Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have two Model 70 Classic Compacts, both have G prefix serial number but one is 6 digits beginning in 350 and the other 7 digits beginning in 300. Why the difference? Any suggestions? I know the 300 was an 05 because I called. I hate pestering Wnchester so I figured someone here would have a clue, Thanks

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks pre64,

I have seen that and others and it makes no sense. The Winchester site goes to 91/92. But all the numbrs after 1971 are G + 7 digits. The G serial numbers that are 6 digits start with a 9 and the Classics are CRF so they cant date to the 70's. I thought the CRFs restarted in the early 90's, 91, 92. The person in charge of serial numbers seems to have lacked sobriety or or just liked messing with folks. I suppose I need to call and hold for the next available representative......

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Push feeds continued the same serial progression from 1968 till 2006.

When Classic's started in '91 they started at G1 or G1000 somewhere around there. They continued their progression until beginning of 2003 when something big happened. Don't know what but one of the things that changed was Classic's went from around G380000 to seven digits overnight. Just so happens that is the exact same time quality fell off the ledge.

Pre '64's/'68's didn't have a G.

Five digit Classic's went till about late '94, six digits through 2002. These are the most sought after post '64.

Hope this helps.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win

Absolutely worthless, as it doesn't even cover the classics... The last serial numbers listed in the Winchester DOM documents goes to 1992, and that is "G2037985". As you can see, that is a 7 digit serial #. The classics started with a 5 digit serial # in 1992. 6 digits were built from about 94-99, 7 digits were 2000-2006 etc. etc.... Now the new ones (BACO) started with 35AMP....(2008 models). You'd have to check with BACO to see what they were after 2009... Here's what Winchester has on their website concerning model 70 rifle serial numbers after 1992: "To obtain date of manufacture on a Model 70 made after 1992 please contact the Winchester Customer Service Department at 800-333-3288."

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Absolutely worthless, as it doesn't even cover the classics...

Thanks BSA. I only ever reference it up to 1963, but figured since the list kept going the post-63 years were a worthy reference as well.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Considerably late on this Thread. But worth an answer. The "G" series prefix was part of a new serialization scheme as Winchester adapted to mandates of the Gun Control Act of 1968. Now, "G", integral in the serial number indicated specifically the Model 70. Other Winchester models had their own differing alfa prefixes.
From that point forward, Winchester produced such serialized rifles, Yet for reasons unclear, the firm set aside some entire serial number blocks. Thus 'holes' in the serial production. No one to lose sleep over it.
In the early eighties Olin Corporation, Winchester's parent firm, licensed production to U.S. Repeating Arms who undertook future Winchester production and initiated new models in the process. Eventually, USRA decided to utilize those serial blocks formerly reserved. Thus the apparent out of sequence numbering created. Such both confusing and erroneous when trying to apply sequential/chronological logic to the result. Then add the final point. USRA has never released their serialization-production date information.
Nowadays, the best evidence of USRA model production data generalizations are such as catalog information and individual new purchase recounts.
The bottom line here, if your Winchester serial number to published data a 'tilt', recall that if it's a USRA gun, you're in good company. And now you know the rationale if not the answer!
My take

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iskra
Considerably late on this Thread. But worth an answer. The "G" series prefix was part of a new serialization scheme as Winchester adapted to mandates of the Gun Control Act of 1968. Now, "G", integral in the serial number indicated specifically the Model 70. Other Winchester models had their own differing alfa prefixes.
From that point forward, Winchester produced such serialized rifles, Yet for reasons unclear, the firm set aside some entire serial number blocks. Thus 'holes' in the serial production. No one to lose sleep over it.
In the early eighties Olin Corporation, Winchester's parent firm, licensed production to U.S. Repeating Arms who undertook future Winchester production and initiated new models in the process. Eventually, USRA decided to utilize those serial blocks formerly reserved. Thus the apparent out of sequence numbering created. Such both confusing and erroneous when trying to apply sequential/chronological logic to the result. Then add the final point. USRA has never released their serialization-production date information.
Nowadays, the best evidence of USRA model production data generalizations are such as catalog information and individual new purchase recounts.
The bottom line here, if your Winchester serial number to published data a 'tilt', recall that if it's a USRA gun, you're in good company. And now you know the rationale if not the answer!
My take

Other than the parts about the "G", and USRA taking over production in the early 80's, this is incorrect.

I can tell you within a year pretty much exactly when ANY Model 70 was made in New Haven CT.

There were no set aside numbers. They ran from the VERY beginning (1936), add "G" in 1968, through the VERY end (2006). EXCEPT 1991-2002 Classics.

Because "G" was NOT USED until 1968, the Classic series started at G1 in 1991, through about G380000 in 2002. These are the most sought after Classics.

In 2003, among many changes that year (mostly bad) the Classic series suddenly merged into the push feed (original) 7 digit run and remained there until the end.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly. I read that post and scratched my head?

Also, I've never had an issue calling BACO customer service and getting a date when any USRAC M70 left the NH plant (which is as close to mfg. date as they have).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by pre64win

Absolutely worthless, as it doesn't even cover the classics... The last serial numbers listed in the Winchester DOM documents goes to 1992, and that is "G2037985". As you can see, that is a 7 digit serial #. The classics started with a 5 digit serial # in 1992. 6 digits were built from about 94-99, 7 digits were 2000-2006 etc. etc.... Now the new ones (BACO) started with 35AMP....(2008 models). You'd have to check with BACO to see what they were after 2009... Here's what Winchester has on their website concerning model 70 rifle serial numbers after 1992: "To obtain date of manufacture on a Model 70 made after 1992 please contact the Winchester Customer Service Department at 800-333-3288."

It is hard to find correct answers on the internet and as stated above you have to go to the source for a definitive answer. As to the G series 5 digit numbers, they did not begin in 1992. I have a couple of G series 5 digit serial numbered Model 70 Classics, that according to the Winchester Customer Service Department, are first year production models from 1990. The person I spoke with had to go to several different sources on the numbers I gave to find the answer. I also asked about any published data for referencing the DOM for the Model 70 Classic and was told it was all internal reference material. Lastly, I have G series 5 digit models that were built in 1994 and 6 digits from 1996. There are voids in Winchester Classic serial numbers and they are not sequentially numbered. Basically do not rely on what you read on any forum or from any source, except the information you receive back from the manufacture.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lynntelk
The person I spoke with had to go to several different sources on the numbers I gave to find the answer.
A completely competent and reliable "person" in modern world customer service looking up dates of manufacture for rifles made by a different company 25 years ago, I'm sure.

There are voids in Winchester Classic serial numbers and they are not sequentially numbered. WRONG

Last edited by winchester70; 01/31/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by winchester70
The person I spoke with had to go to several different sources on the numbers I gave to find the answer.
A completely competent and reliable "person" in modern world customer service looking up dates of manufacture for rifles made by a different company 25 years ago, I'm sure.

There are voids in Winchester Classic serial numbers and they are not sequentially numbered. WRONG

To my knowledge the Winchester Customer Service was/is the only place to get answers to the DOM of the Classic Model 70. If you have a better source, I and I'm sure others, would be interested in this information. Based on the information I was given, the 25 years ago statement just turned into 27 years as the customer rep stated first year production began in 1990. When the person I was talking with was looking up the DOM information for the serial numbers I requested, he stated they had some DOM information in a "book" the other numbers he was able to access on his computer. I believe the early DOM dates he accessed were from the "book". The 1994 and later numbers I believe he accessed from his computer. It would seem to be an easy fix if they would enter all serial number and DOM into a single data base, but evidently, this is not the case. This same individual mentioned the "voids" in the numbering.

Last edited by lynntelk; 01/31/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

To my knowledge the Winchester Customer Service was/is the only place to get answers to the DOM of the Classic Model 70. If you have a better source, I and I'm sure others, would be interested in this information. Based on the information I was given, the 25 years ago statement just turned into 27 years as the customer rep stated first year production began in 1990. When the person I was talking with was looking up the DOM information for the serial numbers I requested, he stated they had some DOM information in a "book" the other numbers he was able to access on his computer. I believe the early DOM dates he accessed were from the "book". The 1994 and later numbers I believe he accessed from his computer. It would seem to be an easy fix if they would enter all serial number and DOM into a single data base, but evidently, this is not the case. This same individual mentioned the "voids" in the numbering.

I'm sure they try to make callers happy by giving them some "information" and a date. But I question their knowledge on the subject. I believe the truth is, if the information existed it would be published somewhere by now.

My information comes from what I've held in my hands and seen with my eyes for the last 35 years, and there have been many more than I could ever count, combined with earlier known and published information.

There may have been some gray area with the Classics before G15000, with the early custom shop only/later custom shop CRF. But other than that, the progressions listed in my post above are real.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I'm sure they try to make callers happy by giving them some "information" and a date. But I question their knowledge on the subject. I believe the truth is, if the information existed it would be published somewhere by now.

My information comes from what I've held in my hands and seen with my eyes for the last 35 years, and there have been many more than I could ever count, combined with earlier known and published information.

There may have been some gray area with the Classics before G15000, with the early custom shop only/later custom shop CRF. But other than that, the progressions listed in my post above are real.

Fair enough, let me tell you what I know and remember. None of the rifles I have mentioned are from the custom shop or special order to my knowledge. I am the original owner of the G16xxx rifle. I purchased this rifle as a standard caliber model featherweight in the early 90's. After purchasing the rifle I saw a Winchester featherweight ad in Rifle, Handloader or maybe American Rifleman magazine. If I remember correctly the ad rifle was a 30-06. The serial # looked familiar. Turns out my rifle was only a couple digits off the ad rifle. I have searched but have not been able to locate the ad, just to reference. Someone better that me at searching may be able to locate the ad.
Now the muddy waters. The G10xxx was purchased as a standard model 70 SM (synthetic matte). As previously mentioned the Winchester Customer Service stated the rifle was a 1990 first year production run. The reference material I have found states the SM was only offered in 1995-1996. WTF. Remember the customer rep said there were voids in the numbering. Did they go back and fill in voids in the numbering of the rifles? If not why would a first year production numbered gun show up as a offering 5-6 years later? To say it's convoluted would be a gross understatement. I would like to believe the service rep did have a reference "book" as I was told. I do not believe they put you on hold, read the prepared statement from their book then comeback as tell you some "Bravo Sierra" just to make you happy.
Seems to me if someone would want to spend the time and effort, you have the makings for a future reference book for the next generation.

Last edited by lynntelk; 02/01/17.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Funny stuff...

Winchester not only doesn't have records for the old pre 64's, but there is questionable reliability for the recent.

How soon will it be till there are counterfeit post 64's? grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It has to be a conspiracy, right? lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A G10000 Classic SM would certainly be an exception. My catalogs show it made 94-96. Had to have been a custom shop receiver that didn't meet specs, and was put in the general population?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (406_SBC, 14idaho, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 13 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.