EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a camp in Randolph County and we saw the fewest number of bucks in the last 10-12 years . I got a small 8 pt and a spike and only saw several others . Lot of does saw 30 does on several different days.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Of course it is; I'm hunting in VA this year!

Wonder if the total kill is down as well, or if hunters are just shooting does?

I hunted a small piece of public land the last four years and saw some bucks before the season, but only a couple of small ones during, except for a nice 8-point that was scooting to private land in the dark on the opening day of ML season. The private VA land I'm hunting this year is only a few miles away from that WV WMA I hunted before, and I've seen a number of bucks there, including a pretty decent one.

Be interesting to see what the official reason will be after it's all over.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Okay, I followed the link and they say it was the wind. Possibly, I just stayed home when it was real windy since the VA season runs until Jan. 7. I might take my ML on Friday just for the heck of it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know our area in Randolph County was really windy the first several days . Sustained winds of 20 mph and gusts 30-35+

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure how much stock I put in the wind theory. All of my preseason scouting; looking at numbers, buck sign and bucks indicated this was going to be a dismal year. (I hunt Central WV)

Once season opened, I did manage to see good numbers, but only small bucks that I wouldn't shoulder the rifle for. One thing that was glaringly obvious was the lack of hunters. Places that are usually overrun with people were vacant. Not sure what contributed to this, but there just weren't many people hunting this year like there has been in previous years.....maybe it was the wind.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hunted two weeks in Hampshire County. We did drives both weeks, yes the wind was rough. Our club usually takes 25-35 deer opening week. This year, first week, yielded only 11. I call BS on blaming wind. There were VERY few mature deer seen period. I normally see more mature deer on ONE deer drive than what I saw in ONE whole week. There was mention of "Blue Tongue" having wiped out a large amount of the herd.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A gnat-borne disease hit my area some years ago. Found a dozen dead deer on the local 150-acre park alone. If it was that, though, you'd find carcasses all over, i'd think, for quite some time. The ones I found were in heavy cover, so possibly you just didn't see them.

Hampshire used to be the number one county. Has the CWD made a big impact?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
DNR has been taking lymph nodes, IIRC, for last several years when the animal was checked in. Now we just use their online check in. Never saw any meaningful drop off in numbers since CWD was a "thing".

All the dead deer found this year were in the river bottoms. The assumption, they were boiling with fever from "Blue Tongue". One member saw a deer "knee walking" in a river bottom around the end of summer/beginning of fall. Said he could smell death before he even saw that poor SOB. I'm sure there were more than a few down there stinking it up.

Last edited by woodson; 12/06/16.
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
IMHO? Too many bucks taken last year due to the bumper mast crop in '14. Other reasons to but this can't be dismissed.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What hit us was EHD, a disease related to Bluetongue. The DNR site says they are indistinguishable in the field and spread the same way. As I recall, both kill quickly.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would imagine we are gonna face a few lean seasons before the numbers rebound. On a positive note we had a hell of acorn crop this year.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Overall white oak acorn production was only 20% state wide. If there wasn't mast in the woods the deer were near fields. I hunted Jackson Co. at Staats Mills the first two days. I saw 4 deer (all doe) in two full days of hunting. Two from our camp got bucks, an 8 point and a 10 point. They were hunting areas between the fields and bedding areas. There was some rut activity observed on that end of the property. The oak tree in our yard dropped acorns a bit early. The deer and squirrels cleaned them up as fast as they dropped. Deer are grazing in our yard nightly. IMO the sighting problem is a food source problem.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in Hardy Co our #s are way down. EDH hit our area pretty hard it seems. IMO far too many young bucks are harvested in WV. I really wish the WVADNR would adopt point restrictions on bucks. Just look at the results coning out of PA.

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
^^^ Yep. I'm in Mineral Co. Way too many bucks taken last yr. I know people who took 3 or more. I hunt the GWNF in Va. In Va. your first buck can be whatever(maybe 3" or better?). After that 4pts to one side or more. No does in the GWNF except the last day of antlered season and the last day of late season. Also no ATV/UTV's and behind locked gates it's walk in only. SO MUCH land.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EZEARL
IMHO? Too many bucks taken last year due to the bumper mast crop in '14. Other reasons to but this can't be dismissed.

This is my opinion as well, the seasons are too liberal allowing too many bucks to be harvested.

As for the disease some of you guys were seeing; I seen no signs of it in the center of the state nor did others mention it this year. It's been a few years since we've seen anything like that.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't see any signs of disease in out area but I'll agree with others on the need to let small bucks go . I saw 30 does on several occasions and no bucks . Pretty screwed up buck to doe ratio . Makes a big difference during the rut also . Most bucks don't have to go far to find does.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IIRC the rut was in the first week last year and there were more bucks taken the first week than usual.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I was sorry I didn't get W.Va license this year. Maybe didn't miss much.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EZEARL
^^^ Yep. I'm in Mineral Co. Way too many bucks taken last yr. I know people who took 3 or more. I hunt the GWNF in Va. In Va. your first buck can be whatever(maybe 3" or better?). After that 4pts to one side or more. No does in the GWNF except the last day of antlered season and the last day of late season. Also no ATV/UTV's and behind locked gates it's walk in only. SO MUCH land.

That restriction in VA only applies to certain Western counties. VA regs are convoluted, with often different rules for public and private land, as well as Eastern and Western counties.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 67 invisible), 3,304 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,832
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.