Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Not sure how I feel about this.

Of course, I am on a farm, so I never thought about lifting weights, I guess a lot of kids did that when I was younger.

To me, it is more of an attitude thing. Not sure a simple purchase of a weight set will be enough.

Must be millions of pounds of exercise equipment sitting idle or in the dumps.

I would think that a simple shift from being an inside kid to and active out doors kid would be better for him.

That is unless he really takes to pumping iron.

Just seems to me that kids who are encouraged/forced to get active, get a job or responsibility tend to become better adjusted.

JMHO of course.

Bingo

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't say specifically, but if he's into or going into puberty, it's probably a good time. As he's still growing, one should not try to max out, but strive for improvement in strength/technique and stamina. Socially, it would help greatly if there is some support around as well.

An interest in some of the other active type sports might also help with coordination and endurance as well (racquet ball, tennis, volleyball, swimming, soccer, basketball).

Last edited by 1minute; 12/19/16.

1Minute
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You are very short, and if I'm not mistaken, train very specifically for contest bench pressing. I assume you're suited, and have adapted to the wide grip, arched back = minimal range-of-motion style of benching. That is very highly specialized, and not related whatsoever to what is instructed by Rippetoe.

Nobody is going to out-pace connective tissue adaptation by doing whole body lifts in the manner instructed. Injury results from form compromise, not getting strong.

Originally Posted by benchman
Blissninny spew about muscle growth outpacing connective tissue growth? Tell that to the juicers that tear connective tissue at an alarming rate. The reason is the same as a young teen. The addition of hormone stimulates muscle growth at a FAR faster rate than connective tissue growth can keep up to. We disagree there, but I cannot disagree with The training regime endorsed by Rippetoe. Didn't work for me, as well as what I was doing, but I am very specialized. I'm not a blissninny. I have a great amount of very successful lifting experience.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
14 is plenty old enough in most cases

Agreed

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Vek
You are very short, and if I'm not mistaken, train very specifically for contest bench pressing. I assume you're suited, and have adapted to the wide grip, arched back = minimal range-of-motion style of benching. That is very highly specialized, and not related whatsoever to what is instructed by Rippetoe.

Nobody is going to out-pace connective tissue adaptation by doing whole body lifts in the manner instructed. Injury results from form compromise, not getting strong.

Blissninny spew about muscle growth outpacing connective tissue growth? Tell that to the juicers that tear connective tissue at an alarming rate. The reason is the same as a young teen. The addition of hormone stimulates muscle growth at a FAR faster rate than connective tissue growth can keep up to. We disagree there, but I cannot disagree with The training regime endorsed by Rippetoe. Didn't work for me, as well as what I was doing, but I am very specialized. I'm not a blissninny. I have a great amount of very successful lifting experience.
I gotta tell you, you are wrong. I lift geared and raw. There is a window, right around 13 - 14, I might add, where hormones kick in. At that time, muscle growth can really accelerate. The kids may not have the connective tissue strength to handle it, and tears occur. How many promising football players have carreer ending knee injuries? Rotator tears? I really dont think there are enough very young lifters to get a reliable sample. Pushed hard enough, I think you will see tendon and ligament failures. I DO agree that form compromise results in injury. Although I only compete in bench, I also squat around the raw world record. I just do bench meets though. I do not deadlift, because of a back injury from gymnastics. Not gonna die on this hill, because we do agree on virtually everything else. More than one way to skin a cat, for sure.

Last edited by benchman; 12/19/16.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I started at 13, it never harmed me. I am 62 and still do it.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Somehow I don't think the kid is going to be able to pull off starting strength without some serious coaching which I doubt is available.

Cross country would be a good sport, or even soccer to get his butt off the couch..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Lifting weights" is a very broad term and as indicated by some, if done incorrectly a teenager can easily cause injuries he'll suffer from for the rest of his life.

There are a host of sports that can provide the opportunity to burn off flab and are less likely to cause injury. Not to mention working out in a group tends to be a much more motivating than hitting the weights in the gym or garage by yourself.

Nor sure how it is in Texas, but in our cross country running races whether it's the state champion coming in first, or the pudgy kid coming in 15 minutes later, parents and students from every school are cheering for every runner at every race.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Any time after 0400......grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Got another nephew on my wife's side, 14 yo.

He thinks I'm cool so I got some influence on the kid.

He's a pudgy, non-athletic computer nerd and prob'ly gonna stay like that but for his sake I'd like to get him lifting weights. If he lays on the bone structure now as he grows it will benefit him the rest of his life.

I'm just talking 160 lbs of assorted weights, a bar and a couple of barbels. Local Academy has a complete set for $100.

I'm thinking I was maybe 16 when I got serious about lifting.

Is 14 too early?

Birdwatcher

I started lifting weights when I was 12, but then again I was a wrestler. By the time I was 14, I was benching 300 pounds. If in your shoes, I'd focus on correct technique and endurance training. When in high school, other sports like football and basketball will be no sweat.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
funny thread here , city [bleep] abound , gotta be tougher chit to tackle a Starbucks, good old country kids with duties and chores come out tougher than chit, not always does size mean stout let alone true grit. If Birdphuck is to be a hreo it will have to be on the keyboard protecting the Hill-da-beast

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Took all of a couple pages for a simple question to turn into a dick measuring contest lol. I don't know schit about lifting or fitness except that gyms tend to be full of self-centered [bleep], and lots of guys used to be able to do a lot more than they can now.

That being said, it seems there is a whole lot more material out there now about how to do it healthily than there used to be.

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rboom
The other side of the equation is nutrition. Teach him that good nutrition and hydration will make everything else more effective.

Huge part of the equation! Get him away from that computer screen and into the outdoors, also.

Good post..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
funny thread here , city [bleep] abound , gotta be tougher chit to tackle a Starbucks, good old country kids with duties and chores come out tougher than chit, not always does size mean stout let alone true grit. If Birdphuck is to be a hreo it will have to be on the keyboard protecting the Hill-da-beast

There's not much that compares to bucking hay bales and changing irrigation pipe, but some of these city folk and their kids don't get the opportunity to do this. When they don't get the opportunity to have to work their azzes off like some of us had to do when young, they have to resort to other methods to gain muscle and endurance. I consider myself lucky, having grown up in the desert where I got to ride motorcycles and walk over mountain ranges to stay in shape. I also enjoyed lifting weights and playing sports. It was when I got a little older that I was introduced to bucking hay bales. Let me tell you, that is a blast, as long as you are in shape for it. This goes back to when you are young and start lifting weights. It does help to prepare you for jobs later on in life. I still love physicaly active jobs and will continue to for a long time...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by whelennut
I started at 13, it never harmed me. I am 62 and still do it.

That's cool. Something to be commended for.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

The body's natural testosterone is highest in the AM, and the kid will be ready to hit the rack after dinner. Too tired to get in much trouble. Win/win.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O.K. so you are his uncle and he thinks that you are "cool". So, what do you do next? You "plant seeds". You have to convince him that he wants to better himself. Lead by example. PT with him. Get him wanting to "be like Mike". Unless he wants to do it, he never will. The folks above are assuming that he is motivated to be the next "Arnold". Your hardest job will be to influence him enough that he wants to get fit. Take him hiking, be his mentor, Introduce him to a vigorous life. Once you have convinced him to want to be fit, then you can introduce him to ways to do it.

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

LOL ! ! !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a hard time relating to a 14 year old that just wants to sit in front of a computer.

If I had pulled that sort of stunt when I was that age, my dad would have put me to work doing something, from mucking out ditches with a shovel to stacking 50 lb apple boxes to 6'6, to wrenching on equipment.

The kid needs a way to improve the way he sees himself. He needs a friggin job. He can mow lawns, run errands, walk dogs, scoop dog poop, do minor tree ans shrub trimming, light painting, gutter cleaning, driveway cleaning, you name it.

Lifting weights isn't going to turn him into a stud, accomplishing something on his own will.

Or he can keep being a nerd.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
O.K. so you are his uncle and he thinks that you are "cool". So, what do you do next? You "plant seeds". You have to convince him that he wants to better himself. Lead by example.

Sir, thanks for the suggestions and the spirit in which they were offered, but I'm pretty sure that stuff is how one gets to be considered a cool uncle in the first place.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,222
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.