1980.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think I am still current on the Fred Flintstone Reloading Methods....me and my RockChucker...

an upgrade for me was buying a used second one I found for like $49....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
JSTUART,

Apparently there's some misunderstanding of my post. For MOST of my reloading I use a separate priming tool, and four different powder measures on separate stands--exactly which measure depending on the size of the cartridge is being loaded.

I only use the primer-feed feature on the T7 when it's set up a semi-progressive, to speed up production of varmint rounds. And it does, considerably.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Clark,

At the Redding plant there's an old T7 that was "retired" by Sierra bullets after one million rounds. It still worked perfectly, but Sierra thought the Redding folks might like to have it.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
I think I am still current on the Fred Flintstone Reloading Methods....me and my RockChucker...

an upgrade for me was buying a used second one I found for like $49....

I know, I know........and here I think I'm hot stuff 'cause I have four single stage presses.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A side benefit of the Co-Ax(to me, anyway) is the primer seater at the top of the press. Works great.

Jeff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JSTUART,

Apparently there's some misunderstanding of my post. For MOST of my reloading I use a separate priming tool, and four different powder measures on separate stands--exactly which measure depending on the size of the cartridge is being loaded.

I only use the primer-feed feature on the T7 when it's set up a semi-progressive, to speed up production of varmint rounds. And it does, considerably.

hello Mule Deer, there is no argument...I was merely pointing out how I load on my bench, mainly because I am too mired in habit to change anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've often wondered how a turret press really sped things up comparing to just running the processes in batches, I've also used a second press for crimping taper crimped pistols since I can't get my rcbs seat crimp die to crimp and seat in one step without crimping to early and shaving bullets.

The main speed increase that would come close to a progressive would be the auto-indexing setup with a powder dump. I didn't realize you could attach a powder dump to the turret presses.

Is this practical or just skip it and get a real progressive?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you really want to speed things up, get a progressive. You're performing sizing, primer seating, powder dispensing, bullet seating and crimping in one crank of the press. It's close to an order of magnitude increase in speed.

The thing to consider when taking the progressive plunge is how many rounds you load at a time, and how often you switch between the rounds you load. It takes longer to get a progressive set up. It also takes longer to switch between calibers especially if you're going between small and large primers.

If you're looking to crank out 100's or 1000's of same type of ammo at a go, then a progressive is for you. If you're doing lots of load workup and loading batches of 20-50 of one round and 20-50 of another, stick with single stage.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Partagas,

You just touched on one reason I use my T7 as a semi-progessive: There are 7 holes for various dies. I use up to 5 dies to get exactly the results desired in both sizing and seating. One of the reasons is separating the seating and crimping operations into two different steps, which normally results in better accuracy even if done on a single-stage press. (Can explain that later, if you want.) That's more holes than most turret presses or progressives have, and there's still room for the powder measure.

Obviously there's no auto-indexing. Instead I manually turn the turret with one hand, and run the handle with the other. The only times I take my hand off the handle is during repriming and dumping the powder. As noted earlier, this results in 300-350 rounds per hour. That may not seem like much compared to advertised rates for progressives, but I've used several popular progressives and the actual rate is normally closer to what I can get with the T7.

As also noted earlier, I've never been able to produce rifle ammo as consistently accurate on those popular progressives as with the T7, which matters to me more than somewhat higher production. I'm not saying progressives don't work well. They do, it all depends on what kind of ammo you want to produce.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another vote for the Redding T-7. A well made press, and produces ammo as good as my Rock-chucker. I wouldn't use a progressive for my hunting rounds, but they are good if your a high volume pistol,or MSR shooter.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press..
And a old RCBS Jr.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been working with a Lee Classic Cast SS for a few years now. Been wanting a T7 a while too.

Brownell's has a promotion going right now (ends tomorrow I think) for $30 off a $275 purchase. $270 for the Redding T7 press, $8 for another shell holder, promotional code and shipping brought me to $255 to get it on the way. Just bought my Christmas present.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Redding T-7, from a dedicated RockChucker user.

MM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press. I use it without indexing, so it's basically a single stage with removable turret heads.

It works for me.

P

I have the same. I've been tempted to pick up a Co-ax for all the praise it gets but the Lee turret keeps getting it done.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It seems most presses can load very concentric ammo including the cheapies. The main reason for a progressive is if loading multiple caliber and larger quantities say a 100 plus at a shot.

I have had good results using two our three single stage presses at a time and it is pretty fast a sort of bubba progressive. But if just starting out a single progressive would be great. I am still very tempted to get a Harrel's Magnum but the increased accuracy potential would be lost on hunting rifles but the convenience and consistency would be great. The loading time is not significant but the die set up really is.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/13/16.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press but I took out the advancing bar. I prep my brass in lots, so that eliminates most of the advantages of a progressive system. Still, I like the flexibility of turning the turret instead of replacing dies. I reload for several cartridges so it's convenient to simply swap out the turret.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

That still leaves one hole open for whatever.

That's what she said.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For 40 rounds a month, the turret seems like an extravagance, except that it would allow you to stay set up for several cartridges.

Just don't get 'em mixed up!😜

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All metal has play in it (you can bend it), so a turret has that plus more play given all the moving parts.

If your willing to ignore this then it doesn't matter what you pick.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have both, I like the Rock Chucker better cause it's old like me. Redding is just as good ,faster for pistols.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For 40 rounds a month, the turret seems like an extravagance, except that it would allow you to stay set up for several cartridges.

Just don't get 'em mixed up!😜

Over fifty years that is somewhere around 24000 rounds...very doable.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wish I knew how many I've loaded?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Spotshooter,

Wish I knew where that play comes in with my T7. It consistently loads 6mm PPC ammo to an average of .0005 bullet runout or less, and no, the decimal point is not in the wrong place. That's with neck-turned brass in Redding Competition dies. Have been using it at least a decade, and the last batch of PPC's did not hurt the average.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I remember when I bought a 300WSM off Mule Deer, along with dies. They were an early run of 300WSM dies and he had to shave a little off the bottom of the die.

A bit latter he sent me an email and mentioned it, as it had slipped his mind, and told me that I'd likely have to make some adjustments to it to get sheit sized right.

I said 'Nope, it was perfect the way it came' he then asked what press I had and I told him a T7, same has him. So that's 2 presses that were exact.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
[quote=Pharmseller]I have a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press but I took out the advancing bar. I prep my brass in lots, so that eliminates most of the advantages of a progressive system. Still, I like the flexibility of turning the turret instead of replacing dies. I reload for several cartridges so it's convenient to simply swap out the turret.

Exactly what I do

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
All metal has play in it (you can bend it), so a turret has that plus more play given all the moving parts.

If your willing to ignore this then it doesn't matter what you pick.

I know my Lyman turret press had some slop in it, but the ammo I loaded on it seemed reasonably accurate. I'd expect Redding to do a better job on their turret press.

The thing is, the majority of the precision is in the dies, or not. So long as each stroke of the press puts the case the same depth in whatever die you are using, to a large degree the press has done it's job.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.