-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Penn State does not get in. And there are four teams in -- all of which are very happy they do not have to play Penn State.

Alabama -- In. They just kept winning.
Clemson -- In. A conference champion but won the title game against a #23 ranked team by only a touchdown, which makes Penn State's 7-point win against #6 Wisconsin a better quality win. And they got narrowly beaten by Pitt, who also narrowly beat Penn State.
Ohio State -- In, but didn't win their conference championship, didn't win their division title, didn't beat Penn State. And Penn State is now a much better team than they were the day they played Ohio State.
Washington -- In. But they never beat a top 10 team, and had a late-season conference loss at home against the #2 team in the other half of their conference USC.
Penn State -- Out. They won the toughest division in the toughest conference, beat the #7 team in a vicious second half comeback, beat Ohio State (at best the third-place team in their conference), won 9 straight, getting better every week, and though they lost to Michigan big, that was a long time ago and even the selection committee has PSU ranked ahead of Michigan. Plainly, the selection committee values early season games with more weight than the improvement of a team over time, so if you lose early it doesn't matter how good a team you become.

Here's my question: Could Washington win the Big Ten title? Very, very doubtful. Yet they're in. The selection committee said a long time ago that there won't be two teams from the same conference in the final four. If that's what they wanted, why is the B1G conference winner not in the mix. When the playoffs were set up, this wasn't supposed to happen.

Again, four teams have been selected, all of which are glad they won't have to play Penn State.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's with all of this "damn near got beat" BS? Every team out there except for Bama and WMU "almost got beat!" Especially PSU and tOSU. And most especially in their final games.

Good Grief!

Also, were I WMU I'd be major pissed.

Someone (maybe OO?) posted an 8 team scenario that sounded perfect and tailor made for this scenario. Maybe this will be the impetus for that. You know the committee will discuss it today. They have to because the media's definitely going to ask about it.

Last edited by byc; 12/04/16.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by natman
... in this case the 4 teams with the best OVERALL records ...

13-0?

Alabama should be awarded the National Championship for what they accomplished during the season.

Second place should be determined by the subjective play off or not so subjective playoff of conference winners of the remaining power conferences..

Who gives a [bleep] about being first loser anyway.. ?

Apparently Everyday Hunter does...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The best case scenario for thw National Championship is Ohio State and Alabama.

Anyone promoting anything else is either butt hurt in some fashion or has an agenda (scared).

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
What's with all of this "damn near got beat" BS? Every team out there except for Bama and WMU "almost got beat!" Especially PSU and tOSU. And most especially in their final games.

Good Grief!

Also, were I WMU I'd be major pissed.

Someone (maybe OO?) posted an 8 game scenario that sounded perfect and tailor made for this scenario. Maybe this will be the impetus for that. You know the committee will discuss it today. They have to because the media's definitely going to ask about it.

8-team playoff . . . here's how it would work this year

I just watched the ESPN Game Day interview with Big 10 commissioner Jim Delany. When asked to explain the selection committee protocol for selecting the four semi-finalists, and how important a conference champion was compared to "the four best teams," Delany iterated that four years ago he lobbied for selecting the four best conference champions for the playoff, but "we lost that election, and decided to go with the four best teams, which I'm fine with." (Boos from the PSU and Wisonsin fans could be heard in the background.) So now, it is total subjective touchy-feely, make up selection criteria as you go, eye-test BS. Basically, Delany was a gibbering fool trying to bring clarity to what exactly is the objective criteria to be declared one of four "best" teams.

So let me help out the CFP selection process. The CFP committee could still be used to seed the "best 16 teams" in the country for an 8-team, on the field playoff, but within a structured, objective and transparent framework, that heavily relies on the results of games played during the entire season. All of the eventual Top 16 teams would play on "Championship weekend, (which started last night) and the winners of those eight games would move into the 8-team Quarter finals of the CFP. The fair, objective framework would require the five conference champions from the Power 5 conferences, plus the top ranked (as decided by the CFP committee) Group of 5 conference champion. That leaves the four highest (CFP committee) ranked "non-conference champions" Wild Card teams to go against each other in two "play-in" games, which are played on championship weekend.

So how would it look this year?

1. Western Michigan beat Ohio (MAC Champion - Top Group of 5 winner)
2. Washington beat Colorado (PAC 12 Champion)
3. Oklahoma beat Oklahoma St (Big 12 Champion)
4. Alabama beat Florida (SEC Champion)
5. Penn St. beat Wisconsin (Big 10 Champion)
6. Clemson beat Virginia Tech (ACC Champion)

WILD CARD Play-in games (Played at the higher seed home stadium)
7. USC vs Ohio State
8. Michigan vs Wisconsin

See how this blend of objective, on the field results can be blended with the subjective eye-test criteria?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pedophile State University shouldn't even be allowed to play college football, but given that they do, I'd rather see them in the playoffs than Urban "crier" Myer and his guys. Especially since Pedophile State already beat them. 'Bama would beat PSU by 60.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good game

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

13-0?

Alabama should be awarded the National Championship ... at the beginning of the season...

This would save a lot of trouble and do away with the nuisance of playing any games.

How about Saban just playing against a Big Ten team he hasnt won against?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Pedophile State University shouldn't even be allowed to play college football, but given that they do, I'd rather see them in the playoffs than Urban "crier" Myer and his guys. Especially since Pedophile State already beat them. 'Bama would beat PSU by 60.

How much would they beat tOSU by?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Also, the serendipity of the 16 team playoff is you don't have to listen to the dum azzes on ESPN flappin' their jaws about who is the best team. It is already organized to be settled on the field of play. Herbsteit, Davis, Pollack, and Dinich to name just a few

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

13-0?

No, the one team that was 12-0, Alabama and the three teams that were 11-1, Clemson, Ohio State and Washington.

Yes I know that Western Michigan was also 12-0, but they play in a far weaker conference than any of the above teams and have no strength of schedule. The MAC is where Big 10 teams go to schedule their cupcake games. It's a terrific achievement to go unbeaten in any conference, but they didn't beat a single ranked team, much less a top 10 team. It's going to be interesting to see them play in the Cotton Bowl against Wisconsin.

It's amazing that the committee says how they are going to evaluate the teams and when they do exactly what they say they are going to do people tear their hair and rend their garments because the committee doesn't evaluate the teams they way THEY think they should. For the last time: conference championships are a poor way to compare teams at the national level. That's why the results don't always favor conference winners.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by JGRaider

How much would they beat tOSU by?

I'd say 14 at least.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like it!!

Galloway too.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HawkI

13-0?

Alabama should be awarded the National Championship ... at the beginning of the season...

This would save a lot of trouble and do away with the nuisance of playing any games.

How about Saban just playing against a Big Ten team he hasnt won against?

Once again, "My kingdom for a sarcasm icon".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
I like it!!

Galloway too.

Yeah I forgot him, He is horrible, as well as Robert Smith, Jason Sehorn, and Kevin Carter.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The College Football Playoff pairings are set.

After months of debate and 14 weeks of games, the committee came down with its final decision Sunday.

No. 1 Alabama will play No. 4 Washington in the Peach Bowl.

No. 2 Clemson and No. 3 Ohio State will face off in the Fiesta Bowl.

The final committee Top 25:

1. Alabama (13-0)

2. Clemson (12-1)

3. Ohio State (11-1)

4. Washington (12-1)

5. Penn State (11-2)

6. Michigan (10-2)

7. Oklahoma (10-2)

8. Wisconsin (10-3)

9. Southern California (9-3)

10. Colorado (10-3)

11. Florida State (9-3)

12. Oklahoma State (9-3)

13. Louisville (9-3)

14. Auburn (8-4)

15. Western Michigan (13-0)

16. West Virginia (10-2)

17. Florida (8-4)

18. Stanford (9-3)

19. Utah (8-4)

20. LSU (7-4)

21. Tennessee (8-4)

22. Virginia Tech (9-4)

23. Pittsburgh (8-4)

24. Temple (10-3)

25. Navy (9-3)

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two teams will be very embarrassed by Alabama, the first being Washington..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

If you can't even win your conference division much less your conference, then you have no business playing for the national championship. NONE.

This new system is no less of a cluster [bleep] than the old one. I could care less who gets in but how do you not win your conference and get a shot at the title? crazy

Last edited by jdunham; 12/04/16.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by jwp475

If you can't even win your conference division much less your conference, then you have no business playing for the national championship. NONE.

This new system is no less of a cluster [bleep] than the old one. I could care less who gets in but how do you not win your conference and get a shot at the title?

Yes it is and will continue to be. Take it to a top 8 team playoff bracket and the majority of the issues will likely be resolved. Eliminate the conference championships and put in a 16 team bracket and no one can bitch about anything anymore.

A true sport will always be determined by the merits of a team or single athlete. Once you inject subjectivity it becomes a pageant. Computers, judges and especially press writers are awful models for determining the best teams in the country and should stick to dance shows and cheerleading competitions.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 4winds

A true sport will always be determined by the merits of a team or single athlete. Once you inject subjectivity it becomes a pageant. Computers, judges and especially press writers are awful models for determining the best teams in the country and should stick to dance shows and cheerleading competitions.

This

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 7887mm08, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.