Print Thread
Hop To
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Those who have tried what have your results been?

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/14/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Work?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Higbean
Work?

Work implies the act of doing something not just talking about it. Ive seen the Kimber Hunter discussed a number of times as a long range rifle but I'm more interested in who has actually worked with the Kimber Hunter as a long range rifle and what were the results of the work that was done?

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/14/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would someone buy a lightweight mountain rifle designed specifically for hunting, for long range work?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bingo...

Try changing a tire with a crescent wrench, it can be done, but it's a helluva way to do it :]

Thats why kimber is releasing the "open country" or whatever it is this year, or you could go with one of their tactical guns or a longmaster in 308 if you are stuck on kimber. (I feel you, I am)

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by Higbean
Work?

Work implies the act of doing something not just talking about it. Ive seen the Kimber Hunter discussed a number of times as a long range rifle but I'm more interested in who has actually worked with the Kimber Hunter as a long range rifle and what were the results of the work that was done?

Trystan

....or reading about it on the internet.....

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any rifle that shoots high bc bullets accurately at a decent velocity can be used for long range, regardless of make. It will obviously be easier to shoot a heavy rifle, but if you get an accurate one it will work for a light weight long range rifle.

Last edited by m77; 01/15/17.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a kimber montana 243 win w/Douglas 1-12 barrel & muzzle break that shoots 88 Bergers @ 3250 FPS 1/2 MOA @ 425 yards. Not really long range, but you can see the potential. Shooting light rifles, like big canons (338 Lapua) all require their own learning curve.
My rig weighs just over 8 lbs. w/ Bedding job, Leupold 4.5-14 x 40mm LR, B & C reticle, harris 6''-9'' notched, swivel bipod, loaded.
You attach all that weight onto a already heavy gun, and you have a rig that is not a walking coyote rifle. I couldn't be happier.
I take that back. Kristen Joy Weiss could be my gun bearer and instructor. That would make me happier!
I would guess the hunter model should not be far behind.

Last edited by kimberyote; 01/15/17.

Youtube:
The complete idiots guide to atheism.
The Four Horseman. Discussions with Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great. Christopher Hitchens
Do not fear education.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Montana in 6.5. I'm nearly certain that it won't work for long range, so I'm relegating it to 200 yards and in duty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kimberyote
I have a kimber montana 243 win w/Douglas 1-12 barrel & muzzle break that shoots 88 Bergers @ 3250 FPS 1/2 MOA @ 425 yards. Not really long range, but you can see the potential. Shooting light rifles, like big canons (338 Lapua) all require their own learning curve.
My rig weighs just over 8 lbs. w/ Bedding job, Leupold 4.5-14 x 40mm LR, B & C reticle, harris 6''-9'' notched, swivel bipod, loaded.
You attach all that weight onto a already heavy gun, and you have a rig that is not a walking coyote rifle. I couldn't be happier.
I take that back. Kristen Joy Weiss could be my gun bearer and instructor. That would make me happier!
I would guess the hunter model should not be far behind.

Couple of big differences, your rifle has a real stock, carbon fiber reinforced, not a plastic one (hunter has a heavier, squishier stock) , your rifle has a Custom finished aftermarket barrel, not a run of the mill factory tube. You picked your twist rate to match a particular bulllet, not took whatever the factory decided was goood enough, Yours has a custom bedding job, not a production line blow and go job.

All of those things are whats taking your off the shelf 1-2 MOA rifle and turning it into an all day half MOA machine. I appreciate your thoughts on light rifles that can work at range, that is true, but I think that is an apples to oranges comparison to what the OP asked.

If the OP wants to handload and do a bedding job, rework the crown etc. they might be able to get to that level without replacing barrels/ blueprinting actions etc. but it might be easier to start with something else like this bad boy in .308:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/model-84m-lpt

Once he shoots out the tube/ gets bored with it, he could get it rebarrelled in his choice of caliber/ twist/ and there will probably be something hotter than the creedmoor at that time in the future.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
I have a Montana in 6.5. I'm nearly certain that it won't work for long range, so I'm relegating it to 200 yards and in duty.

You should work up a hot handload and rework the crown.

Work it.

Etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And go wth a 1-12" twist.

You know, for long range work.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This thread is a disaster.......
Is Tryscuit David Walter's fake noob?

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/16/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.