Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's an article waiting to be written.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a zillion articles waiting to be written!

For some reason many people think it's tough for a writer to come up with ideas. I've never had that problem. Instead the problem is too damn many possible subjects, and the time required to do justice to each.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I should have put a smiley. grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That works!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Other than the RUM box did you have to do anything else to make sure the fatter 26 Nosler round would feed well?

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Not John, obviously, but here's my set up. A Z3 4-12x50 BT with turret marked with Sharpie for yardage. It's a duplex and works well.

I got this smoke damaged 7RM BDL for cheap. I was able to use the factory stock, pillared, glassed and free floated it, added a Timney 510. I added a RUM box, made sure the box didn't bind.

Even though the 26 Nosler is a 3.4" round, I like the full 3.6" mag. Gives more room for longer COAL's.

Lot of performance on the cheap... smile

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes.

The fat Nosler round wouldn't pass between the rails, had to open them up.

JB said he had a 700 that would pass the Nosler round. My .375 H&H M-70 Classic will pass the Nosler round.

So, I guess it depends on the action. Cutting the rails back a bit isn't that big a deal, may need some tweaking for smooth feed.

DF

Thanks I'm not sure I want to modify my gun, I'll have to see how well it feeds a fatter round.

Gerry.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can imagine the overhead involved in such an article. You'd have to assemble a collection of chrome moly and stainless barrels, with examples of each in button rifled and cut rifled form, with examples of each of those in plain, chromed, and melonited.

Then you'd need the quantity of bullets, powder, brass, primers and time to burn them all up.

This could eat up a few range trips.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

The only way it would be practical is to melonite a new barrel on a prairie dog rifle, then try to shoot it out. Should have melonited the new barrel I put on my .204 a couple-three years ago, then used the bore-scope to observe any changes. Have a pretty good idea of how long it takes to erode a .204 barrel.

Some articles are the result of several years of shooting. Ran a scope "review" last year after using the same scope on my .204 for six years. But even that wouldn't have worked if that model had been dropped by the company in the interim, which happens quite often in that much time these days.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 26 with chrome lined barrel I'm cranking up now. Will the chrome lining provide for ease of cleaning or is there any different cleaning procedures?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wasn't planning to go back to 7RM, so had no problem with working on the action.

I'd not want to bet against it working again as a 7RM. I don't think these alterations would ruin it for 7RM, .300WM, etc...

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
FN SPR sniper rifles have chrome lined barrels, and I have never heard anyone complain about their accuracy. Got the info below from Sniper Central 2014 review of an FNH SPR A3.

"One interesting feature that is not found on most other precision rifles is that the bore is chrome-lined. It is generally accepted that chrome-lining a barrel, unless done correctly, can negatively affect the accuracy of the barrel. FN claims that they have the process mastered, and the .5 MOA requirement seems to confirm that they have, and that the positive effects of a superior barrel life and the ease of maintenance outweigh the difficulty and costs of doing the chrome lining. The FBI required a 10,000 round barrel life without losing the .5 MOA accuracy requirement and the FN was able to pass those tests as well. An older out of production SPR A4 rifle we had on hand here does not have the chrome lined barrel, but checking the current FN catalog shows that all of their current lineup of SPR rifles have the chrome lined bores."

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by spence1875
FN SPR sniper rifles have chrome lined barrels, and I have never heard anyone complain about their accuracy. Got the info below from Sniper Central 2014 review of an FNH SPR A3.

"One interesting feature that is not found on most other precision rifles is that the bore is chrome-lined. It is generally accepted that chrome-lining a barrel, unless done correctly, can negatively affect the accuracy of the barrel. FN claims that they have the process mastered, and the .5 MOA requirement seems to confirm that they have, and that the positive effects of a superior barrel life and the ease of maintenance outweigh the difficulty and costs of doing the chrome lining. The FBI required a 10,000 round barrel life without losing the .5 MOA accuracy requirement and the FN was able to pass those tests as well. An older out of production SPR A4 rifle we had on hand here does not have the chrome lined barrel, but checking the current FN catalog shows that all of their current lineup of SPR rifles have the chrome lined bores."

What cartridge were they talking about? I would be surprised if any 50,000 psi rifle would hold its accuracy for 10,000 rounds.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

What cartridge were they talking about? I would be surprised if any 50,000 psi rifle would hold its accuracy for 10,000 rounds.

308Win.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have a pretty good idea of how long it takes to erode a .204 barrel.

John, as an aside - how long does a 204 barrel last?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the barrel and how hot you shoot it, of course, but I have never been shy about heating up barrels on PD towns. I replaced the last one after less than 2000 rounds. It was still hitting PD's, but not like it had been.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thank you, John.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bellydeep,

Heat is the major factor in barrel erosion, eroding the steel, which eventually causes cracking of the surface. Even if chrome-lined, the chrome can crack too, which actually accelerates erosion because cracks in surface of steel keep the super-heated gas circulating in that area, rather than blowing down the bore.

I did this with one of the J.C. Higgins rifles mentioned by natman, a .270 Winchester. Like his rifle, mine was very accurate, but eventually the accuracy started deteriorating. My bore-scope revealed that the surface throat cracked just like it would without chrome-plating. It may have taken longer, but I don't know.

One thing that can help when the cracking starts is a few fire-lapping rounds, which smooth out the cracks and slow the erosion. I did that with the .270 but it didn't help as much as it had in other rifles, so I rebarreled it to 6.5x55.

on average chrome lining extends the life of a barrel, in a milspec type KA, Noveske, DD, or Colt AR15 5.56 barrel the chrome does not even smooth out and start shooting well until about 1000 rounds. There is a reason that .gov still after all of these years puts the stuff in machine guns and not because they want to spend money. I think melanite however is the future.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chrome inside a machine gun barrel does extend useful life, but machine guns don't normally require fine accuracy, so when it starts cracking in the throat area it's no big deal.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you might remember a fracas in southeast asia and a dude named Macnamara who allegedly got some men killed due to his belief the rifles did not need chrome in the barrels. I have a milspec Danial Defense barrel that I shot in a challenge last year IIRC it produced a bit over a MOA with 55 grain V-max. This barrel has well over 1000 round through it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're misunderstanding what I just wrote.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The military also uses Stellite tp line machine gun barrels. Stellite was the coating used on the old hard tip chainsaw bars.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.