Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm curious why folks on here who use scopes in the 4-12X, 4-16X, 4 1/2-14X, 4 1/2-18X don't see the value of 4 1/2-30X. Any comments?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Choosing not to buy does not necessarily mean one doesn't see the value in that magnification range. One can buy a decent 4-12 for $250; not so with a 4.5-30.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For shooting targets, I would maybe see the benefit. For hunting, no. At higher power any movement is magnified, making it seem impossible to hold steady while taking a shot at an animal. I just wouldn't use it enough to justify paying for it.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
I'm curious why folks on here who use scopes in the 4-12X, 4-16X, 4 1/2-14X, 4 1/2-18X don't see the value of 4 1/2-30X. Any comments?

Are you really asking, "Why is there no love for the Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50?" For me, I wouldn't put that much money into a Bushnell. In reference to max power, anything over 20x for me is useless. Too much mirage and it magnifies my wiggles to a point where I spend too much time worrying about it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Maybe if you shot off a bench all day there would be some benefit although I can think of better scopes for that purpose e.g. Leupold 40x.

As for use on a hunting rifle, where you have to actually get off your fat butt and carry your rifle and scope around; absolutely not. In fact, I think it would be one of the worst variable scopes to put on a hunting rifle.

I only use small variables or 6x max fixed scopes on my hunting rifles. Not into Hubble scopes.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
its the cost of the 4.5 x 30 that has kept me from owning one Rich.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zeissman
Maybe if you shot off a bench all day there would be some benefit although I can think of better scopes for that purpose e.g. Leupold 40x.

As for use on a hunting rifle, where you have to actually get off your fat butt and carry your rifle and scope around; absolutely not. In fact, I think it would be one of the worst variable scopes to put on a hunting rifle.

I only use small variables or 6x max fixed scopes on my hunting rifles. Not into Hubble scopes.

You can't see the value of having enough magnification to verify you want to shoot at the game you found with your binoculars? A couple years ago I found a deer with my binoculars. I had to turn the scope I had clear up to 25X to see it had three points in a three points or better area.

Are you assuming because I have a big scope I have a big butt?

Everyday Hunter
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You need to invest in some better binoculars. Rifle scopes aren't for "glassing" unless you are starring on an Alaskan reality tv show.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wwy
You need to invest in some better binoculars. Rifle scopes aren't for "glassing" unless you are starring on an Alaskan reality tv show.

Do you know of some 7X or 8X binoculars that can discern the same detail as a Swarovski z5 rifle scope set on 25X? Or even 12X. I need one. A couple years ago I needed 12X to verify whether or not I wanted to fire at a deer. In the mean time game I find with the binoculars will be verified with the scope before I fire.

What brand are these mystical binoculars you recommend?

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by zeissman

You can't see the value of having enough magnification to verify you want to shoot at the game you found with your binoculars? A couple years ago I found a deer with my binoculars. I had to turn the scope I had clear up to 25X to see it had three points in a three points or better area.

Are you assuming because I have a big scope I have a big butt?

To answer your first question. No, I can't see the value in that. I'm not blind. I can see the antlers on any deer clearly enough with a 6x scope at any range I'll be shooting at one, which is just about always under 300m. I don't want some monstrosity of a scope ruining the handling of my hunting rifles.

In answer to your last question. Based on the fact that you like to use heavy Hubble type scopes on your hunting rifles. Plus, probably being the sedentary type, then more than likely you're overweight with a fat azz. If you had to walk up hill and dale or even any real distance then you'd soon realize the folly of toting a heavy rig around. You also would not then be then be the aforementioned 'sendentary type'. Not meaning to be disrespectful or anything but you did ask. wink

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Because 30x isn't enough past about 138 yards.

Using a March 8-80x56 I don't need binoculars on the low end OR a spotter on the high end, win-win. If I know I'll be a little closer in range I'll sometimes opt for the 5-50x56 but that can be risky, feel a little handicapped at 50x at times. YMMV

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
zeissman,

To answer your first question. No, I can't see the value in that. I'm not blind. I can see the antlers on any deer clearly enough with a 6x scope at any range I'll be shooting at one, which is just about always under 300m. I don't want some monstrosity of a scope ruining the handling of my hunting rifles.

What you call a monstrosity of a scope I call just right. Different strokes for different folks.

In answer to your last question. Based on the fact that you like to use heavy Hubble type scopes on your hunting rifles. Plus, probably being the sedentary type, then more than likely you're overweight with a fat azz. If you had to walk up hill and dale or even any real distance then you'd soon realize the folly of toting a heavy rig around. You also would not then be then be the aforementioned 'sendentary type'. Not meaning to be disrespectful or anything but you did ask. wink

Not meaning to be disrespectful or anything but you did post a lot of ignorant speculation in a very short post. I am 5'7' 155 pounds. When I hunt the only time the rifle is no in one of my hands is when I am glassing or when I am dragging a deer to the road. Sometimes that take up to two hours.

I exercise regularly. Last January my wife challenge me with,
"Why don't you do seventy-two pushups on your seventy-second birthday?"
"That's a long way away," I told her.
"July 15 is a long way away," she continued.
At the time I could do about fifteen or twenty. When July 15 came I did eighty. During the month leading up to July I did a small amount of light strength training for my biceps also.

There is a low place between the drive to the house and the drive to the barn. I suppose the drop between the two is about ten to twelve feet. I often put on a back pack of fifty pounds and, with a dumb bell in each hand, walk from one drive to the other and back for ten to twenty minutes. One time I checked how long it takes me to walk a mile with the fifty pound pack: 14 1/2 minutes.

The place where I hunt is very steep. The last time my son-in-law went with me I wanted to get up the hill where I like to hunt. Within about one minute he said,
"Go ahead, Ringman, I can't keep up with you."

If you had any class you would apologize for your ignorant post.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like a 4x12. 3x9's are good too for my type of hunting. With a 4x12 you don't need a spotting scope is the main reason I like them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't see how anyone can effectively use anything much over 16-20x in the big game field, especially if there is any cover or anything but bright sunlight. Brightness, clarity, FOV, etc are all sacrificed at the higher magnification levels. A good pair of high powered bino's or a spotting scope on a stand is much more effective to determine a shooter. I've got a very nice Leupold 8.5-25 on one of my ground squirrel rifles and it never goes above 20x in the field because the mirage is so bad. 20x is plenty to hit a 6" high target 400yds away, less is required for larger animals.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am in the group that finds little use for things over 10X or so in the hunting field.

Because of the exit pupil that you can get with a 40mm or 50mm obj I don't see a lot benefit in low light at real high magnifications.

There are a few uses for a little more magnification. I do hunt one place that has a 8 point or $1500 fine policy and a lot of the hunting is done on these cuts where you have just a couple of seconds to count and decide to shoot or not. No time for bios or a spotter so a good scope with a little more mag is a nice compromise. Truthfully it is a pretty specialized application because in most hunting circumstances I don't have to make a point count its more a quick realization of that is something I would like to shoot and 10x is more than enough for that.

Add in that its one thing to count points on a what you know is a deer with a scope, its not for glassing unknown targets.

Of course more mag has its uses at the range when shooting groups or extended range, but even then it takes pretty unusual conditions to for me to make real benefit of anything exceeding 20x.

Although I have a few scopes above 14X, the vast majority of my scopes are fixed 4x33, 6x36 or 6x42.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z

What you call a monstrosity of a scope I call just right. Different strokes for different folks.

Not meaning to be disrespectful or anything but you did post a lot of ignorant speculation in a very short post. I am 5'7' 155 pounds. When I hunt the only time the rifle is no in one of my hands is when I am glassing or when I am dragging a deer to the road. Sometimes that take up to two hours.

I exercise regularly. Last January my wife challenge me with,
"Why don't you do seventy-two pushups on your seventy-second birthday?"
"That's a long way away," I told her.
"July 15 is a long way away," she continued.
At the time I could do about fifteen or twenty. When July 15 came I did eighty. During the month leading up to July I did a small amount of light strength training for my biceps also.

There is a low place between the drive to the house and the drive to the barn. I suppose the drop between the two is about ten to twelve feet. I often put on a back pack of fifty pounds and, with a dumb bell in each hand, walk from one drive to the other and back for ten to twenty minutes. One time I checked how long it takes me to walk a mile with the fifty pound pack: 14 1/2 minutes.

The place where I hunt is very steep. The last time my son-in-law went with me I wanted to get up the hill where I like to hunt. Within about one minute he said,
"Go ahead, Ringman, I can't keep up with you."

If you had any class you would apologize for your ignorant post.

LOL, it was said tongue in cheek Ringman. I wouldn't have a clue if you were 5' or 6'5" as skinny as a rake handle or as fat as a hippo. For all I know you might be a candidate for the next Senior Olympics; especially going by what you've just posted about yourself.

Obviously, I've offended your good self when I didn't intend to, so I apologize. I offend my wife a lot too with my non PC remarks and she can't see the humor in them either. Enjoy your fine scopes sir.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why thank you, sir. But I don't have a chance in the senior Olympics. I have not been able to bo a one arm pull up for at least seven or eight years.

Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.