Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If enough objective people come forward with a reasonably representative number of similar complaints about Kimbers accuracy problems, at what point does it become valid?

Purely anecdotal, but reading about Kimbers doesn't inspire any confidence in them for me.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Kimber website
Kimber rifles are designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition.

"are designed to be capable of"

"highly skilled and qualified shooter"

No wiggle room there. grin

Yep. If you like the roll of the dice, buy a Kimber!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Understand your thought.

For myself, I come to the point that unless you have an absolutely horrible Kimber-admittedly, what's horrible to one, is not to another-then it makes little difference.

From the bench my Nula's will outshoot the Kimbers almost every day . Usually sub inch vs inch plus some. Sit down, kneel, shoot offhand and the targets say they are equals. Perhaps a better shooter could bring out the difference. I can't.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There's a reason competition rifles are as heavy as the rules allow. A lighter rifle absolutely reveals inconsistencies in technique greater than a heavy rifle at the bench. However, I don't think the difference are relevant for most hunting situations. Certainly not for quick off hand shots. Shooter variables are much greater than rifle in field positions. The benefits of a lightweight rifle far outweigh any drawbacks when in the steep terrain at high elevation. I'd rather carry my 84M to a tree stand 100 yds from the truck than my 10 lb heavy barreled rifle!

Last edited by prm; 11/30/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my mind lighter rifles reveal bench inconsistencies more than heavy rifles. I wouldn't lump everyone into the 'cant shoot category' but do think light rifles require a very consistent bench technique. I'm no savant but can shoot a good group on occasion from my Kimbers. <G>

I think the other issue is the cumjlative effect of recoil from light rifles. After shooting for a bit, I find myself trying to control the recoil in my Montana 30-06. I grab the pistol grip tighter, try to snug it into my shoulder more, etc. My best groups usually come early in the session with the 30-06.

At the end of the day all my Kimbers shoot best with 'normal' bench rest techniques. I proved this to myself a few weeks back. I don't think it's light rifle specific but do think less mass in your hands makes it more sensitive to inconsistencies. At the end of the day, when I start shooting 2" groups with known loads, it's me. It seems to happen more often than I'd like with my Kimbers. Get off the bench and I find the same accuracy as my other rifles.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you like your rilfe, you can shoot your rifle. Oh wait, new prez coming. Let's make rifles great again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well......sure you gotta hold the damned things steady as possible and be consistent to shoot good groups. I have no idea what is so hard about understanding that.

I sure don't know what is so hard about doing it either.

What i don't fall for is this notion that some Kimbers don't shoot because they are too light; that may be true for some folks but I think a lot of it is that the rifles are inaccurate.

I just don't understand what's so hard about shooting a Kimber.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Violent recoiling little bitches. Maybe they make flinchy shooters more flinchy. Dunno it's like the Tikka / Glock / 270 / Pepsi / Coke / Ford / Chevy thing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Trystan
Will kimber honor there gaurantee if I bought one of there rifles. Ive been reading a lot about 3" 100 yd groups and folks having to try to fix the problems without any company support. If thats true can that really be considered a gaurantee? Im pretty old school and honesty is very important to me when dealing with a company. Thanks

Trystan

There is no Kimber 1" accuracy guarantee. It is an accuracy standard - not at all the same thing!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a new unused Kimber Classic Select.I noticed the barrel touched the left side of the barrel channel and the box magazine was tight.I called up CS and they emailed me a UPS label to ship it to them.They had it about 2 months( Middle of hunting season).The rifle came back a couple days ago.They put a new stock on it with slightly better figure than the original one.It is properly centered in the stock.The magazine box still seems tight to me.They also reset the trigger to 5 pounds.I decided to re do the trigger and look at the bedding.The screws were in farmer tight with red locktite applied.I guess they did not want me to adjust the trigger.The bedding looks good.They mentioned it was test fired 5 times.No mention of any accuracy guarantee or group size.I thank them for doing what they did,but probably will not keep the rifle.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
I have a new unused Kimber Classic Select.I noticed the barrel touched the left side of the barrel channel and the box magazine was tight.I called up CS and they emailed me a UPS label to ship it to them.They had it about 2 months( Middle of hunting season).The rifle came back a couple days ago.They put a new stock on it with slightly better figure than the original one.It is properly centered in the stock.The magazine box still seems tight to me.They also reset the trigger to 5 pounds.I decided to re do the trigger and look at the bedding.The screws were in farmer tight with red locktite applied.I guess they did not want me to adjust the trigger.The bedding looks good.They mentioned it was test fired 5 times.No mention of any accuracy guarantee or group size.I thank them for doing what they did,but probably will not keep the rifle.Huntz

What's the reason for not keeping it? Just curious.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I already have 3- 30/06`s.I acquired this from a trade for a nice superposed I had.If it was a 270 I would keep it.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Also keep in mind that you can get away with a lot of sloppy shooting technique with a 9 pound rifle package that will ruin your accuracy with a ~6 pound rifle package.

David

I'm really not sure this is true at all although it gets repeated here all the time. A guy can either shoot or he can't.

Ive had quite a few Kimbers;those that delivered good accuracy I did nothing special, and those that shot like crap no matter what shooting technique I tried, did not help at all. They were simply poorly assembled rifles that needed work.

I've never seen anyone who can shoot be unable to get good accuracy from a light rifle. You can't get sloppy with either one and get good accuracy.

People always looking for excuses Bob. We've heard all this chit before...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard somewhere that the Montana stock is lighter than the Accent stock?
Put a Montana handle on the factory skeletonise Accent and you end up with
a SA rifle approaching 4.5 lb.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
never buy a factory rifle without being ready to work on it to get 1 inch or better groups, regardless of their guarantee

He's right.

Trystan, buy with confidence. After holding a Kimber once, I knew I had to have one.

I came home and, like you, read some negative reviews- but to be sure, postive ones too. I took the chance bought a Kimber Classic select in .243 and let me tell you, it's a laser. I just point it at deer and they die smile.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke i went ahead and bought a Kimber Montana in .308. It shoots even better- better than my Remingtons, Brownings, Ruger and Sako Finnlight.

Back to what bea175 said- my other hobby is acoustic guitar. No one would ever consider buying a factory acoustic-Gibson, Taylor or Martin without having it "set-up" by a luthier before expecting it play right. So, if my Kimber had a problem, before the drama of sending it back to the manufacturer, I would without hesitation take it to my gunsmith and pay the $65 for him to check it out.

And lastly, just because you have the same make and model guitar that Eric Clapton plays, doesn't mean you can play like Eric Clapton smile.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

People always looking for excuses Bob. We've heard all this chit before...

We've certainly heard this chit from you before. This is where you pretend like Bob's experiences are your own. What's your excuse?

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you use your Kimber for?

For my hunting the most frequent shot that gets the game is from a cold barrel.

If the bullet goes where I am it from a cold barrel I hit the game!

My target rifles get sighter shots!

Thus I am most concerned that my Kimber (and my other hunting rifles) hit where I aim them! They don't have to shoot groups, it's not a rifle match.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
never buy a factory rifle without being ready to work on it to get 1 inch or better groups, regardless of their guarantee

He's right.

Trystan, buy with confidence. After holding a Kimber once, I knew I had to have one.

I came home and, like you, read some negative reviews- but to be sure, postive ones too. I took the chance bought a Kimber Classic select in .243 and let me tell you, it's a laser. I just point it at deer and they die smile.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke i went ahead and bought a Kimber Montana in .308. It shoots even better- better than my Remingtons, Brownings, Ruger and Sako Finnlight.

Back to what bea175 said- my other hobby is acoustic guitar. No one would ever consider buying a factory acoustic-Gibson, Taylor or Martin without having it "set-up" by a luthier before expecting it play right. So, if my Kimber had a problem, before the drama of sending it back to the manufacturer, I would without hesitation take it to my gunsmith and pay the $65 for him to check it out.

And lastly, just because you have the same make and model guitar that Eric Clapton plays, doesn't mean you can play like Eric Clapton smile.

Guitars and guns, that's a damn good analogy. So many parallels it's not even funny.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by skeen

He's right.

Perfect analogy!! But, I didn't think logic was accepted in todays emotional drama entitled society??
Acoustic guitar is a hobby of mine too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just for the heck of it brought out the Nula 7mm-08 and shot it at the bench this afternoon.

First 5 out of a squeaky clean barrel went into 1. plus a little. Then the next 4 at 200 went into 1.25. Line it up on the bags and gentle on the trigger. Nothing hard about it and if I can do it.

Melvin may be getting cranky, but if you are after a LW that shoots then I can put up with a little cranky.

Last edited by battue; 12/04/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.