Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Big, thick, windproof, electric? What's it going to take to keep my fingertips functional? Just out playing dry fire with the rifle as darkness was falling, 5F with 10-15 wind. SOB! Well past the comfort point with the mechanics gloves!

Any favorites from the cold climate folks? What to avoid? Like to be able to squeeze a trigger... Supposed to go down into the -20s here, that's new to me by about 30 degrees. Brrrrr...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
for them temps you need handwarmers. any glove that will keep you semi-warm at 5F will be like catchers mitts. i use silk glove liners and over those i wear wool GI issue glove liners and have those disposable handwarmers in my palms. still able to manage the gun action with that combo.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use ragwool gloves and the handwarmers in the palm.

No cold hands.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If your stand sitting I would go with a Muffler with and hand warmer or two in it. Wear some thin gloves that will keep your hands from instantly freezing when you need them.

If your mobile I would wear some mitten shells over some thin gloves and learn how to shuck the mitten on the firing hand quickly.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rubber gloves+ glove liners+ thick gloves

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hold hands with your favorite hunting buddy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It keeps the riffraff out.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My thick gloves that I have been wearing for years are getting worn out. I can't find any that will fit me. I ordered a pair of XX and when they arrived, they were about what an L should normally be, so I gave them to my cousin. I can't find any XXX to buy. I try on warm gloves in every place that I come across but they do not fit anywhere near what they should. I don't mind wearing thick gloves and shucking them when I shoot, but I have to find them first. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep - that's the test, riffraff or going to cut it.... Took ten minutes to dress the tagalong today... We're new. LOL

Some deer strolled by at about 400 yards at last light and I am certain I could have scared them enough to put them running - and that's about it.

Appreciate the inputs and like to hear more. I almost ordered a couple pairs earlier today then got to thinking they looked mighty thin. Thinking Windstopper shell would be good and heaters...

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
It keeps the riffraff out.

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tom264
Hold hands with your favorite hunting buddy.

Spooning is always an option in certain circles.

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
cabelas pinacle gloves are on sale. warm
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Pinnacle-Gloves-with-GORE-TEX-reg/2288507.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dgloves%26CQ_st%3Db

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Screw the gloves, shucking mittens or mufflers, get a pair of mittens with a trigger finger.

[Linked Image]

These are buckskin with a flannel liner. I add thin polypropylene gloves if needed for colder temps. In extreme cold temps, I stuff HotHand warmers in. This allows quick, easy access thru the trigger guard and touch on the trigger.

Last edited by roundoak; 12/06/16.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You don't need to do much to keep your fingers warm except to stop the wind. Fingers do not generate their own heat.

You have to keep warm blood flowing through your wrists without any of it getting restricted or cold.

Warm your torso with vests, and chemical handwarmers on your kidneys. Use a hand muff with a couple of chemical handwarmers in it. Use a light layering glove with a handwarmer on the wrist side of it, covered by a loose large windproof glove.

DO NOT wear layers of sleeves that restrict your elbows when you bend them. That shuts off circulation to your hands.

DO NOT wear restrictive heavy gloves. That shuts off circulation to your finger tips.

DO NOT allow cold air to leak in around your cuffs and gloves interface. That circulates cold blood to your hands.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Stop shopping hunting clothes. Look at places that sell mushing equipment.

Big leather mitt's with liners it the way to go I think. I use silk or wool liners with decent gloves, but when it gets real cold I use silk inside the wool liners, in Mitts.

As said earlier don't wear anything that cuts off circulation. That is key in every aspect of dressing, feet included.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep a warm critter handy to keep your hands warm

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
About the best I have found is a heavy pair of smooth leather gloves with the gore tex lining.

If that does not work, I will wear lined mitts over them.

I have not found leather gloves big enough to wear something underneath.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Use a hand muff with a couple of chemical handwarmers in it.
If you're sitting, a muff works great. Wear thin glove liners so you can pull your hands out to shoot without your skin sticking to the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 12/06/16.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Get a pair of waterproof shell mittens. Put chemical handwarmers in them.
Put them over your mechanix gloves and smile.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
take a look at kinco, that's what I see ski lift operators wearing, lined work gloves, while they stand around in the snow at 10,000 feet.

might have to go somewhere to try them on, they might be too thick for trigger work, unless you get a Mauser with a winter trigger guard!

https://kinco.com/ski/

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.