Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BWalker
The new Rams have a Heino transmission which is a Toyota owned company. The tranny was a major weak link in the older ram diesels. Along with the lift pumps and injection pumps.
H,mm from what I read the new 8 speed ram 1500 transmission are made by ZRfriedrich shafens a subsidiary of Saarbrucken a german company.NOT heino.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kk alaska
What kind of mileage do you get with the Tundra? Have a 04 Chev Silverado 5.3 Crewcab up here in AK dont drive it much in the winter and only tow 4K 90 k on odometer. No use for a Diesel with our cold and short trips.

Thinking I will replace Chev with a Tundra and just do not like Dodge products!

Averaging around 15.5 MPG over the 16,000 klicks it's driven so far. I'm happy with that, given the type of use the truck gets. Almost zero empty, flat highway driving in the mix. Usually pretty loaded down with people and camping/hunting/horse gear for the highway miles. A strong percentage of forestry and mountain road miles, some trails and off-road. So far I really like the Toyota 5.7. It's a strong motor, for a gas pot... smile

My Dad's 2013 GMC just started inexplicably burning thru oil at a rapid pace. It's a nice truck and he was happy with, until this recent development. Now he's thinking hard on trading it in... I think it will depend on what kind of response he gets from GM.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coobie
The new Rams have a Heino transmission which is a Toyota owned company. The tranny was a major weak link in the older ram diesels. Along with the lift pumps and injection pumps.
H,mm from what I read the new 8 speed ram 1500 transmission are made by ZRfriedrich shafens a subsidiary of Saarbrucken a german company.NOT heino.

There are two options for 6-speed autos in the HD Rams: The Ram built 68RFE (which is worlds better than their old trans) and an Aisin which is owned by Toyota.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Correct, the 8 speeds in the half ton trucks are ZF, the two auto transmission available in the Heavy Duty trucks are the 68RFE (Chrysler) and the Aisan, a Japanese transmission optional only in the 3500.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd forgo any tranny Ram produces based on past issues with my 01.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I forgo any toyota product since my 1987 toyota pickup rusted out.Laffin..

Last edited by coobie; 12/31/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=BWalker]I'd forgo any tranny Ram produces based on past issues with my 01.
I forgo any toyota product based on my 1987 toyota pickup rusted out.Laffin..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=BWalker]I'd forgo any tranny Ram produces based on past issues with my 01.
I forgo any toyota product based on my 1987 toyota pickup rusted out.Laffin..

They had [bleep] transmissions well after 01....
You ever get around to comparing resale values? How about we compare incentives and rebates or perhaps seriously cheap lease deals? Hint Toyota does do any of that crap, but the big three has to. Especially GM and Ram.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Btw those early to late 80's toyota trucks are all over the place up here. Bear hunters and off roaders love them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Umm yes. I think we got the picture. I'm now on my 5th Ram, 2nd diesel, and the only transmission "issues" I had on any of them was through my own doing. My last one, the '03 diesel transmissions started slipping after some engine tweaking. Show me any stock transmission that would put down 503hp and 1060 ft/lb of torque to the wheels without protesting. After building the transmission properly, it was good to go for another 220k when I sold it, and is still good with about 287k on the build. Truck now approaching 350k total.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Btw those early to late 80's toyota trucks are all over the place up here. Bear hunters and off roaders love them.
Well I hate to be a bearer of bad news but I am sure you know about the lawsuit for Toyotas $3.5 billion frame ROT issues on there trucks 2007-2008 tundra & 2005-2010 Tacoma trucks.Laffin harder..With that said I owned 1978 toyota land crusier & 1987 4X4 pickup both were decent trucks.No better than my 2004 Ram 5.9 diesel 2500 & my 2016 Ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi.I try not to be a sad sack and dwell on my past truck purchases.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You want to get into recalls? My wife's 09 Acadia has a list of recalls that is many pages long. How about GM side saddles gas tanks incineration people or the latest airbag recall. I coukd go on all day..
Again check the resale..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by badger

Umm yes. I think we got the picture. I'm now on my 5th Ram, 2nd diesel, and the only transmission "issues" I had on any of them was through my own doing. My last one, the '03 diesel transmissions started slipping after some engine tweaking. Show me any stock transmission that would put down 503hp and 1060 ft/lb of torque to the wheels without protesting. After building the transmission properly, it was good to go for another 220k when I sold it, and is still good with about 287k on the build. Truck now approaching 350k total.

My father's 03 diesel toasted a tranny too and it was stone stock and not worked hard. My 91 ate two trannies and it was stone stock. Ram does.not have a good track record with transmissions amongst other things.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You want to get into recalls? My wife's 09 Acadi a has a list of recalls that is many pages long. How about GM side saddles gas tanks incineration people or the latest airbag recall. I coukd go on all day..
Again check the resale..
I thought you were complaining about Ram trucks a few pages back.H,mm now its GM products now thats a different story laugh confused

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

My father's 03 diesel toasted a tranny too and it was stone stock and not worked hard. My 91 ate two trannies and it was stone stock. Ram does.not have a good track record with transmissions amongst other things.
Let us address the Frame ROT issues on the Toyotas. smirk laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The airbag recall - the largest automotive recall in history - was for airbags made by Takata, a Japanese company. This recall affects just about every automotive brand.

Click Here

Takata's use of a cheaper airbag propellant is the root cause of the problem.

Click Here

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You want to get into recalls? My wife's 09 Acadi a has a list of recalls that is many pages long. How about GM side saddles gas tanks incineration people or the latest airbag recall. I coukd go on all day..
Again check the resale..
I thought you were complaining about Ram trucks a few pages back.H,mm now its GM products now thats a different story laugh confused

They are both junk.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Let us address the Frame ROT issues on the Toyotas. smirk laugh

GM trucks had frame issues too almost all the pre 87 trucks you see have frames broken at the steering box.
Ram have the worst corrosion rep of the big three as well..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

ATRA's own stats show the big 3 to be on fairly equal footing regarding transmission reliability............

But, whatever floats your boat. I don't trash Toyota, but its not my choice, as I use my truck to haul with. Tundra and fuel efficiency don't belong in the same sentence, especially with a load on the back.

Last edited by badger; 12/31/16.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by walt501
The airbag recall - the largest automotive recall in history - was for airbags made by Takata, a Japanese company. This recall affects just about every automotive brand.

Click Here

Takata's use of a cheaper airbag propellant is the root cause of the problem.

Click Here

The frame rot. Issues with Toyota were due to a supplier as well. Dana Corp made the frames IIRC.
The Japanese built four runner never had the issue, but the North American made Tacos and Tundras did.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,467
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.