Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by viking
Chit stirer extraodinare.

As many jobs as that guys had he must be at least 137 years old, we're spose to be kind to the elderly. laugh

Oh, I don't know. I've been a police officer, Chief of Police, Federal Agent (retired), Director of Security for a multinational company and finally a registered nurse. Seems like there's a lot to be said for upward and onward and then back to service. Some people do things in their lives.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 01/22/17.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've only been a farmer and a janitor for near 35 years of work, I'm easy I guess. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, your resume isn't as long...but I'd bet you have more calluses than I do. Maybe a few more scars.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ringworm
My 28 years toting a pistol concealed and 8 in a duty rig would surely bore this salty crowd.
I obviously have much to learn hereon the internet... since I've made it this far on pure luck.

I have been carrying a gun for a living since 1988. I am all ears, ready to listen about your actual experience being personally involved in gunfights.

BTW, I know plenty of actual cops, versus MPs who have carried a gun in a duty rig for far more than 8 years and never once fired a shot in anger, so please elaborate.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Another wannabe internet fee-nom stirring the pot to get his hit-count up.

Exactly.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I always get the twp "rings" confused....which ones the idoot?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by whelennut
Law enforcement has different needs than a Civilian with a carry permit.
We are taught that using a firearm is a last resort.

I can't imagine being in a situation where flat trajectory
is an advantage.
What I want is a way for me to protect myself from a guy with a knife or getting knocked down and kicked in the head.

What state allows LE to use deadly force in anything but a "last resort"

Nowhere have I ever seen a state or federal code that says "Deadly force is authorized in defense of self or others, against threat of death, or grave bodily injury, except for cops, who can do whatever they feel like, because it doesn't have to be a last resort." crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by whelennut
Law enforcement has different needs than a Civilian with a carry permit.
We are taught that using a firearm is a last resort.

I can't imagine being in a situation where flat trajectory
is an advantage.
What I want is a way for me to protect myself from a guy with a knife or getting knocked down and kicked in the head.

What state allows LE to use deadly force in anything but a "last resort"

Nowhere have I ever seen a state or federal code that says "Deadly force is authorized in defense of self or others, against threat of death, or grave bodily injury, except for cops, who can do whatever they feel like, because it doesn't have to be a last resort." crazy

Dammit!!! NOW you tell me, after I'm retired!!

wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Well, your resume isn't as long...but I'd bet you have more calluses than I do. Maybe a few more scars.

wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I'm not so sure bad guys have changed much. Back when all revolver rounds were RNL or RNFP, men wrangled horses, chopped wood, shoveled coal or carried railroad ties. They drank rotgut whiskey, warm beer and some used/abused the drugs of their day. They roved in predatory gangs, recognized no law, stayed on the run longer and perpetrated acts every it bit as sick as what you see today. Does anybody here think those SOB's were less tough/easier to stop than today's average man?

I think not. They still have the same anatomy.....

Take a look around you. See any size difference from 100 years ago? No? I see multitudes of people who outweigh the average early 20th century man by 100 lbs or more. Many with fat, and some with muscle. There is very likely to be considerably more flesh to penetrate.

...and the part of my post you did not quote, covers that.

Americans have, on average, gained about 30 pounds of weight and 4" of height since the Civil War. There have always been people substantially larger/heavier than average. The idea is to use something that will work on any of them. You punch one or two large, heavy pistol bullets through the middle torso, between the navel and clavicular and within a couple inches of the centerline- and the results will be the same regardless.

Pistol wounds roughly equate punching a rod through the body and withdrawing it in milliseconds. You want a 3/8 rod or a 1/2" one? Round end or square? You want an 8" rod or a three-footer?

Obsession over trick bullets only confuses what post-mortem makes clear.

Oh yes, I see (now) that we are actually in agreement. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
"but I've also treated more gunshot wounds than most military medics that have been to war" states GG.

Of all the ignorant, self aggrandizing statements that you have made this tops the list.

mike r
Please expand, why is that statement ignorant and self aggrandizing?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by GunGeek
"but I've also treated more gunshot wounds than most military medics that have been to war" states GG.

Of all the ignorant, self aggrandizing statements that you have made this tops the list.

mike r

My 25 year medical career started as an army combat medic in 1966 w/ 27 months in Vietnam w/ several units regularly engaged in heavy combat. The next 21 years were spent as an UC cop, an EMT, paramedic and PA. I worked for the first 9 years as a street medic in LA and Las Vegas, both intense environments w/ high call volumes. I then spent 2.5 years working 12 hour days in trauma centers in Denver and Las Vegas. The next 12 years I was a vetted govt. contractor working on SRT units worldwide.

I saw far more GSWs in the 1st 2 years than all the rest of a rather event filled career.

You talk crap that you can't back up. Which hard core ghetto was it that produced such a huge percentage of GSW calls? Let's hear it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

mike r

My 25 year medical career started as an army combat medic in 1966 w/ 27 months in Vietnam w/ several units regularly engaged in heavy combat. The next 21 years were spent as an UC cop, an EMT, paramedic and PA. I worked for the first 9 years as a street medic in LA and Las Vegas, both intense environments w/ high call volumes. I then spent 2.5 years working 12 hour days in trauma centers in Denver and Las Vegas. The next 12 years I was a vetted govt. contractor working on SRT units worldwide.

I saw far more GSWs in the 1st 2 years than all the rest of a rather event filled career.

You talk crap that you can't back up. Which hard core ghetto was it that produced such a huge percentage of GSW calls? Let's hear it.

mike r

In terms of exposure to combat, Vietnam is an anomaly. Never before or since has US soldiers been exposed to so many days in combat; we learned a lot of lessons from that war and we don't do that to soldiers anymore.

So with the exception of a Vietnam medic, my statement stands. My cousin was a medic in both Afghanistan and Iraq, and he told me that he encountered GSW victims about 2-4 per week per 6 month tour. Using that as an average, I've treated MUCH more GSW victims.

I averaged 2-4 GSW victims per month working full time as a paramedic, and I was a paramedic for 16 years. So do the math.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I guess you are forgetting WW1 & WW2. as well as other conflicts around the world that weren't as publicized.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I guess you are forgetting WW1 & WW2. as well as other conflicts around the world that weren't as publicized.

According to statistics, a combat soldier in WWII saw 40 days in combat in 4 years. It was less in WW I as we were only there for 1 year.

http://www.uswings.com/about-us-wings/vietnam-war-facts/

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've never cared much for "The Yankee Marshal" on Youtube. He's very opinionated, just not very bright. I will say that in terms of "advantages" NOT performance, his argument has some merit..not much at all.. but some.

What I am curious about is if any testing of value has been done with the newer, light for caliber solid copper bullets for the .45acp. I met a retired cop at the range a few months ago who was shooting a full size Glock 21 (13+1 capcity) of 78gr copper HP at 1900 fps. I've seen no data on this load, but my immediate reaction was.. WOW..huh??

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your response, w/ its'sample of one, proves you are an idiot. Again, which major metro area produced the high volume of GSW calls and were you the only medic responding in your community?

Keep digging.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Your response, w/ its'sample of one, proves you are an idiot. Again, which major metro area produced the high volume of GSW calls and were you the only medic responding in your community?

Keep digging.

mike r
If you do some research, my "sample of one" is pretty much typical.

Sacramento CA, specifically South Sacramento. And that's not a real high number of GSW's. On your average day in Sacto (when I was a medic) I would hear about 3 or 4 shooting calls go out. Of that typically one or two would be hit. On the weekend shooting calls were 8-10, and about half would be hit.

Sacramento even today has a high crime rate, but back in the '80's they were near the top (and sometimes at the top) for highest murder rate in the nation.

But it's not so much a high GSW volume as it was 16 years on the job.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

According to statistics, a combat soldier in WWII saw 40 days in combat in 4 years. It was less in WW I as we were only there for 1 year.

http://www.uswings.com/about-us-wings/vietnam-war-facts/

Fire fights lasted months and the Marines took islands and had a very high casualty rate. Too many fought more than one campaign and I'm calling BS on 40 days in 4 years.

1,076,245 Soldiers were wounded in WW11 and 291,557 killed in action.

Profile of US Servicemen (1941-1945)
38.8% (6,332,000) of U.S. servicemen and all servicewomen were volunteers
61.2% (11,535,000) were draftees
Average duration of service: 33 months
Overseas service: 73% served overseas, with an average of 16 months abroad
Combat survivability (out of 1,000): 8.6 were killed in action, 3 died from other causes, and 17.7 received non-fatal combat wounds
Non-combat jobs: 38.8% of enlisted personnel had rear echelon assignments—administrative, support, or manual labor.
Average base pay: enlisted—$71.33 per month; officer—$203.50 per month

Last edited by jwp475; 01/25/17.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Keep digging.

mike r
If you do some research, my "sample of one" is pretty much typical.

Sacramento CA, specifically South Sacramento. And that's not a real high number of GSW's. On your average day in Sacto (when I was a medic) I would hear about 3 or 4 shooting calls go out. Of that typically one or two would be hit. On the weekend shooting calls

were 8-10, and about half would be hit.

Sacramento even today has a high crime rate, but back in the '80's they were near the top (and sometimes at the top) for highest murder rate in the nation.

But it's not so much a high GSW volume as it was 16 years on the job.

I guess you were the only 1st responder sent to GSW calls 24 hrs/day and 365 days a year. Give it up.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.