Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
After reading the thread on which caliber have you killed the most medium sized game with, I was struck by how many have used this great, old caliber for most of your kills.
1. Are you still using the 30/30?
2. I suppose that you own more rifles than a 30/30, so why do you continue to use it? Nostalgia? Love the rifle? Easy to carry? Etc.?
3. Do you hunt in thick country where long shots are pretty much non-existent?
4. Have you ever needed a rifle while hunting that had more range?
5. Feel free to answer any other question I should have asked...lol.

My reasoning for the questions is, it has been many years (25+) since I have seen anyone in the field with an old Winchester or Marlin lever action. When I was a kid (late 60's-70's), it was rare when we would get together and go hunting with friends/family that there was not at least 1 30/30 in the bunch. I would just like to hear from some of you if you don't mind.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
for some reason, there has grown a misconception
that when a bullet fired from a 30/30 reaches
100 yards, it makes a 90 degree turn into the dirt.
i think it's because so many these days read too
many "hunting" magazines, and maybe also that too
many spend too much time playing with a chronograph.
i think too many also spend too much time trying
to justify taking a marginal shot at game when they
should let whatever walk and wait for a better shot.
i've never been anywhere in this state where i
couldn't take game cleanly with a 30/30 with a
reasonable shot being presented. maybe a nilgai.
they'd probably need something a little stouter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well stated.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Look at the trajectories of the old cartridges, 44-40, 38-40, 45-70, 45-90, etc. and of course a round ball 45 or 50 cal.

Hunters and market hunters wiped out deer, elk, turkeys, buffalo, and bears in many states with those cartridges.

30-30 is a speedster compared to those obsolete cartridges that decimated game populations before conservation practices came into place.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Most of my deer hunting is northern NY western adirondacks. There are lots of 30/30s still in use, some as only rifles, some alternated.

My choices are a pre-war savage 99 featherweight in 30/30 with a Redfield receiver sight and a scoped .308 (kimber montana). Which one I use depends more on weather and mood than anything else.

Any deer I've taken with the .308 could have been killed with the 30/30 too, but some might have been tough shots because of the sights, not the cartridge.

I have an uncle and a brother that use 30/30s only (savage and winchester), several more cousins that use 32 win special model 94s part time. The problem is as these great old rifles age sometimes they just have to be retired, and there really isn't much for reasonably priced replacements unless you switch to other calibers and actions. For some unknown reason I've never seen anyone hunting with a marlin or Henry lever action.

An iron sighted savage 99 or winchester 94 make just about the best walking deer rifles. Comfortable to carry, quick to shoulder, plenty accurate, and fast follow-up shots when needed.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Come to think about it, I've taken running deer with my iron sighted 30/30 lever that I don't think I could have made the second (or 3rd) shot with a bolt action.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wouldn't feel too handicapped with a 30/30 out in the country especially with the 190 grain Buffalo Bore load. In close, it will do.

One of my mentors killed a lot of grizzlies with a 30/30 in close with the heavier round nose loads.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Easy to carry and I kind of like that nostalgia.
They can be really accurate too.... this is from a $250 used Marlin I bought... with my 2-7 Burris ballistic Plex on top I can actually ring the gong at 300 pretty easy... brass is easy to find its cheap to load for.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a 30-30 M36 when I was in my 20s and in the USMC. I would use it when I came home on leave. I killed a handful of deer with it, as well as a lot of rabbits and coyotes. It was fun.
I sold it and regretted doing so.

2 years ago I talked a friend out of his 336 rifle with a 24" barrel. I put a Lyman peep sight on it and I use 29.2 Gr. of AA 2230 and a 170 Gr Speer flat point. I am very pleases with it's accuracy. I have only killed one deer with it so far, but it's fun to carry and hunt with.

I am old not and I can't see as well as I could when I was a young man, but I carry the 30-30 when I feel like it, and it brings back a lot of found memories.

Last edited by szihn; 01/20/17.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

No. Downloaded 308 bolt gun the last couple seasons because my 30/30 has been borrowed.

2. I suppose that you own more rifles than a 30/30, so why do you continue to use it?

I would because I'm used to it. Ain't broke, don't fix.

Yes. Pretty much hunting at bow range.

No. Visibility runs out before the 30/30 would be out-ranged.

I like that it's a little quieter and gentler than a .30-06 or such.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Though I used a 308 Win to kill over a 100 whitetails, only six were more the 100 yards away. A 30-30 would have worked just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
After reading the thread on which caliber have you killed the most medium sized game with, I was struck by how many have used this great, old caliber for most of your kills.
2. I suppose that you own more rifles than a 30/30, so why do you continue to use it? Nostalgia? Love the rifle? Easy to carry? Etc.?

My reasoning for the questions is, it has been many years (25+) since I have seen anyone in the field with an old Winchester or Marlin lever action. When I was a kid (late 60's-70's), it was rare when we would get together and go hunting with friends/family that there was not at least 1 30/30 in the bunch. I would just like to hear from some of you if you don't mind.

1. Yes, every year.
2. Nostalgia, and a way of remembering my Father.
3. For the most part, yes.
4. I've pretty much avoided hunting an area that would allow a shot much past 200 yards. I did catch a bunch right at the end of legal shooting hours coming out and took one at 236 yards, about as far as I feel comfortable with. I routinely shoot that rifle to 200 yards at 8" targets, so the deer was pretty easy. It even stood sideways, so it was a classic "Field and Stream" shot. It went 20 yards and tipped over...

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 01/20/17. Reason: Jeez, the grammer!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by davet
Look at the trajectories of the old cartridges, 44-40, 38-40, 45-70, 45-90, etc. and of course a round ball 45 or 50 cal.

Hunters and market hunters wiped out deer, elk, turkeys, buffalo, and bears in many states with those cartridges.

30-30 is a speedster compared to those obsolete cartridges that decimated game populations before conservation practices came into place.

My grandfather had two rifles (pre-1900 1894 win 30/30 and a colt lightning 38-40), and six sons. My father and uncles all learned to hunt sharing that 38-40. Some of my older cousins used it too. It's still in the family, but worn out. It got to where it was just tumbling bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It feels more like hunting when I'm carrying a .30/30. It's more fulfilling to me. That's all I hunted with in 2016. I have two. One scoped and one open sighted.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

1. I really enjoy using my old 30/30. That said I like all my levers, 30/30, 35 Rem, 375 Win, 45/70.
2. Short, they point good, quick and handy.
3. Most of my shots are from 10-75yds, very rare I reach over 100yds.
4. No
5. Reloading is cheap and easy, factory ammo is about $13 a box if you don't want to reload.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not for several years because where i've been hunting of late shots over 200 yards are probable.

Grew up loving leverguns and still do.. Nothing feels as good in my hands - nothing.

Yes and no, often in the space of minutes rather than hours or days. Being prepared for anything when you are far from your camp or truck means carrying a rifle that is capable of doing whatever you might need it to do.

Sure. More than once, but no regrets.

Ammo questions?
Effectiveness on game?
Types of game taken?

I know, those are more questions, not answers.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks men. I have never owned one. My brother got my uncle's hand me down M94 30/30 and I got his Bulova watch that I put in a drawer...lol. Guess who he loved more than me? But it's been a while since my buddy who owns a gun/pawn shop has called me with an oddball caliber or Ruger that I would want and noticed the other day he has a couple of Winchester lever actions-a 30/30 and a 32. I had already decided if he got in a Marlin in a 35 Rem. I would take it off his hands, but after reading your comments, I might make a trip over there next week and see if one is still on the shelf. They are getting harder and harder to find so there's no time like the present. I do have a lever action, but it is a Win. 88 in 308, so it is a different kind of animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is almost un-American not to own a lever-action .30-30.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you do get one, strongly consider a receiver sight of some flavor.

I have found that style of sight much superior to the semi-buckhorn, and as I went through my 40s, that superiority increased.

And be prepared to be surprised at the effectiveness if you pay too close of attention to paper ballistics. Used within its' performance window, the lever rifle/.30-30 combo is capable of cleanly taking big game.

Hell, I even have a pistol in .30-30, but I'm not confident in my accuracy with that platform, but I'm quite confident of the round's ability to take game.

I've never really been much of a pistol shot, and I must subconsciously be proud of it because I don't seem to be getting much better.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I dodged the 30-30 for a long time. I considered it obsolete, slow, boring, blah, blah, blah. A few years ago when my niece and nephew started expressing interest in shooting / hunting, I realized I had a dilemma.

I went to a now deceased campfire member, gunsmith, and all-around great guy, Mickey Coleman, with a simple question. What gun and caliber should I start these kids with? He said that's easy. Let 'em shoot your 30-30. I was almost too embarrassed to tell him I didn't even have one.

Now I have a 30-30 that hardly ever leaves the truck. When I go to the woods, it is automatic that this gun is going. I'm still not real sure how I ever got by without one.

RIP Mickey

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 46 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.