Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Got Dish, and over the last week or several we'll see this MSNBC commercial about how MSNBC is going to investigate real issues and provide only the truth and blah blah blah... Yeah, it'll make you gag.

Anyway, wife saw it and I didn't so we hit rewind on the DVR so she can show it to me because it's so blatantly just propaganda.

Not there. There's another commercial there.

Seen it several times since, and it is never there if you rewind to view it. Apparently it's being shown over the top of other commercials that is saved in memory if you rewind.

WTH?

I can understand Dish allowing folks to pay them for commercials that they just slap over ads shown by networks (tho I'm sure that the companies paying for the commercials they hijack aren't happy), but it not being there when you back up 10 seconds seems very odd to this computer guy, at least.

It's actually an interesting feature... Think of it, video that can be shown to millions and millions of viewers and no proof that it ever existed unless somebody is recording their television with their phone.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Who in hell watches MSNBC anyhow???

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only on election nights when repubs are winning. Then the schadenfreude is strong.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Redneck

Look who the OP is...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Look who the OP is...

Nobody according to the ratings, and to keep blowfish's accuracy on par I never do either.

Doesn't matter WHAT channel you watch, Dish can ghost commercials over that channel's commercials and it's not recorded on the DVR. I think the last time I saw it was while watching Midway USA's Gun Stories on the Outdoor Channel.

I can understand Dish pushing commercials out to viewers no matter what channel they are on, it's a capitalist economy and if they sign deals with subscribing channels that they can put out so much of their own advertising over the subscriber channel, then fine.

I don't understand Dish writing their code so the ghosted commercials never get recorded to DVR or saved in memory.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/06/16.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OMG, I'm soooo sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Jeez, surprised you didn't blame Trump for it.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Doesn't happen here - but then, I don't have Dish..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Look who the OP is...

Yup

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We don't watch that crap at my house

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
We don't watch that crap at my house

Television?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I see occasionally [DTV]where about 1/2 a second of a commercial starts then another comes over top. Next time I see it I will try backing up to see which commercial is actually recorded.
And FYI-I see ads for many different networks than the one I am watching all the time.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Simple explanation if you know how it all works.... They (Dish) can store commercials on your receiver and trigger them to run at specified times as per their contract with the network. The receiver when rewinded is doing this on the transport stream that is coming in and thus sometimes you have this anomaly. Dish wants this option that will allow them to run specific commericals in different areas... I.e. Regional advertising..

Nothing about this is covert or shady.... This is done by a lot of the big distributors... Put away the tin foil and conspiracy theories....

All Cable networks have in their contracts with networks times that allow the distributors to insert commercials over the network feed commercials at designated times.... This is just an anomaly of how it is done

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

well look who you're responding to.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nothing about this is covert or shady....
I agree that nothing is. Everything about this is covert and shady.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sako
Simple explanation if you know how it all works.... They (Dish) can store commercials on your receiver and trigger them to run at specified times as per their contract with the network. The receiver when rewinded is doing this on the transport stream that is coming in and thus sometimes you have this anomaly. Dish wants this option that will allow them to run specific commericals in different areas... I.e. Regional advertising..

Nothing about this is covert or shady.... This is done by a lot of the big distributors... Put away the tin foil and conspiracy theories....

All Cable networks have in their contracts with networks times that allow the distributors to insert commercials over the network feed commercials at designated times.... This is just an anomaly of how it is done

Figured this was what was happening, but it didn't make sense that it was overlaying the input stream separately from the stream that got saved rather than keep it as one.

Didn't think there was any tin hat stuff going around - though the potential for it is there. If nothing else, the setup for an EPIC hack is sitting there waiting for somebody to implement.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.