Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
COCKED Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Who is using the spyderco triangle to sharpen their hunting knives? I just ordered one and have never used one before and am wondering if they are a good way to sharpen
knives?

Thanks
Dan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sharpmaker works well for maintaining and touching up an edge as long as the knife bevels match the Spyderco pre-set angles. Seriously dull knives, dinged up blades or reprofiling an edge are a lot of work on the Sharpmaker as it comes straight from Spyderco.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have used my neighbors Spyderco Sharpmaker, and vastly prefer my EdgePro Apex.

Sam......

COCKED Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input guys... Anybody here using the Wicked edge sharpener and if so what do you think about it?

Thanks
Dan

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have been using the Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro for about five months now and I really like it. The low angle adapter upgrade is a must for smaller knives. The system is a costly investment, but the quality of their stones is second to none that I've ever used. The indexing grid ensures that the knife is jigged exactly the same every time, thus eliminating the need for re-profiling. This extends the life expectancy of the blade. I've used this system on some ordinarily hard to sharpen blades without being disappointed. This includes Phil Wilson's S110V, Damasteel, Murray Carter's Super Blue, etc. I've also used it to sharpen blades en excess of 12". This is a very versatile system that is built to exacting tolerances.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There isn't a sharpening system out there that some praise and some cuss.
If you can try out one that someone else owns before buying you won't end up with several different ones as several of us here have.
My preference is the Edge Pro, but do use others sometimes.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Edge Pro for the detailed or involved work but my quick touch ups are done on a Sharpmaker.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The sharp maker is great as long asthe knife is not terribly dull to begin with. I use mine for 90% of the sharpening I do

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tim,

Which Edge Pro model to you use and with which grit stones?

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff
Boise loaned me his for try out and I bought an Edge Pro Apex.

I start the edge bevel with 120grit on my 1x42 belt sander.
Then I use 120 at 24 degrees on the Edge to get the edge looking uniform and rolling a burr.
Then I do 220grit.
Then I do 600grit.
I finish with an impregnated leather strop.
Very sharp while still a little toothy.

Could get a little finer edge, but I am getting what I like.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I might add that I just now touched up the kitchen knives with a Work Sharp. Great for fillets and kitchen knives at 20 degrees.

One thing to do is what ever angle you end up most satisfied with, stay with that. Otherwise you will be removing steel you don't need to with every angle change.

Also stay with the same bevel ie;flat, convex, concave or once again you will be removing steel you don't need to.

Edge Pro is a flat bevel and Work Sharp is convex.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tim,

Any issues with the harder steels, like s30v, and the water stones on the edge pro?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dude270
The sharp maker is great as long asthe knife is not terribly dull to begin with. I use mine for 90% of the sharpening I do

I have a Sharpmaker also and agree with this statement.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Wicked edge works like a charm for me. Hair splitting edges every time.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
J
I have worked with A-2, 440C, 154CM, CPM154, S30V and 52100.
All heat treated in the 59-61 Rc range.
I personally see damned little difference in the difficulty to sharpen any of these and little difference in the edge retention either.
I don't see a lot of difference on the belt sander when doing the profiles and bevels either. Whether mill temper or heat treated.
Some are a little 'chippier' when cutting on band saw or drilling holes.

My experience and opinion is that you need a lab equipment environment to really see the performance differences
(with the geometry, heat treat and sharpening being equal) among the many good steels that I have worked with.

I keep my stones wet.
I use water with a drop of dish soap in it.
I keep the stones clean between blades using a toothbrush and the soapy water.
I change stones when they get worn much past flat.
I buy my stones from Edge Pro for quality reasons.

I like the Edge Pro for the ability to change stones quickly and the feel I have when holding the knife. I do not like the need to protect the blade with tape during sharpening, but the scotch brite belt will clean up the scratch nicely if I do mark up the blade.
I still use bench stones free hand occasionally and a Work Sharp for kitchen and fillet knives.

But that is just me and probably tooooo much info.

Tim

Albert Einstein

COCKED Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for taking your time and giving me some great information guys.

Regards,
Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dude270

Agree 100% with this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TTT

Any other insights?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
TTT

Any other insights?

TTT...???

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with all that Tim has posted above. Yet I've taken of late to using a steel on on kitchen knives and occasionally on my edc. My custom knives only see an impregnated leather strip, on very rare cases the Edge Pro.

Shop knives gets hit with a Norton two sided stone, left very toothy.

I no longer have a microscope to inspect my edges. The microscope showed I was unable to sharpen by hand.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would an Edge Pro be a better option for hunting knives than a Work-Sharp?

I know bubkiss about knife sharpening...

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
I use Edge Pro for the detailed or involved work but my quick touch ups are done on a Sharpmaker.

I do something similar.

Edge Pro for getting a good edge....stones and strop for touch up.....mouse pad and sandpaper for convex grinds...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Would an Edge Pro be a better option for hunting knives than a Work-Sharp?

I know bubkiss about knife sharpening...

I'd say it depends on the knife. Like Tim, I use the EdgePro Apex for most sharpening. I can set the angle I want, not have to use the set angle with the Work Sharp. Different thickness, different metal, different grinds, need different angles.
Now my Scandi grind knives get sharpened on Japanese water stones only, and my convex grind knives only see a strop.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can definitely get your hunting knives sharp with a Work Sharp as with many other processes.

Stones with fixtures will give you a flat cutting edge bevel.
The slightly slack belts of a Work Sharp will give you a slightly convex cutting edge bevel.

Some have strong preference for one or the other. Once you go one way or the other with a specific blade, you will want to stay with that or you will be grinding away metal to re-shape the cutting edge with each change back and forth.

With either final edge, you should be able to touch them up with a treated leather strop for several more uses.

What ever you choose, it will take some practice and personal tweaking to get the most out of that process.

But like some of us, we use bench stones, fixtured stones, slack belts and ..... Just because we are blade nuts.

Sharpening knives can be a one way slippery slope just like making knives has been for many.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 02/18/17.

Albert Einstein

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Tim, I don't think I have sharpened that little S30V blade with the Camel Bone scales you made for me more than once. Year after year, a strop and a ceramic stick keep it sharp as needed. It gets used an awful lot, I wore it yesterday, but it does not get abused.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sam
Well, I like to hear of performance like that.

I just don't seem to get the hang of ceramic sticks.
The magic seems to elude me.
Light or heavy engagement?
Push into the edge or drag away?
I have the same issues with a steel on the kitchen knives.
????
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some good info. Just curious as to steel, hardness, edge thickness, primary bevel, secondary bevel, final grit finish...?

Good example here:

Originally Posted by Chootem_Again
I have been using the Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro for about five months now and I really like it. The low angle adapter upgrade is a must for smaller knives. The system is a costly investment, but the quality of their stones is second to none that I've ever used. The indexing grid ensures that the knife is jigged exactly the same every time, thus eliminating the need for re-profiling. This extends the life expectancy of the blade. I've used this system on some ordinarily hard to sharpen blades without being disappointed. This includes Phil Wilson's S110V, Damasteel, Murray Carter's Super Blue, etc. I've also used it to sharpen blades en excess of 12". This is a very versatile system that is built to exacting tolerances.

and here:

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Tim, I don't think I have sharpened that little S30V blade with the Camel Bone scales you made for me more than once. Year after year, a strop and a ceramic stick keep it sharp as needed. It gets used an awful lot, I wore it yesterday, but it does not get abused.

Great results for the users...disparate methods. Would love to see the details.

Last edited by Journeyman; 02/19/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tim, I use my kitchen steel much like a stone. Cut into the steel holding at the bevel angle, drawing towards you. I can't imagine getting a decent edge banging away at the blade like I see on the TV. A slight bite into the steel with a couple pounds of force until you can feel the edge and then a single light draw on each side to stand up the edge. Much like all hand sharpening techniques, you need to practice. Never have been successful with the ceramic stick.

Sometimes the steel won't work - then it's back to the EdgePro and everything is good for about a year.

I have a scar on my left thumb from talking on the phone while steeling an edge. The call abruptly ended with, "got to go, have a problem"

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have not had much luck in the past with ceramic, diamond impregnated or steels.

I did catch a comment somewhere (maybe here) that if you could find and old "Sheffield" steel, they work.

I found one at a flea market for $2 and it seems to make a difference over the several others I have had a tried to use.
I have only been using it on the kitchen knives (some of which are variants of shop mistakes), and still have to work out the best process, but it has promise.

I was told by my mentor that if you use steels, you need smooth ones for softer blades and a textured surface for the harder hunting styles. You supposedly can freshen them up
with a 120 grit on a belt sander. Still working on that bit of info.

Some time we should keep records for a year on how many self inflicted cuts we get. Winner gets a box of bandaids.

Tim

Knives sharpened on the Edge Pro just get a couple licks on an impregnated leather strop and are back to work for a couple more iterations before back on the fixture.

Albert Einstein

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw...

in the cutting room, a large ceramic steel works great for a little touch up but best for the final run after the stone, to de-tooth the edge cutting hair sharp. But if they aren't clean (really clean) they are no more effective than smooth steel, i.e. to straighten out an edge after using it some. Kept a can of comet cleanser to bring mine back to white--once it is streaked with metal, it needs to be cleaned.

That's a PITA when working and guys tend to break them in the shop. So, it worked best for me to use a smooth (steel) steel to straighten at the table and the ceramic following refreshing the blade on a stone.

The Sheffield steels came with a cutting surface or smooth. Now steels can come combo. The cutting surface would help when your knife needed more than just a little straightening. Generally in the middle of something during the day. Then in the AM, start with a stone.

add: agree with what yer mentor said. I loved the softer carbon blades because it was easier and faster to dress and refresh. But this was throw-away stuff not custom handled finery...:)

Last edited by tomk; 02/20/17. Reason: mentor

Defend the Constitution
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Boise

I have a scar on my left thumb from talking on the phone while steeling an edge. The call abruptly ended with, "got to go, have a problem"

Did that too but the scar is on my left hand index finger. Seen it coming from a mile away.......... shocked

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Sam
Well, I like to hear of performance like that.

I just don't seem to get the hang of ceramic sticks.
The magic seems to elude me.
Light or heavy engagement?
Push into the edge or drag away?
I have the same issues with a steel on the kitchen knives.
????
Tim

very light pressure, just sliding down the stick a few times. That is always my last step when touching up the edge.
I use three strops. One with black compound, one with white, and finish with green compound. Then a few passes one the ceramic stick.
With strops. you have to be careful to not use too much pressure, as I do NOT want to convex the edge on a blade that was not made that way.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Arkansas Medium, the hard, maybe a fine ceramic flat stone then a strop. All by hand. I figure while I might not get it as sharp as maybe I could on a machine, I do enjoy sharpening by hand and watching the hairs pop off my arm or leg when I get done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOOONG post DELETED...

Never mind.

Materials engineering, metallurgy, actual experience, studies, science and FACT can't compete against the bullsh!t from the popular posters...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
Arkansas Medium, the hard, maybe a fine ceramic flat stone then a strop. All by hand. I figure while I might not get it as sharp as maybe I could on a machine, I do enjoy sharpening by hand and watching the hairs pop off my arm or leg when I get done.

Jigs allow anyone to be able to sharpen a knife. They also allow you to be able to hold perfect edge bevels which is great for aesthetic purposes. But after having used a Lansky system for years and having later learned to freehand sharpen, I can't tell any difference in "sharpness" in the real world.

Think about a single bevel edge. Its going to be 90 degrees on one side and say 15 on the other, essentially a right triangle. As long as the planes meet, it can be made as sharp as anything else, but the bevels certainly do not match. A sharp edge is made by bringing two planes together at a microscopic apex and then getting rid of any burrs created as best as you can. The planes do not have to match with geometrical precision. Making the planes meet and getting rid of the burrs is much more important to actual performance.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOOONG post DELETED...

Never mind.

Materials engineering, metallurgy, actual experience, studies, science and FACT can't compete against the bullsh!t from the popular posters...

Would have liked to have read that long post. Always want to learn and appreciate comments from everyone.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
LOOONG post DELETED...

Never mind.

thank goodness we have a few experts to counter balance the BS. Just saying.............. lol

Sam......

T
T
I use a Gatco sharpening system! I have had this system for over 20 plus years. Once you get the edge on a knife worked into where you want it, just a quick couple of swipes and you are back to a hair shaving blade. I have taken knifes that were "sharp" according to the owner and made them shaving sharp. There is a patch on my left arm where I test the edge. During hunting season, it is perpetually bare. In camp you will always see me around the fire sharpening someones knifes. That Gatco system has worked well for so long and appears to have another 20 years before needing new stones!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
FYI
There is an Edge Pro for sale in the classifieds.

Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.