Abuse....somebody needs a smack in the snot box ...imo

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Vek
We are the lucky recipient of a not-much-over-$100 fine from our neighborhood ass'n for a matter that we feel is pretty unfair and subjective, relating to a somewhat-terse discussion wife had with association employees being construed as "abuse" on her part. I know the concept of cutting losses, paying the negligible fine and moving on with life, but this one has us a bit irritated and I'm wondering how we can stick to our principles.

They have scheduled a hearing before the elected board in which we can present our "case", and after which our fate will be decided. At present we stand to incur escalation of the fine, loss of ass'n privileges (presumably vehicle barcodes for the gate reader and perhaps access to amenities), and loss of good-status standing. I presume the board will determine where things go during or shortly after the hearing.

What is the general campfire sentiment on where to go with this sort of thing? Lawyer up (at what cost?)? Pay and live to fight another day? I'm willing to spend a bit of mad-money on this, but not much.

Thanks for any/all advice, to include "pay the fine, dummy...".

Okay...so what is the outcome if you do not pay a monetary fine to a private organisation.
Further...what are your options for redress or overview of the matter?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hoa is setup against the home owners. Pay up. Now move or suck it up. Will not be the last time you have problems with the HOA.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Vek
I'm not complaining about the rules.

I can't be convinced that the encounter was abusive. It went south when the office employee suggested that blame be placed on the USPS, instead of doing a couple minutes of investigation of billing records.

So integrity, actual or perceived, isn't worth stressing over?

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
If you agreed to live under a HOA, then abide by it, or expect problems if you don't. I've never understood why people complain about their HOA rules, as they had the choice to live there or not.

Pay the fine and move on with your life. Some things aren't worth stressing over.

Sure it is, but as you know, this is petty BS. The HOA lady was clearly intimidated by your wife it seems.

Some things are worthy of falling on your sword over, but don't think this is. It will piss you off to pay the fine, but that gets it out of the way.

Otherwise have your wife let the HOA lady know what 'abuse' is! wink

BTW; miss AK yet?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the only abuse I see so far, is 'fire members abusing vek for various imagined offenses to the tender sensibilities of the smart azzed and self righteous. smile

Sam......

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you thought blowing some buildings up?? Usually when [bleep] starts blowing up i.e. Swimming pool people start to get nervous...

Last edited by 79S; 01/14/17.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know how people live in a HOA. This is exactly why you shouldn't.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
Get a copy of the covenants and read them.

Unless very specifically the Covenants allow a fine for "abuse" then it is not legal. Think you will find more than enough ammunition here to make their live miserable too.

Send a certified letter to the board requesting a copy of the specific bylaw authorizing fines for "abuse"

Trust me most HOA boards do not have a clue what they can do and not do.

Also check with state attorney general on any state laws that govern HOAs. Many states have very specific laws for HOAs to follow.

All states normally allow you to request a written copy of all board minutes, by laws, meetings etc.

If you think it is wrong, pay it and then sue in Small Claims Court and show the judge a copy of the by laws not authorizing that fine.

Consult a local real estate attorney that specializes in HOAs, not real estate closings, big difference.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
MY general sentiment is you gotta be an idiot to

A - live where there's anyone who can tell you what you can and can't do on your property, and

B - come on here looking for sympathy.

YMMV

This. I have no sympathy for anyone who signed a contract that allows their neighbors to tell them how they should live on top of paying property taxes to the govt.

You wanted to join an exclusive elitist club, you pay your dues.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost all legal board actions must be done by registered letter.

That means they must have a receipt, ask for that.

In prep for the hearing, send a registered letter to them saying these things.

1. In order to prepare for the hearing you require the following
2. copy of the by laws/CCRs and specifically what CCR provisions are you being charged with violating
3. What CCR provision authorizes the fines for abuse
4. Notify them you will be bringing witness and a tape recorder for the meeting. They cannot stop unless the CCR specifically prevents it.
5. copies of Mail receipt for the 3 letters they sent
6. Request the meeting be postponed until 14 days AFTER they deliver the above items.

Note: The By Laws and CCR must be on file at the County Register of deeds office in order to be legal. You can go online and download them while waiting for their response. Just look under your deed, as they must be attached except for updates since purchase and the subdivision name. The sub must file all changes to the Register of Deeds.

Again, talk to the state Attorney General Office and ask what state laws govern HOAs. Most states have laws on HOAs specifically AND on corporations. An HOA is actually and incorporation and has specific laws governing their conduction and operations.

HOAs can be beaten by their own rules as many rarely follow them. The board often consider themselves above the rules.

Here is the link to the Washington laws on HOAs http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=64.38&full=true

Last edited by BountyHunter; 01/14/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Have you thought blowing some buildings up?? Usually when [bleep] starts blowing up i.e. Swimming pool people start to get nervous...

I love that quote. laugh

Blowing up may be a bit much in this case, but one can get someone's attention with the proper application of a jerry jug and a Zippo.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just don't understand why some people PAY for more regulation and loss of freedom.

I simply can't/won't do it.

I'd live in a cave before I would do that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bbassi
MY general sentiment is you gotta be an idiot to

A - live where there's anyone who can tell you what you can and can't do on your property, and

B - come on here looking for sympathy.

YMMV

We all live in a system like that....it's called public government.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Four pages and nobody suggests fugking the president of the HOA's wife?

Or, if the president is a chick, fugk her. Take video.

This is a no brainer.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
HOA!? Sounds like a living hell.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
PS-You don't need a lawyer to argue with an HOA board.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wouldn't pay it. I wouldn't hire a lawyer either. Go to the hearing, state your case. This woman your wife spoke to has probably done the same kind of stuff before and people probably know it.

Ask for their written standard for "abuse" and tell them it's for your lawyer to review. Ask specifically how your wife violated it, and where the violation is documented. Ask who gets to determine what constitutes abuse, and how they make the determination. It should be the board who makes any determinations like that. Ask them how they came to their determination of abuse without interviewing half the people who were witnesses (your wife). Tell them you believe you're being harassed and retaliated against for questioning their judgment in the other matter and tell them you'll hire a lawyer and file a counter claim if they don't drop it.

They don't want to have to spend money on a lawyer to defend something like that, easiest route for them will be to drop it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you want to live where a H O A is prepare to put up with stupid $hit. if not MOVE!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mohick
If you want to live where a H O A is prepare to put up with stupid $hit. if not MOVE!!!!!!!!!!

At least he owns a home, unlike your unemployed, broke-dick ass.

Clark

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by mohick

At least he owns a home, unlike your unemployed, broke-dick ass.

Clark

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 53 invisible), 12,043 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,644
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.