Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
TTSX can make a mess, too. Double hands full of clot and blasted tissue scooped out of this hole. A re-run on this photo, you've seen it before.

WT doe, .240 Wby. 3,600 fps, 80 gr. TTSX at around a hundred yds. or so.

But, it's hard to talk about bullet failure at the skinning shed... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GHC...... friends of mine were slapping bulls and cows absolutely silly with 160 gr Accubonds and 150 gr SS II's this year in Wyoming high country ; the two 6x6 bulls at 385 and 465 yards (not that distance is really all that important but it seems to be the first thing anybody mentions today when they kill something) were both DRT and I mean "right now". shocked

Im sure if you told them how terrible the AB works....or that nothing but a Berger will give you 500 yard DRT's on bull elk, they'd laff in your face.....hell I'd laugh in your face and I used Partitions to do it. grin

I am no huge AB fan but you have to ask...if they suck so bad how do they do that?

My pals do get outside more than a little,and they do shoot....one is a special forces combat Marine with multiple Afghan tours. My goodness........ how we love to jump to conclusions about people and bullets around here. Like they don't get outside or shoot if they aren't using Bergers.......please. We're smarter than that I thought. smirk

If you think you can draw any "conclusions"about bullets from a handful of animals, you're mistaken......takes a whole bunch more than that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GregW

I shot a mule deer twice last year broadside behind the shoulder, perfect hit, and then a follow-up through the neck as he was still on his feet and all I had to shoot at.

Neither exited at 525 yards from a .280 Ackley....

I gave them two years of shooting stuff, not once did they impress me in any way.

Bullets are funny things, all bullets seem to do wonky stuff at some point but we all have to follow what we've seen and done...

Greg what AB? 140? What did it do the first shot? If it started out about 3100 fps from a 280 AI it might have just run out of poop for good results at 500 plus yards. (?)

Here's a 140 AB (left) recovered from a mule deer buck that hog dressed #230 pounds,into the the shoulder at 200 yds, The chest was pulped; he went maybe 30 feet. 7 Rem Mag at 3250 fps. Recovered weight is 59 gr.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/10/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH

My pals do get outside more than a little,and they do shoot....one is a special forces combat Marine with multiple Afghan tours. My goodness........ how we love to jump to conclusions about people and bullets around here. Like they don't get outside or shoot if they aren't using Bergers.......please. We're smarter than that I thought. smirk

If you think you can draw any "conclusions"about bullets from a handful of animals, you're mistaken......takes a whole bunch more than that.

Jeez... You respond to one guy who's obviously never shot a Berger into a critter and people think you're insulting them, their friend, and the military.

I never got to the "whole bunch of animals" stage with accubonds because the first few I saw/heard of from people I trust sucked so bad. I personally don't know anyone who still uses them.

Pass me the "burgers"....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I shot a mule deer twice last year broadside behind the shoulder, perfect hit, and then a follow-up through the neck as he was still on his feet and all I had to shoot at.

Neither exited at 525 yards from a .280 Ackley....

I gave them two years of shooting stuff, not once did they impress me in any way.

Bullets are funny things, all bullets seem to do wonky stuff at some point but we all have to follow what we've seen and done...

Greg what AB? 140? What did it do the first shot? If it started out about 3100 fps from a 280 AI it might have just run out of poop for good results at 500 plus yards. (?)

Here's a 140 AB (left) recovered from a mule deer buck that hog dressed #230 pounds,into the the shoulder at 200 yds, The chest was pulped; he went maybe 30 feet. 7 Rem Mag at 3250 fps. Recovered weight is 59 gr.

[Linked Image]

140, 3150 or so putting impact if I recall correctly above 2100...

First shot my spotter called me rippling him perfect. Buck took it like a man and walked 30 or so yards behind a Palo Verde. Got back on him and sent one through his neck. He death dashed about 30 yards then died...

If that's running out of juice impact speed then they are worse than I thought. Not to mention the wound channel looked like a Barnes (sucked)....

This is not the only occasion I've seen this stuff....

For stuff where I want an exit all day long, pass me an ETIP....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

This is so true, and can have you scratching your head. I've killed (along with my hunting buds) big mule deer bucks and aoudad from 30 yds to 458 yds. Dead animals were the result, and bullet performance was excellent on the one's recovered. This from 7mmRemMag, 7mm STW, 7mm08.

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/10/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Starsky Im just trying to reconcile the disparity in performance. Some love them and some hate them. I'm no huge fan but have to admit that my friends know what they're talking about and seem to like them.

I know you weren't insulting the military.....just making a point about folks getting "outside" smile

Guys on here have killed hundreds of head of game and some seem very happy with the Accubonds. Even taken them to Africa where they have done well.

My suspicion is that we're talking too small a sampling among the critics.

Greg: "Run out of poop" is a poor term for me to use.....what I mean is that at 2100 fps bullets don't expand as fully and violently as they do at closer distances where MV is higher. We've all seen this many times,and it's true of all bullets.

Be interesting to know how long he would have lasted if you'd been unable to shoot a second time....my suspicion is not long.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/10/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I can't blame a guy for not wanting to use a bullet that's done wonky stuff only a time or two for him. That's all it takes to sour me on any product, no matter what others have seen.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mule deer
To reply to you.
You are correct in one thing....I have NOT shot anything with them.

I HAVE been with 21 hunters so far that have shot deer, antelope and elk with them, and I have talked 4 others that have told me there stories, 3 from just this season.
100% failure of the bullets 100% of the time, in real world experience. So there is no need to be insulting.
I am a gunsmith and a hunter and a former guide. I do not "test' bullets anymore in the lab. I only report what I have seen, and I have see this 21 time with my own eyes.

How many more times do you think I should give them?

I am also the former CEO of Cast Performance Bullet Company and when I was at the helm of that company (and also when I was their foreman for years before) I not only tested what we made, but I tested everything I could get from all our competitors too, so I could speak with some authority on the subject. We specialized mostly in high performance handgun bullets, but we tested rifles bullets too, and not just a few. These tests went on for about 7 years.

No one is giving me products to endorse, and no one is paying me for 'testing' so I report what I actually see. No one is going to withhold payment from me if I tell what I have seen either.

Some of this may be a matter of definitions.

Some men may disagree with my definitions. I am OK with that.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I could not care less what you or anyone else uses to kill game. I was amused in fact, when that guy in Canada used a spear. Good for him!

But I define any bullet that sheds its core as a failure if it does so in less then 18" of penetration. I define any bullet that sheds its core that is marketed as a suitable projectile for any game that can be dangerous to be a super failure.

I define any bullet, marketed for game over 50 pounds, that weight less than 30% of it's unfired weight after it stops as a failure.

These are bullet failures, not killing failures. Not even necessarily hunting failures. I am not here to insult anyone.

To say that 16 oz is a pound is a fact.

To say that a cord of wood is a stack 4'X4'X8' is a fact.

If someone comes up with a container of dirt that weight 12 oz and I say it's NOT a pound, or someone tried to sell a firewood stack of 4' X 3" X 7' it's not an insult to say it's fire wood, but it's NOT a cord of fire wood.

If I say that bullets that fragment and weight 30% or less of their unfired weight are not "good" hunting bullets someone may take issue with what I consider "good." I am OK with that.

But when I compare their performance to what I have seen over 52 years of hunting and guiding from good hunting bullets, it's going to be very hard to convince me that they are "good".

If you, and even the majority of the hunters out there think that a bullet fragmenting down to 20% of it's unfired weight is not a failure, it's OK with me. I am not demanding you stop using them.

I just won't use them.

Funny thing though, of all the 21 kills I have seen on REAL animals, none of those shooters will use then again either.

Last edited by szihn; 01/11/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good, don't use them.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bob, you should shoot some critters with VLDs impacting at 2100 and below sometime. Wound channels are still suberb...

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by szihn
Mule deer
To reply to you.
You are correct in one thing....I have NOT shot anything with them.

I HAVE been with 21 hunters so far that have shot deer, antelope and elk with them, and I have talked 4 others that have told me there stories, 3 from just this season.
100% failure of the bullets 100% of the time, in real world experience. So there is no need to be insulting.
I am a gunsmith and a hunter and a former guide. I do not "test' bullets anymore in the lab. I only report what I have seen, and I have see this 21 time with my own eyes.

How many more times do you think I should give them?

I am also the former CEO of Cast Performance Bullet Company and when I was at the helm of that company (and also when I was their foreman for years before) I not only tested what we made, but I tested everything I could get from all our competitors too, so I could speak with some authority on the subject. We specialized mostly in high performance handgun bullets, but we tested rifles bullets too, and not just a few. These tests went on for about 7 years.

No one is giving me products to endorse, and no one is paying me for 'testing' so I report what I actually see. No one is going to withhold payment from me if I tell what I have seen either.

Some of this may be a matter of definitions.

Some men may disagree with my definitions. I am OK with that.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I could not care less what you or anyone else uses to kill game. I was amused in fact, when that guy in Canada used a spear. Good for him!

But I define any bullet that sheds its core as a failure if it does so in less then 18" of penetration. I define any bullet that sheds its core that is marketed as a suitable projectile for any game that can be dangerous to be a super failure.

I define any bullet, marketed for game over 50 pounds, that weight less than 30% of it's unfired weight after it stops as a failure.

These are bullet failures, not killing failures. Not even necessarily hunting failures. I am not here to insult anyone.

To say that 16 oz is a pound is a fact.

To say that a cord of wood is a stack 4'X4'X8' is a fact.

If someone comes up with a container of dirt that weight 12 oz and I say it's NOT a pound, or someone tried to sell a firewood stack of 4' X 3" X 7' it's not an insult to say it's fire wood, but it's NOT a cord of fire wood.

If I say that bullets that fragment and weight 30% or less of their unfired weight are not "good" hunting bullets someone may take issue with what I consider "good." I am OK with that.

But when I compare their performance to what I have seen over 52 years of hunting and guiding from good hunting bullets, it's going to be very hard to convince me that they are "good".

If you, and even the majority of the hunters out there think that a bullet fragmenting down to 20% of it's unfired weight is not a failure, it's OK with me. I am not demanding you stop using them.

I just won't use them.

Funny thing though, of all the 21 kills I have seen on REAL animals, none of those shooters will use then again either.

21 for 21 failures, huh? You're on a roll....

The bullet is doing what is was designed to do as you just described.

Call it what you want and use what you want, but it's not failing...

- Greg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob, you should shoot some critters with VLDs impacting at 2100 and below sometime. Wound channels are still suberb...

I figured that was their strong suit.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/11/17.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I figured that was their strong suit.

They've got a few strong points...

- Greg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
All bullets do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
szihn,

Thanks for the clarification. Am not surprised that there are plenty of hunters around that don't define hunting bullets by how well they kill animals, but how they look afterward.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And weaknesses....

- Greg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. Which is why I try to merely report on what happens with various bullets, not make judgments about which one is "best."

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Although I'd love to hear positives from a cor-lok...grin

- Greg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
szihn,

Where did I insult you? Yes, I said you didn't know what you were talking about, but that's because you not only didn't spell Berger correctly, but didn't know how they started selling hunting bullets.

Am certainly impressed with your experience with Cast Performance, but I have also been hunting over 50 years and done considerably guiding, and have seen far more animals taken with Bergers than you have. Like you, at first I thought they "failed," though not because they didn't kill well. It took a while to rearrange my preconceptions, but a lot of quickly dead game animals finally did the trick.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (11point, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.