barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by harv3589
I would narrow it down to 4

.243 just because I like them

This pretty well sums up my feelings also.

As far as the 260 for elk - a resounding yes, at least Idaho elk don't know it isn't enough cartridge. If anyone asks just tell them you are using a short version of the 6.5x55.

drover

I like it.

GB1

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I have an idea. Grow some balls and sell some stuff. But I can guarantee you.....you'll buy more than you sell. I've tried it several times and failed and I'm trying it now. FUTILE!

I have tried this twice before and bought more than I had the previous time. I will stand strong and grow a pair this time wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by barm
Jstuart,

I have no experience with the Brno 21 or Husqvarna 146, are they Mauser copies?

This is a model 21 in 7x64 (mine), it is basically a refined small ring 98 with dovetails on top.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a Husqvarna 146 (picture from internet), these are a large ring 98 and can be had at very reasonable prices, and were I starting out I would definitely be going the Husqvarna 146 route.

[Linked Image]

This is a 146 (not mine) that a fellow on another forum has modified...and I for one think it is a cracking job.

[Linked Image]

I honestly do think the Husqvarna 146 is the very best buy to be had in quality/dollar terms.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
22 LR Weatherby XXII aka Anschutz 64 sporter blued
22 Magnum CZ 455 sporter blued
22 Hornet CZ 527 sporter blued
221 Fireball CZ 527 sporter blued
222 Remington Remington 700 sporter blued
223 Remington Remington 7 sporter stainless
204 Ruger CZ 527 heavy barrel blued
22-250 Remington Remington 700 heavy barrel stainless
243 Winchester Remington 700 sporter stainless
6mm Remington Remington 700 sporter blued
260 Remington Remington 7 sporter stainless

My Take;

22LR... keep a .22LR for sure

22 Magnum
22 Hornet
221 Fireball

Choose one of these three. If You keep the Hornet 'K' it

222 Remington
223 Remington
204 Ruger
22-250 Remington

Whatever works for You... is it a stainless rifle, heavier barrel, lighter for a walking varminter, an action You prefer? Whatever works for You... But keep one maybe even two if You're not sure or maybe You want to cover a couple of bases, ie. walking varminter and a 22-250 for longer ranges?

243 Winchester
6mm Remington
260 Remington

Again, is it stainless, an action, a cartridge preference or nostalgia? Whatever works for You as Your deer rifle... But pick one, they all work for deer.

Maybe start by trimming one from each category.

Mule Deer, Antelope and Elk... Pick up a .270 Winchester. Recoil shy, avoid the Magnum suggestions.

There You're done,

Jerry

edited to add;
Oh and I agree with drover the .260 will work in lieu of the .270 Win.

jerrywoodswalker,

I like the way you broke the down the varmint rifles. These are the hardest for me. In my mind, each fits the perfect niche scenario. Like you suggested, if I rid myself of one from each group I could then see how I like it.

The 22 Magnum and 22 Hornet are probably the least desirble in the first group. They both have the Lux stock which is great for standing, but not so great for prone or shooting off the bench. I also loathe the safety on the 22 Magnum. Ammo was a pain in the butt to get too. I had envisioned using the 22 Hornet as a downloaded 22 Magnum if I couldn't find ammo. The problem I have run into with this Hornet is the magazine length forces me to single load with most of the newer varmint bullets. Also the twist rate is 1-16", yuck.

The second group would be harder for me. I bought the 222 because I am total push over for the triple deuce, although I hate the 1-14" twist. The 223 is a short stainless gun I had envisioned using as my AR, since I can't stand the platform, yet I would still like to have something chambered in the same cartridge in case the zombie apocalypse comes shocked I am thinking the 204 Ruger and 22-250 may have to have a shootout this spring to see which I like better.

For the deer rifles, I could live with three and not feel like too much of a hoarder.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Okie John,

I have a nice set of Zeiss binoculars and a Leica rangefinder, so I will check those. My scopes consist of Leupold, Nightforce, Zeiss, and a few Weavers mixed in. The boots are a great which I would probably screw up.

The '06 rifle is a great suggestion, but I would have to download to use it. I had to take a break from shooting and hunting for medical reasons and now that I am back into it I am starting to realize how much pain I blocked out. I can go out today and shot my 243, 6mm, or 260 and not feel bad afterwards. I think I know my limitations and I don't want to condition myself to ignore the pain. I used to shoot much bigger stuff and I may again someday, but right now I don't want to try. You are right though about the availability of ammunition and I may get stuck having to use someone else's rifle on a trip. Thank you for your help I may end with a bigger caliber in a few years.

IC B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I would add a 270, get rid of the little stuff and buy a Rock River varmint AR. The Rock River AR will shoot 1/2,groups.

I have tried the AR route and it is not for me.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a good simple battery too. I am finding my hardest part is giving up the varmint rifles.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifles. I will have to look into them. When I think Husqvarna I think chainsaws. Is it the same company?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Beautiful rifles. I will have to look into them. When I think Husqvarna I think chainsaws. Is it the same company?

Yes, but they no longer make rifles...for some reason they do not seem to attract the attention of post modern plastic aficionados.
Metallurgy is excellent, and they are something that your great grand-children can get to use and cherish, for they were all made in an era whereupon quality was admired and avidly sought.

I came to the conclusion some years ago that I should own the best quality that I could reasonably afford...and leave the rest to those who do not know or care better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Yes, but they no longer make rifles...for some reason they do not seem to attract the attention of post modern plastic aficionados.
Metallurgy is excellent, and they are something that your great grand-children can get to use and cherish, for they were all made in an era whereupon quality was admired and avidly sought.

I came to the conclusion some years ago that I should own the best quality that I could reasonably afford...and leave the rest to those who do not know or care better.

I've a good friend in Canada that has a "Husky" in 300 win mag. He will never part with it.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
keep the 22LR
keep the 222 (sweet rifle- sure the 204 and 22/250 are uber faster but the groundhogs wont know the difference)
edit- just saw 500 yards keep the 22/250 also!
keep the 6mm remington- mule deer and antelope

elk? 270

Last edited by Brian; 01/19/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I've a good friend in Canada that has a "Husky" in 300 win mag. He will never part with it.

A very smart man your friend.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
FYI, the Husqvarna logo (even on chainsaws, snowblowers and motorcycles) is a gun sight.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I hunt squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. I also plan to punch some paper and make some trips out west for mule deer, elk, and antelope. If it was your rifle battery, what would you change, and why? Would you leave it alone? Add to it?

I keep going back and forth justifying each, but when I look at it from afar, I still see overlap. I need an objective eye from the 'fire.

OK, I am back into this one more time - my suggestion was

Reasoning -
22 lr - Because everyone needs a good rifle chambered in 22 lr, if I could only have one rifle it would have to be a 22 lr, inexpensive to shoot, lots of good ammo, and they usually get shot a lot more than any other rifles.

223 Rem - It can be downloaded to cover the 22 Magnum and your other smaller 20 and 22 calibers. Accurate and good combination of paper-punching ability and a great varmint, so much so that my 22/250's never come out of the safe anymore.

243 Win - It can be loaded to duplicate the 22/250 using 55 gr bullets and can easily handle deer/antelope, etc with the 95/100 gr bullets.

260 Rem - It can also handle deer/antelope, etc and is easily capable of elk within normal shooting ranges of 200 - 300 yds. All of this and just slightly more recoil than a 243, what's not to like about it.

I am like everyone else recommending stuff, I think that because this is what I generally use it must be the answer for everyone. Well, it may not be the answer for everyone but it surely has worked for me for a lot of years now.
If anyone could be left out it would be the 243 since there is more overlap between it and the 260 than anything else in my choices.
All minimal recoil cartridges and all are cartridges that have a great track record.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Barm. A heavier 30/06 like the Husky(10lbs with a scope) with a thick limbsaver pad will not recoil that much with reduced recoil loads. You may be intimidated by the noise of the rifle as much as the actual recoil.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
22 LR

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by JDK
22 LR

I can't go that far--a mild mannered, not-so-loud .22 centerfire would be handy for groundhogs without scaring the neighbors.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The last couple of months I have been downsizing what I have in rifles. I had way too much overlap and frankly maintaining them was becoming a pain. I think I am close to an ideal battery for my type of hunting and shooting. All of the rifles are bolt actions and there are a mix of stainless and blued and sporter and heavy barrel. The manufacturer's are a mix of Anschutz, CZ, and Remington. I thought about listing each, but it may muddy the waters, so I will just list the calibers:

I hunt squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. I also plan to punch some paper and make some trips out west for mule deer, elk, and antelope. If it was your rifle battery, what would you change, and why? Would you leave it alone? Add to it?

I keep going back and forth justifying each, but when I look at it from afar, I still see overlap. I need an objective eye from the 'fire.

I'd trip the 6mm Remington for sure, and likely the 260 Model 7 too, depending on how far out the mag box allows you to seat 140's. If I kept the 22-250, I'd put a 1-8 barrel on it and punch it to AI. What's the 223 twisted?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by JDK
22 LR

I can't go that far--a mild mannered, not-so-loud .22 centerfire would be handy for groundhogs without scaring the neighbors.

Does such a thing as a not-so-loud centerfire exist? .17HMR is very useful around neighbors. 30-06 does nice work on deer and elk.

Last edited by centershot; 01/19/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
22 long rifle
6 mm rem

Whelenman,
This is the ultimate cut down list. Two rifles. I know in my mind it would work, but my loonie tendencies might not allow me grin Plus the 6mm Remington is one I added late. My first deer rifle was not what I had wanted. It was Ruger 77 tang safety in 243 Winchester. The rifle I really wanted was a Remington 700 ADL in 6mm Remington. Nearly 25 years later I added to my collection.

I think you should send me the 6mm then. grin efw knows it's the" 257 Roberts, much improved"

Last edited by Whelenman; 01/19/17.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.