Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So, my wife has been itching to get back to Africa to hunt. Something has changed since our last trip, though. She has Multiple Sclerosis diagnosed 1.5 years ago.

She is doing fairly well, but has limitations. She cannot walk up and down hills much at all. She can walk on flat ground well enough and far enough to do OK.

She has been thinking about getting a crossbow so that she can hunt the waterholes in hides part of the trip to limit her from overdoing it.

So, we've been looking at crossbows.
She is a small woman. 5'3 and 130 pounds or less.
She cannot cock any crossbows we had looked at on her on and that is disconcerting.

But, today We looked at a Ravin Crossbow for the first time. I had never heard of them before. She was able to easily cock this one, but she winced at the $1500 price tag. I wouldn't pay that for one for me, but I have no problem buying it for her.

Does anyone on here have any knowledge of Ravin Crossbows.

Here's the website for them.... Ravin Crossbows

thanks in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If I were going to spend that much the Ravins look like they might be one to consider. This video is impressive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just make sure when she holds the front forearm of the stock her thumb is gripping the stock and not sticking up. My wife has sliced her thumbnail off not gripping it firmly. That string is moving wicked fast. That's the only thing I had a struggle with her using a crossbow.

People don't realize that string is comming past their hands very close! Much like the slide of an auto pistol if your two hand grip is too high that slide will slice you!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good advice, JJ, it does come with a guard, but at the archery shop we must have mentioned it to her 20 times anyway.
I like the way she has 8 regular fingers and 2 opposable thumbs, lol, and feel she should keep all 10.

the main things to consider:
1. She just cannot operate (cock) any of the other crossbows by herself. This is fine in Africa because I'll be sitting with her, but not for whitetail hunting in Mississippi.... unless I sit with her.

2. The Price. She literally feels guilt when money is spent on her. I'm trying to decide between 2 different 375 rifles, she wants me to get the one that is about $500 more because she feels it's the one I want, but she can't let me do that for her crossbow.

3. Price/use. After Africa, she will use the bow, on average, 6 days a year during bow season. Six. She is a teacher and will only get to hunt on Saturdays.

The 10-point Crossbows also have a cocker that doesn't require strength but she said (and I agree) that it is too complicated. That Ravin is simple to understand and learn to use and you can't break it by overcranking it the way that you can the 10-Point.

When she shot it at 20 yrds, (the limit of their indoor range)she could literally hit a dime each shot.

Good advice, JJ, it does come with a guard, but at the archery shop we must have mentioned it to her 20 times anyway.
I like the way she has 8 regular fingers and 2 opposable thumbs, lol, and feel she should keep all 10.

the main things to consider:
1. She just cannot operate (cock) any of the other crossbows by herself. This is fine in Africa because I'll be sitting with her, but not for whitetail hunting in Mississippi.... unless I sit with her.

2. The Price. She literally feels guilt when money is spent on her. I'm trying to decide between 2 different 375 rifles, she wants me to get the one that is about $500 more because she feels it's the one I want, but she can't let me do that for her crossbow.

3. Price/use. After Africa, she will use the bow, on average, 6 days a year during bow season. Six. She is a teacher and will only get to hunt on Saturdays.

The 10-point Crossbows also have a cocker that doesn't require strength but she said (and I agree) that it is too complicated. That Ravin is simple to understand and learn to use and you can't break it by overcranking it the way that you can the 10-Point.

When she shot it at 20 yrds, (the limit of their indoor range)she could literally hit a dime each shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F72MBb6Ous

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not sure if they're still available but Parker did make a Xbow that was cocked/uncocked via use of a paintball compressed air cylinger. I saw one in a gunshop a few years ago. Press a button and it cocks itself. Press another button and it slowly decocks. Wasn't cheap - if I recall it was in the $1,000-%1,500 range.

Might be just the thing for your wife if they're still available.

Last edited by Labman95; 01/12/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey Labman, that bow looks awesome.
But, a couple of problems.
1. It weighs 11 pounds. My wife could never handle that. She's little anyway and her MS has robbed her of muscle strength.

2. I wonder if one can fly with the CO2 canisters?

But, good gracious, that is an awesome setup.

edit to add:
I checked TSA and the compressed gas cylinder is not allowed.

Last edited by rphguy; 01/13/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by kellory; 01/13/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Labman95
Not sure if they're still available but Parker did make a Xbow that was cocked/uncocked via use of a paintball compressed air cylinger. I saw one in a gunshop a few years ago. Press a button and it cocks itself. Press another button and it slowly decocks. Wasn't cheap - if I recall it was in the $1,000-%1,500 range.

Might be just the thing for your wife if they're still available.

The Parkers - with the gas - were plagued with problems, while a good concept, execution was pretty bad. Worst problems were keeping gas in the systems, the seals were not well done. Leaks were next to impossible to stop.

I watched several come in and out of the local archery shop, he was less kind with his assessment of the model than I was.

In the conventional line, Parkers are good x-bows from what I've handled and shot in the local store.

Any of the crossbows in that price range are going to stack bolts at 30 yards, most of the crossbows several hundred less are going to do the same with a good scope.

If the limitation is the cocking device, go with what works best for her. Pretty sure you have surprised her with flowers more than once in her life, doing it with a crossbow shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/13/17. Reason: Conventional Parkers are good v-bows
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no experience at all with Parkers, and i never heard of Ravin.
Whatever you choose, remember everything breaks sooner or later, and repair parts and service must factor into the equation.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She will have to be with a PH in RSA

He can cock it for her no problem.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me put this in perspective.

If/when she gets to the point that she can no longer hunt, would you rather have the $1500 in the bank or the memories of the hunts she was able to do with the crossbow??

Life is short, enjoy it while you can!!

Cancer Sucks
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I never thought the tenpoint system was complicated, how is the ravin easier? You can even used a cordless screwdriver on the tenpoint system if cranking becomes a problem. Cabelas has one of the tenpoints with the accudraw for 799, I believe.

That said, if this is what she wants, buy it. You will not regret buying her choice.

Last edited by vabowhntr; 01/14/17.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
JJ, yes, we are going to hunt together in Africa anyway, so I can cock it no problem. But, she wants to deer hunt here in Mississippi too. She's actually been wanting a crossbow for a couple of years, but last year my elk hunt took up and work commitments took up most of the bow season, so we just waited until now.

She's admitting now that she likes the Ravin.... a lot... a few more weeks and she might feel ok spending the money. lol.

Last edited by rphguy; 01/14/17.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Let me put this in perspective.

If/when she gets to the point that she can no longer hunt, would you rather have the $1500 in the bank or the memories of the hunts she was able to do with the crossbow??

Life is short, enjoy it while you can!!

thanks. that is exactly my theory about it.
My wife has always had trouble spending money on herself.
It doesn't matter what I want, it's never too expensive, but when looking at something for herself, she gets apprehensive.

I am going to wait her out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
My only comment is 1500 is chump change if its to keep your wife or you hunting and its what you want....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
even better than that.
\
It will be the beginning of archery hunting for her!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You've found the bow she wants. She might not say so or admit it, but that's the one. Buy it, wrap it up and give it to her for some occasion. (make one up) You won't regret doing the very best for her that you can.
My wife suffered from MS for 30 years. I lost her the end of October. Though I'm told I did right by her, there hasn't been a day gone by that I wished I had done more. Make as many memories as you can and don't cut corners. In the end, it's all we'll be left with.

Her first, last, and only, buck.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know anything about them, except that they exist, but have ypu looked at those airbows? Might not be legal in Africa, but worth looking into.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Pappy, you can't take air cylinders on airlines, as far as I know.
I know this from looking at that Parker bow that cocks itself with compressed air.

but, I think almost anything is legal to hunt with in africa except certain kinds of actions on rifles and anything that looks military.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps not a charged air cylinder, but they may have a hand or battery style pump to charge one once you land.
I know a man who used an adapter in place of one of his sparkplugs to fill a leaking tire. (Homemade, but worked well).
See what pressure the crossbow requires, and see if an existing pump is available. If not, adapt as needed.
If it uses the sealed single use type, perhaps it could be modified To accept a Schrader valve.
(I know there used to be an adapter available for paintball guns, where a leg or back bottle, could take the place of a throwaway C02 charge.)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.