Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ordered one of the new split rings that Mike (Lightfoot) is making for use with 1" Stith mounts. This allows for virtually any straight tube 1" scope to be used in a Stith, since the objective bell does not have to be removed to put it into the rear mount.

I'm getting set up for a bear hunt this coming fall and I wanted a good low light scope. I decided on a Leupold VX I 1-4X with a heavy duplex reticle. It's a lot of scope for the money ($200) and should be just what I need. I've got the scope and mount on a 1930s T in .300 with a thumb safety.

I've got nothing but good things to say about Mike's new product. It's simply a matter of replacing the old rear ring on the Stith; it couldn't be easier.

[Linked Image]

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my guns has the straight tube front... darn, can't remember which. Soon as I find out I think I'm gonna have to get one of these.

Very nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own the prototype that Mike made, haven't put a scope on it yet though.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought one also, just dont have a rifle to put it on! have scope, and all else tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the plug Rod! I have torx screws to go with it if needed.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
How much of the Leupolds tube is in the front mount? Just curious. I have an order in.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How much of the Leupolds tube is in the front mount?

That may be the weak link in the setup. I'd like to have more of the front tube engaged. It's only in the front mount about two inches. It seems rigid enough, but many of the older scopes had longer tubes and would bottom out in the front mount of a Stith, giving them extra rigidity.

Are there longer tubes available for the front mount? I seem to remember seeing different length tubes for the 3/4" Stiths; is this true of the 1" mounts?

Rod

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just measured 3 1" tubes.

2 of them are 3.5" and one is 3 1/4" measured at the bottom of the tube to the back.

Last edited by mad_dog; 01/18/17.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a bastardized fix for the short tube. You can use a front tube for the Win 70 QD style Stith. You have to bend the strap down to line up with the tilt in Savage sight dovetail. I can post some pics when I find them again.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's just damn cool. Would it be more rigid if you sleeved the tube in front of the scope? Thanks for putting up the picture.

Last edited by S99VG; 01/18/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Alas tis an unfinished job Mike, your mission, should you choose to accept it is to now make a front tube to take a modern scope, maybe a 32, 33 mm objective.

Should'nt take you to long to get it sorted

Johno

Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There is a bastardized fix for the short tube. You can use a front tube for the Win 70 QD style Stith. You have to bend the strap down to line up with the tilt in Savage sight dovetail. I can post some pics when I find them again.

I'd like to see what you come up with on this Mike. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not the "length" of the front tube. If you look inside from back to front, you'll see a ledge inside where the inside diameters change. In order to have a solid rigid set-up your scope needs to butt up against that ledge. If the scope doesn't make it you'll need to put a spacer in the tube between the scope and the ledge. Once you have the scope installed and have your eye relief set look in from the front and get a measurement from the ledge to the front of the scope. That will tell you what size spacer you need.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ahhhh... thanks Steve. That makes sense. I'm thinking that a spacer could be made from a section of tube from a junk scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple inches that I cut into various lengths of black plastic that I used. Another way to get that measurement is, if you already have the scope installed where you are comfortable with it, take a sharpie and mark the scope at the front tube. remove the rear ring and slide the scope into the tube and make another mark. The distance between the two marks will give you the width of the spacer you need. An old scope tube will work, but it's harder to work with.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
It's not the "length" of the front tube. If you look inside from back to front, you'll see a ledge inside where the inside diameters change. In order to have a solid rigid set-up your scope needs to butt up against that ledge. If the scope doesn't make it you'll need to put a spacer in the tube between the scope and the ledge. Once you have the scope installed and have your eye relief set look in from the front and get a measurement from the ledge to the front of the scope. That will tell you what size spacer you need.

That's what I meant with the sleeve. I had a machinist make one up out of aluminum for that reason about 15-years ago for a Stith.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is good info. I didn't know the scope had to butt up against the ledge in the front tube. I think one of my Stith setups doesn't butt up against the ledge. I'll have to check them. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a Weaver V4.5 I mounted with a Stith split rear ring windage mount and the Win 70 front tube. I took a pic before bending the Win tube just to show why parts don't interchange that well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That doesn't look bad at all. How is that rear ring working? I have one and had a bear of a time getting it to stay in place on recoil. As a matter of fact it was with the same Weaver scope that you used.

Last edited by S99VG; 01/19/17.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The base block that the ring goes into is reversed. Turn it 180 so the recoil doesn't slip the ring out of the slot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.