Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
What's the best barrel twist to stabilize 45 to 50 grain factory loads? Thinking Fiocci. Even if not ideal, what is the minimum?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9 twist is about as slow as you can find in an ar. I would someday like to try a 12 twist but it would have to be custom. Wilde is supposed to be a tighter chamber so that's what I normally get

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would agree with the 9 twist being ideal for that bullet range. The Wylde chamber would also be my choice.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Given you can't over stabolize a bullet I wouldn't ignore a faster twist

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I dont see why anything slower than a 7 twist would even be considered.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
8 or 9 twist

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I do, if your shooting bullets below 55 grains all you need is a 12 twist. Too much twist can mean you can't run your loads as hot. If you get close to wearing out your barrel slower twist can give you a longer lasting barrel because your bullets aren't so prone to come apart before getting to the target. 7 twist is too much, if you want to shoot bullets that heavy use something more powerful instead. I personally have had the best
Luck with my 9 twist barrels. I would go slower if I could get them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

7 twist will toast some thin skinned lighter bullets.... BTDT. Thats one reason.

But I don't like limiting myself ot light bullets, in fact over who knows how many hundreds of thousands of 223 AR rounds, I think we've shot about 1000 rounds of stuff 52 grains. And a few cases of ball 55 that was free, all the rest has been 60 to 69 minimum, and lots of it heavier than that because we shot to fair distances.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I do, if your shooting bullets below 55 grains all you need is a 12 twist. Too much twist can mean you can't run your loads as hot. If you get close to wearing out your barrel slower twist can give you a longer lasting barrel because your bullets aren't so prone to come apart before getting to the target. 7 twist is too much, if you want to shoot bullets that heavy use something more powerful instead. I personally have had the best
Luck with my 9 twist barrels. I would go slower if I could get them.
There are a few reasons not to go more powerful if using heavy bullets.

But you are right, if all the OP is going to shoot is light, there are more than a few PD guns with 12-14 twists... though I still say it limits your range severely.

Having more than a few shots at 1000 from my 223 under my belt, you don't alwyas need more power...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1&9 for the bullet weight you specified

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Faster twists can be just as accurate with lighter bullets, but slower twists will typically shoot marginal quality bullets better, and can be run a little faster. The faster twist exacerbates any imbalance in the bullet and it will go further offline. 12 twist would be ideal for 50-55 gr bullets You'd probably have good results with good quality barrel with faster twists, but the barrel may be more picky as to what it shoots good. Also depends on your definition of acceptable accuracy, which is probably different than mine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
once in a fit of stupidity I bought a Fulton Armory upper built with old Colt 1-12 barrels, shot 55's great, but when you hit SS109 type bullets it key holed them into nice "patterns" at 50 yards. Kind of fun to screw around with but sold it to a gentlemen looking specifically for that type of barrel. I have shot 40 grain VMax bullets out of a Noveske 1-7 chromed barrel and shot about the same as 55's, 62's. 1-9/wylde is where I would go dedicated to lw bullets.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gzig5
Faster twists can be just as accurate with lighter bullets, but slower twists will typically shoot marginal quality bullets better, and can be run a little faster. The faster twist exacerbates any imbalance in the bullet and it will go further offline. 12 twist would be ideal for 50-55 gr bullets You'd probably have good results with good quality barrel with faster twists, but the barrel may be more picky as to what it shoots good. Also depends on your definition of acceptable accuracy, which is probably different than mine.

I'll disagree with just as accurate, I will agree with sufficiently accurate for most uses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sample of one, but the 1 in 7" barrel I have used most often - a DD - is only fair in accuracy, with anything I have tried in it so far. I also have a Noveske, but have not shot it enough yet to form an opinion.

Think I'd try to go 8" or 9" twist for what the OP describes

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by rost495

I'll disagree with just as accurate, I will agree with sufficiently accurate for most uses.

You'll note I said "can be" not "will be" as accurate. I have one 7.5 twist match rifle barrel that shoots the light ones as good or better than the heavies and keeps up with any of my dedicated slow twist squirrel rifles, and another 8" twist that sprays the 50 grainers around. No doubt if all you are shooting is the light ones, it's worth finding a 12" twist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dedicated HP shooters who more or less use one barrel for a given bullet, generally use a twist that is just fast enough to reliably stabilize a given bullet.

FWIW.

But for sure a slow(er) twist will not stabilize longer, heavier bullets at some point, whereas it's much more likely that a faster twist will stabilize a lighter bullet & a broader range of weights, thus giving it more flexibility.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495

You'll note I said "can be" not "will be" as accurate. I have one 7.5 twist match rifle barrel that shoots the light ones as good or better than the heavies and keeps up with any of my dedicated slow twist squirrel rifles, and another 8" twist that sprays the 50 grainers around. No doubt if all you are shooting is the light ones, it's worth finding a 12" twist.
Can be is the same is is, at least thats what I take... keyboards are female dog sometimes, trying to get across our thougths. LOL. Well at least I've never seen one that could be. Suffice to say you and I are on the same page the nits are ripe for picking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 9 twist will smoke bullets like Sierra Blitz and Hornady SX. You need a 12 if you want to shoot light, thin jacketed bullets.

Last edited by BarryC; 01/19/17.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BarryC
A 9 twist will smoke bullets like Sierra Blitz and Hornady SX. You need a 12 if you want to shoot light, thin jacketed bullets.

You can go 1 in 14 or even 1 in 15 with these light bullets. Of course, these days, you won't see many off the shelf barrels with these twist rates.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/20/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10ring1, 219DW, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,114
Posts18,502,322
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.