-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Any help or ideas here would be appreciated. I am heading to Brisbane in mid-October for a holiday with the wife. I have a fishing lodge in Alaska so it is the time that works for our schedule. I know it's spring but is there any deer available to hunt then? I've tried to contact folks with little success.

Travel to somewhere other than Brisbane isn't an issue my wife is doing a scuba thing and I'll be over the water by then.

Thanks!

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are red deer quite close to Brisbane. AFAIK there's no closed season on them in Qld, nor any bag limit, but in Qld you can only hunt on private land, for which you need the landowner's permission.

Other options, a bit further afield, include chital, mostly centred around Charters Towers (a couple of days drive or a short plane ride north of Brisbane) but again only on private land and with permission.

You could also drive a couple of hours south into NSW and hunt fallow (for which the open season in NSW runs from 1 March to 31 October), and while in NSW you can hunt on public land you do need written permission, which is done through the NSW Department of Primary Industry (http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting).

You'd also need to sort out licensing for a firearm, if you're going to use one. It is likely you'll need a guide to organise permissions, licences and firearms.

Have you tried contacting the Australian Deer Association?

A
aus Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
October the reds and fallow have shed. As Dan said there's axis at Charters Towers but you can do one probably cheaper and better in Texas - and get to eat him all.
There's some big toothy hogs up around there in the Basalt swamps too. Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/2...20160810_103527_zpsj4qr83g5.jpg.html?o=6

Should be able to find an outfitter to get you onto a few of those within a short plane ride from Brisbane.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a toothy hog!

1Minute
A
aus Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Sure is mate! Was an interesting stalk that one. On an island of floating grass. In the swamps there are huge mats of interwoven grass that are floating with reeds growing out of them and all. With each step the grass sinks and bubbles below you. Hard to be quiet but ended up sticking an arrow through him from just a few yards away.
A guy I know got tore up pretty good by one up there. He'd arrowed it not quite right and didn't find him on follow up. Stalked a good boar a couple days later but old friend boar busted him sneaking in and took off. Boar fell asse over head in a hole and that must have been the last straw for him. He got up mighty pissed and charged. Knocked the guy over and got up between his legs. This I'm sure you'll agree is the very last place you want a boar pig ripping his tusks about! Guy was very lucky that a legend bowhunter was with him who jumped in and grabbed the pig by the ears I think it was. They got a knife into it. No arteries or genitalia were opened luckily but he ended up with a heap of stitches. If he was alone it wouldn't have ended so well.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by aus
October the reds and fallow have shed. As Dan said there's axis at Charters Towers but you can do one probably cheaper and better in Texas - and get to eat him all.
There's some big toothy hogs up around there in the Basalt swamps too. Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/2...20160810_103527_zpsj4qr83g5.jpg.html?o=6

Should be able to find an outfitter to get you onto a few of those within a short plane ride from Brisbane.

they have not shed yet in all areas, some Fallow will hold head gear up to November and in a lot of areas Reds will hold head gear into November

a deer farm up the road the stags have dropped their antlers but in the bush they are still carrying for a while yet, why the pen heads dropped before the wild stags in the same area is a mystery

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Those red stags are beautiful

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 160user, 3333vl, 2UP, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.