Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Vek Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
We are the lucky recipient of a not-much-over-$100 fine from our neighborhood ass'n for a matter that we feel is pretty unfair and subjective, relating to a somewhat-terse discussion wife had with association employees being construed as "abuse" on her part. I know the concept of cutting losses, paying the negligible fine and moving on with life, but this one has us a bit irritated and I'm wondering how we can stick to our principles.

They have scheduled a hearing before the elected board in which we can present our "case", and after which our fate will be decided. At present we stand to incur escalation of the fine, loss of ass'n privileges (presumably vehicle barcodes for the gate reader and perhaps access to amenities), and loss of good-status standing. I presume the board will determine where things go during or shortly after the hearing.

What is the general campfire sentiment on where to go with this sort of thing? Lawyer up (at what cost?)? Pay and live to fight another day? I'm willing to spend a bit of mad-money on this, but not much.

Thanks for any/all advice, to include "pay the fine, dummy...".

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Since it involved your wife...she was probly wrong...pay the fine...then MOVE as quickly as possible.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
MY general sentiment is you gotta be an idiot to

A - live where there's anyone who can tell you what you can and can't do on your property, and

B - come on here looking for sympathy.

YMMV

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
V
Vek Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Well, there's a saltwater dock in the backyard, so compromises must be made. Wife has a pretty level head.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah this isn't going to go well.

LOL
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would be a "stick in the spokes"
Some of those associations are nothing but a bunch of bullies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pay the $100.00 dollars and move!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
HOA's are nothing more than places for no-job/retired busy bodies to exert their power over people they feel are beneath them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If one agrees to live under an association they agree to abide by the rules of that association. Knowing my personality I'd NEVER live where someone/s could tell me what to do or say within the confines of my property. Just reading your predicament gets my blood pressure up. I'd be in jail. 😬

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah sell house find new home not in a HOA and be happy..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Do you know where you can get a $100 in pennies? Put them in a big pickle jar...and pay the fine.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
HOA's are nothing more than places for no-job/retired busy bodies to exert their power over people they feel are beneath them.

Thats for damn sure.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What was the matter that got the HOA rep involved?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pay it & forget it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I would get 5 twenty dollar bills, I would address on envelope and then place 8-10 poison oak leaves in that envelope for a day, then I would remove the leaves and place the money in the envelope and hand deliver it to the woman involved, and the I would graciously apologize for any misunderstanding, and assure her that nothing like that would happen again.

Pluck them!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
V
Vek Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
We notified the office that we didn't get a bill for an item offered for sale to all members, four months after acquiring said item (they claim to bill monthly for that item).

Received bill 3 days later, with 10% late fee.

Wife spoke with lady in office who stated that it was USPS fault that we didn't get the 3 mailed invoices in advance of the one my wife requested and my wife snapped back something to the effect of "well they had no problem with prompt delivery of this invoice after I phoned you and specifically requested it."

Wife asks "Did you apply the late fee?"

Lady says "Yes"

Wife says "Then you can remove the late fee"

Lady says "Only the board can remove the late fee"

Wife snatched the invoice out of lady's hand, they exchanged pleasantries, and wife left. We got the fine for abuse a week later.

We pay all dues on time and are not troublemakers. We have had prior frustrating conversations with them regarding such important items as signing kids up for swim lessons and balancing access hours to the pool between old folks (who think the ass'n is a retirement community) and the rest of the members. Found out in the abuse letter that they considered one of these prior testy discussions about swim lessons to be abusive by my wife, and claim she was warned verbally at that time.

IOW, it's a bit of chickenpoop.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Vek
Well, there's a saltwater dock in the backyard, so compromises must be made. Wife has a pretty level head.
Saltwater in the back yard and a HOA ? What a shythole ! I'd tell them to GFY and get the hell out of there. Geezus, saltwater. Friggin shyt smells like dead fish and'll rust your guns. Not good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
presumably vehicle barcodes for the gate reader

Does that mean you would not be able to access your own propety ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would fight it just for the fun of it. If you lose don't pay it. Go to the newspaper and get a sympathetic reporter to put a story in the paper about this draconian HOA group.

Then move the hell out of that place. Abuse? There must be a bunch of democrats running that place.

Last edited by stantdm; 01/14/17.
V
Vek Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
We'd have to converse with the guard each time instead of buzzing through. Will get annoying in the summer with increased traffic.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 14,868 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,172
Posts18,543,017
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.