Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is a good deal, saw that this morning. I just wish they still had the aluminum floorplate though. Thats the one change I really didnt like on the hawkeyes. That piece of steel on there feels like they hung a weight from the magazine and branded it with the Ruger Logo. The original shiny stainless MKII's with aluminum floorplate was about as close to indestructible as they come. I'd love to find one with iron sights.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Ruger Hawkeyes at cdnnsports.com for $499.

For the win.

They have the blued, synthetic Hawkeye in 280 Rem for $449 at the moment. I messed around and let the all weather stainless 7mm-08s sell out before I snagged one for $499.

I picked up one of the All Weather .280 Hawkeyes for myself, an All Weather .30-06 for a wedding present and Daughter #1 picked up a lefty walnut .308. Also got a walnut .30-06 for a wedding present but that didn't work out and the rifle is back in my safe. They all shoot great. If I wasn't in the middle of (probably year long) build of a .308 AR I'd probably get another.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
They are available now. I sold 2 last month.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Savage. Cheap, they shoot really well.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tikka, you won't be disappointed in an accurate rifle. It's also well made.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Whats the deal with the new Hawkeye stainless finishes? When the hawkeye came out, they all had that gritty matte finish, I know they changed the blued ones to a very nice satin, what if anything was done to the stainless?

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Sportsmans Warehouse has 10% off right now on almost all rifles. I had some time to kill yesterday so ended up in the gun section and walked out with a new Tikka T3x Superlite in 7MM-08. The new model does have a slightly nicer factory stock than the old T3, the grip are has some nice texture to it, the recoil pad is maybe a bit softer, the new metal bolt shroud is also nice. For the price at 10% off its a heck of a nice rifle, and I expect it will shoot as well as my other Superlite 7MM-08.

Frank you know your gonna drop that bad boy in a McEdge....you don't care about that factory stock😏 Hope you're doing well...

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hanco - "Cheap, they shoot really well." Please clarify "cheap" for me as nothing today is "cheap"...less expensive maybe but not cheap. I've several Savage short actions and they provide good value for your $$$ and are accurate. Have no opinion on the AXIS models as I've not handled any. Homesteader

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We are in the golden age of accurate affordable rifles and superior optics a working man can afford. Other than Remington's POS bargain model you almost can't go wrong buying one. I didn't like the feel of my Ruger American it was too flimsy and barrel light for me but it shot quite well. I've bought a couple of Savage Axis rifles without accutrigger and the need trigger spring tweaking to shoot well but they do. I bought a Howa this week for $330 in 25-06 and I'm guessing it will shoot and feel good. The Tikkas are nice but to me the Weatherby Vanguard is the best bang for the buck today. The idea that you can buy a 300 or 257 Weatherby for under $500 is hard to fathom when you compare performance and cost vs a MK V or custom, I love my 300 and it really shoots. A VX2, Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meopro, SWFA SS, Burris FF2, Sightron S2, and a bunch of others for under $350 mean that we have great choices today.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some good advice there...I still think Tikka's are tough to beat. If you cant warm up to the plastic, the Vanguard is a solid rifle. Throw a FFII on there and your set. Its almost unfair for what you pay.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Where can you find a good deal on a Tikka SS Lite 308?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by RAS
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Best value. Savage 10/11 series. You can get their package series with a useful Nikon scope for around $500. They are running a $75 rebate right now. Savage will shoot right there with a Tikka and in the unlikely event you ever need customer service, you can get it with Savage. Savage is a US company feeding US families and playing an active role in the preservation of 2A. The OP mentioned variety of calibers. Yep, Savage brings it.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXP

Paul convinced me here. He is correct and I go back on my Tikka recommendation. Savages are crazy accurate as well. And they are made here. You can keep the Nikon scope though.

Lay a Savage and a Tikka side by side at the range with a couple boxes of ammo..... ain't no one picking the Savage.

Who cares what others think....spend your money on what you want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The other day I wanted a new rifle. I looked at several brands including the Savage and the Tikka. I purchased the Savage. To me it's a better value.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About half my rifles and handguns were acquired gently used.

Hard to beat that for value when you get them at the prices I've paid.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just about the best value in a rifle, today, is a pre-'64 Model 70, in a commonly produced chambering (such as .30-06) that has had a minor modification, like a non-factory recoil pad added. Bought my Featherweight for $700. It isn't likely to depreciate. smile

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
pal, I'll give you $705.00 for that fine rifle.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give me a moment to think about that....NAH! smile

But I'm right about the best value being a rifle that you can always sell for MORE than you paid for it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pal

But I'm right about the best value being a rifle that you can always sell for MORE than you paid for it.

Amen brother. You got that right. Try going on down to the next gunshow and selling a Remington 783, 710 or RAR. A couple of my buddies only buy the really cheap rifles like these and they have had the pleasure of TRYING to sell a used cheap rifle and it didn't go too well for them. I don't think they will ever understand, but it was an eye opener for them nonetheless.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM that shoots incredible.

Add a SWFA and you're out the door for around $700 and can slap a lot of stuff silly with factory ammo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by pal

Amen brother. You got that right. Try going on down to the next gunshow and selling a Remington 783, 710 or RAR. A couple of my buddies only buy the really cheap rifles like these and they have had the pleasure of TRYING to sell a used cheap rifle and it didn't go too well for them. I don't think they will ever understand, but it was an eye opener for them nonetheless.... wink

I'm going to disagree a bit, although I do prefer that my rifles will sell for more than I have in them.

'Value' is a qualitative measure. Some of my firearms have sentimental 'value' that far exceed their monetary worth. Others I may have paid 'too much' for at the time but bought because I wanted them and couldn't find them for less.

My custom 6.5-06AI cost more than I'll ever get out of it but I don't care at all - I had it built for a purpose and it fills that role well. When I told Big Brother it was my '600-yard clay pigeon shooter' his response was 'I hope it does more than that.' It is and it does, but if that was all it was good for I'd be happy with it.

I'm the kind of guy that scratches his itches and generally finds that doing so is very satisfying. If the scratch produces the desired results, I really don't care about some hypothetical sell price.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.