Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool ride by the way.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Remind me not to drink from your Nalgenes. eek

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by viking
PS, find you a pair of surplus military artic boots, we called them bunny boots. I don't know the correct name for them. The white ones were rated for minus 70, the black ones were rated for minus 30. I still have both pair.

They are Bata Boots. The black ones (Type 1) are called "Mickey Mouse Boots" and the white ones (Type 2) "Bunny Boots".

You can still buy them.

Hopefully, I'll never need them here in East Texas. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great pics and write up, and responses.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Great pics Mackay...can hardly wait to see that area again...once it thaws out that is... It was -27 in Challis yesterday morning...-10 in Mackay.

About 15 years ago took a Ruger Mini30 to the range when it was -5*. Left it and the ammo out overnight in the back of my truck and took it to the range that way.. Had zero problems with it running the whole magazine. It was dry except for some G96 silicone spray...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
having never in my life experienced anything like that, I can't imagine those conditions. My hat is off to anyone that can function in such extreme temperatures and weather.
I respect that ability but I damn sure am not going to ever participate in such an exercise. smile
Y'll carry on.

Sam,

You would have loved my year and a half living/working on the Caspian Sea.

My island 60 miles offshore.

[Linked Image]

My living quarters. The retired Russian cruise ship Shkotov.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Was it lube or dirt that froze up?

And what lube were you using? I read the thread and if I missed it I apologize.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EdM
having never in my life experienced anything like that, I can't imagine those conditions. My hat is off to anyone that can function in such extreme temperatures and weather.
I respect that ability but I damn sure am not going to ever participate in such an exercise. smile
Y'll carry on.

Sam,

You would have loved my year and a half living/working on the Caspian Sea.

My island 60 miles offshore.

[Linked Image]

My living quarters. The retired Russian cruise ship Shkotov.

[Linked Image]

UBER ethnic!

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The tough part is that you have to keep the heater going full blast on the windshield, so the toes never actually get warm. My toes were quite numb by the time a got to Salmon Idaho.

Have you tried blocking some of the radiator (bottom 1/2) with cardboard at those temps?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Cardboard can make a difference, but best not to put it too close to the radiator because if it gets wet it can breakdown and plug up the mesh on the radiator - BTDT.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Beer-box cardboard seems about perfect. I've also used heavy duty aluminum cooking foil to cover the grill.

Nice pics Mackay!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the story on those rims? Are they OEM?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by viking
PS, find you a pair of surplus military artic boots, we called them bunny boots. I don't know the correct name for them. The white ones were rated for minus 70, the black ones were rated for minus 30. I still have both pair.

They are Bata Boots. The black ones (Type 1) are called "Mickey Mouse Boots" and the white ones (Type 2) "Bunny Boots".

You can still buy them.

Hopefully, I'll never need them here in East Texas. grin

Ed

Want some Ed?

I can buy either ones, here locally...if ya ever do need some...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pictures, stories and info.....My hats off to all you guys (Especially military, LEO and Fire/EMS) that live, work, protect and play in those sub zero temps. I have taken several tent/pack Elk hunting trips into the Bridger Teton Wilderness area where temps dropped to -14 F with several feet of snow as well as other trips to Montana and Canada....Those trips were only a week or so at a time then back home to balmy Long Island, takes a certain toughness to endure those conditions on a regular basis...Kudos !

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is the only place I've lived where a vehicle's heater couldn't compete with the cold and wind chill of driving 70mph down a road.

Full blast, defrost only and the ice just keeps growing. It's crazy how cold it gets here. In the 20's yesterday and today. Feels good.

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by SBTCO

I did a December cow elk hunt here in MT. about 15-16 years ago. Friggin cold. Got down to -20 at night and I was camped out with 10x10 spike tent with a little Riley wood stove that would produce enough heat for about 20 min. before stoking again to maintain heat so obviously didn't last through the night. Had a good sleeping bag but regardless, in those temps a guy learns quick how to prioritize and organize for the little things in life, like taking a crap without freezing certain extremities. All good fun!

On similar cold hunting trips, I do the old trick of filling a Nalgene bottle (or 2) of boiling hot water and sticking one down by me feet, in my sleeping bag, and one up near my core.

Plus I keep an empty bottle close at hand to pee into during the night, so I don't have to leave the tent. Taking a leak in freezing temps,after crawling out of a warm bag is no fun at all.

Carolyn complains no fair I can pee in a bottle at night when its cold....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
'Cool' pics Mackay, and uber Toyota!

It's been a real winter here in eastern MT as well.

A little more snow than normal and chilly.

Average daily temp so far this year is -3F.

We lost power to part of the cow farm this past week and had to use a Honda generator to get waterers and a 40 year old IH tractor thawed out.

-22F and -18F on two different mornings and with less than a half dozen pulls it started right up.

Hydraulics are SLOW to get moving and I'm getting tired of chopping ice... Gonna have to sharpen the axe, 7-8" of ice made every night.

Dumb question I know... if it takes a bit of work with that much ice, wouldn't a small chain saw be easier? Until so cold that chains would shatter?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Y'll carry on.

Sam, really you have RE extremes, you are just on the other end like we are.

Dealing with 120 in teh sun plus a heat index and the 90% humidity, thats not for normal people to deal with either.

Often thought that somewhere between where we are, and AK should be a happy medium somewhere, some how....

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Was it lube or dirt that froze up?

And what lube were you using? I read the thread and if I missed it I apologize.

Travis

The lube gummed up, and I was getting light firing pin strikes. I heated up the BCG, taking 90% of the lube off. After that it ran flawlessly.

The next time out, when the temps get to 10 below or colder, I will give it a go with a super low viscosity oil.

It is 6 degrees currently. Not cold enough.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by g5m
Good photos and info!!

Thanks Friend! smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.