-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I thought Talley Lightweights would make it TOO light!

I went windage adjustable just to go against the grain of the 'fire!

Call me a Rebel!

A few more shots and that fierce kicking .22-250 oughta blow those mounts off the gun!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wifes 700 MTN , 7-08. And her sheep hunting with it in the Brooks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I put this one together a couple of years ago. I got a great deal on the 1993 first run of the Rem 700 stainless mountain in .270. The factory plastic stock was rough but that didn't matter. It showed promise on the test targets so I dropped it into a B&C second generation Ti stock, bedded it, had the bolt fluted and skeletonized, and then topped it with Talley LW and a Leupold 2x7. It consistently delivers 1/2 inch groups with the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX. It weighs in at 6 lb. 12 oz.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My go-to version, a Rifles Inc. 284 on a Rem 700 SA with a lengthened box. 6.25 lbs with a Swaro Z3 in Talleys.

[Linked Image]

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

My go-to version, a Rifles Inc. 284 on a Rem 700 SA with a lengthened box. 6.25 lbs with a Swaro Z3 in Talleys.

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle, nice color on that bear too.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Remington 700 6.5-06 Douglas #2 1-8 twist at 22" Brown Precision stock. Now it is sporting a 6x36 FXII and Talley Lightweights instead of the 2.5-8x36 and Dual Dovetails.

[Linked Image]

Has taken a Moose

[Linked Image]

And a small Wolf

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Got any more pictures of the stock? Just curious, is the lengthened box a Wyatt's or something else?

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
7 3/4 pound 338 works good enough in the mountains too:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Got any more pictures of the stock? Just curious, is the lengthened box a Wyatt's or something else?

[Linked Image]

This is the rifle now; I "Kryloned" it due to many dings in the stock from hard use and I never really liked the original pattern. Also, has a PGT bolt now and, yes, a Wyatt box.

[Linked Image]

Another older pic that shows the stock's original pattern better before I painted the stock and before the new bolt.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/03/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BCJR;
Good morning to you sir, I trust that this finds you all well and warm on the first Sunday of the last month of 2016.

As my fellow BC resident Pat Brennan has already stated, we're almost exclusively hunting in the mountains here though they're less steep in our part of the world than a couple valleys west or east.

It's still an elevation change whenever one is hunting however and as I've aged for me the weight of my main hunting arm has been reduced by roughly 2 lbs.

Unless I'm chasing elk or moose as the primary target this is my main walking around rifle these days.

[Linked Image]

It's been a labour of love to say the least - starting with a Mauser commercial roll marked, military type 98 action - initially an '06 barrel, then a featherweight .270 and now a Swede military barrel that a gunsmith silver brazed a bushing onto the chamber end so it would fit a large ring action.

Besides that it's in a Wildcat Composites 20oz stock with a Timney trigger, Timney Beuhler safety, Wolff Blitzchnell mainspring, FN commercial extractor, PAWS aluminum bottom metal, new magazine spring, slicked up follower and a few more things that I'm likely forgetting. Oh - a 2oz recoil pad from Corlane's up in Dawson Creek too.

Anyway it's now 7lbs 2oz with the Boonie Packer Strap and 5 rounds of 120gr TTSX aboard.

So far with the latest barrel it's been two mulie bucks with a single shot each. This year's meat buck was on a hunt with our eldest daughter where we were able to squeeze in a quick hunt just before she was married.

She spotted the deer first, called it as a buck and said that his chin hit the ground so fast he bounced. Then again she shoots a Swede too, so she's a little biased. wink

[Linked Image]

Thanks again for the thread and thanks to all who've participated - there's some very fine rifles here that'd be right at home in our Okanagan highlands.

All the best to you all as we enter the Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
1. 700 TI stock fluted 25" #1.5 in 257 Roy. 5.75#. Wicked shooting stick...

2. 700 TI stock 22" #1 350 mag. 5.5# . Hammer both ways with 225's. Absolutely useless bench shooting. Quite entertaining to those not shooting it.

Have zero use for things over 6#. My current pile of parts includes a Brown pounder, fluted 375 and 257 for a switch barrel 6#er'.

Cheers

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I guess this is my mountain rifle now. Sporterized m98 in 8x57.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thank you! For me it's hard to intentionally make such an unintentional pattern and have not pulled off the 'multi-brown' look when I've tried it. Tried to dupe this, and it was a NoGo. Maybe next time I'll a try larger pattern rather than streaks. Appreciate the pics and info!

For relevance - it would look great on a Mountain Rifle. LOL

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
BCJR;
Good morning to you sir, I trust that this finds you all well and warm on the first Sunday of the last month of 2016.

As my fellow BC resident Pat Brennan has already stated, we're almost exclusively hunting in the mountains here though they're less steep in our part of the world than a couple valleys west or east.

It's still an elevation change whenever one is hunting however and as I've aged for me the weight of my main hunting arm has been reduced by roughly 2 lbs.

Unless I'm chasing elk or moose as the primary target this is my main walking around rifle these days.

[Linked Image]

It's been a labour of love to say the least - starting with a Mauser commercial roll marked, military type 98 action - initially an '06 barrel, then a featherweight .270 and now a Swede military barrel that a gunsmith silver brazed a bushing onto the chamber end so it would fit a large ring action.

Besides that it's in a Wildcat Composites 20oz stock with a Timney trigger, Timney Beuhler safety, Wolff Blitzchnell mainspring, FN commercial extractor, PAWS aluminum bottom metal, new magazine spring, slicked up follower and a few more things that I'm likely forgetting. Oh - a 2oz recoil pad from Corlane's up in Dawson Creek too.

Anyway it's now 7lbs 2oz with the Boonie Packer Strap and 5 rounds of 120gr TTSX aboard.

So far with the latest barrel it's been two mulie bucks with a single shot each. This year's meat buck was on a hunt with our eldest daughter where we were able to squeeze in a quick hunt just before she was married.

She spotted the deer first, called it as a buck and said that his chin hit the ground so fast he bounced. Then again she shoots a Swede too, so she's a little biased. wink

[Linked Image]

Thanks again for the thread and thanks to all who've participated - there's some very fine rifles here that'd be right at home in our Okanagan highlands.

All the best to you all as we enter the Christmas season.

Dwayne

That is a fine rifle , not too many like it anywhere. I have passed through OK falls many times.My wife use to do iron-man Canada when it was in Penticton. Ive been through most of the Okanagen and can say that it is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth as is BC in general. The people were always wonderful as well. I think we are both blessed to live where we live.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BCJR;
Good afternoon to you sir and thanks for the reply.

It's funny how small the world gets sometimes isn't it?

So if your wife ran the Iron Man back in the '90's then she turned around during the run at our horse pen which is a kilometer or so south of town.

If a little later then it was just a klick down the road from here.

I'm glad you were treated well here too - we tried to make the Iron Man folks welcome as it was a "big deal" for us as far as tourist dollars and such.

While they still do a triathlon now, the Iron Man sanctioned event has moved to Whistler now.

Thanks again for the reply and all the best to you folks as we enter the Christmas season.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/04/16.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Since we have one Tikka posted I guess I'll put another up. And I will agree, the Tikka Superlite is a fine rifle. I dropped my 7MM-08 into a Hunters Edge and sure like it a lot. In fact I hunted with it more this year than all my other rifles combined.

[Linked Image]

What pattern stock is that and what kind of rings are those? Thanks.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rem 700 mountain guide rifle built for Cabelas.
Leupold 3X9 in talley LWs

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
700 Ti in 260 Ackley, Edge stock

[Linked Image]

700 Ti 280 Ackley
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we have one Tikka posted I guess I'll put another up. And I will agree, the Tikka Superlite is a fine rifle. I dropped my 7MM-08 into a Hunters Edge and sure like it a lot. In fact I hunted with it more this year than all my other rifles combined.

[Linked Image]

My favorite Tikka..,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

[Linked Image]

What pattern stock is that and what kind of rings are those? Thanks.

Sorry just saw your post, the stock is a McMillan Hunters Edge in olive & tan/black speckle. Makes for a really nice handle IMHO. Rings are the DNZ one piece ring/mounts in low. Not as light weight as Talleys but I like them:)

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 12/05/16.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.