Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BWalker
I got 250,000 out of my 01. It took a lot of parts to get there.
In my neck of the woods a dodge will rust apart before you put 250,000 thousand on it. Mine had holes through the panels, cab corners were gone, upper wheel wells rotted out,etc.

Try a car wash.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Try living somewhere that averages 170 or more inches of snow per year and get back with me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by coobie
Rams are by far the lowest quality truck sold.
Now thats funny.. laugh My last new 2006 ford was a turd.My new 2002 chevy 5.3 silverado used more oil than gas..All truck/car makers have there issues.

GM and Ford are garbage too, just not as bad as Ram.

So basically you haven't bought a new truck in over a decade and your opinion is that all trucks are junk regardless of make . A little Pessimistic are we?

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/27/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rams are by far the lowest quality truck sold.
Now thats funny.. laugh My last new 2006 ford was a turd.My new 2002 chevy 5.3 silverado used more oil than gas..All truck/car makers have there issues.

So basically you haven't bought a new truck in over a decade and your opinion is that all trucks are junk regardless of make . A little Pessimistic are we?

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k.
Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=BWalker]Rams are by far the lowest quality truck sold.

Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN.. Bet you have a chit load of toyota dealers in the UP.Laffin again..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k. [/quote=BWalker]

Tacoma?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k. [/quote=BWalker]

Tacoma?

Yes. Replaced a Chevy w/ Duramax.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[/quote] Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN.. [/quote]
As mentioned earlier I get my vehicles rust proofed. Going on 5 years with this toyota and it still has a black under carriage. The only thing that stops the rust is an alloy body like a Ford has. The price one pays for living in the UP. Of course it's also not a [bleep] hole like S. MI.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/27/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN.. [/quote]
As mentioned earlier I get my vehicles rust proofed. Going on 5 years with this toyota and it still has a black under carriage. The only thing that stops the rust is an alloy body like a Ford has. The price one pays for living in the UP. Of course it's also not a [bleep] hole like S. MI. [/quote]You seem somewhat angry.The deep snow and cabin fever setting in.LOL..

Last edited by coobie; 12/27/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Tacoma?

Tacomas are great little trucks, I've owned a few. Unfortunately they don't cut it when a guy needs to tow anything.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Tacoma?

Tacomas are great little trucks, I've owned a few. Unfortunately they don't cut it when a guy needs to tow anything.

I sold the business I had that necessitated a 3/4 ton diesel. Tacoma suits my needs for the most part, but I don't tow anything larger than a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded with an elk camp. It pulls that just fine, even through the mountains.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
2500 Dodge diesel with 4 wheel drive is the ticket

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, our 2012 Tundra has 136K+ miles and the only thing we gave done, other than the regular service, has been to buy a set of tires. I did trash the front skid plate a few years ago, and I am finally going to have to replace it next year before hunting season. We bought this truck to replace a 2005 Tacoma Access Cab that we sold with 268K+ on the odometer, mostly because we wanted a truck with a crew cab and a bigger bed.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
14 ram 8 speed 4x4. no problems at all.94.669 going strong

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LouisB
I have had Datsun/Nissans or Tacomas since 1979.

Maybe 4WD, but not needed 99.9% of the time, but DANG HANDY when I do need it.
I'm now in the Ol Farts group so mileage will be low per year.
extended or crew cab.
I have experience with smaller PUs, both Nissan and Toyota and both served me well.

Not adverse to a new Tacoma.

HATE all the electric stuff, want a basic truck with automatic, getting too old ad lazy for standard and new auto exceed standards in my mind for people like me.

I've owned multiple examples of the different domestic half-tons, as work (construction) and personal trucks, and have daily driven/pulled with my 6 speed '02 Dodge 2500 HO CTD for almost 12 years now. Still own it and use it for work, it's a beast and been a pretty decent truck overall. Still, high cost of ownership when any repairs need doing...

I also own a 2016 Tundra. Almost a full year now. It's been great so far. If a guy isn't pulling heavy (8,000+) regularly, and can get by with a half-ton, I'd not consider any other truck but the Tundra. It has too much 'electronic stuff' for my tastes too, but's simpler and more reliable than anything else out there right now. (The only half-ton to break the 50 most reliable vehicles list, IIRC.) I plan to drive this one into the ground... Lots of guys seem to dislike that it hasn't had a major change in a decade... But, that's a big plus in my books. Parts should be easy to come by for many years.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What kind of mileage do you get with the Tundra? Have a 04 Chev Silverado 5.3 Crewcab up here in AK dont drive it much in the winter and only tow 4K 90 k on odometer. No use for a Diesel with our cold and short trips.

Thinking I will replace Chev with a Tundra and just do not like Dodge products!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There is no way the Nissan has the highest resale value. Their values have been in the crapper for years. I think it's too early to tell how well the new Nissan will hold up and retain it's value.

Toyota has the highest resale value but they get horrible gas mileage compared to the rest of the brands - except the Nissan which also gets horrible gas mileage.

I have owned four Fords and currently own one with the Ecoboost. It has close to 400 foot pounds of torque and will haul azz; but it is very comfortable and refined and gets well over 20mpg on the highway. You should at least consider a Ford before you make your choice. I have 112,000 miles on my 2011 and it's been to the shot once. I got 209,000 out of my last Ford before I sold it. It was in the shop once as well. My previous Ford may still be running for all I know, but last time I saw the guy I sold it to he had over 330,000 miles on it. I was a Ford basher in my younger years but after 3 bad GM trucks I took a chance on them and have been happy ever since. Ford is also the only truck that excels in crash ratings - especially cab crush tests. The GM trucks are really bad in this regard.

Have you looked at all the historical problems with the GM trucks? There are several folks on this site that have had them and have complained about the multitudes of problems they have had.

If I had to buy another truck, besides a Ford, it would probably be a Ram or Toyota as I think they are good, solid trucks.

My next truck purchase will occur just before I retire so I will probably buy a Ram diesel.

Last edited by Slidellkid; 12/30/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's true that Toyota get worse mileage than some of the others. It's also true that Nissan have poor resale value and for good reason. The are junk, just like Rams.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The new Rams have a Heino transmission which is a Toyota owned company. The tranny was a major weak link in the older ram diesels. Along with the lift pumps and injection pumps.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
There is no way the Nissan has the highest resale value. Their values have been in the crapper for years. I think it's too early to tell how well the new Nissan will hold up and retain it's value.

Toyota has the highest resale value but they get horrible gas mileage compared to the rest of the brands - except the Nissan which also gets horrible gas mileage.

I have owned four Fords and currently own one with the Ecoboost. It has close to 400 foot pounds of torque and will haul azz; but it is very comfortable and refined and gets well over 20mpg on the highway. You should at least consider a Ford before you make your choice. I have 112,000 miles on my 2011 and it's been to the shot once. I got 209,000 out of my last Ford before I sold it. It was in the shop once as well. My previous Ford may still be running for all I know, but last time I saw the guy I sold it to he had over 330,000 miles on it. I was a Ford basher in my younger years but after 3 bad GM trucks I took a chance on them and have been happy ever since. Ford is also the only truck that excels in crash ratings - especially cab crush tests. The GM trucks are really bad in this regard.

Have you looked at all the historical problems with the GM trucks? There are several folks on this site that have had them and have complained about the multitudes of problems they have had.

If I had to buy another truck, besides a Ford, it would probably be a Ram or Toyota as I think they are good, solid trucks.

My next truck purchase will occur just before I retire so I will probably buy a Ram diesel.

If I had a 2016 ford f150 ecoboost I would not be bragging on it. Mine is in process of being bought back by Ford and it has a measly 6500 miles on it and as of today 59 days in the shop, last time I drove it was November 7 of this year . Luckily they are buying it because the only Truck with worse resale value is a Ram 1500. What a hit i would have taken had i traded it in. First and Last for sure. What experience do you have with the new 2017 TItan?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1Longbow, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.