Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

BobinNH on the Brown stock thread shamed me into pulling this NH Featherweight from storage. In this pic, was the first time it saw the light of day in quite a number of years.

It's 30-06, and was originally intended to be rebored into a 338-06. It was set up the way I wanted for testing, prior to the rebore. I then got side tracked with a 338rcm project, and never looked at this Featherweight again, until now.

[Linked Image]

Has fixed sights paired with LEU QD mounts and 2.5-8x scope.

[Linked Image]

Wonderful sight picture. Can swing on something small, like a squirrel or rabbit, busting through the woods. Very fast. Makes getting a sight picture on deer appear easy.

[Linked Image]

Scope has USMC mil-dot reticle from Premier Reticle, back when they did the custom work for Leupold.

So, here I am now looking at this thing, what to do? No longer interested in 338-06. Even if cut back to 20-inch, too thin to bore 9.3mm. Has 1-pc bottom, Williams extractor, lug and tang bedded, full float, and surpringly stiff for end for wood. Lost my notes, but memory was stock barrel shot around 1-1.5 moa 3-shot groups, if not allowed to heat too fast. That was without load development, so not sure I want to rebarrel. Did not add pillars at the time, as I had intended to restock, so that is a weak link now with the wood. As is, 7-pounds with sights and mounts less scope.

Thinking, if staying 30-06, may go ahead and drill out stock to pour pillars. Maybe see if I can get some sort of modern 150-grainer to shoot. If I like it, could always drop it in a light build stock, though not sure how much that would save over the factory FW.

Open for thoughts and suggestions, as I start muddling through this rifle.

Thanks in advance, for any input.

Later smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looks perfect as it is right now!

Don't see why you'd want to change anything...

but then it isn't my rifle...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Seafire

+1

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
It's a great lookiing rifle, I'd spend some time on handloads and see what it can do. We've been quite happy with 150 TTSX's /H4350.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If I run it in that stock, would likely prefer to drill out action screw holes a couple sizes, and pour pillars, so it better holds torque. There is load development, and possible need to tweak bedding w/ that FW barrel.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you ship it to me.... problem solved. whistle

laugh laugh

I don't know that I would TOUCH it--having irons on it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's what I would do with it, if I were you, or, if I had that rifle: hunt deer, black bear, elk etc. Now, that wasn't a tough question.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by GaryVA
If I run it in that stock, would likely prefer to drill out action screw holes a couple sizes, and pour pillars, so it better holds torque. There is load development, and possible need to tweak bedding w/ that FW barrel.
Have you shot it yet? If not,take it out and shoot it,then if need be do the above.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Seafire

+1

+2. I'd keep it as a 30-06. If not, sell it to someone who would appreciate it that way. bwinters comes to mind.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'd put it in a Bansner, McM Sako Hntr edge, Brown, or similar, and hunt it. I would maybe cut the bbl to 22" if it wasn't already.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Don't touch it except for pillars, it is a thing of beauty as is.
My New Haven Fwt stock was about 4 oz lighter than a standard fill McMillan so I doubt that there would be much in the way of weight savings unless you go with the Edge fill, even then it would probably be mimimal.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It was 22-inch, but the crown was given a deep recess for protection, so now a tad under 22.

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Leave it as is and develope a load and go kill stuff. Nice Rifle!

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have not pulled it back apart, yet, but I recall it fell somewhere between a std fill and an edge. Was thinking about trimming a tad off the lop, so that would lighten it more. I do like the pattern.

May try a factory tsx, ttb, or gmx 150gr load, see if it responds well.

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My stainless classic featherweight 30/06 loved 180 grain ballistic tips and a stiff charge of RL22. H4350 was nearly as good.3 shots in a nickel at 100 yards without any screwing around. Poke em down in the box and cycle them through. I'd leave her alone until some hand loads have been explored.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're already where you need to be, so don't mess with success. Unless you've got a wandering zero, I wouldn't even bother will the pillars.

Those stainless Featherweights were one of the handsomest factory rifles ever; be a shame to chop it up, and likely a financial boo-boo as well. A thinner pad would cut the lop without messing up the stock.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/13/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the same rifle, but in .308. Of all my big game rifles, I keep coming back to it.
I have four bolt action big game rifles, three of which are full customs, and one semi auto BG rifle. While the semi auto is the current favorite, it's only because I hunt under special circimstances.
The only thing I've really changed in mine has been the stock. That's because the forend of the orginal walnut stock would flex too much when using a shooting sling. So now it wear an MPI Kevlar stock.
It's had a trigger job, just some stoning. I have nothing with a better trigger.
It's had three different scopes. Currently it wears a simple 4X, FX2 Leupold. Heck, I've even tried a couple of different scope reticles.
The bottom line is it's good to go were ever I hunt while the full customs often stay in the safe.....
My advice ? Stop messing with it and hunt it. If it needs any modifications, they will become apparent. I'd hate to tell you how much time and money that lesson cost me. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ditch the French Whorehouse Stock, drop it in a Bansner or Brown (I think The Brown forearm is too long and needs shortening). Ditch the factory 2-piece, all-steel bottom metal and replace with PT&G aluminum 1-piece and you're set.

A McMillan Hunters Edge will work too, and its comb is good for use with irons.

Here's the same rifle as yours I built some years back, 21" bbl., Bansner:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lost my notes, but I was using 180-partitions a lot, back when I was first fiddling w/ this rifle. But, believe the basic testing and those 1-1.5moa 3-shot groups with this rifle were done with something mundane, like Speer cup and core bullets.

Now, would have interest in those modern 150 loads.

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just tore it down, gave it a look see. Pretty sure she was torqued 35-inch pounds when put away. The stock did give some, torque dropped, and now when torqued back into place, the clearance I had in the mag box is gone. I do like the featherweight pattern stock, and if I stick with wood, thinking a column of epoxy, poured as a pillars, would help lessen the likely hood of wood compression.

And yes, the stock has a full pad w/ thick spacer. Room to work before cutting any wood.

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,819
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.