Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Build new cattle working/shipping pens.

From the ground up. frown

Taking applications for help. Doesn't pay anything, but all the beer you can drink, BBQ you can eat, and hogs you can shoot... grin

Just kidding about the help. wink I do need to be done with this before hot weather hits again.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not only a lot of work, but, $$$$$$ as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, just got most of the materials bought and hauled them out here. Including a new headgate, and 5 other gates for use in the pens. eek

Just the treated lumber for the chute and the Quikcrete left to get.

Going to put the PHD to work too. Overtime.

[Linked Image]

May end up buying a cement mixer before it's all over as well.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What is the fence to be?
Left to their own devices, cattle can, and will make short work of even the older full 1/4" cattle panels, the newer lighter yet panels, they destroy even quicker.
We used some 20' welded 11/4" pipe sections last fall.
I hope they have some staying power!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I've helped some friends in Wva build catch pens out of Locust post and Oak fence boards . Lotta work

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Work indeed, once done however, good working facilitates are like a tool made for the job, and it beats the daylights out of chasing bovines all over the place.
Easier on both man, and beast!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What is the fence to be?
Left to their own devices, cattle can, and will make short work of even the older full 1/4" cattle panels, the newer lighter yet panels, they destroy even quicker.

Not going the cattle panel or bull panel route. They wreck those pretty fast, IMHO.

Using 8" posts concreted in with very short spans and overlapping layers of very heavy duty net wire stretched and anchored to each load bearing corner post.

For the chute I'm using 8" posts on 5 foot spans, concreted in, and tied and anchored with top cross braces to each opposite post. 2x8 treated lumber for the sides, anchored to the posts with 60d nails.

Also putting in a net/barbwire drift fence to the corner gate to make penning the cattle easier. Dual pen water trough installed and plumbed in from nearby windmill in case I need to hold them in the pens overnight.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When are you starting the actual manual labor?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
When are you starting the actual manual labor?

Ed

I'm gonna give it a day or so because we are supposed to be getting some rain.

Then I'll lay everything out with my survey instrument and start digging post holes with the tractor. (That alone requires some planning as not to run over and fill up previously dug ones.) laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Free advise is worth what you pay for it!

Back in the 80's, they started putting, "legs", under cattle, making them taller.
Somehow, that seems to have made the fences shorter.
Tall cattle can jump over, or on, fence that was, was, high enough the years back. I'd make anything new plenty high.
I'll also recommend climbable sides for us ranch hands in case off some critter that takes um-bridge with being herded into a chute!

Not advise here, but some vets like a "tub", a circle with a gate that crowds the cattle into the alley just before the working chute.
Here at our "cattle company", and traveling circus, we ain't that high fulutin'

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
About 6' sides.

My cattle are gentle. But not saying they can't get froggy if not handled right... wink I firmly believe in handling them right. (I can walk out in the pasture, even without a sack of cake and lay hands on most of them, bull included.)

I have a gate driven crowding funnel before the chute. I think it'll do ok. Looked at the circle, but was more complicated than I wanted to layout and build for now.

Always appreciate the suggestions though. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good "luck", with it.
What is the ground cover? Plain dirt gets powerful muddy, and concrete can be slippery for cattle.
I have used 3" lime rock to put sort of a bottom in our corral.

One thing about it, I'm sure the work, and cash will pay dividends.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Luckily here there is 1 1/2 foot of sand, followed by yellowish clay under that.

It can sure get solvent when it's completely saturated, but not muddy. More like quicksand when that happens. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The "tub" system really works good. My in-laws have one. My cattle working facilities are pretty lame compared to that. I used crossties for the posts for the headgate and the catch pen, and oak or treated 2X6's for the rest. I learned real quick that the "economy" corral panels are worthless for holding and working cattle. The important thing is not to give them an opening of any kind that they can stick their nose in, or they'll try and get out. My cattle are fairly gentle, but they don't like being worked.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I agree about leaving them no holes to get started with, James. I have lots of cedar on the place and I'll be clearing areas and save the cedar as stays to be tied in as I go. The more solid it is, the better.

Got me to reflecting about driving through Mexico. (when it was safe to do so..)

There's some pretty barren and poor areas down there, and the corrals in those areas were made from desert plants. Often as not, cactus was planted and cultivated into literally "living working pens".

Wish I had taken pictures of the more elaborate ones. They were impressive.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now, you have me thinking about the vet saying,"Give it 20 ml of Penicillin for 5 days".
After the seconded day, the critter is pretty chute smart, and they seem to be more than willing to go any direction but, straight up, or straight down!
Or, barrel right back over a fellow like a young Franco Harris, on a good day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What is the fence to be?

Not going the cattle panel or bull panel route. They wreck those pretty fast, IMHO.

Using 8" posts concreted in with very short spans and overlapping layers of very heavy duty net wire stretched and anchored to each load bearing corner post.

For the chute I'm using 8" posts on 5 foot spans, concreted in, and tied and anchored with top cross braces to each opposite post. 2x8 treated lumber for the sides, anchored to the posts with 60d nails.

Also putting in a net/barbwire drift fence to the corner gate to make penning the cattle easier. Dual pen water trough installed and plumbed in from nearby windmill in case I need to hold them in the pens overnight.

As a career carpenter who apprenticed a couple decades before nail guns were invented just reading that makes my elbow hurt....
To bad because that free beer, BBQ, and Pig slaying was sounding pretty good to me...

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If the budget can take it, I'd think about lag bolts with a flat washer, using a cordless driver.
In the bad old days, when we used the 60d's we drilled the plank, and used a flat washer under the head.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
As a career carpenter who apprenticed a couple decades before nail guns were invented just reading that makes my elbow hurt....
To bad because that free beer, BBQ, and Pig slaying was sounding pretty good to me...

It's not too bad, if I take it a bit at a time. Wouldn't want to spend all day doing it... I use a 3 pound hammer to drive them. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Corral work is a never ending battle!

My biggest annoyance....oak rail road ties and pounding nails into them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

433 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.