Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just tried HT in dark room basement 3-4 min to let eye acclimate could not see it and had more adjustment, yours was broken.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The only one available for the cabelas deal us the 2-12....it has the cds lockable turret, but no side focus. The scope pictured in the ad is the 3-18.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Just tried HT in dark room basement 3-4 min to let eye acclimate could not see it and had more adjustment, yours was broken.

Just curious, Jimmy: Since the Zeiss HT has a stageless wheel and the dot was no longer visible, how could you know you had more adjustment? smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sid Gray
How much better is a vx6 optically, mechanically than a vx3?
Would a vx6 overwhelm a kimber montana or forbes?

I really like the larger FOV the VX-6's give and that the listed magnification is the true magnification. I think they are heads and shoulders above the VX-3's. Here's a 2-12 on a Forbes 308. and a 1-6 on a faux TI. The size of the 2-12 didn't bother me however, I did put a VX-R 2-7 on the Forbes to keep with the light rifle theme. Reality was only a 3.4 oz diff! I have a Forbes 280 coming that will wear the VX-6 2-12.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had the pleasure of using a 3-18x50 this past deer season. Personally I think it's a great scope. It suited my needs very well. Great eye relief, simple to use, clear optics and I was able to see game at reasonable distances at all legal shooting times. The draw to the scope initially was it was made by Leupold, and I liked the 3-18 variable. As everyone knows Leupold stands behind their products. The Alumina scope covers were just icing on the cake. For my applications it was perfect fit.

[Linked Image]

You ain't about that life.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Tell us about that rifle.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Alaska Lanche, what height Talley LW rings are on your Montana VX-6 setup?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Because when you can't see you the dot you can still turn it and it don't get brighter, I actually own one you know.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Because when you can't see you the dot you can still turn it and it don't get brighter, I actually own one you know.

Good for you. I am glad yours will adjust so dimly. As you know, the Victory Varipoint uses a similar system in terms of adjustment, and it doesn't adjust as dimly as the Kahles or Leica, either. Ditto for the Victory FL. No, I don't own the FL or Henny in the photo but had them here a while last week to review for a friend. And I hate to re-post these photos but -- being that you say you "actually own one" -- it seems you think I am just guessing on what I have stated. Again, both of my Kahles and Leica scopes adjust more dimly than the Zeiss Victory HT. And the Leica goes even a step below the Kahles and affords what I consider the perfect level of illumination for night shots, though I have no complaints on the CSX as it has proven itself in some tough lighting. By the way, do you mind sharing the serial # and model of your scope because I'd definitely like to see what Zeiss has to say regarding the discrepancies? You can PM it to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BobbyTomek,

Those 72mm scopes look pretty exciting. How much moon do you need in order to see animal targets at night?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ringman-While they won't necessarily add days to your hunting over a good 56mm, what the 72mm scopes will do is transmit more detail to your eye and allow you to use higher magnifications, and those 2 factors combine to make those difficult moonlight shots a bit easier.

If atmospheric conditions are in your favor, 5-6 days either side of a full moon are possible for the type of shots I take. For someone who can stalk and get closer, that undoubtedly could be extended. But I am mobility-limited and only have the option of 150-200 yards from a rest near the house.

But the view through the 72mms is certainly pleasing... smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BobbyTomek,

Sounds great. I noticed two brands in your photo. Is one better than the other?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
At that level of quality, it's more personal preference than anything else -- and there is certainly no loser in a direct comparison of these two.

Without getting into too much detail: The Henny gave a slightly more contrasty and thus more vivid daylight image than the Victory FL, but things evened out in that regard in moonlight. Both resolve detail extremely well and have excellent edge-to-edge sharpness, with a slight advantage going to the Henny due to a bit less swirling effect at the extremes. Also, both have exceptional flare control, though the Henny is slightly better than the Zeiss in that regard. I also detected slight ghosting from the ocular in moonlight from the Zeiss FL, something I have noticed with the Victory and Victory HT series as well. It is certainly not bad, but it's one more thing that can work against you in the poorest of lighting. With that being said, unless someone spends quite a bit of time behind the scope, chances are they will never, ever notice it in the first place.

But again, at this level of quality, there are no "losers" in a comparison, and there are more similarities than differences -- which shouldn't be surprising considering their pedigrees.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice toys, Bobby; they're obviously effective.

You have more money in glass than rifles.

You must like T/C Contenders, from a lefty perspective I can see the attraction. (I figured lefty from the stocks).

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DF-
I do believe in good glass, but the 72s aren't mine and were returned last week. Thought about finding and boxing up a couple of Barskas to send him and blame the mailman but didn't think my friend -- who is aware of my attraction to good optics -- would buy that story ha ha! smile

I do shoot left-handed. I am right-handed but left-eye-dominant.

Yep, I love the Contenders. I used them quite a bit as handguns until my health issues and severe pain in the hands forced me away from that. So I adapted, tried them in rifle format and never looked back. The cartridges are mild but will take care of anything I ever need them to.

But back to the scopes: I've gone through quite a few looking for that elusive -- and non-existent -- perfect optic. But one that really has my attention is the Leica ERi 3-12x50. Its resolution is the best of any scope I have tried, and the splendid contrast levels make for a rich, vivid image.

I've sold off some of my guns to upgrade my optics. I've decided that I'd rather have just a few guns with great glass than more rifles with average optics. My opportunities to bag anything are minimal as I am very limited in what I can do, so I want to make the most of those fleeting moments. And since most of my shots are hogs in poor lighting, good glass is a necessity if I want to get to pull the trigger.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
DF-
I've sold off some of my guns to upgrade my optics. I've decided that I'd rather have just a few guns with great glass than more rifles with average optics.

Agreed.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
DF-
I've sold off some of my guns to upgrade my optics. I've decided that I'd rather have just a few guns with great glass than more rifles with average optics.

Agreed.

Makes sense to me.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by LCH
Cabelas has them 2-12x42 for 699 as a closeout.

Great thread. Cabela's just took my $. I had been thinking about a VX3i previously.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Just placed an order with Cabelas also.
Sale price $699.00
10% off with free shipping club promo =-$70.oo - shipping $19.95
- $53.83 in club points
Total price = $576.16

Also earned another $11.17 in club points

Last edited by BLACKTAIL 8541; 01/23/17.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.