Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Not yet. As of 10/30/16, the shop had isolated the issue to injectors not pulsing.

Well, duhh. That is what I told the mechanic when I dropped the truck off on the fifteenth.

Anxiously awaiting an update!

Somewhat educated guess based on my limited experience:

I believe you have an injector output stage blown in the ECU, or no RPM signal getting to the ECU. The former possibly from voltage spikes due to the loose/disconnected battery terminal with the engine running. Poor battery connectivity while the alternator is charging can wreak havoc with solid state modules.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Finally some news. Mechanic called today, said he could not get a return signal back from the ECM on the injector circuit.

I got off work early enough to make it home to retrieve a spare ECM from a recently purchased parts truck.

Will find out Monday if the pickup will run after ECM swap.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Any update??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1984 HiLux 4x4 with a straight axle.

I solved my 22R problem. It now has a Ford 302 stuffed under the hood grin with an Edlebrock aluminum intake, and a Holly 650 carb.

Only one minor problem.... AZ Emissions mad

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Just crickets!

Apparently she failed to start after the computer change.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We never get follow-ups. Why do we help??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
There has been little to report.

The truck has been in the shop for nine weeks and still will not start.

The mechanic replaced the ECM, and said that the injectors are now pulsing, he dicked with timing, replaced the fuel filter, replaced my brand new sparkplugs with another new set, drained the gas tank and added new 91 octane.

Yea, he is just taking shots in the dark!

He charged me for three hours labor, and the new parts.

Friday, I moved the pickup over to a different shop which I have used over the last 15 years with excellent results. This mechanic has some excellent techs, and promised to be under the hood by Wednesday morn.

Why didn't I take it here first?

The first guy is a personal friend of my SIL. And SIL is extremely good to Momma and me.

I will update with findings.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There has been little to report.

The truck has been in the shop for nine weeks and still will not start.

The mechanic replaced the ECM, and said that the injectors are now pulsing, he dicked with timing, replaced the fuel filter, replaced my brand new sparkmplugs with another new set, drained the gas tank and added new 91 octane.

Yea, he is just taking shots in the dark!

He charged me for three hours labor, and the new parts.

Friday, I moved the pickup over to a different shop which I have used over the last 15 years with excellent results. This mechanic has some excellent techs, and promised to be under the hood by Wednesday morn.

Why didn't I take it here first?

The first guy is a personal friend of my SIL. And SIL is extremely good to Momma and me.

I will update with findings.

Whoever called that piccolo player a piccolo player is a mother fu cker... Just sayin. 9 weeks in the shop and that "mechanic" is still taking stabs in the dark. Holy fu ck!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hope you get the mystery solved, and truck gets back on the road. I'm on my third Toyota, the first 2 bought new. The only issues with any of them was the "96", which had igniton switch, starter replaced, but it was after 255,000 miles.

Last edited by Wyogal; 12/10/16.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Oh yes, he also put on a new coil.

My SIL has a fleet of more than twenty old diesel trucks and pickups. SIL has been averaging about $5,OOO per month in business over the last couple years with this guy, and he has given pretty good sevice on diesels from 6 liter Cummins, up to big Cat engines.

But he was out of his depth with this Toyota.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
bsa1917Hunter
Whoever called that piccolo player a piccolo player is a mother fu cker... Just sayin. 9 weeks in the shop and that "mechanic" is still taking stabs in the dark. Holy fu ck!!!

I have been having an on going problem with my 1988 4Runner. The Check Engine light keeps coming on. The code reader finds no codes, and even when it happens 'live' as in while driving, with a code reader hooked up, no info is forthcoming.
My mechanic is good, his equipment resources are good. His contacts with the local Toyota Dealer are good.
No one can figure it out. There seems to be no actual bad effects of the light coming on, but it's aggravating.
Two months now, and no solution. All the grounds have been double checked, and I am going nuts.

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sam
Cover it with tape!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by deerstalker
come to think about it , sometimes plugs will not spark under compression if your primary electrical supply is weak. add another battery and see.

This.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by deerstalker
come to think about it , sometimes plugs will not spark under compression if your primary electrical supply is weak. add another battery and see.

This. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One small life lesson I've learned is that sometimes the problem isn't one thing, but several. Sometimes there's been misunderstanding on top of misunderstanding, or mistake on mistake, and no one thing solves the problem.

The solution is to go back to the beginning and troubleshoot every one, one at a time. Eliminate assumptions by proving each component. Don't assume a replaced part is good, test it. This sounds like it may be compound issues or false assumptions keeping you from solving this puzzle.

FWIW.

LOL
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
It is in fresh hands now, and he will start from scratch.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
bsa1917Hunter

I have been having an on going problem with my 1988 4Runner. The Check Engine light keeps coming on. The code reader finds no codes, and even when it happens 'live' as in while driving, with a code reader hooked up, no info is forthcoming.
My mechanic is good, his equipment resources are good. His contacts with the local Toyota Dealer are good.
No one can figure it out. There seems to be no actual bad effects of the light coming on, but it's aggravating.
Two months now, and no solution. All the grounds have been double checked, and I am going nuts.

SAM,

Mine experiences the same problem.... won't show up on the code readers, but it depends on what type of code reader.. due to the age of the vehicle, so of the code readers on the market don't have the info in them to diagnose it...at least that is what I've been told multiple times...

On mine, it is the O 2 sensor.... mines been doing this for 150K +....doesn't really seem to effect any function I need...

The Oxy 2 sensors, are 1 wire for an 87 and some 88s... the rest of the 88s have a 4 wire sensor... cost to replace the 1 wire Oxy Sensor is under $40... the one for the 4 wire is over $100...

recently had mine checked at the college auto program, and they determined the Ox2 sensor...

when the weather gets cold enough, or I am at 5,000 ft altitude or more... mine always goes out...

comes back on, when I get below 3 to 4000 ft....

I don't have to deal with any inspections here, so I just run it...hasn't effected Schitt in 150K...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh yes, he also put on a new coil.

My SIL has a fleet of more than twenty old diesel trucks and pickups. SIL has been averaging about $5,OOO per month in business over the last couple years with this guy, and he has given pretty good sevice on diesels from 6 liter Cummins, up to big Cat engines.

But he was out of his depth with this Toyota.

If ya wanna get this squared away, if they have a local comm college with an automotive program.. I'd run it over there...

the instructors love stuff like that to assign the senior students on.... our local college ( when they do charge) is $25 for the visit...and parts... no hourly charges etc..

I've seen plenty of cars come in there for solutions after the owners have been raped by some local shop or two... the problem is found and fixed pretty cheaply...

The auto program doesn't sabotage stuff like local shops have a habit of doing around here... they put a warranty on their work and if you have to bring it back it is at no charge...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks Seafire.

I will give the new mechanic a few days. We do have a community college in Ontario and I assume they have auto tech training.

That is a definite avenue to explore if the current shop does not find an answer.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.