Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Building a couple Mausers in .270 for when my boys get a bit older. Getting close to optics, want something light and tough. My main 98 has a Classic K4 that has been just about perfect. The .270 being a bit flatter shooting than the 8x57, I would rather mount up 6 power optics. I know the exterior dimensions of the K4 & K6 are identical. Just wondering how much shorter the eye relief is on the K6, if it's pretty close it should work, if not I'll have to go another direction.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their website says 3.15" for the 6x and 3.43" for the 4x.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
1/4" shouldn't be a deal breaker, looking at doing Bell & Carlson stocks, they have a LOP 1/4" shorter than my McMillan, so it should work out just fine.

Thanks,

Tim

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
1/4" shouldn't be a deal breaker, looking at doing Bell & Carlson stocks, they have a LOP 1/4" shorter than my McMillan, so it should work out just fine.

Thanks,

Tim

For me, the difference between the two was a deal breaker.

I had to crawl up the stock on a 270 Ruger to see well with the K6 where the K4 wasn't bad. I tried the K6 on a long action model 70 and didn't care for it there either.

I will only mount the K6s on short actions now and prefer the Leupold FX-II 6x36 on long actions, or just stick with the K4 if I don't want to spend the extra money.

FWIW, that's my take.
Rob

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Thanks,

Tim

I had to crawl up the stock on a 270 Ruger to see well with the K6 where the K4 wasn't bad. I tried the K6 on a long action model 70 and didn't care for it there either.

I will only mount the K6s on short actions now and prefer the Leupold FX-II 6x36 on long actions, or just stick with the K4 if I don't want to spend the extra money.

FWIW, that's my take.
Rob

I agree exactly with the above assessment. The Weaver K6 is great on a Remington short action--not so much elsewhere.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Thanks,

Tim

FWIW, that's my take.
Rob

I agree exactly with the above assessment. The Weaver K6 is great on a Remington short action--not so much elsewhere.

Then maybe I should get a Leupold, got a 6x36 on a Savage long action and it's nice. Just don't like the fact that if I want a standard plex and a matte finish I have to get it from the custom shop.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Then maybe I should get a Leupold, got a 6x36 on a Savage long action and it's nice. Just don't like the fact that if I want a standard plex and a matte finish I have to get it from the custom shop.

I hear you on the Leupold 6x36 and standard duplex vs wide duplex. Seems stupid right? Most of us have had the same complaint. That said, I run both standard and wide duplex reticles and for my purposes and hunting both are fine and the only real problem is a matter of personal preference for one over the other.

But yes, on a long action, pass me the Leupold 6x36 every time. Thanks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I sold all of my Weaver k6 scopes because of the mounting, short eye relief issue and replaced them with Leupold 6x36s. Had to use a reverse front on a M-70 short action to mount a K6. They work fine on a short action M-700 or 22s.

I found out last year that I could order a 6x36, matte, regular duplex from Leupold's custom shop at no extra cost over the wide duplex. I did that rather than send my WD back for a $60 reticle replacement. Really don't mind the Wide Duplex but prefer the regular duplex. Leupold should make the regular duplex the default reticle and the wide duplex as an option. I doubt they'd sell many of the WD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a new K6 on a Zavasta Mauser 30/06.

The scope was great but I needed a Picatinny rail to make it work. The front ring was nearly over the center of the action.

With a Tupperware stock and some Weaver Tactical rings it looked kind of cool. But that probably isn't the style your looking for. It wasn't my style choice either but I just went with the flow to make everything work.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote on the K6 having too short eye relief. It's a pity as it's a well built reasonably priced scope, but I just can't get comfortable that close to a scope.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,110
Posts18,502,282
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.