-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd recommend taking a long hard look at the 6.5x55 Swede. I was in a similar situation as you several years ago and after considerable research and deliberation, I decided on the Swede for several reasons. I'm not a high velocity guy and I'm not a magnum guy - I really see no need for them. I like classic cartridges and I know I'm not the first to say it, but the grand old classic cartridges are still around and are still going strong for a reason - they work and they work well. Additionally, the 6.5 SE has very high sectional density, and is a fine long range caliber if loaded to its potential. The real world performance is far beyond what the ballistics might suggest as well, and as I'm sure you're aware, the 6.5 is considered a fine moose caliber in Europe. The mild mannered Swede is easy to shoot accurately and there are some great rifles on the market to choose from. I also believe that the 6.5 SE will be around for many, many more years, while some of the "new-fangled" cartridges will have come and gone. Bottom line: choose what meets your criteria and don't look back. The truth is, you really can't go wrong with any of these choices. Find a rifle you like and choose your caliber based on what's available in that particular rifle. Since I prefer CRF/Mauser actions I went with a CZ 550 (6.5 SE) and I am very pleased with both the rifle and it's performance and these rifles can still be found on the secondary market for very reasonable prices.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/23/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure I would be all keyed up to buy a gun I planned on shooting fewer than 100 rounds per year out of. I have some in the safe, but they all darn sure have way more than 100 round per year out of them when I was actively using them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Holy smokes! Too many to choose from. I've narrowed it down to 6.5 Creedmoor ... 26 Nosler ... 260 Rem ... 264 Win Mag ... 6.5 x 55. What gives? I want one but once I fill this gap in my current lineup, I don't want regrets. I have a big void between my 22-250 and my 30-06 that I think a 6.5 would fit perfectly. Here's what I do know, I reload so ammo is not an issue except maybe finding brass. I also don't plan on shooting it a TON, maybe 100rds a year max, except hunting occasionally so barrel life really isn't a factor. Recoil might be something I shy away from, not saying I can't deal with it but I just plain shoot better with low recoiling rifles. Also, a big factor can be what manufacturers currently offer in these chamberings. I don't typically do much to my rifles, the way I get them is usually how they stay. I have done a stock swap on occasion but that's about it. Advice???
............Well, it is going to depend on what your budget is (if you have one) and what kind of downrange performances you are looking for.

Of the five 6.5mm choices you mention above, the 26 Nosler given the same bullets and bullet weights, will give you the best MVs, the flattest trajectories and the best retained downrange velocities and energys. The only production 6.5mm round that exceeds the 26 Nosler ballistically is the new 6.5/300 Wby. But then you'll be looking at about $2300 or so for a new Wby Accumark.

So! Do what I'm going to do to fill my void as I have nothing smaller than 30 caliber. If you are looking for a top notch 6.5mm performer as I am, then look no further than a Browning X Bolt chambered in the 26 Nosler. Even though the 6.5mm/300 Wby has better performance, I cannot see spending another grand or so extra for the Accumark over the X- Bolt just to get another 150 or so fps.

26 Nosler ammo is plentiful here, at least in So Cal anyway. And brass availability should not be a problem either. Brass/ammo can be ordered from Nosler and Midway USA.

Concerning recoil? The 26 Nosler Brownings have muzzle brakes. Should be a recoiling pussycat. If you can handle the recoil of your '06 ok, then the 26 Nosler should be a piece of cake. Among other videos, you can go on you tube and see a video review showing the 26 Nosler being fired from the bench chambered in the Nosler Liberty rifle.

Obviously imo, Browning saw great potential in both the 26 and 28 Nosler rounds or they would not be offering them in the X Bolt.

Although I have no need for either, I sense 30 and 33 Nosler offerings coming from Browning too.

Cannot go wrong with a Browning.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As an after thought, Browning is chrome lining the barrels in all of their 26 Nosler X Bolts. According To Browning, chrome lining the bores help to increase barrel life.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I'd recommend taking a long hard look at the 6.5x55 Swede. I was in a similar situation as you several years ago and after considerable research and deliberation, I decided on the Swede for several reasons. I'm not a high velocity guy and I'm not a magnum guy - I really see no need for them. I like classic cartridges and I know I'm not the first to say it, but the grand old classic cartridges are still around and are still going strong for a reason - they work and they work well. Additionally, the 6.5 SE has very high sectional density, and is a fine long range caliber if loaded to its potential. The real world performance is far beyond what the ballistics might suggest as well, and as I'm sure you're aware, the 6.5 is considered a fine moose caliber in Europe. The mild mannered Swede is easy to shoot accurately and there are some great rifles on the market to choose from. I also believe that the 6.5 SE will be around for many, many more years, while some of the "new-fangled" cartridges will have come and gone. Bottom line: choose what meets your criteria and don't look back. The truth is, you really can't go wrong with any of these choices. Find a rifle you like and choose your caliber based on what's available in that particular rifle. Since I prefer CRF/Mauser actions I went with a CZ 550 (6.5 SE) and I am very pleased with both the rifle and it's performance and these rifles can still be found on the secondary market for very reasonable prices.

Never owned 6.5mm rifles save 2 Swedes. A M70 FWT and now a Howa 1500. I am very impressed with the caliber and how easy it is to find accurate, high velocity(relatively speaking) loads for same. I'm a believer.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11765355/6.5's_by_the_numbers#Post11765355

hope this helps:

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The more rifles you have means there is less chance of ever wearing one out.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.