Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Neat pics....where are the flintlocks in those pics though? Handmade guns and no pics???;)

[Linked Image]

Left to right:
-Custom Wilson 62 trade gun smoothbore by Danny Caywood, decorated with bead inlays as per the circa 1750 O'Connor gun presented to an Abanaki Indian Chief a few hundred years ago

-'MaryAnn', a 54-cal early Lancaster, 44" swamped C-weight barrel, built from a Chambers kit

-'Ginger', a 50-cal, forget the school, 42" swamped C-weight barrel, made from a rough-sawn blank and parts

...FYI, 'Lovie' is being built this year - well now going into 2017, a custom left-hand JP Beck school 50-cal longrifle, 44" swamped B-weight barrel, built from an ultra premium AAA+ tiger-striped blank from Dave Keck of Knob Mountain Muzzleloading, large LH Siler lock from Jim Chambers and parts from Track of the Wolf

[Linked Image]

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flint62Smoothie
Neat pics....where are the flintlocks in those pics though? Handmade guns and no pics???;)

[Linked Image]

Left to right:
-Custom Wilson 62 trade gun smoothbore by Danny Caywood, decorated with bead inlays as per the circa 1750 O'Connor gun presented to an Abanaki Indian Chief a few hundred years ago

-'MaryAnn', a 54-cal early Lancaster, 44" swamped C-weight barrel, built from a Chambers kit

-'Ginger', a 50-cal, forget the school, 42" swamped C-weight barrel, made from a rough-sawn blank and parts

...FYI, 'Lovie' is being built this year - well now going into 2017, a custom left-hand JP Beck school 50-cal longrifle, 44" swamped B-weight barrel, built from an ultra premium AAA+ tiger-striped blank from Dave Keck of Knob Mountain Muzzleloading, large LH Siler lock from Jim Chambers and parts from Track of the Wolf

[Linked Image]

I really like the early Lancaster. I like the wide buttplate for the 54, and the swamped barrel. I would like to have one built with set trigger and a little shorter barrel. I really want to make it to Dixon's some day.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Terryk
I would like to have one built with set trigger and a little shorter barrel. I really want to make it to Dixon's some day.

I would call Tip Curtis in TN, small town north of Nashville and have one made in the white - you finish the wood and metal as you see fit. Should run you $1K +/- or so.

I hear you on dble-set triggers, but we prefer single triggers and if well tuned and pinned high, you'll get a light pull that is perfect for hunting. During last year's PA hunt I actually had a doe spook at the sound of the dble-set trigger being 'set' ... when then using a 50-cal Austin & Halleck 50-cal Hawken style rifle.

Believe it or not, but the lock time is actually increased when using set triggers, due to the extra lever involved ... not that lock time w/ a flinter is a huge concern given the strike of the flint to ignite to pan, to then light the charge, plus the loooooonnnng barrel time, given the velocity ...

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Terryk
I would like to have one built with set trigger and a little shorter barrel. I really want to make it to Dixon's some day.

I would call Tip Curtis in TN, small town north of Nashville and have one made in the white - you finish the wood and metal as you see fit. Should run you $1K +/- or so.

I hear you on dble-set triggers, but we prefer single triggers and if well tuned and pinned high, you'll get a light pull that is perfect for hunting. During last year's PA hunt I actually had a doe spook at the sound of the dble-set trigger being 'set' ... when then using a 50-cal Austin & Halleck 50-cal Hawken style rifle.

Believe it or not, but the lock time is actually increased when using set triggers, due to the extra lever involved ... not that lock time w/ a flinter is a huge concern given the strike of the flint to ignite to pan, to then light the charge, plus the loooooonnnng barrel time, given the velocity ...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Those are some beautiful rifles!

I also have a single trigger on my rifle and greatly prefer it to a double set trigger.

I've posted pics of mine before elsewhere in this section. It's based on the John Schreit rifle of Reading PA from the 1760's, and it was made for me by Allen Martin in the Mifflinburg area. He's also a fan of a single trigger, and I was more than ok going that route. And I'm glad I did.

Not only do you not have the click from the trigger being set (you can skip that if needed, just have a heavier pull on the trigger), but you can pull and hold the trigger while cocking the gun and the sear won't make any sound because it doesn't have to click into place. Once fully back, you ease off the trigger and the gun is cocked silently.

I happen to live about 15 minutes from Dixon's. It's a blessing and a curse!

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
... it was made for me by Allen Martin in the Mifflinburg area.

Oh wow, he's one of the best builders out there! All of his work is oustanding! Good for you sir, good for you!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Flint62Smoothie

[Linked Image]

Left to right:

[Linked Image]

Beautiful!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It's probably been 20 years since I hunted the PA flintlock season. I only killed a couple there but enjoyed the hell out of it. Maybe I'll get back for that season in the near future........good luck guys.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya i'll be shooting the firestorm on saturday to make sure its still good to go. we only have one and 3 hunters so one will go with the m/l, one with the crossbow and one (probably me) will be squirrelin'/driving.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
From flint season last winter...

[Linked Image]

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by j2dogs
[Linked Image]

Thats a nice flintlock, for $101.90 and a couple tanks of gas you can shoot a buck or doe in an exclusive flintlock season. Always starts the day after Christmas.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Two days down......anybody score?

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Notta! Went out today after it quit raining around 9, first time out. Me and a buddy did some still hunting and little nudges as we call them. Saw one tail about 150 yards out. My buddy on the other hand (new to flintlocks) saw 3 bedded. He got a good rest and ended up with 3 flashes in the pan before the deer decided it had enough of the fireworks and moved on. I inspected his touch hole and couldnt get my pick through it. He has it remedied now and we might head out Saturday for a bit.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Side note: My buddy, just getting started, has a flinter twisted 1:48, whats that good for? A short conical? I know that exclusive conical shooters prefer 1:28 or 1:32 and round ball shooters like 1:60. He also bought pyrodex as that is all the local store had. I told him real blackpowder is best for a flinter, but will pyrodex even work?

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomM1
Side note: My buddy, just getting started, has a flinter twisted 1:48, whats that good for? A short conical? I know that exclusive conical shooters prefer 1:28 or 1:32 and round ball shooters like 1:60. He also bought pyrodex as that is all the local store had. I told him real blackpowder is best for a flinter, but will pyrodex even work?

1/48 is kinda designed to shoot conicals or patched ball. The rule of thumb is patches need deeper rifling, and conicals and sabots shallower rifling. Patched ball twists are 1/60, 1/70, and "slugs" twice as fast. I think most 1/48 twist are better with patched ball.
Pyrodex will not work well in a flint. Some guys use 10 grains first, then top off with pyrodex. For a casual shooter, just use 3F in the barrel and the same 3F in the flash pan.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Terry, seems the PA conicals which were ~200-230 grains IIRC would work well in a 1:48 twist.

I agree on the 3F all the way around, and might go that route myself when the 2F is gone. He's got a can of 4F, just cant locate any GOEX 2F, stuff is getting harder to find.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The PA Conicals were intended for slow-twist round ball barrels to use conicals. They have shot well in the 1:66 Lyman Great Plains Rifles I've seen them shot through. I used one, my father used another. Both shot them pretty well.

I never shot a deer with one, but my dad shot several and they kill well.

1:48 is the "compromise twist". I have a TC Renegade with that twist and it shot everything "ok". Nothing was bragging rights accurate, but it shot plenty well enough to kill deer. I took a doe at 90 yards offhand with it. wink

I've only gotten out once so far. Was sick as a dog on 12/26, was functional yesterday but had obligations in the morning. Got out in the evening, but the wind was a bit of a problem. Nothing showed.

Was going to head out this morning, but had a hunch my day off from work was going to turn into a day at work. I was right, and I'm in my office babysitting contractors who are doing some work for us.

Hoping to get out this evening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TomM1

Have him try the 275 grain T/C Maxi-Hunters. Don't expect gilt edged accuracy, but 90 grains or so (+/- 10 grains) behind that should give ample "minute of deer" accuracy to 100.

Oh, and pure BP in a flinter.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (14idaho, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.