Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well this is an interesting subject.

Imo, definitions of what should be considered as top long range cartridges, should be for all practical purposes strictly defined the by ballistic downrange performances from the muzzle; ie retained velocities, retained foot lb energy, trajectories, wind drifts etc.

In lieu of cartridges such as the 300 Win, 300 Bee, 300 WSM, including a 308 on the list just because it happens to be easier on barrels???,,,is a joke. Disagree with the author on that one.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'sco1,

Nosler doesn't get anything right and is best at Fabrications and Delusions.

They fhuqked their piece of fhuqking schit rifles up sooooooo badly,that it's TRACT funny!

NOBODY can Reload beyond their twist rate...............(grin)

Bob,

I know of nobody who shoots even a smidge of Long Range,that ain't thinkin' WIND/WIND/WIND and roughly in that order. Trajectory is Physics and a simplistic push of a button,though wind is VooDoo and encompasses many elements. A coupla clicks on an erector is moot in ele,but slippin' atmospherics and retaining impact velocity are assuredly not.

I've shot more than a buncha .30's(understatement),though in fairness,nothing greater than 30-378 in case capacity. The 300 Ultra trumps it in case design and a viable receiver's standpoint,but I'd just as soon be gunnin' a 300Winny. That due the correlation of case length,in regards to COAL and the ability to nab a nice throat in conjunction. MUCH prefer 7 Whizzum to all of it and I've of course done 7mm Remmie,STW and the ilk more than a bunch.

Prolly don't have (3) Montucky 7 Whizzum's on accident and may have shot a 162'Max in at least one of 'em,at least once.(grin)

Most folks overlook the constant,that as bore diameter/recoil is reduced...actual USE increases.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't...............

Liar Larry, the rifle pics on the rotten wood are stupendous...

'35,

I've only rebarreled (2) 264Win's to 257Wby,based solely upon projectile selection/performance of the time.

Have 260'd more than a smidge,suffered Grendel,flogged Creed',slummed Swede's and banged away 6.5-284 too...all while a 162A-Max soared like an Iggle.

It's tough for me to gun things that ain't been Invented yet.(grin)

While Boogers are too zooky for my tastes,Sierra's are a crapshoot at best,Nosler a fhuqking joke,Skinners are always reliable and JLK's rate their flight patterns. The Robustitude of Skinners steals that show,but the new kid on the block(Hornady),connects all of the dots in one fell swoop.

They dig beyond a Booger,Nosler don't rate conversation,SMK's are a cruel Terminal joke and the JLK supply pipeline can often derail. Hornie ELD's smack 'em all upside the head.

As to the .264/123 Skinner in particular...it won't fly with a .243/105 Hornie HPBT in like case capacity and gives up zero in Robustitude,though the Skinner will kick harder which is a Trump Card for some. The 105 do however make huge gains in logistics and pricing,which prolly don't suck,were I forced to guess and I am NOT. Hint.(grin)

The Montucky Creed' is THE Schnizzle. They got throating,COAL and twist rate correct. Feed ELD Factory Fodder and you've a minimal recoil BAD Bitch,that'll tidily CRUSH Myth's,Wives Tales and Drooling Dumbfhuqkery.

Might look like this.

[Linked Image]

Buck 'er back,live a leetle with a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker and it's prolly look like this.

[Linked Image]

The Montucky Chop,bein' farrrrrr more bang for the Buck,than an Ascent,Adirondack or similar.

[Linked Image]

I may be guessin'...but prolly ain't..................(grin)

URFUBAR,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise" that you went wayyyyyyyyy outta your road to refrain "your" 300's "particulars". Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free...you "lucky" kchunt. Congratulations.

Dangle some pics of that SINISTER 30 and all it's "attributes". LAUGHING!

I reckon it's farrrrrr from a "fluke",that all anyone can remember about you,is that you are a Whining Clueless Fhuqk. I'm also VERY "surprised" that you read my EVERY word and eye fhuqk my EVERY splendid pixel,you vicarious "hard charging" kchunt. Laughing!

In fairness,I've not shot a single 257Wby,though have shot out (5) spouts chambered same and welcome your "telling" me about that chambering too,mainly because you are doing "great". Someone who "knows" and "does" as "much" as you,is ALWAYS gonna be best served by asking questions,rather than attempting "answers". Hint.

Thank me later.

Funnier than fhuqk,when you amazingly STUPID Fhuqks,try to "tell" me stuff...so PLEASE continue,as I'm on the ropes.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...................

'Tire,

In a 264ShamWow,I'd do no other than the 147ELD.

Have yet to see ANY brass from Hornady,that was worth nearly a fhuqk,though admittedly have not tasted their ShamWow offering.

I've had very good luck in 300Whizzum,favorite bein' a fluted #4 Hart at 24" S/A 700 based and wearin' DBM in one of them there MacaMillion stocks. Have had multriple other OEM offerings chambered same and while sound,that Hart broke fhuqking hearts.

Have had alotta 300Winny's,'course multiple 300H&H's,multiple 300Roy's,Ultra and aforementioned 30-378 too. Pass the 300Winny,due particulars cited and rest assured I'm talkin' 700 based,due that COAL latitude. Hint.

The Creed' squirtin' that 147 will open eyes.

Hint...................

'shooter,

The 130 .264 JLK is a phenom and a dastardly Wicked Bitch.

The 147 flies as indicated and the pile driving ass is a Show Stopper.

Hornady STEALS the fhuqking Show...........(yet again)

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
To me the perfect LR cartridge is housed in a short action and flings high-BC bullets with (at the worst) manageable recoil and ideally light recoil. To that end I love my 7 WSM's. I'm currently building a 6.5 SAUM and have high hopes for it as well.

If I'm going long action, I'm going full-retard on it. To THAT end my other current build is a BBB (Big Braked Beast) in 338 EDGE. Would've gone Lapua but I wanted to repurpose a M700 action I had around anywayand a Lap is a shoehorn into a M700.

There's a lot of antiquated "info" out there. If you see someone mention "flatness", or MPBZ, in a long-range context (looking at YOU, Chuck Hawks!) run far away. Drift and impact speed are the parameters to look at IMHO.

With the great brass available the Creed certainly holds interest to me as a future explore, as does 6.5-284. However as long as the GAP/Hornady brass is serviceable the 6.5 SAUM will do everything the 6.5-284 does but with MUCH longer barrel life. I've got a bunch of the brass on hand, Bartlein just shipped the barrel, Manners should finish the stock "soon".... so I can soon see for myself if the Hornady/GAP brass is serviceable. Mixed reports out there.

You are your own worst enemy. If I were you, I would be mad at myself all the time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The NRA used to publish some real scholarly articles in the American Rifleman. Stuff like this article is below even a "for dummies" publication.

David Tubb's video of The One Mile Shot is threshold longrange. He shoots a 6.5/284 there.

The .338 Lapua is a longrange ctg, also the various Chey-Tacs. Sierra made a 350gr matchking for the .375 CT until a few years ago, but the .404 is the best known.

You got .338 Edge for longrange, and .50 Browning. There are also .30-378 & .338-378 which are also real longrange ctgs.

F-class and Across The Course (XTC) are longrange; technically, but... The bar keeps being raised. Yeah, if you shoot XTC with a Tubb 2000, you probably want the 6xc or a .22-250AI, or maybe a Dasher.

Longrange is a matter of perspective. The .338 Edge is the most popular hunter's ctg for longrange.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
And the ole '06 is just sitting back laughing!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hogan

The .338 Edge is the most popular hunter's ctg for longrange.

Really?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you don't have one?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went .358 Edge so I can practice with pistol bullets.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They all work if you hit in the vitals. It doesn't take much to kill a deer. Panhandle deer aren't big. Damn few people can hit a deer at 500 yards in the Panhandle. The wind blows 24/7 there.

Last edited by hanco; 12/22/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
info is little dated and out of touch.

Right now the 6.5s (Creedmore/260) are really top LR cartridges. I have a 6.5-06AI that is super.

There is really only one 308 bullet that has problems past 800 and that is the Sierra 168 SMK as it was designed for 300m shooting. Everything else is easily over 1000, albeit with lot more drop than the 6.5s, 7mm and 338.

Yes, the 338 Lapua has a serious advantage in LR MV, power and accuracy. Most are not lighter guns but very serious LR cartridge.

Lot of good 7mm possibilities but really need a faster twist barrel which does not come on 99% of factory guns.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Damn few people can hit a deer at 500 yards in the Panhandle.

Oh I don't know. I think if you aim a little low and a little far back and he is well-hung, you can hit'em in the panhandle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.